Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD CPU? Think again!

BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The good folks at Tom's Hardware put GW2 through it's paces - how do things stack up?

On the graphics card end, plenty of great options from both Nvidia and AMD that run the game very well.

But on the processor side - Intel (especially Sandy Bridge) just dominate.

Makes Phenom II owners like myself very, very sad.

Hopefully Anet patches in some better optimization for AMD CPU's!

Read up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    AHHHH Intel sandy Bridge only chip that requires awesome sauce as a thermal paste.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by kruler
    AHHHH Intel sandy Bridge only chip that requires awesome sauce as a thermal paste.

made me lolz (that AND the avatar :p )

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    No wonder they've toned down their aggresiveness towards Intel in the CPU market. What a disaster Bulldozer was.

Eleanor Rigby.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Running it on two amd systems here, one dual core and one quad core. Plays fine on both and they both have less than what I would call high end video cards. Ofcourse the i7 is going to outperform as they do for everytning else I know of. One thing I do know is next time I'm going intel and nvidia.....
  • spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I'm so glad I bought an i5 instead of an amd back when I built my current machine. Sure it was more expensive. But it clearly was better too.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

My performance in game reflects this from Tom's 100%

Seriously making me consider going out and buying a new board and SB i5.

My system runs the game "OK" but I'm honestly at medium on a fair amount of stuff to keep 30-40+ FPS at 1080p.

This is with 8gb Kingston RAM, HD 6870 OC'd and PhenomII x4 OC'd to 4.0ghz!

Very sad.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I played like a junkie with a fix the past two days and my system ran great...and I have an old ass vid card. gogogogo phenum II quadcore

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by kruler

made me lolz (that AND the avatar :p )

Try reading that sentence with Mr T's voice. Cracked me up so hard, I'm not even gonna read the rest of the post.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Treekodar
    No wonder they've toned down their aggresiveness towards Intel in the CPU market. What a disaster Bulldozer was.

I have an older PC. I'm running an Intel Core2 duo 2.66 OC'd to 3.5
    4GB RAM (32 Bit OS) and HD6850.

All in all, this game runs smoother than Rift (by far) and even when I was in the TSW Closed Beta (although that's to be expected prior to full optimization)

Aside from an occasional client crash transitioning to cut scenes or changing zones, I've had a really good technical experience.

I am not even sure what my FPS is because it's good enough where I have not had to monitor it. Even during the swamp beast event, my frame rates were smooth as glass.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by BadSpock

My system runs the game "OK" but I'm honestly at medium on a fair amount of stuff to keep 30-40+ FPS at 1080p.

Very sad.

That's wierd... it's been the smoothest running game I've played in recent history.

I'm running a 9850 (2.5x4) at stock clock

8 gigs at 800 mhz

ATI  5770  OC'd quite a bit, can't remember the numbers, though.

1080P all settings cranked, but no AA

I'm getting solid FPS; wouldn't be surprised if it never dipped below 15, and hovers +30.

It runs WAY smoother than TSW on my machine.  I just assumed it was because of it only running DX 10.  But then, I find this thread...

Been spending most of my time in the human areas.  Maybe other areas are more gfx intensive?

Either way, LotRO likes to hitch alot(though the SSD helped that alot) and it slows down alot in crowds of players.  Same with TSW.  But GW2 and Rift both seem to run alot smoother in crowded areas on my machine, and in general.

• alilsneakyalilsneaky Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Robsolf

That's wierd... it's been the smoothest running game I've played in recent history.

8 gigs at 800 mhz

I'm getting solid FPS; wouldn't be surprised if it never dipped below 15, and hovers +30.

What the what?

So under 30 fps (as low as 15 holy cow) is smooth to you?

Thank god you added some numbers to your statement.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Very sad.

8 gigs at 800 mhz

It runs WAY smoother than TSW on my machine.  I just assumed it was because of it only running DX 10.  But then, I find this thread...

Been spending most of my time in the human areas.  Maybe other areas are more gfx intensive?

Either way, LotRO likes to hitch alot(though the SSD helped that alot) and it slows down alot in crowds of players.  Same with TSW.  But GW2 and Rift both seem to run alot smoother in crowded areas on my machine, and in general.

Thats a terrible frame rate with AA off you should always be above 30fps for a smooth ride.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by alilsneaky

8 gigs at 800 mhz

What the what?

In really crowded places, I'll take occasional 15 fps dips in 1080P full settings on a 3 year old rig.

My point isn't that my machine pwns, and I wasn't aware that this was a pissing contest.  My point is that GW2 runs smoother on my machine than many other games.  I'm not seeing performance dive bomb that others have experienced.  At all.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

I have a Phenom II X4 955 BE and it runs fine with mid to high settings (always above 45 frames) but I can't max it. I hope they'll fix it eventually (if there is really a difference to Intel). Gfx card is a MSI 6870 Hawk.

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I run a Phenom II quad, i've had no problems whatsoever. Fraps says i am getting anywhere between 50-75 fps. In situations where there are lots of particle effects i dip to 40-50. No problems whatsoever, barely even 1 crash.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by spacebot
    I'm so glad I bought an i5 instead of an amd back when I built my current machine. Sure it was more expensive. But it clearly was better too.

But if you spend the same money on an AMD processor wouldn't the game run just as fast or even faster?

Intel is expensive and they change sockets every two weeks, that's why I stick to AMD.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by thekid1

But if you spend the same money on an AMD processor wouldn't the game run just as fast or even faster?

Intel is expensive and they change sockets every two weeks, that's why I stick to AMD.

Nope.

Eleanor Rigby.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Intel is not that expensive, I upgraded all the house pcs to intel I5 early this year I2500k's they really kick ass.

Even tested against my friends more expensive AMD based pc it kicks ass

Originally posted by Treekodar

Nope.

Alright. Anyway, another good reason to wait for a free trial.

That's my feeling, too.  I went the Intel route with my last machine, a P4 3.0 HT.  They dumped the socket soon after and the best upgrade I could get was a 3.4 .  Seemed, at least then, they were abandoning sockets like they had cooties or something.

WIth AMD, they're still making AM3 Phenoms.  My system is 3+ years old and I can go from 2.5x4 to 3.4x4 for a little over a hundred bucks.

Originally posted by calranthe

Intel is not that expensive, I upgraded all the house pcs to intel I5 early this year I2500k's they really kick ass.

Even tested against my friends more expensive AMD based pc it kicks ass

The cheapest i5 processor is €150!

And that's for a so called "midrange" processor. I never pay over €100 for a processor.

That's my feeling, too.  I went the Intel route with my last machine, a P4 3.0 HT.  They dumped the socket soon after and the best upgrade I could get was a 3.4 .  Seemed, at least then, they were abandoning sockets like they had cooties or something.

WIth AMD, they're still making AM3 Phenoms.  My system is 3+ years old and I can go from 2.5x4 to 3.4x4 for a little over a hundred bucks.

Yep. my motherboard can take 5 year old processors but also the newest. Perfect for upgrading.

• alilsneakyalilsneaky Member Posts: 23

8 gigs at 800 mhz

What the what?

In really crowded places, I'll take occasional 15 fps dips in 1080P full settings on a 3 year old rig.

My point isn't that my machine pwns, and I wasn't aware that this was a pissing contest.  My point is that GW2 runs smoother on my machine than many other games.  I'm not seeing performance dive bomb that others have experienced.  At all.

I have a 3 core Phenom II myself, what are you on about saying 'pissing contest'

I was looking for performance info for my cpu and  your claim that it runs smoothly on a lower end cpu than mine is a load of horseshit given the numbers you have supplied.

15 fps is not smooth, a minimum fps of 30 is considered smooth enough (ideally you don't want to dip that low for a game to feel really smooth) and it certainly does not take a jesus pc to get that in the vast majority of games.

15 fps IS a performance divebomb, if I experienced it on my 3.5 year old 100 euro cpu and 70 euro mobo and my 150 euro 1 year old gpu (see all reasonably priced budget midrange parts)in games then I'd upgrade.

Point is: your statement of it being 'really smooth' is highly misleading (what hyperbole to pretend 15 fps is really smooth) and without the performance numbers added everyone with a similar cpu to yours would have been very dissapointed had they bought the game based on your advice only to find out it runs like shit.

I know standards for everything are really low in mmo babby land but this takes the cake.

8 gigs at 800 mhz

What the what?

I have a 3 core Phenom II myself, what are you on about saying 'pissing contest'

I was looking for performance info for my cpu and  your claim that it runs smoothly on a lower end cpu than mine is a load of horseshit given the numbers you have supplied.

I didn't come here to give you performance info, I came here to respond to the Badspock's OP.

15 fps IS a performance divebomb, if I experienced it on my 3.5 year old 100 euro cpu and 70 euro mobo and my 150 euro 1 year old gpu (see all reasonably priced budget midrange parts)in games then I'd upgrade.

Point is: your statement of it being 'really smooth' is highly misleading (what hyperbole to pretend 15 fps is really smooth) and without the performance numbers added everyone with a similar cpu to yours would have been very dissapointed had they bought the game based on your advice only to find out it runs like shit.

Dude.  Look at what I said again.  Since YOU underlined it, I'd have thought you knew what it said.  GW2, "the smoothest running game I've played in recent history".   That means that other games I've played have bigger dropouts and/or lower average FPS rates.  I gave TSW as an example for both issues.

I see no issue regarding GW2 running any worse than other games, and have seen quite the opposite.  That, again, was my point.  I get over 30 FPS thoughout most of the game(aka 30-62 FPS, the threshhold of "smoothness") and it sometimes drops below that in crowded areas.

In comparison, Stangard in LotRO can nearly turn into a slideshow.

I know standards for everything are really low in mmo babby land but this takes the cake.

I applied the same standard to GW2 as I have other games; the standard being: how it performs on my machine.

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25

8 gigs at 800 mhz

What the what?

15 fps is not smooth, a minimum fps of 30 is considered smooth enough (ideally you don't want to dip that low for a game to feel really smooth) and it certainly does not take a jesus pc to get that in the vast majority of games.

What is considered smooth is largely a matter of opinion. He thinks that staying around 30 FPS, and dipping to 15 FPS in a crowded area is smooth. You do not. It is an opinion. You do not have to agree with it.  The comments of one person should also not be enough evidence for someone with a similar CPU to go out and buy the game. If you dont like "mmo baby land" why are you even on these forums?