Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many subs do you think WoW could lose to GW2 in the coming year .

roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
I'm playing WoW at the moment as I'm away from home and only have access to a laptop which will play certain games . I have played the GW2 beta and I was impressed by what I've seen . In WoW in game chat the talk about GW2 is mostly possative and many friends say they will play both but some are considering giving up WoW for GW2 if they are still enjoying it as much when their current subs run out . Everyone I know personally in WoW is intending on playing gw2 at some point in the next few months . MOP seems to be getting mixed reactions by many people I know to say the least . Given WoW has recently seen rather large loses again I wonder what the impact may be to WoW numbers in the coming year . My guess is at least another loss of a million subs and I think Blizzard will respond by a vastly increased free2play ascpect to WoW within 12 months at which point we will never see any official subscriptoin numbers again simply income stats .

Comments

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    1 million.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Not many as GW2 isn't a long term investment game mnay players will finish the content and move on quite quickly.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20
    Dat post above ^^ but meh  il give it a 2 mil

[CENTER]image

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    i'd say about 12 subs.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

1 gazillion bajillion subs.

Bite Me

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Zero.    Who ever thinks GW2 is the next big thing really doesn't know a damn thing about MMO business.   The ones that think GW2 will slowly kill WoW are the same clowns that said SWTOR would kill WoW , and I for one always said TOR was garbage.  And looking at it today , I wasn't to far off my mark , a few yards away from the trash can.

Anyways , have a nice mindless discussion.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

@ OP

I don't think it's going to affect WoW drastically, as one poster stated 'WoW fans have blinders up". Players got a lot of time invested in WoW and the good percentage of playerbase will not leave it just because of that.

GW2 looks like players are having fun despite the prelaunch hiccups. Only time will tell if this game is a success or if it's just a downtime MMO from your main MMO of choice since their is no sub (I am still skeptical about B2P in general, when something is to good to be true, it usually is).

WoW has MoP coming out and it looks like it's on radar for most now since GW2 has arrived.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Not many as GW2 isn't a long term investment game mnay players will finish the content and move on quite quickly.

I thought GW2 was supposed to have the greatest end game ever that would last until our dying day?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I thought GW2 was supposed to have the greatest end game ever that would last until our dying day?

So "they" say, so they say.

Remains to be seen how well the long term appeal will be with out a steady stream of progression for people to chase.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I think wow may loose another million this year it depends on how they krank out content after MOP hits.  I don't think GW2 is the only factor that will pull people away, I believe the drive for new mmo fps's will also inject "fun" back into gaming.

And posts like this always crop up at the start of an mmo lets see 3/6 months down the road shall we.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Why would anyone have to unsub to ANY mmo they're subbed to? Did ANet introduce a subscription when I wasn't looking? Look at it this way:

I have GW2 bought and installed on my PC right now along with a dozen of other F2P games and because I don't have to pay 1 red cent for any of them I'm also currently subbed to TSW. Just the other day someone posted that the world first level 80 was accomplished in 2 days. Do you think I'm in a rush to play GW2 right now? I still have things to do in GW1 to boost my HoM score yet alone dive headfirst in a B2P title built around taking your time.

As for your OP. Blizzard will lose the same amount of subs they did when D3 was released.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Not many IMHO. I mean, every mmorpg takes something from WOW. Rift, TERA, SWTOR, etc, they all took a few of them, but only a small part.

It will also mainly come down to how long GW2's content lasts, how fun it remains, how fast the updates, endgame and alot of other factors like every other mmo.

MOP will also influence when it releases of course.

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Who really cares!
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    WoW will lose more subs to pandas than they will to GW2

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Probably very very few. The game's a one time payment so people could do both at the same time. People completely in love with GW2 might cancel their sub for a bit to avoid paying for a game they aren't playing but something tells me people will go back. Granted many people will leave WoW because its becoming garbage but it won't lose much cause of GW2 alone.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Zero,  yea that is right zero.   The reason is the folks who play wow are a different demographic.  In fact I not seen any drop off in any of the games I play.  It had zero relation in swtor, eq2, and tsw.  I still see the same old folks.

GW2 has a different type of player than the other games so they are not going to get your typical wow type players.  Just saying, folks want gw2 to kill wow, it not going to happen, only blizzard can do that to themselves.

• RettieRettie Member Posts: 8
    There is no way of telling. We can't see how many people unsubbed from WoW to play GW2.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    They will lost nothing. GW2 is a B2P game with no sub fee. GW2 has no meat and bones to it. People will run through this theme park like the 50 yd dash in the olympics and move on to the next mmo.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    At least not me. WoW lost me 7 years ago.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Zero.    Who ever thinks GW2 is the next big thing really doesn't know a damn thing about MMO business.   The ones that think GW2 will slowly kill WoW are the same clowns that said SWTOR would kill WoW , and I for one always said TOR was garbage.  And looking at it today , I wasn't to far off my mark , a few yards away from the trash can.

This was not necessary...

I have to agree. I have read many negative and positive replies concerning GW2. This is a good way for people to gather feedback and make decisions about the game. This guys comment kind of makes you shrug at his credibility concerning the topic if he just wants to discredit the rest of us.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

This was not necessary...

I have to agree. I have read many negative and positive replies concerning GW2. This is a good way for people to gather feedback and make decisions about the game. This guys comment kind of makes you shrug at his credibility concerning the topic if he just wants to discredit the rest of us.

Unless you are new to these forums, his statement stands. This particular topic has been brought up to ad nauseum and it's bordering insanity (you know, repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result). It never ends well no matter how mindful you think this tiresome topic is.

But there are those of us around here that keep it as civil as we can in this constantly revolving string of topics. I mean really if people around here cannot come up with original topics to discuss here, why are they expecting devs to come up with original mmos? Birds of a feather no?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    If I had to guess I'd say 15.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Nikkita

1 gazillion bajillion subs.

Agreed!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Theocritus

It will be better than that!  You will pass your character down to your children and they will pick up the GW2 torch where you left off.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i dont see blizzard losing any subs unless players lose interest in the game

- and thats more to do w WOW than anything else

the only way GW2 (and other games) will have an impact on WOW is

inactive players have more options to choose from instead of re-subbing to WOW