Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im already tired of getting zerged everywere on the map

DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I really wish they would remove all the icons telling people where others are fighting, me and some friends tried all night to go away from the zerg and do our own thing only to have the other servers zerg track us down because every time we fight that little icon pops up on the map showing everybody in the world that fighting is happening in that spot.

It got so bad that we attacked a camp for like 1 min then backed off and watched 50 people show up within a min looking for people to zerg stomp.

standing around in a mob of 100 people clicking tab and mashing the aoe button just isnt that fun to me, im sure plenty of fanbois are going to torch this thread but it doesnt matter how you slice it WvW is a giant zerg fest that takes zero skill.

im sure plenty of people are having fun and im glad keep at it. at least i can log in when ever and check it out for awhile and not have to pay a monthly fee.

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Yeah it is better that you dont know where people fight so you walk alone in the zone.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

:-( 

Thats disappointing...  I have not had much of a chance to spend time in the Mists yet...

I had hopes for it to be very DAoC RvR feeling...

Shame.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    I think the worst part of WvWvW is that you might not be able to play it. If you are on a busy server and don't get on at the right itme. Good luck
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Yeah it is better that you dont know where people fight so you walk alone in the zone.

Missed the point of the thread.  

Its not fun if every time you attack anything there is an icon that shows everyone on the map where you are.  

Its pretty much basic logic and common sense...

Just think about it for a moment, lets say that you are playing Halo, and the instant that you fire a gun everyone knows exactly where you are and runs to you.  Or really any game...

Sneaking, tactics, all that goes right out the window.

Bad game design.

If DAOC had this no one would have RvRed

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Its not fun if every time you attack anything there is an icon that shows everyone on the map where you are.  

Just think about it for a moment, lets say that you are playing Halo, and the instant that you fire a gun everyone knows exactly where you are and runs to you.  Or really any game...

Bad game design.

That's actually what they do in some console games, you shoot and a marker appears on the map.

I think atm the real problem is that the server elo isnt working or something, so if you were matched against a server that has the same amount of players then the markers make a bit more sense, so what happens is you get unbalanced sides (having said which ive not played yet, only watched a few streams this morning).

Hopefully server match making will improve, and the markers will become more useful, even deceptive towards zerg mobs.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

ok, pro pvp tactics for free.....find out where the zerg is, make the "alarm" go of on the map......wait for zerg, then flank am with 100 people from the left and the right and OWN them......pvp is tactics.....use these "map icons" as decoys.....zergs are easy to break up when flanked.....but people dont talk tactics in pvp anymore (except for good pvp guilds witch will own you).

lolz

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    As ex-DAoC players have predicted, WvW will very quickly become mindless zergfest. There are many reasons why this is happening but the main one is that they reward only attacking/defending objectives and not player killing. 
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think they put the indicators into the game to make it more casual player friendly, make it easier and quicker to find the foe. Joe or Jane casual player has quite limited attention span so likely gets frustrated at having to stalk out an unkown enemy force. Doing it this way, though, means WvWvW is a zerg with no place to hide once you engage in it.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I thought the game was all about exploration?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Bad game design.

Point is, with the Frontier Expansion it was the same/or similar in DAoC. I dont think the marker is that much of a problem, but the maps have to be big enought, that not everyone and his cat is there within a minute. And maybe marker should just appear after at least 10 ppl are in battle and not before. Maybe Anet have to adjust some mechanics. We will see.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    As ex-DAoC players have predicted, WvW will very quickly become mindless zergfest. There are many reasons why this is happening but the main one is that they reward only attacking/defending objectives and not player killing. 

...which is precisely what DAoC was, a mindless zerg fest.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80

Thats disappointing...  I have not had much of a chance to spend time in the Mists yet...

Shame.

I played DAoC too, and although the vibe is there...it's still not as good as the ol' Mid-Hib-Avs mechanics. Yes, the icons indicating where the fights are hurts...but this is strictly a numbers game PvP game. On Dragonbrand today, we were so outnumbered by Green that they had control of our entire borderlands, and had us hemmed into the keep where you first spawn in. We were that outnumbered.

I don't care how good you are, how skilled you are, if you read Sun Tzu and are a master tactician in your own mind, but on open ground without keep walls and siege weapons to help you, a zerg of 40 PUGs will demolish your team of 10 "l33t " guys every time.

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157

If I'm getting this right, youre going into the PvP zone to PvE? That's what it sounds like when you say "Do our own thing".

Also the action icons only show up on large scale fights. If it's just you and a few friends you should be fine. It also doesn't show up when you attack non-world PvE mobs. Like random wolfs, Etc. If you go attacking a caravan..OF F---KING COURCE THEY KNOW WHERE YOU ARE! Youre attacking a caravan. It's THEIRS ...they WILL come to defend it. So, pro tip, don't hit important things. If you don't like getting zerged...then travel with a large security detail...of about 50 people.

And to WoW Refugee. You are probably on a heavy PvE server. Good thing about WvW is it gets balanced in a week or two. So you'll be put against a server who is doing as bad or as good as you are. So those guys who are dominating you will meet their match. And chances are they aren't out numbering you...theyre just out maneuvering you. I saw that on our server today. It's pretty even atm, but they pulled some nice maneuvers. We knocked down keep doors and stormed in just to have blue come in behind us and take it right from under our noses. A great tactic "let them do the work...and we'll reap the reward." A bit underhanded, but it works time and time again. Big guilds will be come more concious of wha'ts going on in WvW you'll have people scouting the map to see where they are, Guilds coordinating flanks people actually building siege weapons and not just placing them down and now putting supplies into them.

People will tighten up their strategies. In fact I saw today where they came out of the water in a pretty massive force...they had thiefs pulling people off of the walls...they were killing our oil and catapults first and taking us out with mortars. These guys had their stuff together. So I think youre just being out maneuvered...

Give it time.

• GosseynGosseyn Member Posts: 26

Does death have any consequence?

Is it full loot?

Is there friendly fire?

If not i am already tired of this pvp by reading this thread.

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Gosseyn

Is it full loot?

Is there friendly fire?

Why would you want to full loot someone. You get medals from looting a player, but looting their gear is just stupid. And no theres no friendly fire thats even more moronic.

Only consequence for death is a long walk back to the action.

• SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Gosseyn

Is it full loot?

Is there friendly fire?

I used to play shadowbane pretty heavily, so I know all about full loot and friendly fire. They make for some interesting gameplay options. I played as a thief and used to wait in the shadows while groups were grinding on mobs and steal everything from their inventories before they even knew what was happening.

I realized quickly that if I stole while they were in combat and the action was heavy, they wouldn't notice me (stealing would pop you out of stealth temporarily). I had a lot of fun when they would call in a scout to track me and trying to evade the scout and get away alive was some of the most exciting pvp I ever experienced.

That being said, I'm glad GW2 doesn't have those mechanics in it. Shadowbane had more trash talking and trolling than any game I have ever played personally, and it really was not a casual friendly game. The game revolved around harassing others and making others miserable to make yourself happy... which is awesome when you are winning. GW2 is not as hardcore as games like that, and it makes for a much lighter experience with faster gameplay and combat that is going on all the time.

In WvW yesterday all three teams were fighting over this one tower at an intersection. The battle lasted for a couple hours, and there was times when I looked around me and I was surrounded by members of all three teams in every direction battling it out in an almost perfect recreation of braveheart =P

Shadowbane had that sometimes, but the battles were so few and far between that they were not nearly as accessible to the casual player I have become now. And in games like WoW that pit two teams against each other only, most big battles usually unfold as us standing here, them standing over there, and trading aoe spells and killing the few warriors that dare to charge in (I was that warrior btw, for 6 long years)... GW2 gets a lot messier because you can be fighting one team and get trapped by the other... nowhere to run, just fight to survive.

GW2 has its goods and its bads, more good than bad overall, but I certainly think it has a place in the heart of any pvp connoisseur that likes to experience all of the different forms of pvp. Is it for everyone... no, I doubt it, but it's a good game with enough thrills to keep me entertained for the time being.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I really wish they would remove all the icons telling people where others are fighting, me and some friends tried all night to go away from the zerg and do our own thing only to have the other servers zerg track us down because every time we fight that little icon pops up on the map showing everybody in the world that fighting is happening in that spot.

It got so bad that we attacked a camp for like 1 min then backed off and watched 50 people show up within a min looking for people to zerg stomp.

standing around in a mob of 100 people clicking tab and mashing the aoe button just isnt that fun to me, im sure plenty of fanbois are going to torch this thread but it doesnt matter how you slice it WvW is a giant zerg fest that takes zero skill.

im sure plenty of people are having fun and im glad keep at it. at least i can log in when ever and check it out for awhile and not have to pay a monthly fee.

I can see how having a marker showing where fighting is going on in pvp would be a game breaker but this is early game still. I am sure once people get the hang of the pvp and the areas theyw ill go about it in a much more organized manner

There are events and places to attack and after the initial frenzy wears thin people will fight in more organized manners ...I hope

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I im sure plenty of fanbois are going to torch this thread 

Oh noes, the F word! The F word!

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    When I called it a zergfest from one area to the next people called me a troll. Now everything is coming to fruition as what I have been saying. Sorry to hear you are getting disappointed OP! Games are supposed to be fun not frustrating.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I am going to wait until after launch and the dust settles before I start being concerned with the pvp zergs. I am sure anet will act accordingly. The main point to remember. They have to watch what happens before they can change anything.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Calerxes

I thought the game was all about exploration?

In the exploration part, yes. Were you being intentionally obtuse or was that a genuine question?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I agree that I didn't really start enjoying the game until I got away from the zerg a bit.  It was impossible to tell if I was playing worth a crap or even why I was doing it.

Once my wife and I got to a less populated non starter zone the game became a blast.

Oh duh, OP is talking about PvP lol...well these are my thoughts on PvE haha.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

...which is precisely what DAoC was, a mindless zerg fest.

No, no it wasn't.  There were many ways to avoid the zerg, fight on it's fringes, fight from stealth gangs, 8v8 out in the open areas, if all you saw was the zerg you were doing it wrong.

Sounds like GW2 has basically added a "radar" that helps people find others, (something DAOC battled for years) and that would be a very bad mechanic if you are trying to use hit and run small gang tactics.

BTW, in DAOC 2 or 3 well formed 8 mans could decimate a zerg of 50 or more.... CC'd mechanics and some other TOA skills that made for very powerful teams if they knew what they were doing.

People who think that GW2 is "just like DAOC" because it has 3 sides in the battle never really understood RvR at all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Ahhh, the good ole days when Shadowbane and DAoC were still popular :)

I miss that atmosphere of mmo gaming, then again I live in the past to much when it comes to certain games. Believe me, they had their bugs as well, but mmorpg gaming to me was just different and new.

I gotta feeling that GW2 WvW is going to be a roll of the dice and hope your on the better server for 2 weeks.

On a different note.

I loved DAoC RvR since there was faction pride and all player characters were different (Hibs, Mids and Albs), however today it looks like everyone has to be equal when it comes to skills and powers. We seen this happen even in WoW.

I remember chatting in RvR and the distiction of saying, ahh dont worry, it's just mids :) However being a Alb (the Hibs treehuggers is what I used to call them) are putting up a good fight. For some reason faction brought a different element to that game.

Now it seems everyone is equally the same in GW2. I think I will take Faction Pride over Server Pride in any mmorpg now.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee

Shame.

I played DAoC too, and although the vibe is there...it's still not as good as the ol' Mid-Hib-Avs mechanics. Yes, the icons indicating where the fights are hurts...but this is strictly a numbers game PvP game. On Dragonbrand today, we were so outnumbered by Green that they had control of our entire borderlands, and had us hemmed into the keep where you first spawn in. We were that outnumbered.

Out side the biggest downside for me, this being yet another fantasy game, the main thing that kept me away from this title for now, is I felt WvWvW should have been named CvLvUvSvTvEvRvFvUvCvK. As it really is one big zergolicious nightmare. Now that isn't saying such random chaos can't be fun for awhile, but for me it isn't something I'd want to do all the time after burning out on such shenanigans back in the later days of Shadowbane when PVP just became a pointless zerg fest of everyone vs the asian monster guilds at banes and mine fights.

I don't care how good you are, how skilled you are, if you read Sun Tzu and are a master tactician in your own mind, but on open ground without keep walls and siege weapons to help you, a zerg of 40 PUGs will demolish your team of 10 "l33t " guys every time.

Off topic but people who read The Art of War and think that alone will make them into a brilliant tactician are fooling themselves. Sun Tsu simply outlined the most basic principles of military stratgey in a way that any idiot could understand. In other words though he was by all accounts a brilliant general, The Art of War is little more than "War For Dummies".

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "