Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game lacks direction

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    I think you need a group to hang with. Not sure if you have that or not, but I think if you had like 5 or 6 friends who wanted to level up together and gear up you would be having more fun.  The downside I am having is not being grouped up and making friends.  Whatever happens, I hope you find something enjoyable to do even if its not GW2
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by funyahns
    I think you need a group to hang with. Not sure if you have that or not, but I think if you had like 5 or 6 friends who wanted to level up together and gear up you would be having more fun.  The downside I am having is not being grouped up and making friends.  Whatever happens, I hope you find something enjoyable to do even if its not GW2

I have a friend playing GW2 - but he's almost exclusively into sPvP and he doesn't seem to enjoy PvE at all.

But, it's true, all games are better when shared with friends. Unfortunately, most people I know who're into gaming are playing other things.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by DKLond
    Originally posted by k-damage

Is it SUPPOSED to be aimless and about "fun" without purpose?

Yes, exactly :) And as been mentionned, you can gather some directions by talking to each NPCs. Most of them will tell you the story of the place, and sometimes even trigger dynamic events, so it can be rewarding to talk to them.

But overall, the spirit of the game is "you have all what other classical themeparks have, but in a totally non linear, non forced way". You 100% chose what your adventure will be, in a word.

Well, obviously I don't have quests (beyond the personal story), stuff like open world PvP (not instanced WvW), power progression at cap - and so on.

But you're right, the game does provide a lot of content - and it expects you to motivate yourself to go out and find it - wandering around.

I think that's great for people who like wandering around looking for something to do, but not so great for people who like to know where to go for progression.

I'd have preferred a better overview of events - and a way to to get involved in the lore that didn't involve actively seeking out NPCs hoping they might be the one to inspire me. As in, some kind of story delivery device to go along with the events themselves.

Quests do appear as you talk to NPCs, but in a very different way than exclamation mark > accept quest. For example, in the Norn starting area, there's a village where if you talk to 3 children in a house, after having watched them go by the place for a few minutes, they trigger a dialog option that can start of quest chain, all leading to a final massive invasion of the village.

See this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

In short, you don't have quest logs anymore, you have real things happening ;) It's more immersive, imho.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Outside personal story, really doesn't have much direction. I think its part of the reason why I have the same feeling. I just can't get all that involved in the game. Combat is fun, not the best but fun enough, and over-all I like it but its not something that can keep my busy being 'no life' all day. I play 1-2 hours and then its all I can take and I need to play something else.

Its one of the games I find is good, but I can't get myself to play all that much. What is worst is the fact that this is one of the few games I ever played that has done this to me. I grinded like crazy on Tera with its bad quest system (though incredible combat, sorry GW2, you know Tera did combat right if that was ALL they did right) and played all day, heck even on SWTOR which I felt was probably the weakest 'big name' title to come out in years I could at least play through 8 hours straight without feeling the need to put it down and do something else. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by I_Return
    Originally posted by Laughing-man Originally posted by DKLond I enjoy the pile-on of insults based purely on me not loving the game :) I wouldn't mind taking the responses seriously, but you really need to read my posts and keep from placing me in the "WoW fanboy" box that seems to be reserved for everyone not loving GW2. Unless, of course, you just enjoy trying to insult people who don't agree with you. In that case, I'll let you get back to it :)
    The community here has a problem with people who disagree with them. Its sad but true. People debate not the topic, but the poster all the time... A shame.  
    give solid foundation for the argument , and not before the game is even luanch to be taken seriously.

Seriously. Wtf is going to change in 2 days?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Yes, exactly :) And as been mentionned, you can gather some directions by talking to each NPCs. Most of them will tell you the story of the place, and sometimes even trigger dynamic events, so it can be rewarding to talk to them.

But overall, the spirit of the game is "you have all what other classical themeparks have, but in a totally non linear, non forced way". You 100% chose what your adventure will be, in a word.

Well, obviously I don't have quests (beyond the personal story), stuff like open world PvP (not instanced WvW), power progression at cap - and so on.

But you're right, the game does provide a lot of content - and it expects you to motivate yourself to go out and find it - wandering around.

I think that's great for people who like wandering around looking for something to do, but not so great for people who like to know where to go for progression.

I'd have preferred a better overview of events - and a way to to get involved in the lore that didn't involve actively seeking out NPCs hoping they might be the one to inspire me. As in, some kind of story delivery device to go along with the events themselves.

Quests do appear as you talk to NPCs, but in a very different way than exclamation mark > accept quest. For example, in the Norn starting area, there's a village where if you talk to 3 children in a house, after having watched them go by the place for a few minutes, they trigger a dialog option that can start of quest chain, all leading to a final massive invasion of the village.

In short, you don't have quest logs anymore, you have real things happening ;) It's more immersive, imho.

I'm not saying those things aren't great - because they ARE great. But the problem is that I don't know where they are - and I have to stumble upon them by accident. Beyond my personal story - I CAN'T go somewhere and be certain there's something meaningful to do. Sure, it happens often - but I've had way too many cases of walking around and not finding anything. That makes me lose motivation.

They just need to add an event overview - and possibly a way to teleport directly to the nearest waypoint automatically.

There is a really amazing fight in the Norn frozen lake area. You attack two towers, tha horde of monsters before a boss pops. This whole event takes like half an hour. People are dropping like flys and you have to dive in to help rez them.  Like I said before, maybe you just have not found that right race/class/weapon combo. If we played on the same server I would offer to go ahead and do some events. The horizontal progression does not start till later in the game, you need to gear up through the early stages still

I'm not saying those things aren't great - because they ARE great. But the problem is that I don't know where they are - and I have to stumble upon them by accident. Beyond my personal story - I CAN'T go somewhere and be certain there's something meaningful to do. Sure, it happens often - but I've had way too many cases of walking around and not finding anything. That makes me lose motivation.

They just need to add an event overview - and possibly a way to teleport directly to the nearest waypoint automatically.

That would kill the whole wandering marvel that this game is :/

It would definitely give a "been there, done that" feeling that would kill a lot of freshness this game is bringing. Why don't you just let yourself go into the wilderness, without absolutely needing to secure your "quest profitability" ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Why? there'd still be jumping puzzles and skill challenges - and so on.

The world in itself is very pretty - and you get achievements for exploring maps and so on. I don't think it would kill the exploration factor.

That said, they could just implement an overview with nearest events - not unlike what they're already doing. Trouble is that you can still wander for 10-15 minutes without having something to do. I know that sounds like a really short time - but in this day and age - people are impatient.

Maybe as simple as doubling the range within which you can detect events - or you could have scouts report events in a larger area.

Is there any resources out there on where the DE pop at? How you go about doing them? I was having to turn them down after a while cause they kept popping up on me
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The world in itself is very pretty - and you get achievements for exploring maps and so on. I don't think it would kill the exploration factor.

That said, they could just implement an overview with nearest events - not unlike what they're already doing. Trouble is that you can still wander for 10-15 minutes without having something to do. I know that sounds like a really short time - but in this day and age - people are impatient.

Maybe as simple as doubling the range within which you can detect events - or you could have scouts report events in a larger area.

I agree with the scouts thing, but I gotta say I want to know where you are exploring to experience this 15 minutes of nothingness, because I've been to as far as Claypool and even visited a friend in Caledon forest and I have not experienced this "nothingness". I have at times arrived at a rather unrowdy location (which is rare), but even then I talk to NPCs and voila, I started some DEs myself.

Maybe it helped that I'm not minding my progress. I'm simply...exploring. This game hardly lacks direction. It's just people getting overwhelmed.

This would create a feeling of "I didn't fill my checklist -> I didn't completed the game -> I have to do them all". This would create some sort of culpability if you didn't fulfill all the directions you've been given in most players (as they demand directions, they will want to checklist them all). And it would kill the freedom feeling we actually got.

That said, they could just implement an overview with nearest events - not unlike what they're already doing. Trouble is that you can still wander for 10-15 minutes without having something to do. 

Wandering 10-15 minutes without anything to do is not normal ;) I've yet to find myself wandering more than 5 minutes without something happening, really. Plus, there are waypoints to even shorten those times :)

I know that sounds like a really short time - but in this day and age - people are impatient.

This is the problem, people want to make a profit of every second they spend. This is clearly not the right mindset for GW2. You cannot immerse in a game fully if you focus on checklisting what it offers to you, as you will see its world like "something to complete", more than "something to discover". That's when a game starts to become a chore, and where it starts to become this horrible "been there, done that" mindset most MMOs have embraced nowadays.

In this game you don't even need to spend tons of time to discover stuff, I'm a quick reaction based gamer myself, looking to roll on stuff as fast as I can, but I never felt slowed down by gw2's overall pace, really. (mostly thanks to waypoints)

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Hey, DKLond, you never responded to my last reply (the orange one). Or are we agreeing to disagree? ^^

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by DKLond I enjoy the pile-on of insults based purely on me not loving the game :) I wouldn't mind taking the responses seriously, but you really need to read my posts and keep from placing me in the "WoW fanboy" box that seems to be reserved for everyone not loving GW2. Unless, of course, you just enjoy trying to insult people who don't agree with you. In that case, I'll let you get back to it :)
    The community here has a problem with people who disagree with them. Its sad but true. People debate not the topic, but the poster all the time... A shame.  
    give solid foundation for the argument , and not before the game is even luanch to be taken seriously.

Seriously. Wtf is going to change in 2 days?

here is a new term for you "population trail"  I got to go to class right now so maybe you can figure out what that means on your own.

I dunno, you have me stumped.  If it relates to increased population in on the 28th, don't look for much, most people interested in GW2 pre-ordered, I doubt you'll see a bump tomorrow of even 25%. 

Face it, for all intensive purposes, this title launched 2 days ago.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Gw2 offers structured direction.

Not in a sense of a quest-tracker, like a pinned to do list for 5 active quests (or 7,etc).
    But when you open your map you got the TASKS right there:

Waypoints 0/x
    Points of interests 0/x
    Hearts 0/x
    Vistas 0/x

That's what you gotta do for this map to have it "completed". That's there for you "direction" guys.
    And for your story, speak with the npcs you come along.

For anyone else, there is strolling across the map and fighting / collecting / talking whatever you feel like.

DEs happen anyway.

Originally posted by Indrome
    Hey, DKLond, you never responded to my last reply (the orange one). Or are we agreeing to disagree? ^^

A lot of people are responding, sorry :)

Well, I don't think "real life" is aimless - because we have some serious biological factors motivating our actions. You know, like needing to survive and the need to engage in sexual acts to propagate our species - and so on :)

Other than that, yeah - we can agree to disagree.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I enjoy the pile-on of insults based purely on me not loving the game :)

I wouldn't mind taking the responses seriously, but you really need to read my posts and keep from placing me in the "WoW fanboy" box that seems to be reserved for everyone not loving GW2.

Unless, of course, you just enjoy trying to insult people who don't agree with you. In that case, I'll let you get back to it :)

The community here has a problem with people who disagree with them.

Its sad but true.

People debate not the topic, but the poster all the time...

A shame.  

One: He did and Two: the game has launched. I understood what the OP meant it wasn't that hard really though I thought you had to be more "sophisticated" to "get" GW2 now where did I hear that, Hmmm!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Didn't read the whole thread, but just a few comments in reply to the original poster...

The personal story, and the stories of the NPCs in the starting zones, tend to be rather small, simple, and local. It's about individual lives, and less about the overarching world story. You're spending time in your personal story dealing with friends and issues in your home town and with your upbringing, and most of the threats and issues with NPCs are local in nature.

As you progress through the game, not only will the world open up to you, but the story will open up as well. The local threats and stories will become more global and encompass multiple races. Your personal story will become more about the issues that the whole world faces and how you can make a difference.

So, for overall direction, look at your character's journey from local to global hero as he/she grows throughout the game and ends up being a critical part of saving the world from the elder dragons.

For direction in a given zone or dynamic event...instead of reading the stories, you watch them unfold right in front of you as NPCs and mobs play them out. You have to stick around each area long enough for things to happen. Watch and listen to what is being said and follow the NPCs when they move from place to place. You'll begin to get a sense of them as individuals and a sense of the story in that local area and how it fits into the zone and the world.

The game is about exploration. If you don't like exploring...discovering for yourself what's over the next hill or where the secret cave might be...If you need hand-holding and feel the game should tell you where each and every bit of content is...then this may not be the game for you.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I don't think it's just about handholding - but more a lack of carrot dangling.  The game doesn't really give the player much to aim for, in terms of rewards.  We progress, certainly, but maybe it could do a better job of showing the player what they have to look forward to?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

This would create a feeling of "I didn't fill my checklist -> I didn't completed the game -> I have to do them all". This would create some sort of culpability if you didn't fulfill all the directions you've been given in most players (as they demand directions, they will want to checklist them all). And it would kill the freedom feeling we actually got.

That said, they could just implement an overview with nearest events - not unlike what they're already doing. Trouble is that you can still wander for 10-15 minutes without having something to do. 

Wandering 10-15 minutes without anything to do is not normal ;) I've yet to find myself wandering more than 5 minutes without something happening, really. Plus, there are waypoints to even shorten those times :)

I know that sounds like a really short time - but in this day and age - people are impatient.

This is the problem, people want to make a profit of every second they spend. This is clearly not the right mindset for GW2. You cannot immerse in a game fully if you focus on checklisting what it offers to you, as you will see its world like "something to complete", more than "something to discover". That's when a game starts to become a chore, and where it starts to become this horrible "been there, done that" mindset most MMOs have embraced nowadays.

In this game you don't even need to spend tons of time to discover stuff, I'm a quick reaction based gamer myself, looking to roll on stuff as fast as I can, but I never felt slowed down by gw2's overall pace, really. (mostly thanks to waypoints)

I don't have this need to fill my checklist when playing games. Well, at least - I don't have it anymore. I discovered that games don't give you anything back to match the time investment required to do everything.

It's an OCD thing that a lot of people have a hard time resisting - but I can manage :)

As for 10-15 minutes, I could be wrong. It's not like I've actively timed it. Maybe it's more like 5-10 minutes. But it certainly lasted for too long and happened too often to not be a real issue.

Maybe it gets better as you learn to predict thing and get used to the "aimless" approach. I don't know - but it's what it feels like after ~10 hours with headstart and ~20-30 hours of beta.

No, I don't need "profit every second" - I need a clear direction. There's a difference. I have no problem not getting profit or rewards for a good while if I KNOW that I'm on the right track.

It's the "aimless" nature of not knowing where to go for progress that irks me. No, the Hearts aren't enough -as they generally give limited XP for the time investment required.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by skydiver12

Gw2 offers structured direction.

Not in a sense of a quest-tracker, like a pinned to do list for 5 active quests (or 7,etc).
    But when you open your map you got the TASKS right there:

Waypoints 0/x
    Points of interests 0/x
    Hearts 0/x
    Vistas 0/x

That's what you gotta do for this map to have it "completed". That's there for you "direction" guys.
    And for your story, speak with the npcs you come along.

For anyone else, there is strolling across the map and fighting / collecting / talking whatever you feel like.

DEs happen anyway.

To me he just wants there to be a underlining driving force, lore, background story etc.. to why he is doing what he is doing not just "because" thats what you do.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by Vhaln
    I don't think it's just about handholding - but more a lack of carrot dangling.  The game doesn't really give the player much to aim for, in terms of rewards.  We progress, certainly, but maybe it could do a better job of showing the player what they have to look forward to?

The explorer only has to open his/her map to see an absolute metric F-ton to look forward to. There's just an immense amount of discovery and content and things to complete.

For the achiever, look at the available skills and traits and achievements in your hero panel... and TON of things to look forward to. Look at the armor and awesome weapons that NPCs are carrying and are available on vendors (using the preview)... TONS to look forward to.

Then, just consider the fact that everything you see when following the personal story of a single character and race is multiplied several times with all the different races and story choices. I've never seen an MMORPG with more to look forward to.