Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have too much invested in WoW

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

That's the problem people have with WoW.  They don't want to let go, because they feel they invested all those years into it.  They have friends that still play, and the familiarity & knowledge of the game already.  They want to stay where they are comfortable, and that is WoW.  It's not just a game for them, but it's a way of life for some.  All the communties built over the years, such as Curse, ArenaJunkies, Wowhead, Guild websites, etc., keep WoW afloat.

This is why it won't die.

• NsaigoNsaigo Member Posts: 18

The funny thing is MMORPG or games in general are not investments, it is called killing time (AND play cash) in exchange for some entertainment.  Once realizing that simple fact, then starting over is not something to dread over.

Games are something played for fun, socializing, and competition/challenge.  If all that drives you to keep playing a game is sentimental attachments, then that is your preference.

Achievements online no matter how satisifying to one's ego is still but an illusion, and that is something to keep in mind.  However illusions can be entertaining none-the-less.

If WoW is still fun for you then keep playing it, if not then all I read is you wanting others to convince you to find alternatives.

BTW, I am not playing GW2, and probably don't plan on doing it.  Not my cup of <insertbeveragehere>

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Yizle

I remember those same types of people from EQ.

Got left behind because they just couldn't let go of the past.

So do i.  They still play it too, and that game was released back in 1999 i think.  People were saying they would never leave EQ for WoW, because WoW was different and they had invested too much in their EQ characters to ever let go.  It's kind of sad really..  to actually be invested in virtual characters.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Kzak
    I just can't get into starting over.  I tried.  In Wow I have 10 85's and all professions maxed.  I bought GW2 hoping it would be something new and different.  At one point before the early start began I actually believed I might be leaving WoW for good. GW2 proved to be somewhat different, but the old familiar grind is still there.  The graphics are ok, not mind blowing.  The PVE seemed a bit lacking.  The dynamic events were fun, but became old quickly.  There were some start up issues, but nothing persistent.  From time to time I did encounter some FPS problems, but they were infrequent.  The behavior of the community was familiar and not that much different than WoW.  The game was just AOK for me.For most of you I am sure you will enjoy GW2 much more than I have.  I wish ANet and GW2 the best of luck.  I won't be posting on this forum in the future (no need to applaud).

OH MERSIFEL & MAGNIFEECENT GODS OF GAYMING!

I KNOES MY TRU PURPOSE ON THIS EARTH! I AM UR SUN! UR HERALD! THE VOYCE OF YOUR TRUTHS! GIVE ME YOUR STRENGTHS! ALL OF THEM'S, K?! PUT THEM INSIDE ME!

GIVS ME THE POWR TO SAVE HIM, OH GAWDS! FREE THIS POOR SPIRIT FROM THE SUBSCRIPTION DEMONS THAT HAS DOOMD HIS SPIRIT TO A GRIZZLY FATE!

But seriously. Thank you for informing me of your decision. I was touched. Now that I am properly informed, I'll just tick off my to-do list...yep, done. You're right there up the top, see? See how important you are to me? /sarcasm

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108

I was a victim of this in another game as well, until I sold my character for 2k US. This was two years after I had left the game, but I couldn't let go of my character. Looking back, it's scary and sad that I gave into that addiction. I am still a gamer, but now I play for fun.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Sounds like the OP didn't find anything groundbreaking or new to lure him away from his current MMO.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    If you like WoW  I'd stick there as it is a goal orientated mmo. GW2 is very casual orientated, so unless you like PvP you won't find many difficult challenges.
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    If you like WoW  I'd stick there as it is a goal orientated mmo. GW2 is very casual orientated, so unless you like PvP you won't find many difficult challenges.

Yeeeah... right.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by coretex666

I know this feeling. Exactly what I have had each time I tried a new game since 2004.

For me, it is not so much about the investment. I just have not had the luck to be pulled away from WoW by some other game for good. I am kind of looking forward to it after all those years to be honest.

I think GW will be a side game for me for several months as I planned. It is a nice game.

I have to give Rift credit for this since it pulled me away from WoW

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Zillen

I just can't get into starting over.  I tried.  In Wow I have 10 85's and all professions maxed.  I bought GW2 hoping it would be something new and different.  At one point before the early start began I actually believed I might be leaving WoW for good. 

GW2 proved to be somewhat different, but the old familiar grind is still there.  The graphics are ok, not mind blowing.  The PVE seemed a bit lacking.  The dynamic events were fun, but became old quickly.  There were some start up issues, but nothing persistent.  From time to time I did encounter some FPS problems, but they were infrequent.  The behavior of the community was familiar and not that much different than WoW.  The game was just AOK for me.

For most of you I am sure you will enjoy GW2 much more than I have.  I wish ANet and GW2 the best of luck.  I won't be posting on this forum in the future (no need to applaud).

OH MERSIFEL & MAGNIFEECENT GODS OF GAYMING!

I KNOES MY TRU PURPOSE ON THIS EARTH! I AM UR SUN! UR HERALD! THE VOYCE OF YOUR TRUTHS! GIVE ME YOUR STRENGTHS! ALL OF THEM'S, K?! PUT THEM INSIDE ME!

GIVS ME THE POWR TO SAVE HIM, OH GAWDS! FREE THIS POOR SPIRIT FROM THE SUBSCRIPTION DEMONS THAT HAS DOOMD HIS SPIRIT TO A GRIZZLY FATE!

But seriously. Thank you for informing me of your decision. I was touched. Now that I am properly informed, I'll just tick off my to-do list...yep, done. You're right there up the top, see? See how important you are to me? /sarcasm

Example of why people say the community on these boards is abhorant.  

Also, I hope you dont' play GW2, I'd hate to meet you ingame with an attitude like that.

Please adjust it to something more positive and friendly,  Thanks.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I have too much invested in WoW

I felt a bit like that once too, untill I realized that I'm paying real money every minute just to stand around in faction capital.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I'm not sure what to say ... I enjoyed World of Warcraft since BC but I can still drop it very easily and I have spent a absolute ****ton of hours in that game doing achievements etc. I have like 3 85's and it was the same with Runescape, EVE onlin and GW1 but still man, going back to a game just because it has lots of memories doesn't make sense to me. Make new memories! its like people and character names, if its taken make a new one and therefore you are creating new memories to enjoy
  • MorpheusMJWMorpheusMJW Member Posts: 27

The main reason I quit wow when wrath came out is because its basically like starting over, all professions are basically useless until maxed again, all gear is useless unless its really really top end but even then most likely greens are better.

Every new expansion is like starting over, surely your used to that feeling enough to play GW2?

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Sorry to hear it's not your pair of shoes, hope you will find your fun hitting level 90 with your 10 toons :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Yizle

I remember those same types of people from EQ.

Got left behind because they just couldn't let go of the past.

Yup I was one of those EQ guys that got left behind LOL had my account since 1998 to 2010 was a CB in 98 had  ALOT invested, even had it appraised to like 4-5k but I tried loging back in to find out that when they did some server merges my account was lost LOL so SOE couldn't give me my account back but gave me EQ 2 with all the expacs at the time, played that for awhile too. My point is , when you loose something no point in coming back