Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre order is not actually a pre order...

OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

This is only about pre order.

Apperantly retailer have been able to do pre orders for Guild Wars 2 that are not eligable for the todays 1 day headstart. 

According to Webhallen it seems it is by chance if your pre order had the 1 day headstart.

I received my box last week, I preorder 2 months ago... well.

ArenaNet could also be smooth and activated the serial code for the retail boxes from today. As it would be apperant that if you have a code then you have also pre ordered the game.

"Headstart Access will begin on August 27, 2012, for those who pre-ordered the game."

How can ArenaNet have different pre order deals?

Exciting release with kept promises from start.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

Comments

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113
    At least you got yours i pre ordered months ago was posted on 22nd august from Game UK . Still in post and it's bank holiday so no GW2 for me till at least tomorrow.
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    The box in it self is not that thrilling though... ;)

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

In Finnish webstores you had to pay about 10€ extra for 3-day headstart and 5€ extra for one day. I said screw that, the game won't run anywhere, so I pre-ordered the cheapest copy available. NCsoft is slowly becoming one of those companies that charge money for beta tests.

Cheers.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Orphes

Apperantly retailer have been able to do pre orders for Guild Wars 2 that are not eligable for the todays 1 day headstart. 

According to Webhallen it seems it is by chance if your pre order had the 1 day headstart.

ArenaNet could also be smooth and activated the serial code for the retail boxes from today. As it would be apperant that if you have a code then you have also pre ordered the game.

I can explain that. Webbyhallen have gotten the same number of cards with a code on as they have preorders.

Either they forgot to give you the preorder code or someone there took it for himself.

ANET cant see when you ordered the box on a card, preorder stuff dont work that way.

Originally posted by Bumer/goga

In Finnish webstores you had to pay about 10€ extra for 3-day headstart and 5€ extra for one day. I said screw that, the game won't run anywhere, so I pre-ordered the cheapest copy available. NCsoft is slowly becoming one of those companies that charge money for beta tests.

Cheers.

In Sweden prices are exactly the same except we paid earlier to get those 3 days, the band and the beta access.

I am not so sure NC soft is behind this, it sounds more like u'your local game store chain are screwing you good time.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Cheers.

Considering there was no open beta, and only one beta giveaway that was open to the public....

I agree entirely.

They had a paid beta.

Originally posted by Loke666

I can explain that. Webbyhallen have gotten the same number of cards with a code on as they have preorders.

Either they forgot to give you the preorder code or someone there took it for himself.

ANET cant see when you ordered the box on a card, preorder stuff dont work that way.

As for ArenaNet can see that I have used a serial code, how would I have had the game today without preorder when it is released for tomorrow. It would incline that I have actually ordered the game before release, as in pre order.

As for Webhallen, I'm actually not sure if they know the difference from pre order and pre purchase. 

Pre order code have it's uses as the game could be delayed with postal services, as the poster above. But, still, having the retail code in hand today from the actual box, is the best proof that you have actualy ordered the game before release, it is undisputable.

That is where ArenaNet could be using logic and be smooth. But they, at this time, choose not to be.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    I know this is going to sound confusing but play.com the uk retailer had both a pre-purchase which was 50 pounds which included the three day head start and beta access and a pre-order for the 35 pounds box sale which didn't . I think quite a few people brought the box sale and thought they would get a headstart and didn't .
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Considering there was no open beta, and only one beta giveaway that was open to the public....

I agree entirely.

They had a paid beta.

Paid is kinda wrong (except in Finland were they seems to charge you more) since the price were the same but you are right.

Jeff Strain promised us a free weekend before launch, I miss that guy. :(

On the plus side, I am having a great time (called in sick *cough*).

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172

Cheers.

In Sweden prices are exactly the same except we paid earlier to get those 3 days, the band and the beta access.

I am not so sure NC soft is behind this, it sounds more like u'your local game store chain are screwing you good time.

Same here in The Netherlands. I never paid 'extra' for my 3 day headstart. Seems more like a greedy store to me then a greedy NCSoft.....

Originally posted by roo67 I know this is going to sound confusing but play.com the uk retailer had both a pre-purchase which was 50 pounds which included the three day head start and beta access and a pre-order for the 35 pounds box sale which didn't . I think quite a few people brought the box sale and thought they would get a headstart and didn't .

"Headstart Access will begin on August 27, 2012, for those who pre-ordered the game."

This is only about pre order not pre purchase.

As for ArenaNet can see that I have used a serial code, how would I have had the game today without preorder when it is released for tomorrow. It would incline that I have actually ordered the game before release, as in pre order.

As for Webhallen, I'm actually not sure if they know the difference from pre order and pre purchase. 

Pre order code have it's uses as the game could be delayed with postal services, as the poster above. But, still, having the retail code in hand today from the actual box, is the best proof that you have actualy ordered the game before release, it is undisputable.

That is where ArenaNet could be using logic and be smooth. But they, at this time, choose not to be.

Game sold a copy to a buddy of mine yesterday, he already got it and made no preorder.

All MMOs I have preordered in a store have always given me a note with a code for the bonus stuff. Every single one of them. We can argue if that is so smart but it is standard procedure.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I agree entirely.

They had a paid beta.

Paid is kinda wrong (except in Finland were they seems to charge you more) since the price were the same but you are right.

Jeff Strain promised us a free weekend before launch, I miss that guy. :(

On the plus side, I am having a great time (called in sick *cough*).

Well when I preordered other games I only had to put 5 bucks down to access their betas etc.

This game had to be PREPAID for the entire amount before you could even see their game on your rig.

Thats pay to try.

A lot of us here like to try the beta to see how it runs on our computers.... Sure thats not the origional intent of a beta, yet its what its evolved into.  

GW did a money graby thing.  Lets be honest.

Game sold a copy to a buddy of mine yesterday, he already got it and made no preorder.

All MMOs I have preordered in a store have always given me a note with a code for the bonus stuff. Every single one of them. We can argue if that is so smart but it is standard procedure.

Getting a game before relase is a pre order, the game is release tomorrow.

A pre order code "has" to be available, as for the reason I stated above and you reasons in that sense it is smart and convenient.

Still the fact getting a retail standard code for a full game before release should prove your eligable for game access. But that is a bad descision from AreNAT (imo).

The other problem is stores not bothering to realise the difference beetweem pre purchase and pre order: Assumingly only believing that pre purchase get a code sent to them.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

Yup, I guess I'm in the same boat, I pre-ordered from play.com a week ago (arrived Saturday), didn't get the pre-purchase as I had a wedding to go too over the weekend (still have pig roast to go to today, yum), but thought i would have 1 day access today, ahh well a bit misleading, but I can live with it.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    This isn't so much a problem with NCSoft as it is with your retailer using the word pre-order when they mean you are pre-ordering the standard retail copy.
    Originally posted by Zezda
    This isn't so much a problem with NCSoft as it is with your retailer using the word pre-order when they mean you are pre-ordering the standard retail copy.

Yeah, never the less, the Gw2 web site should have made it a bit clearer.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by mmoski

Isn't this just seeking a scapegoat. When you ordered did it say you had 1 day headstart? If not than the only one to blame is yourself. If it did the blame lies with the retailer that sold it. In either case Anet is in no way responsible for a third party's actions.

I have never had to put in the retail code only to get early access to any other MMO. There was always a preorder code. 

Edit: Not purely directed at you

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

when i pre orded last week i got a little card with a code on it for 1 day early access.

got an email from anet saying the game is good to start. just gota pick my copy up in the morning when EB opens. in australia

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the website faq did say the retailer will give you a code

What is the difference between a Pre-Purchase and a Pre-Order?

Guild Wars 2 Pre-Order is a commitment to purchase Guild Wars 2 through an authorized retailer. Pre-ordering usually involves making a modest deposit. Those who pre-orderGuild Wars 2 will be given a special serial code from their retailer that allows them one day of Headstart Access to the game.

Originally posted by Connmacart

Isn't this just seeking a scapegoat. When you ordered did it say you had 1 day headstart? If not than the only one to blame is yourself. If it did the blame lies with the retailer that sold it. In either case Anet is in no way responsible for a third party's actions.

I have never had to put in the retail code only to get early access to any other MMO. There was always a preorder code. 

Yeah i know, my fault really, it was just presumption i made, saw that play.com was on their list of retailers, so went and ordered from them, i just didnt realise i needed to pre-order a pre-order copy, not pre-order a standard copy, as with gw1 we just ordered it and payed a day early, im guessing a few other people got caught by this pre-purchase >> pre-order >> standard.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    in fairness, I would have made the same assumption

Pre order a pre order edition of the game, or pre order a standard edition.

It's an intruiging deal, and as the topic pre order is not actually a pre order.

But it is as silly as it is intruiging.

The preorder code gives you access to the game until the retail box arrives, from headstart and for Guild Wars you have 2days to enter the actual retail code.

Still, even if ArenaNet is not at fault; they can sell how many different version as they may.

It's just a play with words.

ArenaNet being used as a scape goat? If you may, I would understand if I/we could not have had access to the game if we did not had the the code from the box nor the pre order code.

The scape goat actually being used is "If not than the only one to blame is yourself." to remedy any critisicm directed at ArenaNet. 

Yeah i know, my fault really, it was just presumption i made, saw that play.com was on their list of retailers, so went and ordered from them, i just didnt realise i needed to pre-order a pre-order copy, not pre-order a standard copy, as with gw1 we just ordered it and payed a day early, im guessing a few other people got caught by this pre-purchase >> pre-order >> standard.

And retailers not listed are sending out pre order codes. Funny is it not?

The list for retailers on Guild Wars 2 site holds no merit in that regard.

ArenaNet is sitting on golden egg, regardless how they word it or how many versions thet have they still have gotten the money for the box.

Satisfaction guaranteed is only for future customers, so they will buy the box, any hassle around different pre order versions (pre order is not actually a pre order) are not important there. 

As soon as the code is entered, no stores will refund the purchase, it is only the next customer in line to get pre-satisfied ebough to warrant a sale.

As long as ArenaNet keeps the thin line there is "no big deal" as "I'm the one to blame".

I'm adding is it seems it not obvious.

Even if we never can demand good will it would be an easy thing for ArenaNet to have done.

A used retail code is the best proof  that we have bought, or will buy (I always have invoices for my purchases), the game in question. A pre order code is not the same as I will actually buy the game, I could as well be sending the game back without entering the retail box code.

Now the situation is that a preorder code holds more value than a box code, that is an odd situation.

ArenaNet have a list of certified retailers. That list is not the same as they have a preorder deal.

Now as I said, good will can never be demanded, still it is perfectly ok to send critisicm towards ArenaNet and not only towards specific retailers. As ArenaNet ofcourse have a winning situation with not being clear with this issue on their website.

I could order another pre order from another store, get the pre order code by email and then cancel or refund the extra retail box when I receive it from that store. 

That would be ok, shady but ok...

(Same retailers that had prepurchase did in this case as an example not hold a preorder deal. Assumingly to get customers to buy a pre purchase, as they tries playing slightly ignorant and steer support questions concerning not being clear up front that a pre order don't grant a 1 day headstart "We have already sent out the three day headstart codes for pre order".)