Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No risk. No reward. What's the point?

BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Before I start I have to say that if you're having fun playing the game and have found your new home then I am happy for you and wish you nothing but the best.

That being said, I must get a couple things off my chest about the game and I am pretty sure that this is my last post here because I will probably be hunted by GW2 fans on this board until the end of time after posting this.

I am having a problem understanding what the point of playing this game is besides brief moments of joy felt when killing other players in evenly matched pvp situations outside of the usual zerg fests.

To me an MMORPG should give you something to look forward to (goals) even if they do not come in the form of loot or titles or achievements etc. Over the BWE's and since the headstart began I don't really see anything that has presented itself as a real goal. Maybe I'm missing it?

Dynamic events to me are a cluster@#!% with so many players and spells going off that I can't tell what I'm hitting or the guy next to me is hitting. I have two decent computers and have played on both so I know that it's not a hardware issue. Also, the Dynamic Events in many zones seem reused with things to do like "click on yam" but in another zone it's "click on hole" and something happens etc etc. Either way it seems very basic to me and gets repetitive very quickly.

Gear doesn't matter and there is nothing unique about player charecters? I'm not a fan of gear grinds at all but gear does make a charecter feel unique and is kind of your visual resume when it comes to player interaction.

The community is...non-existant? If you're standing around 100 people but no one says anything does that count as a community? I have yet to experience a situation where it is vital to communicate with another player for any reason.

This feels like a single player game to me, even more so than SWTOR *holds up pot cover to block incoming @#!%*.

I get the whole GW1 pvp aspect of it where you log in with a group of friends + get on vent and pvp but is this the game's main selling point?

What am I not seeing?

P.S. I would also like to add that I purchased the deluxe edition and have no regrets about it seeing as the money is going to a good company and for a BTP game is a good deal imo.

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

"I am having a problem understanding what the point of playing this game is..."

I honestly don't get posts like these. Surely the point of playing games is to have fun? Why do I need to have a carrot on a stick dangled in front of me to have fun? Surely I can appreciate the beautiful world, the storyliens, the fast-paced combat, the evenly-matched PvP and a whole lot more without there needing to be risk and/or reward?

I may as well be sitting in the office earning real money in terms of reward if I'm going to turn playing into a chore.

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Sounds to me like you really have not experienced much of the game..All your doing is dynamic events. There is a lot more to the game than that.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

What you're not seeing is that there are different types of MMO players, and the ones that enjoy Guild Wars 2 are those that don't need a long-term goal, but simply enjoy playing right now. 

If you've played the game yourself, and really found it to be not enjoyable, that's ok. Noone is going to hunt you down for that. You'll just have to move on to whatever comes next. Maybe it's the right MMO for you.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Where is the risk and reward of games like LoL? I dont know but i cant seem to stop myself from playing the crap out of it.

For me the gameplay is just fun and addicting. There is other things too.... i really get into the story in gw for some reason.

Most games the story is just blah and i cant stand the lore. But its so well written, charaters are funny and i say to myself. I would totally say that!

Koss is my fav from gw nightfall.... the sh!!%^ he says i tell ya....

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I got plenty of risk and reward playing the game (died more than any post UO mmo, and at last an mmo that give better than 0.0001% drop), thank you, the rest of the post, we all know what kind of material it is, learn to find DE with less people and learn to trigger them, gear have plenty of value, try to play at lv20 with lv1 gear and good luck to you.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Lydon

I honestly don't get posts like these. Surely the point of playing games is to have fun? Why do I need to have a carrot on a stick dangled in front of me to have fun? 

Because eventually everything gets boring when you get bored in GW2 youll just stop playing and wait for new content.  THIS IS WHY the playerbase will never sustain millions but it will sell millions because people will buy it quit come back quit come back quit  just like every other MMO.  EXCEPT because of the carror on a stick (that has worked for 13 + years btw)  Games like rift, wow, eq, eq2 etc people stick around longer not because they're any more fun then GW2 is but because you have something to ACHIEVE a GOAL a reward for all your time invested into a game.   That is the bottom line you wanna play for 4 hrs a day most people want something for that not some cosmetic item.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    I can appreceiat the OP's sentiment, I myself am getting a little bored of the game myself. I wasnt a fan of GW, and GW2 is feeling awfully similar.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • viturinoviturino Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Aori

Pretty much what the game is right now.. I don't get the appeal myself. I've put in 5hours but tbh they were kinda forced, to see if I could get past the coal onto the diamond.

Burn me at the stake but right now it feels like one of the countless Asian F2P MMOs without the mob grind(which I don't mind tbh) and terrible dialogue.

Was hoping to get my moneys worth but I didn't, on the upside I can always try later without worry of subs.

ROFL. You should think twice before making an opinion like that. Just an example, there's a heart in the Asura starting zone that is pure awesomeness, you make IQ test on lab rats and the dialogues are incredibly ingenious.

Read more and have less preconceptions.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

People are used to think you need rewards to have fun.
    People are used to think you need a second job to have fun.
    People are used to think you need massive time investment and level to max level asap before you have fun

I can go on and on and on, people not liking GW2 is ok, not every mmo suits your needs.
    For me its the best mmo since WoW, i just went back 5 times sunday to check if i missed something, i never ever do pve to level, now iam all over it.

And when ive had enough, /join WvW and kick some ass.

Iam willing to bet that this game will be better then people realise, and its just launched.
    Wait till more expansions packs come and Guildwars get more polished , tuned, expanded, more features, etc etc.

This is going to be the one for me <3 i knew it, but it feels even better when you play it and get that confirmation inside yourself saying YES Finaly a game i love to play again.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by William12

Because eventually everything gets boring when you get bored in GW2 youll just stop playing and wait for new content.  THIS IS WHY the playerbase will never sustain millions but it will sell millions because people will buy it quit come back quit come back quit  just like every other MMO.  EXCEPT because of the carror on a stick (that has worked for 13 + years btw)  Games like rift, wow, eq, eq2 etc people stick around longer not because they're any more fun then GW2 is but because you have something to ACHIEVE a GOAL a reward for all your time invested into a game.   That is the bottom line you wanna play for 4 hrs a day most people want something for that not some cosmetic item.

Funny...to this day I play Guild Wars BECAUSE I FIND IT FUN! That's 6 years...shock, horror! Some sort of "reward" for "investing" my time in a game (that's totally going to pay dividends when I retire) is a silly concept that covers up the laziness of developers. There is absolutely no in-game reward that I could be given for achieving a so-called goal that would trump me purely havIng fun. But if some sort of virtual goodness-knowns-what makes you feel better about yourself for playing a game then, please, be my guest. There's a good donkey!

On another note - even if a huge portion of the GW2 playerbase plays the game on and off, there's so many people playing in the first place that there won't be a lack of people to play with...especially in a persistent world. It worked for GW1 and that started off with a tiny fraction of GW2's hype.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    The only thing I am enjoying so far is exploring. This theme park tries to get as close to a virtual world as a theme-park can get. Well, of course as every theme-park it misses a ton of features, in order to really be one. I am wondering, what to do after I explored everything. I am afraid about that and I do not see a goal, too.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I honestly don't get posts like these. Surely the point of playing games is to have fun? Why do I need to have a carrot on a stick dangled in front of me to have fun? Surely I can appreciate the beautiful world, the storyliens, the fast-paced combat, the evenly-matched PvP and a whole lot more without there needing to be risk and/or reward?

I may as well be sitting in the office earning real money in terms of reward if I'm going to turn playing into a chore.

Exactly.

You played the game. Didnt like it.

Ok mate , you free to go. You can even sell the game on ebay ...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the "no risk, no reward" QQ is false. I have a lvl 19 toon and 4 lower levels so far and with my lvl 19 i got awesome loots when fighting bosses. Some events dont have a chest loot in the end but in that case the other mobs drop great loots too (im always upgrading from my grees and blues drops). Im not sure what kind of risk the OP expects to have in a game but if its something like what we've been used to (exp loss, item drop, or whatever) then GW2 doesnt have that and its still tons of fun and very challenging. I feel more pressure in GW2 when im sure i can die at anytime than other mmos that i dont have to worry about myself because theres a healer keeping me alive. That is enough risk for me and still have a tremendous blast in the game. Havent tried pvp.... been too busy with fun pve

My two cents..... have fun

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    I do understand the OP big time. I hate that it just feels like going through the motions, for what. I don t know, we ll see down the road, but it doesn t feel like anything exceptional at all, and well, the no risk part, just sucks.
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    I get the whole GW1 pvp aspect of it where you log in with a group of friends + get on vent and pvp but is this the game's main selling point?

Yes. ANet won't tell you that of course. Still, people who bought GW2 exclusively for PvE will probably end up disappointed at some point.

Now reward is highly subjective (e.g. I feel PvE is rewarding enough but for me it's only something to do while waiting for a spot in WvW). But as for risk... before you think the game isn't challenging enough you should at least try the fire elemental boss in Metrica Province.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by William12

Funny...to this day I play Guild Wars BECAUSE I FIND IT FUN! That's 6 years...shock, horror! Some sort of "reward" for "investing" my time in a game (that's totally going to pay dividends when I retire) is a silly concept that covers up the laziness of developers. There is absolutely no in-game reward that I could be given for achieving a so-called goal that would trump me purely havIng fun. But if some sort of virtual goodness-knowns-what makes you feel better about yourself for playing a game then, please, be my guest. There's a good donkey!

On another note - even if a huge portion of the GW2 playerbase plays the game on and off, there's so many people playing in the first place that there won't be a lack of people to play with...especially in a persistent world. It worked for GW1 and that started off with a tiny fraction of GW2's hype.

This post starts off good then just becomes stupid.  We all play games to "have fun".  The thing is what is considered fun isn't the same for everyone.

Some people like having goals whether they are long term or short doesn't matter. To some this is a way of advancement for thier character and is "Fun" to them.  It doesn't matter if not everyone finds this fun only that some do, what is "silly" is knockeng these poeple that do enjoy this  and vice versa.

I'd like to point out as well that even GW has "long term goals" or "carrots" in the form of achievements and titles like this one " Legendary Cartographer  or Legendary Guardian ;)  I would have thought after playing 6 years you would know this.

This has nothing to do with people being donkeys either way.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Deto123
    I do understand the OP big time. I hate that it just feels like going through the motions, for what. I don t know, we ll see down the road, but it doesn t feel like anything exceptional at all, and well, the no risk part, just sucks.

i got the same feeling atm .thats why i,m not playing..i bought it but am struggling to get going..but i think that is mainly because i,m enjoying TSW a lot.there will come a time when i login and have a blast,im sure of that..but when, i have no idea.

Care to remind me where that "risk" is supposed to be in other MMOs? I played some and I totally failed to find any. You die - you pay for repairs. You screw up your build - you pay for respec. You wipe on a boss - you can try it again now or later.

It's all exactly the same in GW2.

Originally posted by kevjards

i got the same feeling atm .thats why i,m not playing..i bought it but am struggling to get going..but i think that is mainly because i,m enjoying TSW a lot.there will come a time when i login and have a blast,im sure of that..but when, i have no idea.

that will only happen when you decide to give it a try without letting other people's opinions interfere with your personal decisions :)

it applies to everything in life, not only gaming.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Ahaa. This thread is priceless.

Basically what we have here is lots of people walking into a room with loads of empty chairs in, trying to claim there's no where to sit.

;D

Burn me at the stake but right now it feels like one of the countless Asian F2P MMOs without the mob grind(which I don't mind tbh) and terrible dialogue.

First, "Asian F2P MMO without mob grind" is a phrase that contradicts itself. Second, name an MMO with decent dialogue.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

Care to remind me where is that "risk" in other MMOs? I played some and I totally failed to find it. You die - you pay for repairs. You screw up your build - you pay for respec. You wipe on a boss - you can try it again now or later.

It's all exactly the same in GW2.

FFXI, Old DAOC, AC etc etc. I m hoping a game cmes out with that risk. I can t stand the, oh well just kill yourself, it s faster to get home, mentality. To each their own, but it s how I feel, and to me, I just feel like I m going through the motions. We ll see if it gets better, but if I spent 60.00 and play PS2 beta, more on headstart/release, it s obvious, GW2 is a game I don t feel is that good.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

GW2 is different, people wanted different, they got it. I don't understand why people look for content in MMOs in PvE. They will never get one. If you want PvE content run Dragon Age or Skyrim.

If you really want to have fun in GW2 play PvP, and play PvE, WvW as something to relax abit, that's it. I bought GW2, I bought it for PvP only, I might never even finish the PvE tbh... I don't care about it at all...

If you care about PvE in MMOs you're gonna have a bad time. And times when we were grinding our asses of in Lineage2 and zerging eachother are over. It was quite fun but it's about time it ended.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by BruceYee

The community is...non-existant? If you're standing around 100 people but no one says anything does that count as a community? I have yet to experience a situation where it is vital to communicate with another player for any reason.

This is nothing new, Rift was the same way.  This is a people issue not a game design issue.

Originally posted by wowfan1996

First, "Asian F2P MMO without mob gind" is a phrase that contradicts itself. Second, name an MMO with decent dialogue.

this^.

ALso, suddenly theres an mmo with no grind and people now say they dont mind the grind? after cursing all the recent mmos for being asian-grinder-ish.... sigh