Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Bioware EA worried about GW2 at all?

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by paroxysm

Originally posted by Souldrainer
    That said, a large number of their fair weather fans have jumped over to Tera and TSW by now... so GW2 probably won't impact SWTOR.

This is the same type of dillusional and arrogant stance that the developers of SWTOR have. 

Though, I agree on one thing.  They shouldn't be worrying about GW2 or trying to compete with GW2.  They need all of their focus on trying to fix SWTOR.  Go look at the thread about why people left SWTOR and realize nothing has changed yet and just going F2P won't make much of any difference at all for the majority of people who left the game.

Those "fair weather" fans didn't leave strictly because of other games.  They left because the game is bad.

Why try to bring people back? When the F2p launch goes live, they will gain millions of new customers without flip-flopping their design goals and spending even more money. The game does need improvement, I'll agree, but trying to shoehorn it to please the disenfranchised SWG fanbase will create more problems than it would solve.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    SWTOR just had an event last week. The game has turned a profit through CE, headphone, keyboard, mouse, and other merch sales, and their aub numers are over the "profitable" margin. That said, a large number of their fair weather fans have jumped over to Tera and TSW by now... so GW2 probably won't impact SWTOR.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood but (and this is unnecessarily blunt) but...

...that event last week was M'eh at best.

,,,,the game has not made back the cost of development and marketing by a long shot.

....the sub numbers which appear to have dipped below their day to day operations minimum ammount for profitability at 500k?

...the collector's edition that only had 50,000 pre-order units made? The CE that is selling for $29.99 and less collecting dust on shelves worldwide?

....if you are basing profitability on the few bucks EA makes on razer products (which amazon stocks at most 25 of) that's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

....those "fair weather fans" all 2 million of them? What makes a non-fair weather fan of this game? GW2 is already impacting SWTOR. When more and more leave, will they be fair weather fans as well? When will you be concerned about all the unhappy people leaving the game? When you are down to one half filled server or when the shut off the lights?

Maybe I'm jut piling on. I'm happy you enjoy your game but I find your level of delusion frightening.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

SWTOR just had an event last week. The game has turned a profit through CE, headphone, keyboard, mouse, and other merch sales, and their aub numers are over the "profitable" margin. That said, a large number of their fair weather fans have jumped over to Tera and TSW by now... so GW2 probably won't impact SWTOR.

,,,,the game has not made back the cost of development and marketing by a long shot.

....the sub numbers which appear to have dipped below their day to day operations minimum ammount for profitability at 500k?

...the collector's edition that only had 50,000 pre-order units made? The CE that is selling for $29.99 and less collecting dust on shelves worldwide?

....if you are basing profitability on the few bucks EA makes on razer products (which amazon stocks at most 25 of) that's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

....those "fair weather fans" all 2 million of them? What makes a non-fair weather fan of this game? GW2 is already impacting SWTOR. When more and more leave, will they be fair weather fans as well? When will you be concerned about all the unhappy people leaving the game? When you are down to one half filled server or when the shut off the lights?

Maybe I'm jut piling on. I'm happy you enjoy your game but I find your level of delusion frightening.

OK... every statment released by BW states profits + over 500k subs. I have seen your threads about your suspicions, and you're welcome to have them.. but you didn't post anything concrete, whereas EA has done so. If you're going to talk numbers and refute EA, this is again welcome, very much so... but please do add things up. The CE price didn't drop until the game announced ftp is coming... just one example of how speculation can steer things off course if numbers and proof aren't there... So believe what you will, but if you want to convince me, it will take more than what you've posted on this forum.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

OK... every statment released by BW states profits + over 500k subs. I have seen your threads about your suspicions, and you're welcome to have them.. but you didn't post anything concrete, whereas EA has done so. 
    Interestingly we've seen absolutely nothing concrete from EA since launch about their profits or their subscription numbers but we continually hear hearsay about it all the time even in the news. Unless you have documented evidence to their sub numbers that you can post, why bother trying to deny what's evidently their pr to keep investors? it's HIGHLY suspicious that the financial director resigned just after making the original 1.7 million statement, he was the first to go, right before all of the major writers, many of the original devs, and that was just before the infamous 200. People were jumping ship left and right, They don't do that unless there's something seriously wrong with the future of a product.
    Statements are VERY different from public reports that public companies produce quarterly where everyone can look easily.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    That said, a large number of their fair weather fans have jumped over to Tera and TSW by now... so GW2 probably won't impact SWTOR.

This is the same type of dillusional and arrogant stance that the developers of SWTOR have. 

Though, I agree on one thing.  They shouldn't be worrying about GW2 or trying to compete with GW2.  They need all of their focus on trying to fix SWTOR.  Go look at the thread about why people left SWTOR and realize nothing has changed yet and just going F2P won't make much of any difference at all for the majority of people who left the game.

Those "fair weather" fans didn't leave strictly because of other games.  They left because the game is bad.

Why try to bring people back? When the F2p launch goes live, they will gain millions of new customers without flip-flopping their design goals and spending even more money. The game does need improvement, I'll agree, but trying to shoehorn it to please the disenfranchised SWG fanbase will create more problems than it would solve.

Not sure what you are talking about with shoehorning it to please SWG fans.  Never played SWG.  I didn't play SWTOR just because it was a Star Wars game either.

Millions of new customer with F2P?  As hyped and as anticipated as the game was, how many who were interested didn't try it?  Ok...  Let's say you get those "millions" of new customers.  In a game with so many issues, how many will stay or pay for anything from a shop?   How many will experience the story and just leave?

I'm saying they need to fix what is wrong before just swapping it to F2P or what will be the point.  Going F2P won't make the game different or magically fix all it's problems.   They can only keep sitting in denial for so long before someone comes in and shuts the lights off on them for good.

Not sure what you are talking about with shoehorning it to please SWG fans.  Never played SWG.  I didn't play SWTOR just because it was a Star Wars game either.

Millions of new customer with F2P?  As hyped and as anticipated as the game was, how many who were interested didn't try it?  Ok...  Let's say you get those "millions" of new customers.  In a game with so many issues, how many will stay or pay for anything from a shop?   How many will experience the story and just leave?

I'm saying they need to fix what is wrong before just swapping it to F2P or what will be the point.  Going F2P won't make the game different or magically fix all it's problems.   They can only keep sitting in denial for so long before someone comes in and shuts the lights off on them for good.

That's just it though... the game is not broken in the objective sense of the word. You can play 1-50 without any game breaking bugs. This means that your complaints all come back to matters of opinion. That's just it. People *will* play a F2P Star Wars game.. and some will like/love it... so it's a matter of F2P being a way better choice than re-designing the whole game just to please certain people.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am over swtor, cancelled my sub and likely won't play it ever again, but having played gw2 some thisl weekend, I am already bored with it. It doesn't feel like a better game to me. If i hadn't just shelled out 60 bucks for gw2 i'd probably rather play swtor, but as it is I am going to try and force myself to find some redeeming value in this game.

So, what comes out next? 

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Orange: They will gain millions of new customers? No they won't. No MMO gets millions of new customers except for the freaky pink elephant.... and yes it was a freak of nature for that critter to do what it did.

If they get millions half will be Eastern Grind Players on a timeclock sharing character for gold (credit) farming, or at least they will try that for a few months before most get pulled off SWTOR and snet to log in elsewhere. I will never consider those People "MMO Gamers", not in the slightest, nor will they be customers.

Yes, SWTOR will gain new customers, but not millions. If the get a hundred thousand new customers BioWare will be very fortunate. Most people that wanted to play SWTOR and can afford to spend money one it already have, whether or not they wish to admit that publically here.

Green: I actually agree with you on this part. All parties concerned... LA, EA, and BioWare, they all want to get rid of / distance themselves forever from the SWG fans. They want to forget that SWG ever happened. That is very obvious to even the most casual observer. They want all new customers of SWTOR to be people that were NOT SWG customers.

That's just it though... the game is not broken in the objective sense of the word. You can play 1-50 without any game breaking bugs. This means that your complaints all come back to matters of opinion. That's just it. People *will* play a F2P Star Wars game.. and some will like/love it... so it's a matter of F2P being a way better choice than re-designing the whole game just to please certain people.

I said anyone who hasn't played it will play it to see the story.  That is the leveling part.  The 1-50.  And, what money will EA/Bioware make from those people as they play that and leave?  What will people buy if they came for that part of the game? 

Bugs are not the only thing wrong with the game.  I never said it was "broken".  I'd say it's incomplete(missing features), has bad performance, and is boring.  I'd say it's crafting is pretty awful, social points and LS/DS are poorly implemented, armor is pretty horrible aesthetically, and it's pvp is boring and little in content.  It lacks depth, community, economy, and things to do in general.  And let's not forget space combat being on rails and horribly scaled.  Or, how about those load screens to load transit areas to more load screens to get to a location.

Going F2P helps none of that.  And even if you can say that's all my opinion, going F2P only addresses a single reason that people left the game.  It needs more.  F2P is not the savior of SWTOR you think it is.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Green: I actually agree with you on this part. All parties concerned... LA, EA, and BioWare, they all want to get rid of / distance themselves forever from the SWG fans. They want to forget that SWG ever happened. That is very obvious to even the most casual observer. They want all new customers of SWTOR to be people that were NOT SWG customers.

When all is said and done, will they be more ashamed of SWG or SWTOR?

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Orange: They will gain millions of new customers? No they won't. No MMO gets millions of new customers except for the freaky pink elephant.... and yes it was a freak of nature for that critter to do what it did.

If they get millions half will be Eastern Grind Players on a timeclock sharing character for gold (credit) farming, or at least they will try that for a few months before most get pulled off SWTOR and snet to log in elsewhere. I will never consider those People "MMO Gamers", not in the slightest, nor will they be customers.

Yes, SWTOR will gain new customers, but not millions. If the get a hundred thousand new customers BioWare will be very fortunate. Most people that wanted to play SWTOR and can afford to spend money one it already have, whether or not they wish to admit that publically here.

What do you mean by that? Am I to take it as an insult or the fact that SWG fans have long memories and unforgiving? Rest assured, LA, SOE and SWG fans will all go to the grave being reminded daily of that game. I'm proud of my haritage thank you very much!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I think the best way to put it is simple. Those who are interested in staying in fantasy will be playing GW2. SWTOR has no fear what so ever. by the time GW2 was released the majority of their Fantasy players had already jumped ship to another fantasy. So please tell me, in all seriousness, why would a Sci Fi fan jump to a Fantasy game if hes interested in Sci Fi?

Same can be said about TSW. TSW isnt for Fantasy fans, its a Modern Day Fantasy at most. SWTOR, GW2 and TSW are not in competition. TSW is for the players interested in Modern Day, GW2 is for fantasy Fans, SWTOR is for Sci Fi fans. If any game has a risk of outside competition its GW2. Fantasy games are a dime a dozen, where Modern Day is almost non existant and Sci Fi is only slightly better. Players will play in the world they want, I'm sure GW2 is a great game and all. i have no interest in playing another fantasy though so hell will freeze over before i play it.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Nikkita

You know there are enough players in this world to keep all these games going? people who love sc fi and SW IP have no interest in GW2.

I love scifi and somewhat like SW IP and have interest in GW2. I don't even like fantasy or the lore but I like the game itself of it's content and what it has. Your statement isnt entirely true because its kinda sterotype imo if u ask me. I take the game's content and it's ability of freedom over the genre/IP. I can care less. I'm not even a gw2 lore fan but I enjoy the game. I don't like fantasy in fact almost hate it, I enjoy GW2.

What I am saying is, GW2 meets my expectations so fantasy of the game idc, lore of the game idc. the rest I do care and it meant my expectation pretty well or in other words it has what I love the most in mmos.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Jonoku

You know there are enough players in this world to keep all these games going? people who love sc fi and SW IP have no interest in GW2.

I love scifi and somewhat like SW IP and have interest in GW2. I don't even like fantasy or the lore but I like the game itself of it's content and what it has. Your statement isnt entirely true because its kinda sterotype imo if u ask me. I take the game's content and it's ability of freedom over the genre/IP. I can care less. I'm not even a gw2 lore fan but I enjoy the game. I don't like fantasy in fact almost hate it, I enjoy GW2.

Question though if somone released a good Sci Fi would you play it.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

Originally posted by Rayshe

SWG2.0 ya, the thing is in my view, what i see, gw2 is the only mmo that I enjoy the most so far. basically i dont see any other mmo right now but GW2. thats because not many mmos have what GW2 has.

I really think this is my point. Those who were unsatisfied with SWTOR left already, They gave up and played something else. The people still Playing SWTOR are playing it because they want to keep playing in the Sci Fi World rather than a fantasy. you have already left the Sci Fi prior to the release of GW2. so i can now enforce the idea. the people who left SWTOR for other games have already done so. BW wont feel the release of GW2 at all because the players still playing SWTOR, have no interest in it. people who were unsatisfied with SWTOR left it a long time ago.

Because i can.

I really think this is my point. Those who were unsatisfied with SWTOR left already, They gave up and played something else. The people still Playing SWTOR are playing it because they want to keep playing in the Sci Fi World rather than a fantasy. you have already left the Sci Fi prior to the release of GW2. so i can now enforce the idea. the people who left SWTOR for other games have already done so. BW wont feel the release of GW2 at all because the players still playing SWTOR, have no interest in it. people who were unsatisfied with SWTOR left it a long time ago.

You have a good point. 10/10. :D No sarcasm either, I'm not one to disrespect peoples points.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

The important word in that sentence is the qualifier adjective "good".

Good trumps all. Genre, lore, IP.

Do you really think there are no sci-fi fans playing WoW?  Do you think there are more people playing WoW who don't know LOTRO's lore better then WoW's?

Do you think there are no players in SWTOR who don't prefer Star Trek's lore over Star Wars and aren't playing Star Trek On Line?

In gaming (this is my own crackpot theory) In MMOs gameplay>genre>IP. So Guild Wars 2 can poach from any and all MMOs.

Just to throw another wrench in your original statement, if the Star Wars IP was so strong, SWG should have by default had an enormous subscription base. It was if not the only sci-fi MMO, the only one with the Star Wars franchise license.

***edited some stupid.***

In gaming (this is my own crackpot theory) In MMOs gameplay>genre>IP. So Guild Wars 2 can poach from any and all MMOs.

Farther Supports my point.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

The important word in that sentence is the qualifier adjective "good".

Good trumps all. Genre, lore, IP.

Do you really think there are no sci-fi fans playing WoW?  Do you think there are more people playing WoW who know LOTRO's lore better ot WoW's?

Do you think there are no players in SWTOR who don't prefer Star Trek's lore over Star Wars and aren't playing Star Trek On Line?

Just to throw another wrench in your original statement, if the Star Wars IP was so strong, SWG should have by default had an enormous subscription base. It was if not the only sci-fi MMO, the only one with the Star Wars franchise license.

I am a HUGE D&D fan.  Loved some of the RP NWN2 servers, read all kinds of FR books, any D&D game instantly has my intrests perked.  However will not touch that abomiiation called DDO with a 100 meter stick, several times my love for D&D tries it out again but that pos game is just so horribad that no matter how hard I try I can't like it and just loathe the game and the company behind it more and more and will never touch that game ever again now.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Fair weather fans? Really? Is that the BW-friendly way to refer to those who left the game? I would think customers stop using a product when it no longer meets their needs. There is no loyalty coming from those boneheads who made that garbage game, so reciprocating it seems naive.

I do agree that GW2 won't affect SWTOR much. All of those players quit SWTOR months ago.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Except for people just killing time in SWTOR for GW2.  Just like how people killed time in Rift while waiting for SWTOR.  Not saying that GW2 is hurting SWTOR only that there are still those that lingured in SWTOR while waiting for GW2.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    BioWare EA should be worried about every MMO on the horizon, to be honest. 
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I think they gave up on this game. Shame on all of them, but anyway it was worth money that single player expirience
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    BioWare EA should be worried about every MMO on the horizon, to be honest. 

I really think that once they go F2P they'll start making some profit.  As F2P the game will do great or at least significantly better and definately become a leading contender in the F2P MMOs.  It's just not a P2P worthy game.  However this all falls upon whether or not they get the backing and support the need from BW/EA which I think they'd be fools not to.