Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 Hours into it.... i had died 50+ times

2»

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    I keep trying to do my personal story quests alone and 4 or 5 levels behind. I've died so much if there was an MMO heaven it would be full by now.

Just need to be 2 levels below, and they are pretty easy.

Not sure how people are dieing so much, unless they are trying things way above their level, or just staning still getting bashed  Have died like twice, and one was by a training.  Move around and they hardly hit.

I don't die much on the quest and dynmic events.... but I surely died on this platforming puzzle.

BTW - I have been playing for 2 days straight and I have 90 Achievements points.  10 points came from that one puzzle.... it's no joke...

I also think fatigue had a lot to do with the deaths...I was just really tired in the end but I ..... JUST..... WANTED .... TO FINISH IT!!!

I will be going to the other starter zones and doing the puzzles as well.... I'm not in any hurry and with no monthly sub... i can play as little and as much as I want without any reservations...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by slicknslim88
    Yeah I died plenty of times during some of my personal story quests, this game isn't Diablo 3, most definitely not carebear easy.

I guess people use word carebear in their own way. Just sometime back i read in chat that GW2 is carebear because it lacks harsher death penalities and that the game is too safe.

I personally despise this word carebear.

I rarely ever use that word, and I don't think it fits GW2 in any way.  You still have death penalties but they don't limit your gameplay to the point you convince yourself you're getting more out of the game because it's taking you longer to reach your goals.  

"This game has so much longevity.  I must have played 3000 hours!  And only a thousand of those were spent dead because of death penalty!"

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

It's been a while since I pulled all nighters and started hearing the birds chirping lol. Although I haven't died as much as you hehe.

Anyways I'm freaking loving this game to death. What I love is that I'm just wondering, killing, exploring, gathering, and crafting all at such a leisurely pace. I do not feel like I'm rushed or that I have to do a laundry list of tasks. I just sort of do stuff and at the same time the world keeps spinning with or with out me.

Other things that I love about this game is that grouping with friends right out of the gate isn't so penalizing like most modern MMO's. Also grouping with lower level friends is so simple and seamless.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

With OP. If you never die you have a boring game and I will wander off soon enough. I have made some artifical number of saying a decent MMO you should average one death per hour, minimum, otherwise it's too easy. I recall the Tera open beta, I was a healer, not only did I not die once in that weekend, I never had to use the heal spells I was granted as a healer. I'm still in therapy over that, not even heal another, it was too easy. C9, stupid stupid easy. Most are anymore. What is interesting the other game with jump puzzles DDO is the only somewhat mainstream MMO that I can find a challenge in, lost the mission last night, Haywire Foundry, the team overall couldn't jump quick enough before the 5 minute timer and dungeon went BOOM! I've beaten it before, but it's good to know, you might not always.

50 in an hour if that was all the time and all the content, that would be horrific. But in a jumper segment, perfectly fine with me.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Guild Wars is taking over my life.....Last night I spent 3 hours trying to do a platforming puzzle with lightning, wind, rock, and ice obstacles. Died at least 50 times.

Where the heck is that?

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Guild Wars is taking over my life.....Last night I spent 3 hours trying to do a platforming puzzle with lightning, wind, rock, and ice obstacles. Died at least 50 times.

Where the heck is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEvGa2-bXA0

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Havn't had that much fun in years....

My life is over.....

Yeah...   I had some of that.   Not that bad as none of mine were as hard as yours.   But quite a bit of 'zero tolerance' jumping.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

And you just had to rub salt into his happy fun time wound, aye... :P

Forum Rule Number One (aka egoboo for the kids):

Every situation is too easy, because you're just that awesome.  Never skip a chance to tell others how much they need to lrn2ply.

Brilliant.   :)

Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    I keep trying to do my personal story quests alone and 4 or 5 levels behind. I've died so much if there was an MMO heaven it would be full by now.

Just need to be 2 levels below, and they are pretty easy.

Not sure how people are dieing so much, unless they are trying things way above their level, or just staning still getting bashed  Have died like twice, and one was by a training.  Move around and they hardly hit.

I don't die much on the quest and dynmic events.... but I surely died on this platforming puzzle.

BTW - I have been playing for 2 days straight and I have 90 Achievements points.  10 points came from that one puzzle.... it's no joke...

I also think fatigue had a lot to do with the deaths...I was just really tired in the end but I ..... JUST..... WANTED .... TO FINISH IT!!!

I will be going to the other starter zones and doing the puzzles as well.... I'm not in any hurry and with no monthly sub... i can play as little and as much as I want without any reservations...

I did that the first day.   It was time for bed...   But I was captivated by my Charr Warrior's personal story...   And suddenly it was 1AM and kept dying....

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by raistlinm

Havn't had that much fun in years....

My life is over.....

spending three hours dying on a single event is a fun time?!?!?! Talk about old school gaming I gave up that idea as "fun" way back in the days of mario and contra but glad some are getting to enjoy the launch hope they get the issues resolved sooner rather than later though so all interested can join in the fun.

The game is actually really easy for most players. 

The game is challenging but it just doesn't penalize people very harshly. Minimum downtime and maximum play time. That is how MMOS should be.

Challenge should be in the activity itself.

this this this!

@Illyssia

I have seen more people get 1 shotted by same level DE boss fights at level 10 than most max level open world stuff in other MMOs.. game is far from easy for MMO standards

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Ok, I'm an old man and haven't died that many times. Here is the first secret, this isn't WoW and you can't stand there without moving around. The second secret is the most important, know when to run away and recover. Simple enough! :)

Don't feel bad an old man is doing better than you, you have quicker reflexes but I have patience! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Ok, I'm an old man and haven't died that many times. Here is the first secret, this isn't WoW and you can't stand there without moving around. The second secret is the most important, know when to run away and recover. Simple enough! :)

Don't feel bad an old man is doing better than you, you have quicker reflexes but I have patience! :)

some fights you really can't do much for.. like in the frozen maw there's a heart quest to collect kegs in a cave.. a butt load of ice worm guys spawn in the cave and you really have nowhere to run and they will jump up and do their little spin move and one shot you very easily.. found several instances like this where you really didn't have much wiggle room to get away:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    I actually haven't died... Already reached the monthly achievement of 25000 exp earned without dying, but again I knew most of the beginner zones so I knew what to expect and when to gtfo if trouble presented itself and I knew I wouldn't make it out. That and Necromancer's Life Form is just so good to have at hand.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by xposeidon
    I actually haven't died... Already reached the monthly achievement of 25000 exp earned without dying, but again I knew most of the beginner zones so I knew what to expect and when to gtfo if trouble presented itself and I knew I wouldn't make it out. That and Necromancer's Life Form is just so good to have at hand.

I'm necro and still died a bunch.. usually on DE's with lower amounts of people and I get swarmed.. changing forms is a sweet oh shit button though and has saved me on numerous occasions... Necro is the king of survivability in this game though

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Amjoco

some fights you really can't do much for.. like in the frozen maw there's a heart quest to collect kegs in a cave.. a butt load of ice worm guys spawn in the cave and you really have nowhere to run and they will jump up and do their little spin move and one shot you very easily.. found several instances like this where you really didn't have much wiggle room to get away:)

Ok, I will give a break there! :) In most cases though I run like old wine through a sailor!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

The game is actually really easy for most players. 

The game is challenging but it just doesn't penalize people very harshly. Minimum downtime and maximum play time. That is how MMOS should be.

Challenge should be in the activity itself.

I guess i can see what you mean when it comes to the Super Mario jumping but then where is the Challenge in everything else in GW2 ?  

the combat ?   doubtful...

the complex character skills and cleaver rotations ?   ummm nope...

the work and dedication needed to fully level / build your character ?    ... hardly....

So  basically besides jumping puzzles the game offers little challenge for experienced MMO players  :(

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by xposeidon

I'm necro and still died a bunch.. usually on DE's with lower amounts of people and I get swarmed.. changing forms is a sweet oh shit button though and has saved me on numerous occasions... Necro is the king of survivability in this game though

That's right Necros rock, I'm using a mark/wells build and it's working pretty good, switch to minions sometimes depending on the situation, Can't wait to get Lich form though and I'll be immortal then.

I actually almost died at one point in a cave fighting a champion boss, the guy just wouldn't leave me alone and I was running out of CC, he took me down and I was left fighting for my life until like 20% down state then I tried reviving and eventually someone healed me back up. I almost lost all my exp progress there it was a good rush.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

4 Words

Caledon Forest - Dark Reverie

2 hours. 10 deaths. Epic finish.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I gave up on a few jumping puzzles, and just came back later to finish them. was stressful on many of them.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by rutaq
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Hmm, its a pretty solid game but certainly not enough there to keep me away from my main MMO.  So I get to play two MMO's now, thats okay I currently have enough time for that.

I agree, it is a solid fun game, Jumping puzzles, Riddles, Gauntlet style Acrade combat action,  and a cute Single Player RPG quest/story tack on for good measure.

It is an MMO but  feels funny,  the flashy pop ups reminders, hand holding mini map,  chasing Hearts and Triangles,  The zerg rushing DEs,  almost like a cool Mulitplaywr Super Mario.

It is a really fun game but as an MMO it feels abit souless,  It is a streamlined, easy play, casual, Amusement Park, with rides and carnival games.

And that is all that is built these days.  I couldn't agree more.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

I got up to level 3 in the betas to not spoil anything.I didn't like it very much. Couldn't decide on a class, hated the Super Mario Puzzles.
    I played every class to level 5 after the head start and still didn't like it, somehow.
    After turning the WoW/Old School MMO switch off in my head I'm having a blast now. Can't decide between my Guardian and my Thief. I switch from one to the other because it's just fun. I don't have the urge to play just because the subscription is running. This is a HUGE factor for me. I have the epic MMO experience and don't feel the need to rush. That alone makes GW2 awesome! And the vistas are incredible.