Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Question: Is Guild Wars 2 worth $59.99?

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Valua

End of the day is any game really worth that much?

Not really.

But all other games do it, so we think it's normal.

This is one of the games that comes near being worth the price though, but like every other game, it's not worth it really.

I really have to laugh when people say this. Gaming is one of the cheapest ways of entertainment there is. $60,- you say? Well, I play Guild Wars 2 100 hrs for example. That would be $0,60 per hour. PER HOUR. Sure, to play Guild Wars 2 you need a pc. PC's are not cheap. But you wouldn't be interested in GW2 anyway if you didn't have the PC in the first place. You go to the movie for $0,60? You go a night out for $0,60? I guess you read books all week long.

These games cost millions to make, and people these day demand very polished products full with content. It is sad that some games have billions of DLC, or only have 5 hrs gameplay, that is very sad indeed.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Yeah I would say it's def worth 59.99, though I don't really think it lives up to anywhere near the amount of hype it got.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Seriously, you are questioning this?

FFS, the game has enough content to keep someone with only a single digit IQ busy for several months.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by causs
    Originally posted by Valua

End of the day is any game really worth that much?

Not really.

But all other games do it, so we think it's normal.

This is one of the games that comes near being worth the price though, but like every other game, it's not worth it really.

I really have to laugh when people say this. Gaming is one of the cheapest ways of entertainment there is. $60,- you say? Well, I play Guild Wars 2 100 hrs for example. That would be $0,60 per hour. PER HOUR. Sure, to play Guild Wars 2 you need a pc. PC's are not cheap. But you wouldn't be interested in GW2 anyway if you didn't have the PC in the first place. You go to the movie for $0,60? You go a night out for $0,60? I guess you read books all week long.

These games cost millions to make, and people these day demand very polished products full with content. It is sad that some games have billions of DLC, or only have 5 hrs gameplay, that is very sad indeed.

I laugh when people try to defend the silly prices of games.

I didn't say it wasn't one of the cheapest forms of entertainment, but I think the entertainment industry as a whole is laregely over priced.

There are great games, much better than GW2 for a fraction of the price. Big bugets don't mean a good game, I mean look at SWTOR, biggest gaming budget of all time and it's considered a critical and financial flop.

Books are also over priced, £15 for a hardback it costs in the UK.

I still buy games, books, music and go to watch movies, but I know they're overpriced.

Also, the best entertainment I get is free, spending time with my friends, writing and generally making my own entertainment.

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175

Valua..I suppose you think food, and just about everything is overpriced then since At 60 cents an hour you would starve to death. There is nothing overpriced about computer games...THey have been the same price basically since the 1980s..Talk about no inflation.

How can you call $60 to much for a product that took many millions of dollars to develop.  You can not even compare it to the price of a movie..a DVD, or even a book...based on cost per hour of entertainment.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Damn rights this game is worth every penny.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    It is worth at least 79.99 for me. I bought 20 dollars worth of gems image
  • ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Its worth that plus a ton extra! Its one of the best games I've played in a long time! 19 hours into it I still can't get enough of it
  • clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    Coming to the GW2 section to post something like this is probably not the best way to find an unbiased opinion. That being said, in my OPINION it is worth the 60 bucks.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Its really up to you. If $60 means going without something important then no. If you have $60 burning a hole in your pocket that you might just spend on something stupid just to spend it, then GW2 would be a wise investment.

I dont regret my purchase, but I also havent been playing much atm. The constant zoning and group issues have made me find other things to do. Once after the 3rd stage of the launch (28th) things may smooth out a bit to where grouping and zone bouncing isnt as much of a chore.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by dbgager

Valua..I suppose you think food, and just about everything is overpriced then since At 60 cents an hour you would starve to death. There is nothing overpriced about computer games...THey have been the same price basically since the 1980s..Talk about no inflation.

How can you call $60 to much for a product that took many millions of dollars to develop.  You can not even compare it to the price of a movie..a DVD, or even a book.

Anyone who says games aren't worth $60 probably didn't grow up in the 80's.  There were 8-bit games that cost the same price and only provided hours of entertainment because 

A.) You knew as a kid you wouldn't be getting another one soon so you were stuck replaying it

and B.) They were really hard and took forever to beat.

Even in our shitty economy, $60 isn't overpriced for a good game.  I expect to play GW2 longer than any of the Summer deals I get on Steam.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    It was worth $60 just to play the Betas. 

^ got more enjoyable gametime from the BWEs than i get from many single player games I spend the same exact amount for.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• UgeniusUgenius Member UncommonPosts: 40

HAHA!

Have you played Shining in the Darkness

It was a $100.00 dollars when it first came out. Early 80s or  so.

It was no mmo but it was a rpg.

I paid the price and had a awesome time.

Im actually playing shining force 3 (AWESOME TOO) cost me $5.00 on ebay lol. Awsome rpg too.

So yah GW2 is worth 60 for me.( If only i can log in) :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I say its worth 100$ from added cash shop incentive

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

How can you call $60 to much for a product that took many millions of dollars to develop.  You can not even compare it to the price of a movie..a DVD, or even a book...based on cost per hour of entertainment.

I think food is a necessity to life, games/dvd's/books/music aren't. Also food isn't overpriced, depends where you shop, and price doesn't mean nothing about the quality of it. Like games, you can spend £10 on a game and have a great time, or £60 and have a bad time, or vice versa.

Also, game prices have changed, in the 90's the average game was between £30-40, now they are between £40-60. Not a massive difference, but still a difference.

Also, for arguments sake, just because something has been the way it has for a long time doesn't make it right, or good.

The bible and racism have been around for a long time, it doesn't make them right or good (Bit OT I know.) Or the movie industry, £13 for a ticket to a movie is stupidly over priced, and they've always been over priced since cinema's were first introduced. 

Point is, the game industry, and most of the entertainment industry, have been over priced for a long time, if not forever.

If you consider £0.60 an hour for entertainment well spent then that's up to you. 

The entertainment industry makes millions in profit, I think it's over the top, they should make a profit yes, but at the expense of over charging customers? But everyone just agrees with it anyway.

I'm not some kind of hippie, I do buy games, I go to the cinema, I buy books and music,  I just don't agree with the prices.

Back on topic for this thread; Like I said earlier, GW2 is close to being worth the price imo, but no game will ever be worth £60 in my eyes. Sorry to those who disagree, it's my opinion.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    No... to me it's worth a lot more :P  GW2 actually makes me feel a bit ashamed that I've paid $60+ for other games single player and MMO lol. 
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

people payed 59$ for D3 and its was crap.

i payed skyrim 59$ and i had done the game in 200 hours or almost,

i plan on playing gw2 years ... maybe, i think yes its totaly worth the price,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    I have played the game for 27 hours so far and I love the game, and I know that I will enjoy the game for a long long time. Easily worth $59.99 in my opinion. I even bought 4000 gems, dont remember the price, but still worth it. I would easily subscribe for a montly fee on top of what I have already paid, which I without a doubt believe that they diserve for doing all the hard work that there is with MMO's.

NO.. Valua The prices have not changed...I have been buying games since my first Atari 520ST , and my first 8086 IBM PC in the early 1980s. They have always been priced around the $50.00 mark or even higher..

Read and learn. You actually must be pretty young however to believe what you are saying..

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/10/an-inconvenient-truth-game-prices-have-come-down-with-time/

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Absolutely.  This is the best MMO to come along in ages.  You're missing out if you aren't playing it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

NO.. Valua The prices have not changed...I have been buying games since my first Atari 520ST , and my first 8086 IBM PC in the early 1980s. They have always been priced around the $50.00 mark or even higher..

Read and learn. You actually must be pretty young however to believe what you are saying..

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/10/an-inconvenient-truth-game-prices-have-come-down-with-time/

yea I remember paying $74.99 for Final fantasy VII.. remember paying $50+ for nes games back in the day as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Just to add to the subject about the cost of vidoe games remaining basicly the same. I went to a cost of inflation calculator.

If in 1985 I purchased an item for $50.00 then in 2012 the same item would cost $106.46 -rate of inflation change 112.9%. We are getting a lot more value... for our  $50  today than we where then.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Sorry..I will not go off topic anymore...just wanted to make that final point.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Ocenica

If you have had access to this "head start" event; I, and many other people would like to know your real, down and dirty, simple opinion of, if the game is worth the $59.99 that the game now costs. 

Please take into account the time you have spent playing, the general opinion you have of the game, and as importantly: if you knew now, what you knew then; would you still purchase GW2?

Worth every single dime , I regret not buying the CE but will upgrade to digital.

As a long time mmorpg player since muds , I can say even I feel this is a steal, even if it had a monthly sub I would still play it because it feels like a sub based game without the sub, so well done.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

yea I remember paying $74.99 for Final fantasy VII.. remember paying $50+ for nes games back in the day as well

hell I remember paying $120.00 for Phantasy star 4 on sega and Lunar eternal blue which was $130.00 back in the day yeesh LOL

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    If I buy the game from their site right now, the 59.99 version do I get to play right away?