Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community gets 2 thumbs down, and it shouldn't be this bad.

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

When Rift was launched ,map (public) chat was so horrible that trolling would be to call a elephant a mouse. The chat was full of nazi,racist,hateful comments , I never seen something like that before.

Than TERA was launched and the chat was full of openly pedofiliac people, boasting about rape.

That is horrible.

But that is internet, and that is what is killing mainstream MMOs.

Its not GW2.

And aside from that I think it depends on the server. On Gandara , I seen nothing like that.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Zezda

Dunno what to say, everyone I have seen on Underworld has been super nice!

Sucks that you got assholes in the chat, feel for you.

I m from underworld. Our server is full of assholes. Just read the chat. Ppl are insulting each other like there is no tomorrow. 

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I honestly haven't experienced any of this. I've been on overflow servers as well, but I actually had people congratulating each other on WvW victories, doing trade and excitedly talking about the game. Was a little bitching during day 1 but people were fairly respectful about it.

Didn't see much QQing or trolling going around. If you're on Tarnished Coast you should be aware that it was specifically targeted by 4chan for trolling.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    free server changes for a week! get'em while you can!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

Don't let it put you down , please.

Like all over the world, there is alway an idiot up to no good, but can you imagine the happiness you would give that idiot if he knew how you feel about it?

The guy might be so stupid that he would go rampaging about how he's able to tear down people to nothing with stupidity.

I always try to remember what Einstein (Albert) said :"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity "

So pls don't conver to it, just ignore/ change server / just let it be for what it is : nothing.

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by adam_nox

First off, my problem is that map channel is full of trolls and aholes and people bickering with each other.  Even when someone does something semi rp, they do it to insult someone, and then someone else has to then nitpick at whether or not they have the lore correct.  It's seriously the most senseless behavior I have ever seen.

This is not a typical 'plop five dollars down to play during headstart'.  These are people who paid 60 dollars to play the game a few days early.  If they are acting like this, god knows how it's going to be at release, and how bad it will get as some people tire of the game.

I'm really dissapointed.  As much as I should expect it, I suddenly feel sick to my stomach with it.  Why pay money to log into a game and be an ahole to others?   I don't get it.  Why aren't people cooperating, calling out asking for groups, helping others, etc?

Is there nothing at low levels that requires cooperation and grouping? 

Does it have something to do with constantly being in an overflow server?

Maybe it's just the late night crowd...

We tried to warn you.  F2P (or in this case B2P, whatever the hell they want to call it)  =  shit community.  Thats just the way it is.  People who can afford $15 a month for an mmo (almost always) have jobs, which means they're generally reasonably responsible people.  People who can't are usually slackers, degenerates or super young.  Either way they're not people you want to associate with in game.

Could you be any more cynical and ignorant? 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Best community I have ever, and I will say it again, EVER, been in with an mmorpg. I am an old player too! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Best community I have ever, and I will say it again, EVER, been in with an mmorpg. I am an old player too! 

Agreed. So many people working together and answering other people's questions in chat. 

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    OP what server are you on? (so I can avoid it) 
    Typical chat in game. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Huh. MMORPG's are full of these people? I think you'll find it's just humanity in general.

Start a cult, become a spiritual leader or an award winning author. Fix society yourself and these problems won't happen, if you're not willing to do anything just accept that you live in a cesspool.

Hi

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by adam_nox

First off, my problem is that map channel is full of trolls and aholes and people bickering with each other.  Even when someone does something semi rp, they do it to insult someone, and then someone else has to then nitpick at whether or not they have the lore correct.  It's seriously the most senseless behavior I have ever seen.

This is not a typical 'plop five dollars down to play during headstart'.  These are people who paid 60 dollars to play the game a few days early.  If they are acting like this, god knows how it's going to be at release, and how bad it will get as some people tire of the game.

I'm really dissapointed.  As much as I should expect it, I suddenly feel sick to my stomach with it.  Why pay money to log into a game and be an ahole to others?   I don't get it.  Why aren't people cooperating, calling out asking for groups, helping others, etc?

Is there nothing at low levels that requires cooperation and grouping? 

Does it have something to do with constantly being in an overflow server?

Maybe it's just the late night crowd...

Sadly, the RP server days of Dark Age of Camelot are long gone.  Those were golden times, when intelligent folks knew that RP just meant to not speak about modern topics and to do one's best to see their mmorpg world from their character's eyes (Sorry emo RP folks from WOW's Moonguard who RP love stories while the Horde tears up Goldshire, that's just not it).

GW2, like many so called mmo video games, is just that, a video game.  You aren't going to draw the old RP communities from EQ, Asheron's Call, Ultima and DAoC (It would be nice though), because the game doesn't do anything to draw on that population because they are a niche group. 

The games are built to service the majority today - whereas ten years ago, it was meant to service the Dungeons and Dragons pen and paper crowd.  Call us/them a nerdy bunch, but man could we build a community in an mmorpg.

C'est la vie.  Just enjoy Guild Wars 2 like a beer - not in excess and don't take it too seriously.  Just have fun with what they have to offer and bide your time until Elder Scrolls Online is released (it must be good because the F2p and younger gamer crowd are hating it).

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Its going to be insteresting to say the least...seeing as theres no paywall to keep out players who had purchased the game and would otherwise move on.

All the mega-hype games have the same community imo...and its all aweful.

Not so bad if you can find the mature community hidden and then close off all communications with public chats...but im a firm believer that you shouldnt have to do that.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Typical chat in game. 

This Matches my experience as well. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Man, every server is identical.

Its all just people.

And the internet is full of pricks.

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    Im level 23 and I havent really noticed any bad stuff in chat. Maybe because my server is better, or because im used to the bad chat from other online games. Either way, I would suggest you find a nice guild, because most guilds have rules about being nice and respecting others in chat etc, problem solved. Internet has tons of trolls, internet heroes and shitkids, its just the way it is and always will be.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I still dont understand why people think communities will be any different when it comes to mmo's today..

the only time you stand a chance of finding a 'good' community in an mmo is when playing a niche or old mmo.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    OP could you post your server so people can avoid it, everyone else's server seems to have a fair to good community.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by tank017

I still dont understand why people think communities will be any different when it comes to mmo's today..

the only time you stand a chance of finding a 'good' community in an mmo is when playing a niche or old mmo.

Well right now, this community has been the best I have ever seen as I said before. It may be because there is so much to do and no one is bored. I'm sure it will change as people gradually hit 80 and have nothing better to do than call other players mothers names or type a word followed by "anal". I never understood the excitement of that but I'm an old man that has old school values. :/

OP can you bring on some SS?

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    If you've read the gw2 forums during beta the nature of the community should be no surprise to you. And before I get accused of trolling, there isn't a person here that can say gw2 fanboy wasn't militant and thus provoking intense hater responses as well.
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Typical chat in game. 

This Matches my experience as well. 

Same here. He might be labeling whole game as bad when only a few are annoying.

BOOYAKA!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by KingGator
    If you've read the gw2 forums during beta the nature of the community should be no surprise to you. And before I get accused of trolling, there isn't a person here that can say gw2 fanboy wasn't militant and thus provoking intense hater responses as well.

Yup.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Right now GW2 hasn't formed it's own community. It's a just mash up from people from all other MMOs.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

This is the same crowd that goes from new mmo to new mmo.  People on this site seem to think it was the "WoW" community - but the immature assholes have mostly left that game and moved on to whatever new thing pops up.

Seriously - these guys are just in all new games - feasting on any new content they can find.

Tera -One day when I was playing Tera's open beta, there was a huge argument over whether the amount of cores a CPU has determines its speed.  People started calling each other F***ing idiots.  It was pretty pathetic.

SWTOR - I talked about the 'Clunky' game controls (which I later discovered was the ability delay).  I was playing a Bounty Hunter healing spec.  A guy told me to "STFU" and "Learn how to play using F1, F2, F3, F4."  At first I was angry because I DO use keybindings when I was play.  But then I just lol'd because the guy was skipping my whole argument completely (something I found common during those first few weeks with the SWTOR community).

WoW - Well, everybody has met some douchebag in this game.  It tends to happen when you have the largest community.

Warhammer - The PvP boys came out A-runnin' and it spilled over to the forums (of course these weren't the forums hosted by Mythic - Mythic decided to not have forums when Warhammer launched.) A guild that decided to be our rivals (not sure why) also decided to steal my guild leader's name as soon as servers were available and taunt him repeatedly via the forums.  Looking back, it was pretty funny.

Darkfall Online - Repeatedly getting ganked while just trying to pick my berries :(

I will say, Darkfall definitely had some nice people in it who would just talk to me and give me stuff because I was new :)

Anyways, yeah the internet is filled with bastards.  Fun times.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    The community on my server is pretty cool. Which is surprising considering the attitude prevalent on this board and others.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.