Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Release Pricing

SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I understand that from GW2.com the price was £49.99 and that got you 3 day headstart, normal pre orders from places like amazon are £35.

Does anyone know how much the digital purchase from GW2.com will be after release, surely cheaper than £49.99?

Tuesday is payday for me and I have already downloaded the game so i'd rather not order a physical box but if the price difference is £15 i will have to, any help is appreciated!

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SlickShoes
    I understand that from GW2.com the price was £49.99 and that got you 3 day headstart, normal pre orders from places like amazon are £35. Does anyone know how much the digital purchase from GW2.com will be after release, surely cheaper than £49.99? Tuesday is payday for me and I have already downloaded the game so i'd rather not order a physical box but if the price difference is £15 i will have to, any help is appreciated!

Hopefully cheaper in the near future...

If i could wait long enough, Maybe i would be able to see it on steam for $20 in a years time. :P

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Prices typically don't go down until a game loses a lot of popularity.  That is usually at least a year down the road.  I'm not sure where you saw the prices lower than GW2's official website has, but I would be cautious of those sites.  ArenaNet has already stated that they will not honor CD keys purchased from non-authorized retailers.  A list of authorized retailers can be found on the official site.  

Amazon frequently acts as a store front for other retailers.  Make sure you are buying directly from Amazon and not from another retailer who is just using Amazon's site.  Don't click on the "X used & new from X other sellers" link.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    If you wait until after release, why don't you just buy the boxed version? You don't need to install it from disc or download it again, you only need to key. The only thing would be if you do not want to spend money before payday, but it's not like £35 is a major investment..?

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by syntax42

Prices typically don't go down until a game loses a lot of popularity.  That is usually at least a year down the road.  I'm not sure where you saw the prices lower than GW2's official website has, but I would be cautious of those sites.  ArenaNet has already stated that they will not honor CD keys purchased from non-authorized retailers.  A list of authorized retailers can be found on the official site.  

Amazon frequently acts as a store front for other retailers.  Make sure you are buying directly from Amazon and not from another retailer who is just using Amazon's site.  Don't click on the "X used & new from X other sellers" link.

The price of the game from amazon.co.uk and play.com is £35, i think shopto.net is slightly more expensive.

Originally posted by Anireth
    If you wait until after release, why don't you just buy the boxed version? You don't need to install it from disc or download it again, you only need to key. The only thing would be if you do not want to spend money before payday, but it's not like £35 is a major investment..?

I don't want to spend the money before payday because my account is at 0 so there is no money to spend, I would just like to get the game as cheap as possible, if GW2.com is still £50 then I will have to just order else where and wait another day I guess.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    So head to Tesco or your local Game store on Tuesday. Pretty sure you'll pick up a standard box for £35.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by syntax42
    Prices typically don't go down until a game loses a lot of popularity.  That is usually at least a year down the road.  I'm not sure where you saw the prices lower than GW2's official website has, but I would be cautious of those sites.  ArenaNet has already stated that they will not honor CD keys purchased from non-authorized retailers.  A list of authorized retailers can be found on the official site.   Amazon frequently acts as a store front for other retailers.  Make sure you are buying directly from Amazon and not from another retailer who is just using Amazon's site.  Don't click on the "X used & new from X other sellers" link.

This game's a bit different since it won't have the subs to sustain it. It needs the boxed sales.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I would wait til the first price drop...that's what I always do and haven't been disappointed yet.  It gets the "launch" bugs out of the way and you can really tell if it's going to be a lasting game like Rift or WoW, or if it's going to be a "tyvm for your box money" going to f2p 6 months later game.  I'll never pre-order another game in my life...well unless I'm 100% sure I'm going to play it, like MoP or Rift: Storm Legion
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I think ANet can go the usual Blizzard route and keep the prices fairly high for quite a while.  It is B2P and not a sub game, there's no reason to drastically reduce the price.  But I assume they'll follow pretty close with the price reduction schedule on games like Skyrim.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Semi off topic;

But I just checked the physical store price for Australia and its $82

Sure as shit wont buy it from a physical store until they atleast halve that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Semi off topic;

But I just checked the physical store price for Australia and its $82

Sure as shit wont buy it from a physical store until they atleast halve that.

That is brutal!

I think my best bet is just hitting a supermarket to see if they stock it, although not many have PC games at all, all the game stores shut down near me haha thanks for all the opinions anyway!