Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Bioware EA worried about GW2 at all?

Wow and TSW have big things going on around GW2 launch.  Does BW doing anything at all to give a shout about their mmo?  I know it doesnt look good and the game is really dissapointing and do believe its too late to try to challenge the top dogs but they can at least try to salavage something try some special announcements (like playing wookies or new 3D space combat, new social events-pazaak,swoop racing, dynamic world events, etc.    I know BW had a event recently but dont go to their site anymore and heard its not so great.    If that is all they had planned for period around their competitors, its not very impressed.  If BW was serious they would trying anything to regain lost numbers (Not just F2P).   But the damage done may to great for that, who knows really.  Just my 2 cents.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I think BioWare/EA have fully given up on SWTOR already :( Sad I'd say, because with a major player like GW2 they really should do their best to compete with it...
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

Wow and TSW have big things going on around GW2 launch.  Does BW doing anything at all to give a shout about their mmo?  I know it doesnt look good and the game is really dissapointing and do believe its too late to try to challenge the top dogs but they can at least try to salavage something try some special announcements (like playing wookies or new 3D space combat, new social events-pazaak,swoop racing, dynamic world events, etc.    I know BW had a event recently but dont go to their site anymore and heard its not so great.    If that is all they had planned for period around their competitors, its not very impressed.  If BW was serious they would trying anything to regain lost numbers (Not just F2P).   But the damage done may to great for that, who knows really.  Just my 2 cents.

No. People on swtor.com forums is talking about ¨the fail of GW2 launch¨, the population drop on the servers, is not really there. Most of the people playing GW2 atm, talking about the swtor.com playerbase, still have their swtor subs. In the long term, and in the case of GW2 is 1 month or less, people will get bored and come back to their old MMOs. 

• KumateKumate Member Posts: 69

The Secret World postpone their Update #2 to Septemeber 11th because it wasn't ready for launch on the 28th and because they are reorganizing the staff (firing people) and that process will take some time away from the developers for a little bit. 

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

You know there are enough players in this world to keep all these games going? people who love sc fi and SW IP have no interest in GW2. Maybe they will try it for novelty sake and then go back to SWTOR.

Why EA/Bioware should be woried? there is always a dip in player population in major MMOS when a high profile MMO releases but things settle down after a while.

Bite Me

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    I think they still have the same problem they always had, incompetent leadership thats out of touch with players and the inability to successfully impliment any good ideas they actually do come up with.  IMO, its not that they don't know they need to do better, they just lack the skill to get it done.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I think BioWare/EA have fully given up on SWTOR already :( Sad I'd say, because with a major player like GW2 they really should do their best to compete with it...

If they had given up on it I would think they wouldn't waste time with the f2p conversion as well as the myriad of things that are going to come with that new build fact remains for them though that without the competition from either TSW or GW2 they didn't reach expectations why waste resources now when they aren't satisfied with the results they have reached with no competiton.

i have to add that I'm a full time player and rarely hear any talk about GW2 (unless they are quick to ban people for that) and the servers over this weekend have held steady populations right in line with what it had been for the last few weeks so it seems that GW2 launch isn't effecting SWTOR much at all.

I would think the tone as of late would keep those who are happy with TOR from even going all gaga over GW2, we've been having to deal with the constant bashing of the game and more often our own opinions by the same people who are populating GW2 right now so it really doesn't surprise me that while GW2 fans are acting like this is the second coming of the TOR launch TOR servers haven't seemed to change much.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I look at it this way, we finally have 3 popular MMO's (SWToR, TSW and GW2) released so far, the playerbase will go to their game of choice and finally everyone will be content. The next big one of course will be WoW's: MoP expansion.

What a great year for PC gamers whatever your game choice is.

I personally can't wait till PS2 is released though, very intense and strategic combat scenarios is what I experienced so far if your into MMOFPS games.

I been on vacation since last week and enjoying my time away from work and gaming, but can't wait to get home and try out GW2 with my coworkers and see if it is a game that lives up to its hype.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

EA Bioware doesn't really have any real plan of action for anything.  There is nobody running the show to orchestrate such a power play against any competitor.  They are simply slowly releasing stuff that was stripped out from the beta.  A big portion of their development team was fired in a couple layoff rounds earlier this year.

The only plan of attack that I've seen them do was to leave GW2 bashing threads on their forums .. which end up backfiring I think.  You see, the more people jump in and give a bunch of illogical lines about how much fun SWTOR has been over the past 8 months, the more they lose credibility.  Then people come in and give logical arguments why GW2 is better.  EA once again shoots themselves in the foot for allowing competitor bashing threads.

I was planning on picking up GW2 a month or so from release, so things can stabalize first .. but actually after visiting the hate on the SWTOR forums, I think I'll grab it next week if I can find it.  Great advertisement I'd say, though it wasn't EA's intentions, LOL.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    I think they're worried about themselves, not any other game. The design of their game is completely out of tune with their goal. Unless they scrap the whole thing and redo it, a la the NGE, they'll never make it back.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Is there anyone there to worry about GW2?  Apart from a maintenance man or 2 maybe a handeful of devs, all their waking hours are taken by trying to keep the game up let alone worry about compeition.

GW2 is already no.1 on xfire and I would be surprised if it didnt beat wow's numbers as it has no subsctiption.

If they were going to make an effort to compete they would have gone F2P on the day of GW2s launch but they dont have the staffers to implement it.

Ill put it another way, an EA exec recently said they will be basically putting as much effort into swtor as say tiger woods pga, their top games get their focus and swtor is way low on the list for attention.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Well, as pointed out before, the only real response SWTOR side were some GW2 bashing threads on their forums. (They basically were calling the pre-launch a failure because the log-in servers were overwhelmed for a few hours Satursay morning.)

Those threads were eventually pared down to one toned down remaining. (Just because irony is funny and Kharma is a bitch, the European servers went down for many users, primarily the UK Sunday morning.)

As far as stating that GW2 has had little to no effect on the SWTOR servers, I don't think that is very accurate. As pointed out earlier, GW2's prelaunch is #3 on X-Fire (the #1 MMO ahead of WoW). It has about 10,000 players. Meanwhile SWTOR has dwindled sown to 1,200 players on Saturday.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/swtor

This is the first weekend where the 6 month subs (assuming they didn't renew) are gone; so you could attribute it to that. If you want to attribute it to the European server glitch, I guess you could do that to.  Either way, the SWTOR hours of number played as fallen form 7,100 last Saturday to 5,800 this Saturday. (Where GW2 happened to be in prelaunch.) Of course you coluld dismiss this indicated x fire trend by the usual argument that x fire date is useless, invalid, inaccurate, favors certain demographics over others, etc.

If you look to tor.status as another indicator of empirical data on SWTOR's population: Today in their above and beyond usual bsiest day, Sunday prime time, North AMerica has 2 heavy servers, 7 standard, and 3 light. Europe has 2 standard servers and 2 light. Asia-Pacific has 2 light servers. Needless to say this indicates server populations are falling, not in the tailspin as before, but still falling. GW2 seems to have accelerated this trend.

Mind you, the FTP announcement was around August 1st. If people decide to unsubscribe for SWTOR due to that alone, you won't see them falling from subscription ranks till September 20th. In addition if people decide to cancel their subs due switch exclusively to GW2 you won't see them fall of subscription rolls till October 20th. Also, this weekend is still GW2's prelaunch, it doesn't open its gates to everyone till Tuesday.

To be honest though, I don't think any of this unexpected. You could argue that the GW2 launch is only drawing players for the initial "check it out" crowd", wou will get bored and return to where they came from. This seems a bit of a thin argument for SWTOR since they haven't had any new content since April and don't really have anything promised in the near future with a concrete date, just a Warzone and an Operation in "Fall") You could argue that since GW2 has no sub fee, people will keep their subscription to SWTOR and play GW2 simualtaneously. That seems to be putting a lot of faith into hoping people will play one Buy-To-Play game and continue subscribing to another game slated to go to FTP in November.

But as I said none of this seems terribly unexpected . SWTOR's lack of any real  immediate response as pointed out earlier, is that they just don't have the man power or anything that they really can do in the form of a response to GW2's release. Their only real response was decided in late April when they decided to convert to a FTP model on a reduced staff. SWTOR's ship has been set on that course hoping to find friendlier waters. THere is little else they can do now besides pray and stay the course. Their only other option is to scuttle the ship and I doubt sailors without lifeboats are going to opt for that.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    After 2 rounds of layoffs server merges down to 20 or so and free to play all before GW2 launched, I don't think they are worried about GW2. What they should have been worried about was making a good game...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

BW is too worried about keeping their players and giving them what they want.  The last thing they can deal with is releasing stuff to counter another game.  They just don't have that luxury.  When stuff is ready they release it.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    By the end of the year, we will find more people playing tor, than gw2. or wait a Month, maybe less to find how popular and populated is actually gw2.  
  • BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

I can honestly say there are not less people playing than last week, or the week before.   You can say that it's because there isn't anyone playing but that isi incorrect.  

Personally I think TOR will be fine in the long run.  The star wars license and the fact that it's easier to get into than SWG mean that  it will have a steady stream of new players and F2P only helps that.   EA is prepared to give TOR one more shot and already has a new live action trailer ready.  No it wont change the genre but it will be fine. 

Guild Wars 2 is doing great.  But in the months ahead? Guild wars had a great start as well, and every time an expansion came out many people bought it.  But on a day to day basis, it hardly had 7 million players.  I'd wager it was more like 50-60,000.   With GW2, arena net has a much bigger dev team and it needs active players, not just ' 1 month when there's an expansion' players.  That could be a problem. 

Originally posted by hikaru77
    By the end of the year, we will find more people playing tor, than gw2. or wait a Month, maybe less to find how popular and populated is actually gw2.  

That's a bold statement.

It's also reminiscient of similar statements made about D3 (I know it's not a true MMO). Most consider it to be underperforming. without PVP, and is undergoing tweaks to classes, gear, and monsters. That said, it's still does about 6 times better on xfire then SWTOR. I know you can't campare games actoss xfire directly, it's not an apples to apples comparison, still, that's a lot of oranges compared to not so many apples.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

I look at it this way, we finally have 3 popular MMO's (SWToR, TSW and GW2) released so far, the playerbase will go to their game of choice and finally everyone will be content. The next big one of course will be WoW's: MoP expansion.

What a great year for PC gamers whatever your game choice is.

I personally can't wait till PS2 is released though, very intense and strategic combat scenarios is what I experienced so far if your into MMOFPS games.

I been on vacation since last week and enjoying my time away from work and gaming, but can't wait to get home and try out GW2 with my coworkers and see if it is a game that lives up to its hype.

strangely enough..i have these 3 mmo's in my system..atm i am playing more secret world than gw2..waiting for swtor to go f2p..so we will see how it goes..but i enjoy all 3.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Unless someone plays on all the SWTOR servers at the same time comments about SWTOr being more popular now tha n last week are ... stretched. Players will migrate to more crowded servers however.

As far as GW2 goes however it needs to be remembered how sucessful GW1 is/was. Along with WoW it is the other 10 ton beast in the room.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I don't think they have fully given up but yeah, they are probably trying to cut their losses as much as possible now that they realise that the boat is slowly sinking.

Originally posted by Yamota

I don't think they have fully given up but yeah, they are probably trying to cut their losses as much as possible now that they realise that the boat is slowly sinking.

I wouldn't describe declaring your P2P flagship the first proactively converted FTP submersible slowly sinking.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

most players who still playing TOR are SW or sci fi fans,they don't care for one more  fatasy mmo on market

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Originally posted by Yamota

I wouldn't describe declaring your P2P flagship the first proactively converted FTP submersible slowly sinking.

Well it was slowly sinking before it went F2P. Now how it fares as F2P is anyone's guess, but mine would be that it will survive for quite a while, just like STO. However, it will never be among the top MMORPGs out there.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

swg was a much better starwars game than swtor .

swtor   was a step back what racees there was all look the same, in swg they were much better more choice and yesyou could play wookie from the start :).

swg space combat was great , swtor was lacking.

but to me swg was a far better game than swtor will ever be.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    SWTOR just had an event last week. The game has turned a profit through CE, headphone, keyboard, mouse, and other merch sales, and their aub numers are over the "profitable" margin. That said, a large number of their fair weather fans have jumped over to Tera and TSW by now... so GW2 probably won't impact SWTOR.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    That said, a large number of their fair weather fans have jumped over to Tera and TSW by now... so GW2 probably won't impact SWTOR.

This is the same type of dillusional and arrogant stance that the developers of SWTOR have. 

Though, I agree on one thing.  They shouldn't be worrying about GW2 or trying to compete with GW2.  They need all of their focus on trying to fix SWTOR.  Go look at the thread about why people left SWTOR and realize nothing has changed yet and just going F2P won't make much of any difference at all for the majority of people who left the game.

Those "fair weather" fans didn't leave strictly because of other games.  They left because the game is bad.