Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for help, suggestions, and life counseling

ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

I need help…I have been a MMO vagabond for the last two years drifting between WoW, Rift, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, AoC, and Tera. I played WoW for several years and really enjoyed my time there. Then when Cataclysm hit I just didn't like it like I use to, so I quit. Not sure if it was burn out, not enjoying Cataclysm, or some combination of both.

I went to Rift and maxed out a character and then the guild I was in seemed to self imploded and I just decided to step back and take a break from the game. At that point I played LotRO for several months and tried out Warhammer and Tera briefly. I enjoy MMOs and I want to commit to one, so I feel connected to the world I play in, but I am having a hard time doing so. I also really need to find a good guild that fits my play style and interests.

I am what you would call a casual player. Real life limits my playing time to 1-2 hours most week nights and then maybe 3-4 hours a day on Fridays-Sundays. I have never been a part of what I would call a good guild that seemed to have a sense of community and met my play style, so that might be part of my problem.

At this point I would say  I am deciding between WoW, Rift, and LotRo. I have tried our GW2 and I will drop in it from time to time, but it is just not my cup of tea.

Below are my Pros and Cons for each game.

Game World
I enjoy questing, holiday events, and lore. I don't mind kill ten of these and come back quests, but I like a story that seems to be building to something also. I love a large open world feel that I can explorer and all three of these seems to have that in common.

My Rating
1. WoW and LotRO - Too close to call
3. Rift

Auction House/Economy
I enjoy playing the auction house. When it came to that WoW and LotRO seemed to be the best. Maybe it was my shard, but Rift seemed very hard to make consistent money off the auction house and the economy just seemed stagnant.

My Rating
1. LotRO - Just a slight edge over WoW
2. WoW
3. Rift

Dungeons
I like to run dungeons, but I know I am no better than a average player. I'm "old" and don't have the greatest reactions times. But I do like to understand whatever I am playing and know what I should be doing, so I seem to be able to make out fine in regular mode dungeons and run then with LFG in most games I play. I did enjoy how easy it was to run dungeons in LFG in WoW. Rift has LFG, but it seems harder to get a group for the lower dungeons if you are doing alts. I admit I would never be in a progression raiding group I don't have the skill and I would not enjoy the pressure, but the WoW raider finder does look like something I might at least try. I have have never even run a LotRO dungeon and it doesn't even concern me for some reason.

My Rating
1. WoW - Love things like Scholomance and Stratholme style dungeons and getting into a group so quickly most of the time
2. Rift - Really enjoyed their dungeons, but I seemed to be only able to run one a night if I was lucky
3. LotRO - Never used their LFG tool or ran a dungeon

PVP
I do enjoy PVP in battlegrounds, but like I said above being "old" my reflexes aren't the best, so I take a more causal approach. I have good games and bad games in PVP, but usually I finish somewhere in the middle of the pack. I really enjoyed PVP in Rift and that was before 3 fractions which I haven't tried. I did enjoy PVP in WoW as well, but monster play in LotRO didn't really do it for me.

My Rating 
1. Rift - Enjoyed their PVP the most and it helped offset the long wait times I had for LFG. Haven't had a chance to try 3 factions.
2. WoW - I enjoyed their PVP, but not as much as Rift
3. LotRO

Summary
Rift - Love the graphics, soul system, PVP, and the feel of their combat. I enjoyed the many different zones and adding two new continents in the expansion will only add to that. Only two starting zones and two very small capital cities was a downside when it came to alts. They seem to have a lot of things to do after you are level cap. I really like things like the Chronicles for a non-raider. The frequent updates are great also.

WoW - Loved the amount of content having started during WotLK. I loved how they had so many different feeling zones (though some I hated and others I hated what Cataclysm did to them), capital cities, and starting areas. Enjoy the story and lore. Also enjoy the PVP and Dungeons as well. Really was into the the economy and auction house and they have great add-ons for that. Big plus is the larger selection of races and classes for playing alts. Content updates though were slow, so once I go to level cap not being a raider seemed to slow things down for me with mostly auction house, PVP, and alts left for me.

LotRO - Loved the story and most of the questing in there with things like the epic quests. Really enjoyed many of the zones and having multiple starting areas and cities. The economy and auction house were also very good. The community is great and I enjoyed things like their music and housing system.

I guess at this point I am looking for free therapy from fellow gamers willing to help me pick the right place to make my permanent home.

Thanks!
Zed

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Permanent home? Are we talking about games here?

You look like you enjoy hopping games anyway. Just try new ones and stay a little while if it is fun.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I have hopped around a lot the last 1.5-2 years, but I also don't like the feeling that I am only visting when I play a game. It keeps me from connecting to the game and with other players which I think is important in an MMO. That is why I am trying to pick one to stay in for a long term commitment.
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by Mackeh
    [mod edit]

Not sure if it is pathetic, but kind of strange request for a 1st post to the site.  I would say explore the site some more, see what people are saying about the games that interest you, and then make a decision on your own.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

Originally posted by alexanys1982
    Zed, you are a sandbox player. What you seek is purpose at endgame, this cant happen in the themeparks you frequent. I didnt realize I was also a sandbox player until maybe 3 or 4 years ago, after I quit WoW and found everywhere i went had the same boring modeling around in stormwind waiting for queues to pop endgame...check out The Repopulation, EvE online or Archage.

I tried Eve online and it wasn't for me. I also tried Fallen Earth which seemed like a mix of theme park and sandbox and liked it, but I am not sure I would want to make it my permenant home. 

Yeah we will decide for you as we know what you like best...

Pathetic.

What game do you play? Maybe I should avoid that one if it is on my list.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by Zeddakis

Pathetic.

I wouldn't bother responding to posts like this Zed.  Just an unhappy/fearful person there.

But as to the topic, have you tried EQ2?   I think it has a lot of the things you are looking for.  I'd suggest Nagafen server if you want some extra excitement and a bit of open-world PvP.

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Sounds like your looking more for a place to fit in (decent guild) than anything.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    try guildwars 2...its brand new..
    Originally posted by cmorris975

Pathetic.

I wouldn't bother responding to posts like this Zed.  Just an unhappy/fearful person there.

But as to the topic, have you tried EQ2?   I think it has a lot of the things you are looking for.  I'd suggest Nagafen server if you want some extra excitement and a bit of open-world PvP.

Haven't tried EQ2 maybe I should give it a visit now that I can at least try it out for free.

Originally posted by wolffin
    Sounds like your looking more for a place to fit in (decent guild) than anything.

Well I admit I have never found a really good fit when it comes to guilds in the past and that has hurt my experience. So this could be as much about that as the game.

Originally posted by rungard
    try guildwars 2...its brand new..

I have GW2 and I have played in in beta and this weekend. I will play it, but I don't see that being my permenant home. It is just not really what I am looking for. I think they have some great ideas and have done a good job dealing with issues that are in other MMOs. I like the art style and personal story, but there is just something that doesn't seem to click with me.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Myself without my 12+ year old clan/guild. I wouldn't game all that much. 

But when I'm with my guys, whatever game we're playing is fun and time goes by fast. My tight group of friends and I have been gaming together since the mid 90s. From Quake 2 clan battles to RTCW, SWG, WOW, EVE... you name it. We always had a blast as a group. We've been moving from game to game, hoping to find the right home for everyone. 

The truth behind all of it? 

Multiplayer and MMO games are only as good as you make them to be. We're a very tight group with some very solid teamwork. 

Find a good bunch of people and stick with them. If you're a clan hopper then ask yourself, are you the one that cannot get along with people or it was always bad luck? Not trying to insult you here btw. We've met many many guild/clan hoppers and they always left because they were not happy about X and Y. Strangely enough, in the course of 12 years, we've only lost a few very old members due to real life committement but when they can, they pop back! 

Originally posted by Ponico

Myself without my 12+ year old clan/guild. I wouldn't game all that much. 

But when I'm with my guys, whatever game we're playing is fun and time goes by fast. My tight group of friends and I have been gaming together since the mid 90s. From Quake 2 clan battles to RTCW, SWG, WOW, EVE... you name it. We always had a blast as a group. We've been moving from game to game, hoping to find the right home for everyone. 

The truth behind all of it? 

Multiplayer and MMO games are only as good as you make them to be. We're a very tight group with some very solid teamwork. 

Find a good bunch of people and stick with them. If you're a clan hopper then ask yourself, are you the one that cannot get along with people or it was always bad luck? Not trying to insult you here btw. We've met many many guild/clan hoppers and they always left because they were not happy about X and Y. Strangely enough, in the course of 12 years, we've only lost a few very old members due to real life committement but when they can, they pop back! 

I appreciate your post and I agree with you on needing to find a good fit guild wise. I don't consider myself a hopper, but I also have just not found that right group yet. I was in a smaller casual guild in WoW and the only problem I had was the leaders would schedule things and then no one not even the leaders would show up. I am casual, but if I plan my night around an event I would like to see people commit to being there also when they sign up. This happpened many many times. Then I switched servers and joined a very large guild which I had no issue with, but I realized from that I prefer a smaller guild where almost everyone knows everyone. 

Then I moved to Rift and the guild I was in feel apart within a few months. The issue there was the person who formed the guild decided he did not want to be the leader after a few weeks and handed it off to one of his friends. The friend without warning decided to quit and return to WoW. The orginal founder also just left the game without a goodbye. At this point we merged with another guild and in that they made someone from the other guild leader though we keep our guild name. That person knew hardly any of the old members and I remember his first week him going in and demoting a bunch of people who had been in the guild since beta with him pretty much just saying he did not know who they were. A bunch of members then up and quit. I knew they were not going to last and made the decision to leave the game versus look to move to another guild.

So whatever game I join I want a good community, so that would mean finding a guild before I pick a server. Instead of the other way around.

Originally posted by cmorris975

Pathetic.

I have looked into EQ2 more and I have to say they have many things that appeal to me.

- Lots of races and classes with multiple starting zones

- Dungeon Finder

- Dungeon Maker

- Housing System

- Mercenaries

- Sounds like a good crafting system also

I have never played EQ, but maybe it would be a good fit. Though I don't think I would enjoy a PVP server. 

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

LOTRO has been my most tolerable mmo long-term...nobody running around with 7 foot fire swords of destruction, no sparkly rainbow phoenix mounts which spews fire everywhere, and a great community to boot...rellying on along term game, you really want to be where the communities shine, and LOTRO is it.

And you can slowly collect the entire game with turbine points overtime...only quest packs I'm missing right now is Enedwaith, and Trollshaws. 

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Destined for dissapointment.

No game should be played with the intent of it being a permanant home.

Your progress is saved. If you like 3 games then rotate which you are subbed to as your mood fits you.

There is no shame in playing a game for a while then taking a few months or 6 months or even a few years off to play other games...you can always go back and pick up where you left off.

Go into the game expecting to have fun.  First sign of feeling lethargic to log in hop into another one for a bit.  

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Lotr dungeon finder is not great if you find a group at all. If that is a major point for you beware.
    Originally posted by redman875

Destined for dissapointment.

No game should be played with the intent of it being a permanant home.

Your progress is saved. If you like 3 games then rotate which you are subbed to as your mood fits you.

There is no shame in playing a game for a while then taking a few months or 6 months or even a few years off to play other games...you can always go back and pick up where you left off.

Go into the game expecting to have fun.  First sign of feeling lethargic to log in hop into another one for a bit.  

Your right "permanant" is most likely not a good word to you here. More like a good game to devote most of my time to for the next year plus. I have been rotating games for the last year or so. I would knock out a zone in AoC and then go to LotRO and do a festival for a few weeks, then sub to Tera or Rift and play for a month. The problem is I never felt connected to any game with this approach.  I felt like I was just visiting and their was no need to connect with a guild or the community, becasue I would be gone in about 14-30 days.

Doesn't have to be one of the games I listed. I do think I need a game that has sandbox and themepark elements. 

- A good player economy and crafting system

- Lots of content to explorer with a world that feels very open not instanced or walled in

- Dungeon FInder type system a plus, if the game has a focus on instanced dungeon type content

- Housing system a plus

- Multiple things to do at end game besides raiding

- PVE servers, but with battlegrounds or PVP zones

Originally posted by Ausare
    Lotr dungeon finder is not great if you find a group at all. If that is a major point for you beware.

That is what I have heard. I have never run a dungeon of any size in LotRO and never felt the urge to for some reason. I only do questing and skirmishes. Maybe it just doesn't seem to be a driving factor in that game like others. Which to me is nice.