Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm confused, does GW2 have "dungeons"?

EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

I'm considering to buy GW2, but for me it is crucial that the game has instanced group PvE challenging content. That means dungeons for 5-6 man parties (not necessarely raids) that I can do with like-minded people.

No, I don't mean open world mass-zergfests where everyone chimes in to randomly throw a fireball at a huge dragon and everyone keeps corpserunning back to the place, I don't like those at all. I mean exactly what I said above. Does Guild Wars 2 have that kind of content?

PS: Also, anyone knows a good info/fan site for GW2? Google only leads me to the wiki, which is quite lacking.

Comments

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Yes it does, look up on the wiki when it's back and working.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Yes, it does. With various routes through each dungeon.. a different route is a different version of the dungeon instance.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    there's no auto grouping LFG type interface is there?  I can't find it if so.  How do you know where to find the dungeons at, no one talks about them.  Are there any around level 10?
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    The dungeons kick in later on in the game. Early on it is story quest, exploring, crafting, PVP, and PvE public quests. There isn't any end-game raiding.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    First one is level 30. I think they appear as a door icon on the world map or there are NPCs outside them with a door icon over their head, or both.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    well that's kind of sad.  Maybe I should be level 30 by now and am just slow, but I was hoping this was going to be more a group based game than a solo fest.
  • EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

Anyone has / knows a site with a list of dungeons, around which level they're accessible and in which areas?

I seem to be unable to find anything on GW2wiki (besides the fast it seems to be down all the time >_<)

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

Anyone has / knows a site with a list of dungeons, around which level they're accessible and in which areas?

I seem to be unable to find anything on GW2wiki (besides the fast it seems to be down all the time >_<)

lv.35 dungeon: Ascalonian Catacombs
    "The Ascalonian Catacombs are located on the Planes of Ashford. That cursed place is home to angry spirits of Ascalonians who were transformed by the Foefire."
    lv.45 dungeon: Caudecus's Estate
    It's a Krytan mansion located in Beetletun, home of the powerful and wise Minister Caudecus. I've never been there but I've heard it's a great sight. 
    lv.55 dungeon: Twilight Arbor
    "Twilight Arbor is a cavern in Caledon Forest and home to the Nightmare Court. It reflects their twisted and sadistic view of the world. If you head there, be careful!"
    lv.65 dungeon: Sorrows Embrace
    "It's more of a fortification than a series of caves in Dredgehaunt Cliffs. The place is thick of Dredge, of course, and the Inquest are in there doing who knows what." 
    lv.75 dungeon: Citadel of Flame
    "The Flame Legion's main base, tucked away in the northeast of Fireheart Rise. It's full of crazed Charr, and they're lead by one who thinks he can become a god." 

lv.80 dungeon: Crucible of Eternity
    "The Crucible of Eternity is the Inquest's most powerful lab, located near Mount Maelstrom. It's host to nefarious researchers conducting myriad dangerous experiments." 
    lv.80 dungeon: Honor of the Waves

"The Honor of the Waves is a Kodan Sanctuary, a massive floating city of ice in Frostgorge Sound. I heard it's actually sinking, but I hear so many stories these days."
    lv.80 dungeon: Arah
    "It was the first city built in Tyria, but it's majesty was twisted and corrupted when Zhaitan awoke. It's now a dangerous place, it's history lost to foul beasts and the undead.

Found this, hope it helps...

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

I'm considering to buy GW2, but for me it is crucial that the game has instanced group PvE challenging content. That means dungeons for 5-6 man parties (not necessarely raids) that I can do with like-minded people.

Why does it have to be instanced? The best dungeons are noninstanced.

It sounds like you want Diablo.

• jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Damzilla

lv.35 dungeon: Ascalonian Catacombs
    "The Ascalonian Catacombs are located on the Planes of Ashford. That cursed place is home to angry spirits of Ascalonians who were transformed by the Foefire."
    lv.45 dungeon: Caudecus's Estate
    It's a Krytan mansion located in Beetletun, home of the powerful and wise Minister Caudecus. I've never been there but I've heard it's a great sight. 
    lv.55 dungeon: Twilight Arbor
    "Twilight Arbor is a cavern in Caledon Forest and home to the Nightmare Court. It reflects their twisted and sadistic view of the world. If you head there, be careful!"
    lv.65 dungeon: Sorrows Embrace
    "It's more of a fortification than a series of caves in Dredgehaunt Cliffs. The place is thick of Dredge, of course, and the Inquest are in there doing who knows what." 
    lv.75 dungeon: Citadel of Flame
    "The Flame Legion's main base, tucked away in the northeast of Fireheart Rise. It's full of crazed Charr, and they're lead by one who thinks he can become a god." 

lv.80 dungeon: Crucible of Eternity
    "The Crucible of Eternity is the Inquest's most powerful lab, located near Mount Maelstrom. It's host to nefarious researchers conducting myriad dangerous experiments." 
    lv.80 dungeon: Honor of the Waves

"The Honor of the Waves is a Kodan Sanctuary, a massive floating city of ice in Frostgorge Sound. I heard it's actually sinking, but I hear so many stories these days."
    lv.80 dungeon: Arah
    "It was the first city built in Tyria, but it's majesty was twisted and corrupted when Zhaitan awoke. It's now a dangerous place, it's history lost to foul beasts and the undead.

Found this, hope it helps...

story mode actually beginns at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 for the dungeons listed above

if you want other group content, you could do story quest with up to 4 more people and they can do their own storyquest later on themself or take the progress of  yours.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

No, I don't mean open world mass-zergfests where everyone chimes in to randomly throw a fireball at a huge dragon and everyone keeps corpserunning back to the place, I don't like those at all. I mean exactly what I said above. Does Guild Wars 2 have that kind of content?

PS: Also, anyone knows a good info/fan site for GW2? Google only leads me to the wiki, which is quite lacking.

Have you never used Google or any other search engine before? What did you type in?

Type in "GW2 Dungeons" and everything is answered for you.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by adam_nox
    well that's kind of sad.  Maybe I should be level 30 by now and am just slow, but I was hoping this was going to be more a group based game than a solo fest.

In before dynamic events are group events arguments.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Yes, there are 5 man instanced dungeons. It starts at level 30 and then it's 1 every 10 levels, with the last 3 being endgame dungeons, if i remember correctly, so 8 dungeons in total.

The dungeons are similar to other mmorpgs, but, after you complete them on normal mode, called story mode because it focuses on part which included Divnity's Edge, you can choose to enter 3 other "paths" which is basically 3 different dungeons in hard mode that the group chooses which too take, called explorable mode.

There's no LFG or dungeon finder tool that i know, but please correct me if i'm wrong about this since i'm not playing at this moment.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

I'm not sure I agree abou the best dungeons being noninstanced.  I've seen good and bad with both.  The problem with noninstanced dungeons is usually the competition for the dungeon objectives.  Can be a pain if there are a lot of ppl playing it. 

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by Nitth

I don't mind dynamic events, but yeah they obviously aren't the same kind of experience.  Way too short, very little real cooperation needed at low levels.  It would be much better if it would show a scoreboard at the end like in WAR so I could see where I ranked in dps, or healing, or tanking, or completing objective of the event.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I don't mind dynamic events, but yeah they obviously aren't the same kind of experience.  Way too short, very little real cooperation needed at low levels.  It would be much better if it would show a scoreboard at the end like in WAR so I could see where I ranked in dps, or healing, or tanking, or completing objective of the event.

Why would you expect them to force tons of cooperation so early in the experience? At low levels, it should be about learning the skills and going crazy, with some revives here and there, maybe some healing and tanking if needed, then get into the more strategic part of things later on. If it doesn't happen later on, though, I can see it growing stale a tad quickly.

Also, they're doing everything they can to make players only work together and not compete in PvE, so I doubt they'll ever add a system like WAR where it shows contribution so the players that are doing crappy don't feel sad. 

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

I don't remind asking what you think is best. I stated what is best for me for reasons that don't concern anyone but myself, and asked if it exists in GW2.

Thanks to those that answered the question, it helped a lot. I think I'm going to buy the game and give it a try.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Yeah this was one of the things that dispointed me. Someday there will be a great MMO where it has ample outdoor community goals and private team dungeons. Turbine I stil feel simply needs to marry DDO and LOTRO together. I hope when the dungeons in GW2 kick in they are challenging and become somewhat plentiful. I do hope future expansions focus on more team dungeons.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

"Thanks to those that answered the question, it helped a lot. I think I'm going to buy the game and give it a try."

WHO ISNT!?

Everyone and there mother is playing this game right now!!!.........in fact shes on her laptop playing right now next to me!

MA !! GO GIT ME SOME MEATLOAF! MEATLOAF!!!

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

The problem with public questing/dynamic events is there isn't much to them. Just go to x and kill mobs y with as many as can fit into the instance. It's alright at first, but it gets a bit dull after a while.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I'm not sure I agree abou the best dungeons being noninstanced.  I've seen good and bad with both.  The problem with noninstanced dungeons is usually the competition for the dungeon objectives.  Can be a pain if there are a lot of ppl playing it. 

And trains. Remember those?

I did non-instanced dungeons for years, never really understood why people found them better than an instance.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

You know you just made PQs seem somewhat superior to the all mighty DE.... Even though they are busy playing GW2 you might want to watch what you say. They still bite.

Anyways You get a gold, silver, or bronze rating at least though its pretty much always gold.... unles you show up as the event is 3/4 finished.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

+1

I miss the days of non-instanced dungeons...

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Sounds like they want variety. When a game is a MMO everything has to be done by a mob? The world we live in is a MMO, we don't all get together and do things now do we? A nice mixture to me always made sense. An open world to get to instances, with stories and quests on the way, always made sense to me.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

At level 30 or so, I believe you actually get a mail pointing you out to the first dungeon.  If you're not aware of dungeons, it's mostly because you're not high enoug hlevel to do them yet.  Though I did find the level 50 dungeon yesterday.  That was pretty cool. :)  They are out and about in the world.

Also, some of the harder jumping puzzles basically work like non-instanced dungeons.