Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not having a trade function was a bad idea

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

It was tolerable in the betas because the mail system was never down or slow, but now... You don't get them items right away, you can't mail again until the last mail has been "Processed" and sometimes the mailing system is unavailable. I assume from everyone trying to mail their friends/party members crap.

Should have left trading in as well as mail. Really, in all the games with mail systems in them, I've hardly ever used it. It's an annoyance to mail the person right next to you.

Comments

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    yep, once the mails fixed though it'll be cool
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    its all the same to me, a ui to stick something in to click okay on. this one just requires someones name and a subject. meh
  • turkishmafiaturkishmafia Member UncommonPosts: 57

I don't frequently post on these forums and I am impartial to GW2, but I really have to ask this...

What the heck is wrong with these "modern" MMO's leaving out the most basic, established functions? You don't have a trade window? I mean, WHAT?? This is becoming ridiculous...

Again, I reiterate, this might be a great game, I have no idea, but this just sticks out to me and begs the question what else is missing foundationally, such as that level of immersion/spirit that I would feel in old-school MMO's like UO and even non-MMO games. This one important aspect is exactly why I have quit this genre and turned my attention to FPS.

Yet, my hope that it may one day return still lingers...

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    its all the same to me, a ui to stick something in to click okay on. this one just requires someones name and a subject. meh

It actually doesn't require a subject, but it's annoying having to type in the name if you can't right click their portrait. Or the opposite, which is you have to open your inventory screen if you send via portrait. Also watch out, because if you're targetting someone and sending a mail, the name is filled in for the person you're targeting.

Really, did anyone honestly ever use the mail function in games that had it? I always used trade 100x more than mail.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That's a pity because gw2 has captured that old school spirit, and the last mmorg captured that was early vanilla wow and this is better.

Example I just spent 3 hours simply wandering with a guildy and we were having great time hunting events and exploring. Special mention to the underwater zoned, got to be played to understand how good it is. Tip don't use naps and waypoints.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I would agree if I haven't also seen player to player trading go down or be too laggy to use in other MMOs as well.  It's just another one of many potential frustrations when a game's systems aren't functioning properly.  
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Of course fanboy's will say this will stop gold farmers, but let's be honest - it screws over all the legitimate players at the same time.  It's a frustrating lack of a feature, that is especially noticable when their mail doesn't even work!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    That's a pity because gw2 has captured that old school spirit, and the last mmorg captured that was early vanilla wow and this is better.

Example I just spent 3 hours simply wandering with a guildy and we were having great time hunting events and exploring. Special mention to the underwater zoned, got to be played to understand how good it is. Tip don't use naps and waypoints.

GW2 has in no way, shape, or form captured the "old school" spirit.  If anything, it is a further dumbing-down of the MMORPG, as it amalgamates every easy mode feature from the last 10 years.  Mail from anywhere, teleporting fast travel in abundance, no death penalty to speak of, "everybody's a winner" mechanics, etc.

It's the least old school, casual friendly game in existence.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Really, did anyone honestly ever use the mail function in games that had it? I always used trade 100x more than mail.

And here I was, thinking the opposite.  Even in 'old school' games, the trade window was something to be actively avoided.

I guess it's really a matter of whether you consider tracking down a 'player merchant' easier than tracking down a mailbox.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    If the mail system speeds up I have no problem with it... I do, however, have an issue with no Cash on Delivery Option... What the hell is up with that?

Player A: I'll trade you this great longsword for your great pistol!

Player B: OK!  Mail me the longsword and I'll mail you the pistol!

Player A: Longsword sent!

Player B: Thanks, sucker!  *keeps both items*

Yeah, having the option to have a trade window is such a terrible idea, thanks Anet.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Yeah, having the option to have a trade window is such a terrible idea, thanks Anet.

Now repeat the same scenario when players A and B are more than three steps apart, on opposite ends of the continent, in different zones entirely.

How often does trade take place in /say range?

Hmm, depends if you want to stack 3000 characters in one bank, or not, I guess.  Thought Lagforge taught people not to do that.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Now repeat the same scenario when players A and B are more than three steps apart, on opposite ends of the continent, in different zones entirely.

OK.  Now how would they have run into each other without map chat?

There you go.  See, there would be proximity.  Also, had they known each other and been PMing let's say, guess what!  There's waypoints!

I find it hard to believe people are saying the OPTION to trade is a bad idea.

"Oh it was bad in other games, and doesn't work from across the entire world, let's not include it so nobody can trade with anyone!"

Sounds like great reasoning, or something.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

How often does trade take place in /say range?

This is supposed to be a role-playing game, right?  How silly it is not to be able to have one character hand an item to another character standing right next to them, or to engage in personal trade/barter with each other?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

I find it hard to believe you really think I said that. 

Man of straw, oh man of staw, so easily am I offended by thou, because you say, what I want you to.

I find it hard to believe you really think I said that. 

Man of straw, oh man of staw, so easily am I offended by thou, because you say, what I want you to.

Notice how in the post you quoted of me, I didn't refer to you, or quote your post.

hth

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Does the mail system take a mailbox? I don't understand... why wouldn't they just have trade?

Notice how in the post you quoted of me, I didn't refer to you, or quote your post.

hth

You proposed face-to-face item-for-item trades are 100x more common than any other type.

We all know better, yes?

Sorry, retracted, that was in fact someone else.

hth

You proposed face-to-face item-for-item trades are 100x more common than any other type.

We all know better, yes?

I didn't say any such number, I believe you confused me with another poster in this thread.

Originally posted by Betakodo

And here I was, thinking the opposite.  Even in 'old school' games, the trade window was something to be actively avoided.

I guess it's really a matter of whether you consider tracking down a 'player merchant' easier than tracking down a mailbox.

Even that active avoidance caused for thriving communities to be established based on trust. You wouldn't just trade with anyone. If you are purchasing something online on Ebay/Amazon/etc don't you look at ratings or heatware? This simple addition can significantly add to immersion.

It's the same principle.

hth

We all know better, yes?

I didn't say any such number, I believe you confused me with another poster in this thread.

Already noted and apologised for.

Originally posted by turkishmafia

Even that active avoidance caused for thriving communities to be established based on trust. You wouldn't just trade with anyone. If you are purchasing something online on Ebay/Amazon/etc don't you look at ratings or heatware? This simple addition can significantly add to immersion.

It's the same principle.

Yup, go nuts, we just can't live without Trade, obviously.

I noticed quite a bit of confusion in map chat throughout the first day about the lack of trade.  It seems to have left a lot of people scratching their heads so to speak.  Did Arenanet ever mention this as by design and their reasoning behind it?  I'd be interestetd to read through such a blog or post about it if they did.

Personally I haven't "traded" with anyone through mail yet because of the possibility of not recieving my items in return.  It's just too easy to get away with.  I have mailed items to people sitting within high-fiving distance from me, and sometimes those took considerably longer than expected to arrive.  For these reasons I would like an option to trade with characters in proximity, while keeping the mail and improving it's responsiveness.

Originally posted by turkishmafia

It's the same principle.

Yup, go nuts, we just can't live without Trade, obviously.

It's not this very specific example that's the problem, but rather the principle of cutting out classic, established functions such as this. It begs the question, what other decisions are the developers making that detract from the RPG element within MMORPGs? I believe that this is the mindset that has caused the genre to develop into it's current state. If this is something you are okay with, then that's perfectly all right, that's your opinion.

What I have been stating in this thread is also just an opinion, but I believe it is one that many can relate to.