Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Honest Review from an Honest Guy

Pre-purchased the game a few days ago and got to play in stress test for just a bit before head start.  Now I've played head start and gotten to level 17.  Putting aside the bugs, which in my opinion, for a launch/prelaunch whatever you wanna call it, it has a low amount, low enough that I'll randomly come across one, like a few certain DE's I've come across that aren't working, but either way they seem like very easy fixes and since there is SO much content I can just skip past them for now anyways.(Sorry if that sentenced didn't make much sense haha)  

Anyhow, very satisfied with this game so far.  First off the world just looks awesome, and considering my labtop isn't a gaming labtop and i can run most settings on high and still maintain good fps amazes me.  I can't lie I have been waiting for this game for like four years.  However, over the past year or so I began doubting it, due to alot of other mmo's recently coming up claiming to change the industry but falling short in my opinion.  Not to bash any in particular but SWTOR and Rift, they aren't horrible games by any means, just not, well for me, what this game seems to be.

Guild Wars 2 is what I have been waiting for.  I didn't really know exactly what that was, just that I didn't want the same old npc's just standing around.  Anet promised a living "breathing" world, which I think they came through on that promise.  NPC's running around, talking to eachother, this and that, in order to make the world seem more "alive."

The combat...it's pretty fun.  It's not necessarily innovative, but honestly theres not much more you can do with a keyboard, unless yall have some ideas.  Putting that aside.  Combat:  Dodging, Healing, and Damaging.  That's how it works.  I hear people on here complaining about no communication during fights.  YOU wanna know why?  Because we're freaking dodging around, casting friendly heals, taking turns tanking(naturally everyone does for the most part), and having fun.  Personally I think its awesome that everything just kinda flows.  Ofcourse there are going to be times when communicating and having strategies is extremely important...but come on, early in the game people just want to play lol.  We're getting new gear every five minutes who cares.  Save the fun strategizing for when the reward is better/harder to come by i.e:(loot/achievement/whatever), then it'll make that whole dungeoning experience great.

Music...ehh i mean, it's good but since I made a sylvari I feel like I've heard the sylvari theme five hundred times already.  They definitely need to change the music up.  Not saying that it's bad, I just feel like I haven't heard much other than my races theme, maybe it's cause I'm in there land, but idk cause I went to Lion's Arch, Divinity's Reach, and the Charr's home city(can't remember name) and the music was still sylvari theme lol, felt kinda weird...wanted to hear the badass charr theme when i went there but didn't ;(.

Haven't pvp'ed other than in stress test, which it was very very fun there.  I'm not gonna do much on pvp other than to say I love it but reallllly realllllllly hope they put in some kind of ranking thing or something, like national points or something so the competetive people can see themselves high on scoreboards.  Also WHERE THE FRUIT is the Guild vs. Guild???  I know theres no guild halls yet but they better bring that in.  That stuff was my shizz.  And now I've written more on pvp than I intended, oh well.  

MY FINAL SCORE:  Yeah not gonna give it a final score because I won't know for a while.  What I am going to give it is a I'M ADDICTED TO AN MMO AGAIN FINALLY GEEZ THAT TOOK FOREVER score...because I (Personally me not any of you) finallllly have the mmo I wanted.  Fun right now/will probably dull down/but is still doable PVE, INSANE pvp that I can't wait to get to 80 to do, cause yeah I wanna be one of the first 5% to 80 and kick some apples outta some younglings/undergeared'ers in WvWvW.  But yes so after being disappointed for years with mmo releases I think GW2 has my vote.  PLUS NO SUBSCRIPTION

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, there is so much content it is ridiculous, every place flows together realisitcally, huge underground rat city here, swamp there, forest there, city built into a stone cliff there.  Yeah.  SO much content.  You can tell anet seriously put crazy endless hours into making this game.  OH and i came up with my theory...NCSOFT/ARENANET both came up with a bunch of previous titles, some good, some bad, some fair, either way...they collected funds from all those in order to put years into making GW2, which is exactly what an MMO needs to be great.  Years of development with tons of $$$ and the right developers.  :) I am no guild wars fan boy, but i am converting.

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think anyone who writes a review now isn't giving the full picture. I'd suggest if you are already at lvl 17 in the game after 1 day of play then you may very well run out of things to do withing a few months. If you just move through the instanced zones systematically you level up very easily and hit most of the the content I have found. The storys are a bit generic also. The bugs hurt the game as does the instancing.I am enjoying playing GW2, but it isn't a perfect game and I can only see casual fun for myself in it.
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think anyone who writes a review now isn't giving the full picture. I'd suggest if you are already at lvl 17 in the game after 1 day of play then you may very well run out of things to do withing a few months. If you just move through the instanced zones systematically you level up very easily and hit most of the the content I have found. The storys are a bit generic also. The bugs hurt the game as does the instancing.I am enjoying playing GW2, but it isn't a perfect game and I can only see casual fun for myself in it.

I would agrre lvl 17 is too early.  I have completed 8% so far at level 15.  in a months time I can see the same posts that you get with other mmo's - no endgame, lack of content.  GW2 really is a PvP game with PvE options to leveling.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by bluefunk

I would agrre lvl 17 is too early.  I have completed 8% so far at level 15.  in a months time I can see the same posts that you get with other mmo's - no endgame, lack of content.  GW2 really is a PvP game with PvE options to leveling.

He is saying he has fun. deal with it.

Originally posted by rosco
    Originally posted by bluefunk

He is saying he has fun. deal with it.

Why can't some people bear anything but LOVE for guildwars 2?  It's not perfect, however it is great and I'm playing it.  You deal with that.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    You can't review an MMO before you spend at least 1-2 weeks at max level. Try again later.
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    you may very well run out of things to do withing a few months.

This depends entirely on your endgame preferences. You can never "run out" of PvP unless (in a particular gamr) it's crap and nobody cares about it. So far this looks like an unlikely scenario for GW2.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    You can't review an MMO before you spend at least 1-2 weeks at max level. Try again later.

GW2 isn't a typical game-starts-at-max-level MMO treadmill. There are no raids and no gear progression endgame. Whenever you do PvP your toon is upscaled to 80 if needed. Whenever you do PvE your toon is downscaled to the level of surrounding content.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

And yet every single review site, including this one, reviews games long before they reach max level.

Fail.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Mike O'Brien is that you?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Wait for a week and you will see 'i hit max level, i am bored because there is nothing to do. This game is fail' topics.

Bite Me

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Wait for a week and you will see 'i hit max level, i am bored because there is nothing to do. This game is fail' topics.

If you plan on playing one class one race and burning through pve only maybe. I do find you'r post amusing since you'r sporting the tsw templars logo for an avatar. I can see someone not liking the game but saying there will be nothing left to do in a weeks time is kind of crazy by any stretch imo....

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

You will see it only if GW2 doesn't have a good endgame. Let's hope it does.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Honestly this is the type review MMORPG would publish, I mean what else are they going to do?

Terrible review, but I'm glad you beat MMORPG to it! So now, they just have to wait and do their own review and not be called out for being premature on it.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

It's good you're having fun OP, but you, and honestly everyone, really should a wait a month and defenatly play the majority of the content, reach endgame, etc before making these "reviews" and impressions.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the game at all, but, yeah, that's my opinion.

BTW, they already they're planning to introduce guild halls and GVG after launch.

And on you comment on lack of communication, i think the problem others, like myself find is not during the actuall events, because, as you're right in saying, players are too busy fighting and dodging.

The problem i found, at least in beta (so, don't know how it's going on now) was that even after the events end, everybody just kept going in their own way to other place, without stopping to chat or communicate. BUt, that's other topic.

Have fun in-game OP image

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by DaezAster

If you plan on playing one class one race and burning through pve only maybe. I do find you'r post amusing since you'r sporting the tsw templars logo for an avatar. I can see someone not liking the game but saying there will be nothing left to do in a weeks time is kind of crazy by any stretch imo....

My interpretation of his post was that he meant that nowadays there are a lot of idiots playing MMOs, people who rush to the "end" in 8-10 hours a day sessions, without exploring or 'living' in the virtual world an MMO is supposed to be and then going to whine on forums that there isn't enough to do...

Ah and GW2 has little endgame outside WvWvW, in this game "endgame" starts at level 1

Originally posted by DaezAster

Same for any mmo.  Some ppl will start hammering at no endgame etc in a week or two.  Mental gamers!

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

It's good you're having fun OP, but you, and honestly everyone, really should a wait a month and defenatly play the majority of the content, reach endgame, etc before making these "reviews" and impressions.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the game at all, but, yeah, that's my opinion.

BTW, they already they're planning to introduce guild halls and GVG after launch.

And on you comment on lack of communication, i think the problem others, like myself find is not during the actuall events, because, as you're right in saying, players are too busy fighting and dodging.

The problem i found, at least in beta (so, don't know how it's going on now) was that even after the events end, everybody just kept going in their own way to other place, without stopping to chat or communicate. BUt, that's other topic.

Have fun in-game OP image

You know, before posting your impression about communication you should first level to L80, then when you have a global view of the game we'll read your "impressions".

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

I'm playing it and reach lvl 16 with my guardian too.

graphic wise, some background, rocks, etc, lack polygons in some areas, textures on some part of the land are a bit repetitive, especially on rocky hills / or grotto's, it's light because, well, it's not really the "top" for 2012 graphics and they are pretty "light".

If you were honest, like any experienced mmo gamer here, you would have noticed the "limitations" of this game that makes it a free to play in disguise of a pay to play, because, face it, you will need your real money to "unlock" certain KEY features, like bank space slots, or inventory slots, and i see more of these key/important features coming in the near future, and just for this it is more than enough for me to state, that i'm not "okay" with the pay to play argument.

It's still a very good game, an i like it, but i see crystal clear where it's going.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Levelled up an elementalist to 10 today.

Went in with no prep work at all, no preview read or understooding how GW2 worked.

I have to say, as someone who played EVE, WoW, SWTOR, RIFT, GW2 was a bit complicated for me.

What's that purple currency?

What's the 'combo field'?

Can I 'respec' in terms of my skills later on?

What's a 'bank' and where can I find it? <--- I admit this caught me by surprized as I couldn't mail my alts anything.

None was explained to me so while I am fumbling my way through, a tutorial section would have been really nice.

Game itself is good, enjoyed the heck out of it.

I can definitely see some issues for new players (esp if they come from WoW) though. Yeah, WoW is WoW, but they have a ridiculously good tutorial that is beyond every MMO out in the market right now.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Apparently you can.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

First off, thanks for your first impressions. [mod edit], you should do another at level 40ish, then another 60ish, then an end game one:)  If you level slowly, like some of us, you'll have a far more accurate impression/review than someone who made 80 in 2 weeks, because you know what the roses smell like. We all know certian games that are 12 kinds of awesome at low levels that blow serious goat the higher you get, like Age of Conan (which they have been fixing, but stilll....)

Another, as to the "pay to win" you know you can bank your collectibles from anywhere in the world, right? They take collectible slots instead of bank slots, right? If you don't try to be all crafting professions to everyone you should never have a problem with the current space. You can put your inventory up for sale from whereever you're at on the trading post. I also carry salvage kits and break anything I can't actively use, then collectible bank the mats. My inventory has about 8 items in it (mostly extra harvesting tools).

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Someone said that in beta they needed 200h to get all the mats etc. to craft legendary weapon. So here's your "endgame" which is so needed for some of you.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Someone said that in beta they needed 200h to get all the mats etc. to craft legendary weapon. So here's your "endgame" which is so needed for some of you.

200 hour of mat collecting sounds like a really exciting endgame...........................................

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Jjix

[mod edit]

We have seen this before with a lot of MMOs. While GW2 is a great game it doesn't sport your typical endgame content and people might end up getting bored at max level.

But then again people have no idea what they want. Some say that gear grinding sucks and don't want it in the game, yet when it's missing they QQ that there is no endgame.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by QSatu

200 hour of mat collecting sounds like a really exciting endgame...........................................

If the activities you need to do to get those mats are fun I see no difference to doing raid 50 times to get a new sword.