Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My First GW2 experience

Hey, i saw a lot of negative stuff about the 'pre' launch and a lot of talk about epic failures and god knows what. So i thought i would add my side of things which has been 100% fun, enjoyable and positive. I didnt take part in any of the beta weekends but i have been following GW2 for a while and read a lot/watched a lot and it really made me want to try it.

So i bought the 3 day headstart digital edition and i tried logging in Saturday Morning but it wasnt letting me in, im in EU. But it didnt matter too much because i had to go to work, so i thought ill check it later when i get back home.

When i got back i was able to immediately  log in and experience the game that has been so hyped and i must say i was really impressed. Everything felt fresh and just the way Arenanet takes common MMO properties and puts their twist on it was great. There is just sooooo much to do i feel a bit overwhelmed but in a good way. The hours just flew by and i was having a blast, everywhere you go in the game there are different distractions and things happening, i dont think any MMO has gotten so close to a real living breathing world. It kinda gave me memories of the first time playing GTA3. I know its completely different but the immersion you feel is just amazing. I used to be a player of just leveling/grinding/going from quest hub to quest hub all the other razzle dazzle never really interested me but in gw2 I actually want to explore and get completion bonuses and just help all the different people out. I must say the combat is completely different and it is taking me time to get used to (Im a Thief) but its fun and nothing feels forced.

I hope over the next few weeks Arenanet gets everything running as they want and get the game stable, i mean i know a lot of people get pissed off cos they cant log in at the very first second their headstart begins but when you think about the millions of people all trying to log in you have to be able to understand that its very hard to get everything going 100% perfect. Whats even more annoying is people act like this has never happenned before, but isnt this pretty much what happens with every big (REAL BIG) online game launches? I mean i dont really want to even mention the ' other' guys but i remember in vanilla wow i had to que to log in, for GW2 i havent had to q once!

All in all i think people need to chill out a bit, especially as the game hasnt officially launched yet, i think the 3 day headstart was clever, it gives them a chance to sort out bugs and problems with a launch without it being the actuall official launch. I think people should judge the game on what the game is and not judge it and say its a crap game simply because they get stuck at the login screen. Its annoying yes but its expected, i mean it may be that the server technology etc just isnt up to scratch yet to cope with the large amounts of people. is that Arenanets fault? i dont think it is, i think we need to be thankful that they have delivered such a great game, i think we need to support them and i think once the ball gets rolling solidly that we can expect a lot from GW2.

Comments

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    My GW2 opinion is, it is everything good age of conan was. PvP, pve is epic and this conan fanboi is SOLD.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Being able to fix launch problems in the 3 day head start launch is really smart, kind of devious, so I hope they don't come back and say "we had a perfect launch!" because Tuesday onwards was good... that'd be slimy!

but honestly it hasn't been too bad.

Not having access to the Trading Post has been a headache, but I imagine the influx of players all useing the same reagional AH system melted a server or two lol.

I'm still laughing at people who freaked the F out yesterday...

All games have launch problems of some variety.

Thus far there has only been a 2-3 hours period I haven't been able to play that I was trying to/wanting to play.

Not bad.

7/10 thus far is how I'd rate launch.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    What is with these sleeper accounts with 1 or 2 posts and newly accounts just made today telling people to simmer down and calm down?

Bite Me

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The issues were expected for my part.  The hardest thing for me is the learning curve during the first day.  Everything was very busy, and it was a bit hard to figure things out for me.  However, since things have calmed down a bit, I'm able to figure things out without there being a ton of Chaos around me.

I self identify as a monkey.

• jjdejong0jjdejong0 Member Posts: 25
    Lol please have a look at when this account was created, mabey there wasnt anything worthwhile for me to post about or reply to, im not a fanboi that just made this account to tell people to relax my friend. Like i said, last night was the first time ive ever played GW2. But for the hell of it, just simmer down please!
  • gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203
    Almost level 20 here (not rushing at all), cleared 99% of Asura starting zone, had a blast in WvW desipte some lag, there are minor inconviencies like trading post is down and mail rarely works, but other than that loving it ^^ Now waiting for the server to come back up after latest patch :D

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    What is with these sleeper accounts with 1 or 2 posts and newly accounts just made today telling people to simmer down and calm down?

If they told people the game was rubbish, would they gain credibility to your eyes? 

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by freston
    Originally posted by Nikkita

If they told people the game was rubbish, would they gain credibility to your eyes? 

No but their post will also be removed or locked by mods.

Bite Me

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by jjdejong0

Hey, i saw a lot of negative stuff about the 'pre' launch and a lot of talk about epic failures and god knows what. So i thought i would add my side of things which has been 100% fun, enjoyable and positive. I didnt take part in any of the beta weekends but i have been following GW2 for a while and read a lot/watched a lot and it really made me want to try it.

So i bought the 3 day headstart digital edition and i tried logging in Saturday Morning but it wasnt letting me in, im in EU. But it didnt matter too much because i had to go to work, so i thought ill check it later when i get back home.

When i got back i was able to immediately  log in and experience the game that has been so hyped and i must say i was really impressed. Everything felt fresh and just the way Arenanet takes common MMO properties and puts their twist on it was great. There is just sooooo much to do i feel a bit overwhelmed but in a good way. The hours just flew by and i was having a blast, everywhere you go in the game there are different distractions and things happening, i dont think any MMO has gotten so close to a real living breathing world. It kinda gave me memories of the first time playing GTA3. I know its completely different but the immersion you feel is just amazing. I used to be a player of just leveling/grinding/going from quest hub to quest hub all the other razzle dazzle never really interested me but in gw2 I actually want to explore and get completion bonuses and just help all the different people out. I must say the combat is completely different and it is taking me time to get used to (Im a Thief) but its fun and nothing feels forced.

I hope over the next few weeks Arenanet gets everything running as they want and get the game stable, i mean i know a lot of people get pissed off cos they cant log in at the very first second their headstart begins but when you think about the millions of people all trying to log in you have to be able to understand that its very hard to get everything going 100% perfect. Whats even more annoying is people act like this has never happenned before, but isnt this pretty much what happens with every big (REAL BIG) online game launches? I mean i dont really want to even mention the ' other' guys but i remember in vanilla wow i had to que to log in, for GW2 i havent had to q once!

All in all i think people need to chill out a bit, especially as the game hasnt officially launched yet, i think the 3 day headstart was clever, it gives them a chance to sort out bugs and problems with a launch without it being the actuall official launch. I think people should judge the game on what the game is and not judge it and say its a crap game simply because they get stuck at the login screen. Its annoying yes but its expected, i mean it may be that the server technology etc just isnt up to scratch yet to cope with the large amounts of people. is that Arenanets fault? i dont think it is, i think we need to be thankful that they have delivered such a great game, i think we need to support them and i think once the ball gets rolling solidly that we can expect a lot from GW2.

Glad to see you've become a fanboi. Being a fanboi of such an amazing game is a GOOD thing, it shows you great taste. Yesterday, for me, represented the end of the WoW era. Not because GW2 is a WoW killer, but because for the first time in eight terribly long years a game was made that wasn't WoW reskinned. Thank you, thank you, thank you Arenanet for saving this genre.