Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I got Banned/Blocked for no reason. I seriously dident do anything.

Comments

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    A straight up ban for inappropriate names is an overkill imo.

Agreed.

In City of Heroes/Villains I had my char "Rorschac" and another I can't remember renamed, but straight ban because of the name is too much IMO as well.

• actinactin Member UncommonPosts: 4
    That link actually says that a first offence results in a suspension, as well as a name change. Not clear on how long, though.
  • angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

Well the story went from I did absolutely nothing and I'm a nice guy to...

I named a character poopy joe but there's a story behind it to...

who knows what really happened but it looks like in reality, there is some sort of reason...

Banned sounds scary but in effect, you are getting a time out for a short period while this is being looked into.   Thanks Anet for keeping the doucebag filter.

You know who really didn't do anything? Me.  And I'm playing.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

What kind of fourth reich regime are they running?  A dude in a thread earlier was banned for a bad joke, another for having the name "screw you".... Seriously rediculous.  No warnings, just straight up bans... and on launch day...

They seem to be ostracizing anyone they think could be offensive.

Wow, just.. wow.

Couldn't be that people are lying, nope, that NEVER happens on the internet.

• TcbysTcbys Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by angrymime

who knows what really happened but it looks like in reality, there is some sort of reason...

Banned sounds scary but in effect, you are getting a time out for a short period while this is being looked into.   Thanks Anet for keeping the doucebag filter.

The story behind poopy joe is funny. Friends of mine made a TF2 bot server one of the bots was called Poopy-Joe.

I doubt they would ban a name called Poopy-Joe.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    A straight up ban for inappropriate names is an overkill imo.

It really isn't.

(1) The guidelines are clear.

(2) Player chooses to make name, showing complete disregard for said guidelines.

If you choose to flagrantly disregard those guidelines for naming, you deserve everything you get.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    True story here for me:  I was banned from paying a monthy sub for gw2.  I even pre-purchased it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Tcbys

The story behind poopy joe is funny. Friends of mine made a TF2 bot server one of the bots was called Poopy-Joe.

It may be funny to you, but dont think that its funny to everyone. I been in games that I have gotten killed by people with such names as:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YourMom

YourDad

and many many more that I can't really type in here without violating some rule lol. People try to get around filters every chance they get and then they want to complain about it when they get caught. I am guessing that Poopy-Joe isn't sounding as funny as it used to now, is it?

See, you thought it would be funny to kill someone and have them see they were killed by Poopy-Joe. if you want to use those kind of names, then go back to FPS games. They do not belong in MMO style games, period. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to get GW2 or not and I think that these stories of people getting banned for bad names is just the reason I might have to go ahead and get it. It just might be nice to run around and not have to see idiotic names everywhere you turn. It may actually put a little bit of fantasy back into the game!

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I guess this is the downside to not having a monthly fee. Arenanet can ban people for any little offense and not really lose anything. They don't have to work for a customer's continued loyalty and sub fees. That's also why there's no endgame to speak of either. lol.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

It may be funny to you, but dont think that its funny to everyone. I been in games that I have gotten killed by people with such names as:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YourMom

YourDad

and many many more that I can't really type in here without violating some rule lol. People try to get around filters every chance they get and then they want to complain about it when they get caught. I am guessing that Poopy-Joe isn't sounding as funny as it used to now, is it?

See, you thought it would be funny to kill someone and have them see they were killed by Poopy-Joe. if you want to use those kind of names, then go back to FPS games. They do not belong in MMO style games, period. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to get GW2 or not and I think that these stories of people getting banned for bad names is just the reason I might have to go ahead and get it. It just might be nice to run around and not have to see idiotic names everywhere you turn. It may actually put a little bit of fantasy back into the game!

How does poopy-joe not belong in an MMO.

Its just Poopy-Joe. 

Whats with everyone being thined skinned now days meaning they cant take a simple joke name anymore.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm pretty sure you can not create a GW2 name with a dash in it. The 26 letters of the alphabet and no more than one space between any two characters. If I'm right, then we will know this is BS, since poopy-joe couldn't even have been created in the first place.

Even if legit, he said he logged in and found a character he hadn't created, which definitely points towards a hacked account. If it was hacked, the ban may be reversed once the OP can prove he's the account holder and Arenanet can verify that the offensive behaviour took place on a different PC from a different i.p. address.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YourMom

YourDad

How does poopy-joe not belong in an MMO.

Its just Poopy-Joe. 

Whats with everyone being thined skinned now days meaning they cant take a simple joke name anymore.

Maybe, Just maybe, Its because people are getting tired of it? Has nothing to do with being thinned skinned. It doesn't offend me when I see stupid names like that, It just takes away from the fantasy experience. I am sure every single person that creates a stupid name thinks the same way you do, whats wrong with my name? its just a joke name! Thats simply part of the problem with todays mmo players. They don't take pride in their characters or accomplishments any more, all they want is that instant recognition instead of earning it.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Fratman

I guess this is the downside to not having a monthly fee. Arenanet can ban people for any little offense and not really lose anything. They don't have to work for a customer's continued loyalty and sub fees. That's also why there's no endgame to speak of either. lol.

The most people nowadays get for their "loyalty" to most sub based MMO is the previous patch of content becoming obsolete, a new glorified instance in which to kill for random stat gear that becomes obsolete by the next patch, maybe a minigame, and 8 months to a year of waiting for the next patch while you effectively hand them upwards of $180 dollars per year for little to nothing.

Overly cynical? Yes.

Does it apply to all Sub based MMOs? No.

Still kinda makes sense? Yes.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    New age dude. You can kill someone with sword but you can't say anything ''inappropriate''. To hard for me sorry, i gave my account to some kid from my family. You must understand that one day they will sue you if you say something like --''i kill you' in mmo. Thats make me laugh--Hard Norn hero with huge axe slaying enemies all over the place said word with F and bum account banned. No more hero lol
  • ShiftytShiftyt Member Posts: 24

I think its HILARIOUS !!!!!

But they sould give a warning.  Or just change your name for you (with some punishment lol.)

EQ2  use to do that.

2 examples

Pimpman..  GM turned to Plumpboy

BigNutz..  lol  Tinyacorns.

anyway  they sould warn peeps at least once.  Because what may be offensive to one may not be to another.

Shiftyt

Originally posted by bubaluba
    New age dude. You can kill someone with sword but you can't say anything ''inappropriate''. To hard for me sorry, i gave my account to some kid from my family. You must understand that one day they will sue you if you say something like --''i kill you' in mmo. Thats make me laugh--Hard Norn hero with huge axe slaying enemies all over the place said word with F and bum account banned. No more hero lol

World of Darkness. Coming soon (sorta). Sit tight.

Originally posted by bubaluba

World of Darkness. Coming soon (sorta). Sit tight.

This is what I seen on the ToS part of GW2

Each mark results in a temporary account suspension. Suspended account holders will receive an in-game message that explains that the account has
    been rendered inaccessible and also provides a specific reason for the account mark and the duration of the temporary account suspension.

I never got any message or reason why I got banned/blocked.

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93

Do you have an agenda here sir? You go from Arenanet not having a sub fee which is true to them not caring about customers long term which is a real stretch (and false as any person who has ever worked in a capitalist system would know), to Arenanet not having an endgame in place.

Classic agenda flow of logic. 

So what is your game of choice Fratman? Why you so bitter? You don't have enough beer pong and lying to sorority girls to keep you busy?

Originally posted by dwarfus

Do you have an agenda here sir? You go from Arenanet not having a sub fee which is true to them not caring about customers long term which is a real stretch (and false as any person who has ever worked in a capitalist system would know), to Arenanet not having an endgame in place.

So what is your game of choice Fratman? Why you so bitter? You don't have enough beer pong and lying to sorority girls to keep you busy?

There is still the issue of having that chracter I dident make.

Heres the pic I took when I first seen it. 

I don't know if Arenanet cares about their customers or not. I don't care either. I was just pointing out that there's less incentive for them to worry about the long term satisfaction of their customers compared to a sub based game since they aren't trying to convince players to keep shelling out 15 bucks a month to play. Is that really a controversial statement? Seems like common sense to me.

Well, it's a real shame. 

Here's to hoping you get back in, name your characters Mr. Rogers or some derivative of that, and then this pointless self-interested thread dies a quiet and completely meaningful death.

I'm no GW2 fanboi, but the game rocks and its a shame you choose poorly (like in that Indiana Jones 3 scene). 

Well, it's a real shame. 

Here's to hoping you get back in, name your characters Mr. Rogers or some derivative of that, and then this pointless self-interested thread dies a quiet and completely meaningful death.

I'm no GW2 fanboi, but the game rocks and its a shame you choose poorly (like in that Indiana Jones 3 scene). 

I got a backup plan just incase it was a name issue. I think its something else.

I don't know if Arenanet cares about their customers or not. I don't care either. I was just pointing out that there's less incentive for them to worry about the long term satisfaction of their customers compared to a sub based game since they aren't trying to convince players to keep shelling out 15 bucks a month to play. Is that really a controversial statement? Seems like common sense to me.

You have obviously never ran any business in this country. To be very honest I have. Several - a small town construction company, a national credit card company marketing and distribution business, and an international Internet retail business.

You always care about your customers long term. I don't care if Arenanet cares about their customers long term either but I can say that I'm 100% positive they do just as much as any other well run company.

Regardless of business model.

You might invest your "research" or "re-investment" funds different according to your business model, but you always keep your company customer happy. Or there is no customer....end of story.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140

What kind of fourth reich regime are they running?  A dude in a thread earlier was banned for a bad joke, another for having the name "screw you".... Seriously rediculous.  No warnings, just straight up bans... and on launch day...

Wow, just.. wow.

Fits well to their "no public forum" policy and all the guerilla marketing that happened to create hype.

NcSoft Korean Conspiracy

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Wow, just.. wow.

As they should

Read and abide by the ToS or go play another game. It should always be perma ban for any infractions.