Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The #1 turnoff (that cant be ignored) with Rift for me and my friends

2»

Comments

• ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Izik
    Originally posted by Arkanik

I wont sugar coat it if you dont flame it when you just admited YOU used it but now you hate it?

Doesnt make sense friend You hate what you used and did? Now its the games fault?

You stated yourself i wish it made you react , really? because if you wanted it to react why did YOU use macros? were you always hungry?  or did you feel that you couldnt tank without them?

Just being honest here. Did you go online and look up a guide for your tank spec copy and paste the macros into the game so you could have an easy way out of doing all the things your defending? Sounds like it and now your bored with rift or playing a new game and come over to rift forums to flame a topic that you did yourself.. I dont get it..

Eaither way i hope the best to all of you and hope you found a game you enjoy.

Back to rift for me. Good luck.

Time for a lesson in game theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_dominance

Ok so you read that before you decided to use macros good for ya bro. The only lesson here is that if your going to complain about something make sure your the one who didnt do what your complaining about!  read your own statement.. Ramble all night man you used what your trying to complain about. You make no sense im done feeding the TROLL..gnight.

• ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by remyburke

I'd have to agree. Being able to macro 15 of my skills into 4 buttons was a little weaksauce. Games shouldn't allow macroing, but instead, design a combat system that doesn't require it.

Just saying "don't use it," really doesn't make a lot of sense. If the tools are there, and you aren't using it to your advantage and others are, then you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Scroll back up and read man , there is no advantage except a less cluttered hotbar lol.

It never ends !

Im leaving mmorpg.com

I cant talk with people who have no common sense..

It frustrates me , peace ..

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    meh...even if they didn't allow in game amcros people would just use their gaming mice and keyboards to make macros to play for them so you'd still be at a disadvantage.I'm not that fond of macros myself but said devices make not having them in game pointless.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Professor78
    Simple answer, don't use them......

You would be at a massive disadvantage if you didn't use them.

Good luck keeping up that dps like Macro users do, good luck competing in pvp without macro spam...

I guess if you do nothing but play solo all day you could go without but Rift is a MMO and if you play with or against people its a competitive experience.

Lol, I haven t used a macro once in Rift, and I compete without a prob. Actually, I m almost always lead in DPS on my Ranger, in pve and pvp. Macro users are basically people that need something to play for them. It doesn t make up for the fact they actually suck using macros, someone supposedly says is the best.

It really doesn t help you at all, unless you want the game to basically play for you.

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Originally posted by tristanryan

Lots of news about Rift lately. From new fun stuff coming, to long awaited new pvp philosophy, even very nice looking player housing.

However, the reason everyone i know quit and when my friends and i discuss this game today we all have a common feeling of why this game just doesnt "hook" us?

Macros.

Hundreds of unique abilities that could very well make for a fun and diversified experience in PvP and PvE so hardcore players could actually show skill above others and its all just tarnished because of how you can literally combine so many skills into one key in this game. Its just... kinda pathetic.

Wish they would change that before anything else. (just my humble opinion)

I'm sorry but this is a total load of crap and you know it.  If macros were such a turn off all you had to do is ignore them and not use them.  Plenty of guys in my guild make the same claim and specifically play without macros so they can feel all l33t.

Trying to say the existence of macros is the reason for you not liking the game is like telling your girlfriend that the mole on the inside of her thigh is the reason you are no longer attracted to her.  Its a copout excuse.

I 100% guarantee you if Trion made a patch tommorow morning saying all macros have been disables, you wouldn't log on and play it for more than 2 or 3 days at best.

But....what if it was a mole the size of a silver dollar? With hair growing from it?

;)

But yeah, seriously, girping about macros is ridiculous. Ignore them, or embrace them....but I've played enough Rifts to say that if you think macros are the reason you're doing poorly, time to go look into a mirror to see the source of your problem.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    People will just stick that all that in macro programs that came with their mouse and keyboard anyways so it really seems like a moot point to me. People don't seem to like pressing 15 buttons to launch what effectively comes down to 4 different things. I think it's a genre design thing more than anything and the real blame for this sort of design is wow. Too bad Trion didn't come up with a way to improve it.
  • ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Oh noes your ability at clicking buttons is better then me !
  • DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

Meh, I love the Rift macro system, it's one of my favorite features. I don't think "activate the biggest power off cooldown" is any sort of meaningful loss of strategy. Macros remove what is literally a bunch of mindless clicking.

You might as well take auto-attack away, because OMG the computer is fighting for you!

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Lots of news about Rift lately. From new fun stuff coming, to long awaited new pvp philosophy, even very nice looking player housing.

However, the reason everyone i know quit and when my friends and i discuss this game today we all have a common feeling of why this game just doesnt "hook" us?

Macros.

Hundreds of unique abilities that could very well make for a fun and diversified experience in PvP and PvE so hardcore players could actually show skill above others and its all just tarnished because of how you can literally combine so many skills into one key in this game. Its just... kinda pathetic.

Wish they would change that before anything else. (just my humble opinion)

If people wanted to have hardcore PvE, they wouldn't be playing WoW or its clones, like Rift.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The reason why the idea of not using macros isn't a good solution to the people tat don't like them isn't because it's only a personal choice for them and them alone. They don't like the macros. And they don't want ME using macros either. If they chose not to, I still can and that's what they find upsetting.

However....

I know plenty of people who don't use 2 buttons, they have many smaller macros. The failover macros system is a great crutch and a good default for beginners, but it's not perfect. Someone who gains control over their class will have an advantage. That's been proven many times. Hell I remember the old WoW TBC Beastmastery Hunter "I-WIN" macro. And yet there were many hunters who didn't use the macro, who learned how to manually replicate the effect of the macro and ultimately gain mastery over what they were doing and exceeded the macro's potential (Big Red Kitty was one of them)

I have my 51 point ranger, and While you don't have to put the pet abilities in the macros, I do. It gives me much more control over my pet and cuts back on those OH SHIT moments when your pet does something you don't want

So now I need multiple sets of macros for each pet. OR, I can break the pet commands out of the routine macros and use more macros with fewer commands in each.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The reason why the idea of not using macros isn't a good solution to the people tat don't like them isn't because it's only a personal choice for them and them alone. They don't like the macros. And they don't want ME using macros either. If they chose not to, I still can and that's what they find upsetting.

However....

I know plenty of people who don't use 2 buttons, they have many smaller macros. The failover macros system is a great crutch and a good default for beginners, but it's not perfect. Someone who gains control over their class will have an advantage. That's been proven many times. Hell I remember the old WoW TBC Beastmastery Hunter "I-WIN" macro. And yet there were many hunters who didn't use the macro, who learned how to manually replicate the effect of the macro and ultimately gain mastery over what they were doing and exceeded the macro's potential (Big Red Kitty was one of them)

I have my 51 point ranger, and While you don't have to put the pet abilities in the macros, I do. It gives me much more control over my pet and cuts back on those OH SHIT moments when your pet does something you don't want

So now I need multiple sets of macros for each pet. OR, I can break the pet commands out of the routine macros and use more macros with fewer commands in each.

this exactly, anyone claiming that full macro users win over non macro users is nowhere as good as he or she claims they are.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Alyvian
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

However....

this exactly, anyone claiming that full macro users win over non macro users is nowhere as good as he or she claims they are.

Absolutely.  For example, how many 1-button macroers will have a CC break in their macro? I'm gonna say none. How many are going to have a no-cooldown power prioitized over a long-cooldown? Again, none. Those are easy patterns to exploit, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

The only macros I use are for buffs. I don't use them for combat. I don't care if others do. Personally I don't use them because I find I have better control not using them, better reactions to different situations. I have tried using them in the past to see the difference and I actually performed worse.

If the game didn't have macros, people would just complain that there were no macros. Use them or don't, choice is yours. If you're getting beat, it probably isn't due to not using macros.