Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Didn't expect it... But its seriously good.

Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Been playing the secret world fairly heavily for the last 2 or so weeks now, i had'nt heard much about it untill roughly a few weeks before launch and decided to give it a shot. To my suprise the game is exceptional and i have had the most fun in it that i have had in any mmo lately. However apparently funcom is somewhat still struggly, why on earth would this be? Is it just because of bad timing, with all these different games comming out. Or is it the fact that people didnt hear much about it?

Its a very good game and it needs to be recognised, but the real question is, why isnt it already?

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Stimos8

Been playing the secret world fairly heavily for the last 2 or so weeks now, i had'nt heard much about it untill roughly a few weeks before launch and decided to give it a shot. To my suprise the game is exceptional and i have had the most fun in it that i have had in any mmo lately. However apparently funcom is somewhat still struggly, why on earth would this be? Is it just because of bad timing, with all these different games comming out. Or is it the fact that people didnt hear much about it?

Its a very good game and it needs to be recognised, but the real question is, why isnt it already?

A little of everything you mentioned, and the fact that Funcom has a rather patchy reputation when it comes MMOs.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

I am having a lot of fun with it too.  Given all the recent launches I have more fun playing it than any of them. I group up on a daily basis.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         It seems to be a really niche game...THose who like it seem to really like it while those who dont really seem to dislike it....There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with TSW.
  • MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

It is a really awesome game.  The company is struggling because it was struggling before TSW and wanted TSW to do amazing and take up the slack the other games were doing.  It didn't do this.  Its doing fine on its own, and over time I know for certain it'll be profitable, but it couldnt magically pull them out of debt in a few weeks.

Anyone that is saying its a single player game obviously hasnt played it, because there is tons of group content.  Ive been groups for over 80% of the time I've played.

• EspionEspion Member UncommonPosts: 62

I agree, most of the negative you hear are just people that don't know anything about the game.  They might have made it through a zone.  TSW is the best that has come out over the last 5 yrs.  Don't group in the game and you will die multiple times, which you will do anyways.  GW2 has nothing over TSW.  If Funcom actually had used a lot of advertising instead f word of mouth, I believe the game would have really taken off.  It has done extremely well with the little bit of word of mouth. 

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Melieza

It is a really awesome game.  The company is struggling because it was struggling before TSW and wanted TSW to do amazing and take up the slack the other games were doing.  It didn't do this.  Its doing fine on its own, and over time I know for certain it'll be profitable, but it couldnt magically pull them out of debt in a few weeks.

Anyone that is saying its a single player game obviously hasnt played it, because there is tons of group content.  Ive been groups for over 80% of the time I've played.

The company isn't doing well because their games aren't doing well because the games they've made to date have not been very good. Some had great potential but were released way too soon to reach their potential (Conan anyone?).

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Glad you enjoy the game OP..

No its not the hottest thing on the market when it's all said and done and as you can see by one reply at least. Some people just don't know actual unique quality when they see it..

They just want more rehashes on the WOW theme. More dwarves and dragons (not the secret society type). They have been brainwashed to believe that anything that tries to step away from the cornbread formula is "garbage" and or atroicious..

The game really isn't that bad at all, it has a concentrated community of players who understand that TSW is a niche game. The game doesnt draw in the big figures most people look for to determine if a game is "good" or whatever..

With some time I can see TSW gaining a solid hold in it's little corner of the genre, should be well off as long as the playerbase keeps their expectations in the realm of possibility..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    [mod edit]

i dont know why peoples talking abouth this , if  is TSW sp game than 99% mmorpg's are single play games

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Did you feel that way from the laundromat to subway?

I was intrigued for a very short time.As soon as that last npc in the laundromat sat down and went into his 3 choices of speech,it looked fake and lost all immersion.I mean 3 choices showed up on screen ,you press one and you can hear a voice over but it no longer seems to come from that npc,instead just comes from your speakers.

I found the game looked like a GTA copy but done a lot cheaper,with less action.

I soon noticed that even the immersive interaction items were a yellow hue.telling me exactly where they were.I got a new quest an arrow on screen and even a number showed me exactly where to go,so again lost all immersion ,just hand holding.

Immediately i thought,no way can i play a game like this,so i logged out ,removed game.I thought later i maybe made a mistake and should have tried again the next day,maybe the game gets better,but i was so turned off early on ,i made a hasty choice to give up on the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    [mod edit]

i dont know why peoples talking abouth this , if  is TSW sp game than 99% mmorpg's are single play games

These days they are. Thats the biggest reason SWTOR didn't do well and it'll be the biggest reason this doesn't do well.

Charging a monthly fee for a game that focuses only on small scale group instances, and pretending to call it an MMO, won't get you success.

Originally posted by trash656
    [mod edit]

To me You come across as a narcissist who can't handle it when someone has a differn't taste in games,

I judge things by what category they're put in. I don't compare racing games to FPS games directly. I compare them to other racing games.

TSW is a decent standalone game. But as an MMO, it fails in many many ways. It lacks the vast majority of features that are standard in MMOs, and, let's be honest, there's very little thats "massive" about the multiplayer in TSW. It's all about the small scale instance quests.

It fails at being an MMO. It would have been 10 times better if it had been released as a singleplayer game with optional COOP, but Funcom went after the monthly fee the same way SWTOR did. Greed will sink this.

And if there's any doubt that the game was supposed to be a singleplayer game... the lead designer has only ever made singleplayer games.

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         It seems to be a really niche game...THose who like it seem to really like it while those who dont really seem to dislike it....There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with TSW.

This more than anything. It's a niche game - which most of us recognized, but the Funcom execs apparently didn't, and thus set their expectations way too high. 

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    [mod edit]

These days they are. Thats the biggest reason SWTOR didn't do well and it'll be the biggest reason this doesn't do well.

Charging a monthly fee for a game that focuses only on small scale group instances, and pretending to call it an MMO, won't get you success.

are we talking abouth same game?

I playing  TSW ,most time in group with other players, no matter for what; regular missions,dungeons ,exploring zones ... etc

TSW is very group friendly  & social mmorpg .

I am still confused, what is not SP game for you...or what is mmorpg for you ?

brw I am not fan cut scenes ,voice acting,or story driven in mmorpg's , just  dont care for that content in game ( it is waste of time & money for an mmo)

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Yes it is a great game till you reach the end and you realise it is the same hamster wheel gear treadmill you have been doing since days of WOW.

I personally had it enough after SWTOR but if you enjoy grind for purple gear then you might enjoy it. I am done for good with this end game design.

Bite Me

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I enjoyed the game for the month I played. Loved the investigation missions and concept especially. I put it on hold for a while to let the monthly updates add up and now I'm just hoping they get it together business wise so I have something to come back to. I really  think they should have went with a lower sub atleast to be more competitive, would have brought in more players I think and is one of the reasons I chose not to sub. It's a bit steep for such a small dose of content.
  • BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I agree with this. Those who like it, like it a lot, those who hate it, hate on it pretty strongly.

It's hard to market a game that makes the majority of people feel stupid. You don't win customer support by reminding them that they're dumb. Also, it doesn't help that combat starts off pretty weak - and for some it stays weak for the whole game. The other games coming out are simply too popular and drowned out TSW. Also, there was no advertising, so no one knew this game even existed until *after* it came out.

Overall bad timing and bad marketing of a niche game that even in the best of circumstances would probably never sell more than 500k boxes.

eta: Oh, and funcom's previous repuation didn't help either.

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

Just summarizing the reasons I've seen listed so far in various threads:

-Funcom's reputation ("Failcom"): many MMORPG players are not willing to give any of their products a chance anymore 

-cash shop; some people refuse to play a subscription game if it has also a cash shop, even if the cash shop is cosmetics only (combine this with Funcom's repuation for greater effect)

-subscription model: there is a portion of players who are not willing to pay a subscription for any game

-limited content (supposedly the game is great for the first few weeks/month or two, but after that the players run out out of content and become bored)

-difficulty (the difficulty setting is too high for some players)

-character models and animations look dated to some players + limited costumization at character creation

-"weak PvP" (limited maps and goals, generic character appeareance, I honestly can't remember what else people wrote)

-potential players don't know about the game; not enough advertising

-other game titles: TSW's launch is sandwitched between the launches of games like TERA, GW2, and MOP

-age restriction (16+/17+), "niche setting" (modern time, horror and urban legend-inspired); I can't remember this being listed as a reason, but I think there might be something to it

-negative reviews/user ratings on some sites

I agree with you the game deserves more love, BTW.

Sadly, horror doesn't go well with my levels of cortisol, or I'd be probably playing it. I like the inventivity and humor. 

EDIT: Highlighted some parts to make it easier to read.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Heh to each their own. I came into TSW with a Negative Outlook like you guys at first, because I find most of the new MMO's just suck now. I've been playing the secret world for awhile now, and I find it more enjoyable then GW2, but maybe thats because I'm Canadian or have something wrong with me haha. I like the combat because you need to constantly move around avoiding their attacks instead of just sitting there mashing keys all day long. I also like the story. I felt the writers did a really great job with the story. It's way way better then SWTOR was written. I'm surprised there are so many people on this site who really dont like the game. I probably like it though because I'm a big horror fan, and definitly a zombie fan. If you look at my avatar is my favorite character (Trash) from return of the living dead (1985). I'm playing TSW right now, and tommorow a new update comes out so we get more character creation options at the barber shop in new york ^_^

If you guys played it for a month then there must of been something you liked about it? But oh well to each their own I guess.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

I think the reasons are :

1) Funcom ( iknow a lot of people don't trust them and for good reasons)

2) GW2 is stealling the show already for some time, many people were waiting untill GW 2 came out to play some other games. (if GW 2 didn't deliver)

I say, if you shoot your own foot (actually both of them) you might not run that fast anymore.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by Bushi131

2) GW2 is stealling the show already for some time, many people were waiting untill GW 2 came out to play some other games. (if GW 2 didn't deliver)

I say, if you shoot your own foot (actually both of them) you might not run that fast anymore.

Good post. Expecting big sales after AoC was one of their biggest failures as of yet.

This game will never be big, seems it will not be profitable soon either, or firing 50% of FC workforce would've been redundant.

Originally posted by Rawiz
    Originally posted by Bushi131

Good post. Expecting big sales after AoC was one of their biggest failures as of yet.

This game will never be big, seems it will not be profitable soon either, or firing 50% of FC workforce would've been redundant.

Expecting long term player retention on an "MMO" that relies on cutscenes and voice acting as its only saving grace was the big mistake.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's the best pve game on the market

Unfortunately I prefer pvp.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Espion

I agree, most of the negative you hear are just people that don't know anything about the game.  They might have made it through a zone.  TSW is the best that has come out over the last 5 yrs.  Don't group in the game and you will die multiple times, which you will do anyways.  GW2 has nothing over TSW.  If Funcom actually had used a lot of advertising instead f word of mouth, I believe the game would have really taken off.  It has done extremely well with the little bit of word of mouth. 

yep ,agreed m8..i am soloing around blue mountain,just arrived there and dead twice in 1 min lol..i love this game and I AM getting a lifetime for this one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    "Relying on cutscenes and voice as the only saving grace"

Yes that would be true for the game that applies to - swtor.

But tsw has.
    The best quests in any current game.
    The best dungeons. It lacks quantity but it makes up for it with quality.
    The best character progression system in a themepark mmo, TESO should copy tsws skill wheel instead of having classes.
    Better than average combat, much more fun than the typical wow style combat of most mmos in that you have to actually play it, you can't play one handed while watching tv.

It's an original and different game, its as much a different sort of themepark and un wow cloney as gw2. Well except for one area, the pvp, which is unfortunately very wow, highly gear dependent and very lacking in strategy.

Basicly like pve - play tsw (with rift as second choice)
    Like pvp - play eve (with perpetuum as second choice)
    Like both and sick of skinner box loot grinders - play gw2.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's the best pve game on the market

Unfortunately I prefer pvp.

It's really not.

Vanguard beats it by a mile.