Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give GW 2 a deserving score

Comments

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

7.5/10

+massive scale

+jeremy soule returns

+art direction

+engaging combat

-technically the graphics engine is very poor. Runs worse than Crysis and hardly has any features that GW1 engine didn't have 7 years ago, except for more glow and blur (yay!). Locked FoV and no 1st person get in the way of gameplay for me.

-Cookie cutter gameplay systems. Everything fits into strict game design molds. Makes questing very deja vu.

-Critically, the feeling of striking off into unknown land and finding hidden sanctuaries (rare skill trainers, hidden elites, vast visually rich areas which are unmarred by Vista markers) has been killed by lack of death penalties and a more crowded, safe world design. The "Guild Wars" emotion of discovery just doesn't trigger in this game for me.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'm generally pretty critical when it comes to GW2 and i spend a good 15 hours playing today, only having a break for food twice and 2-3 hours of the servers being down. ( started at 6 my time, think the servers went down about 3 hours around.. 1 pm? really don't remember, then kept playing til 2 AM minus my meal breaks. )

I had near to no lag issues all launch apart from my casting animation lagging behind three times or so, got disconnected twice but got right back in, so as far as I'm concerned this is one of the smoothest MMO launches I've ever been part of.

I still don't think guild wars 2 is the next big thing, but even though i don't think It's much different from your average MMO, Its definitely more enjoyable then your average MMO.. It might partially be because you're constantly around crowds.

I do absolutely hate the doging mechanic though, while It's fun to use only beign able to dodge twice sucks, I really feel like I'm always short on energy >.<

Seeing as i got so hooked on it on day one, and i haven't been in ages by anything, I'd have to rate GW2 a 8/10, a 7 just feels to low for it, but 9 or 10 is simply exceptional in my book.. But GW is just great, It's not completely new, but refreshes the experience enough to make it enjoyable again.

• gambitknightgambitknight Member Posts: 12
    9.5/10. Anyone that can rate this 6/10 please produce for me a mmorpg with a rating higher than 3.5/10, because this game is quite obviously better than most if not all MMORPGs in existence, by a wide (at least 2.5 point) margin
  • AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Now i dont have the game...I want this game but i need to upgrade my computer in order to play it properly....but i have a suggestion...Don't judge the game until u get to endgame...otherwise it will be swtor all over again..."Oh this game is so effing great i love it so much its just the best mmo ever" *a month later* "I HATE IT THERES NO ENDGAME"..wait till u finish the game before u rate it sheesh..
  • petespritonpetespriton Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

metacritic reads 

2 days 11 hrs 28 mins 36 secs
    until game release

imagine that

Lmao, op totally owned

• gunthologygunthology Member Posts: 50
    9/10 having tons of fun , leaves me craving for more everytime i logout. 
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Yamota
    For those of you who pre-purchased and cannot access the service. Go to the review (still hype) section, meta-critic etc and give it a deserving score based on your experience.

I have to ask: 

Why do you buy themepark games? You know they aren't  your cup of tea yet with every game that has come out the last few years you spend months before release saying how bad the design is and then afterwards complain that it's the same old thing. Clearly themepark MMOs are not for you. There are sandbox titles available along with some others coming out soon. Why do you waste time and money on games that you know you won't like? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Although I respect everyone's right to be a little upset that the servers were down for a few hours.

In a moment of rationality, consider that the amount of time it was down was LESS than the time it takes many games for their regular weekly/bi-weekly maintenance.....

Frustrating when the game is new and you really, really want to play.  But in the grand scheme of things....not all that big of a deal.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    For those of you who pre-purchased and cannot access the service. Go to the review (still hype) section, meta-critic etc and give it a deserving score based on your experience.

I have to ask: 

Why do you buy themepark games? You know they aren't  your cup of tea yet with every game that has come out the last few years you spend months before release saying how bad the design is and then afterwards complain that it's the same old thing. Clearly themepark MMOs are not for you. There are sandbox titles available along with some others coming out soon. Why do you waste time and money on games that you know you won't like? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. 

Maybe he expects the developers to change the game to fit his wants?

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Seeing how the game is now running smooth as butter I would give it a 9+.  Look...it's a game okay....the problems last night could have been something totally outside of their control. It's fixed and the game is awesome! Play on....
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It's unfair to score ANY MMO within the first month.

Yes it is and yet you, i and everyone else is going to rate it anyways ;)

I learned my lesson with SWTOR.  I won't rate an MMO early unless the leveling is so horrible I have to quit.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I'm going to go ahead and think for myself thanks.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Mephster
    And desperation and paranoia has set in.... Afraid that reality will sink in and realize GW2 was not the second coming of Christ like many on this site proclaimed for many years.

GW 2 is a generic themepark with a twist, like all other recent released so all I am expecting is a few weeks of entertainment, a 7/10 at most. But since I cannot even use the service I will give it a 1/10.

1/10? lol.. Even Swtor is higher than 1/10 and it's much much worse.

It's irrelevant what the actual quality of the game is when the score is being given in a nerdrage.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

My personal score? 9.5. It's a great game with amazing attention to detail. I've played it almost nonstop the whole day.

There was a bit of lag and a few disconnects at launch but once that got squared away the game runs as smooth as butter. No FPS drops, no lag. I'm having a good time. And it looks like I'm not the only one, considering that every single US server is packed.

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Ihave been playing all weekend so far with almost zero issues and loving it.  Not sure of a score yet but definitely higher than any mmo I've played in the last few years.  

-briz

Originally posted by Brizlyn
    Ihave been playing all weekend so far with almost zero issues and loving it.  Not sure of a score yet but definitely higher than any mmo I've played in the last few years.   -briz

Glad you are enthusiastic, but the headstart is less than 24 hours in, I don't know how you played all weekend unless in some sort of closed beta.

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by strangepower

Ihave been playing all weekend so far with almost zero issues and loving it.  Not sure of a score yet but definitely higher than any mmo I've played in the last few years.  

-briz

Glad you are enthusiastic, but the headstart is less than 24 hours in, I don't know how you played all weekend unless in some sort of closed beta.

I am PST.  Game head started at 9pm on Friday for me.  So yea been playing all weekend.  I can tell you really are a smart person, despite your comment.

Edit: Do I really need to say all weekend, so far?  Really? 

Originally posted by strangepower  

Originally posted by Brizlyn Ihave been playing all weekend so far with almost zero issues and loving it.  Not sure of a score yet but definitely higher than any mmo I've played in the last few years.       -briz
    I am PST.  Game head started at 9pm on Friday for me.  So yea been playing all weekend.  I can tell you really are a smart person, despite your comment.

Edit: Do I really need to say all weekend, so far?  Really? 

Yeah, say what you mean and mean what you say, you have been playing since last night.

Come back Sunday evening and update us.

*Edit* Yes, that's how commas make communication proper. "Let's eat, Grandma." As opposed to "Let's eat Grandma."

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Instead of hiding an agenda behind an obviously biased statement, why don't you just say what's really on your mind?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I've had zero problems.  I feel for the people that have.  Several people last night complained of lag and I and many others had none.

The only issue I've had was low FPS in large WvWvW battles.  But that's on my machine and their engine is FAR better than that crappy SWTOR engine.

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I'm sorry but, while, if the launch was bad (can't tell because i'm not playing), that is not a factor to determine the score of a game. GW2 should receive it's final score based on the various game element it's made of, which requires time, of course.

First, launch IS an important factor and second, almost no reviewer plays the entire game before scoring it, so I think it's fair game to score it at any point, even now.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Onecrazyguy
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I'm sorry but, while, if the launch was bad (can't tell because i'm not playing), that is not a factor to determine the score of a game. GW2 should receive it's final score based on the various game element it's made of, which requires time, of course.

First, launch IS an important factor

Important?  Maybe, but you're reviewing a game, not a launch.  If there's a temporary issue at the beginnnig, most people aren't going to detract points for it, unless they're the types of people who would give a premature number rating anyway.

Speaking of premature # ratings, if the fun I've had so far continues at this pace, I'd give it a 9 easy.  A lot of games fail to impress me anymore, but GW2 is doing a really good job.  Best PVE I've played yet.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    6.5/10. Good, but not great.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Metacritic is the worst website ever! I have 0 respect for the people who post there. I am sure they will give GW 0s and 1s once its released.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by rungard
    The camera is still crap..but otherwise a solid game.

it's not crap, you just have to set it up for yourself... for instance, I don't like how it's slow on the begininning so I just speed up the rotation. But you can use the free camera and such things, it has alot of options, check it out and set it up :)

Oh and metacritic is not a website worth looking at for reviews because there's really alot of people who'll just post bad reviews when they didn't even play the game... And I'm not saying that only for GW2, I'm speaking in general.

I don't take this site seriously, I read what the reviews say but the score I don't look at really...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------