Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

1789101113»

Comments

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by IrishChai

Gah, I said I won't complain about complainers anymore but it spilled out. 

If a company asks for $$$ for their product and it doesn't work, what is wrong with complaining about it?

If I buy an Internet / phone plan and it doesn't work, you can be sure I'll complain about it and tell my friends to avoid company XYZ. Not getting the logic of this post.

It hasn't worked for less than a day (and only for some people)! You can show a little patience knowing the fact that they are working on it from multiple posts by them stating that. Not to mention it''s a headstart. It's more than they had to give you according to the spec of what you purchased. Everyone is NOT getting in to the headstart depending on how or where they purchased it. So people complain before launch, about a failed launch, before it even failed or launched. Can you understand that logic? 

Edited because I don't mean to be rude. I got it out of my system. I hope people have less to complain about soon then we can all be happy.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It hasn't worked for less than a day (and only for some people)! You can show a little patience knowing the fact that they are working on it from multiple posts by them stating that. Not to mention it''s a headstart. It's more than they had to give you according to the spec of what you purchased. Everyone is NOT getting in to the headstart depending on how or where they purchased it. So it strikes me as incredibly stupid to complain before launch, about a failed launch, before it even failed or launched. Can you understand that logic? If you're one of them, I don't expect you to FYI.

I still don't get this logic of 'well they are working on it! So it is okay!'

As a customer, do I really care whether they are working on it or not?

No, I paid for something and naturally I expect it to work. Is my expectation that 'high' nowadays? Really?

So, if you buy a cable plan and the install guy doesn't show up that day, you are telling me you won't complain?

Not sure what bizzaro logic you have, but my logic of 'If I buy ZYX with $$$, I expect it to work' isn't that hard to understand.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Zzad

NOT for me....

I avoided the first hours....i knew it was going to be like it was.... hammered servers....

Just loged in tonight and it runs just PERFECT!

I am in love with this game !!!

I went as far as to wait until september to start playing because I knew there would be a massive amounts of people logging in at once. Ok it's mostly cause I'm getting it as a gift on tthe first but you get the idea.

No, I paid for something and naturally I expect it to work. Is my expectation that 'high' nowadays? Really?

So, if you buy a cable plan and the install guy doesn't show up that day, you are telling me you won't complain?

Not sure what bizzaro logic you have, but my logic of 'If I buy ZYX with $$$, I expect it to work' isn't that hard to understand.

I do not complain when my cable isn't installed and up the day they say it will be. You should care if they are working on it because that is the best they can do! For one thing, they usually notify the customer so I know when it will be up, and I also know I will live if it's not up the first day. I've never been mad about it. That's life. Things don't just follow all expectations, and complaining doesn't do a damn thing if they already know it needs to be fixed and they've already planned on the best course of action to correct it. You are wasting their time and yours, unless they make indications and responses that say they don't care. THAT is a reason to complain.

Edited because I don't mean to be rude. I got it out of my system. I hope people have less to complain about soon then we can all be happy.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I would be totally pissed off at this launch, but it's sort of my own faut. I just pre-purchased a few hours ago when I realized the headstart had begun. Now, I'm getting timeout errors while trying to register and have been since buying it.  People need to realize that yes, they do stress test these games, but there are FAR more people on at launch/headstart than that, and it can produce problems. I remember not being able to loot on WoW for the first week. I remember constant downtime on EQ2. Is this a smooth launch/headstart? Hardly. Is it better than most? Oh yeah.
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

It hasn't worked for less than a day (and only for some people)! You can show a little patience knowing the fact that they are working on it from multiple posts by them stating that. Not to mention it''s a headstart. It's more than they had to give you according to the spec of what you purchased. Everyone is NOT getting in to the headstart depending on how or where they purchased it. So it strikes me as incredibly stupid to complain before launch, about a failed launch, before it even failed or launched. Can you understand that logic? If you're one of them, I don't expect you to FYI.

you should have researched mmo launch/head starts :D 

this is why i dont do head starts lol

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

But it is working for most people, so ....

Originally posted by scotty899

This is my 4th MMO launch so yes, I do know what it is like. :)

However, I don't agree that 'complainers should be quiet because XYZ'.

As I have said many times, if someone pays $$$ for a product and it doesn't work, why should anyone tell them to be quiet?

If I buy a cable plan and it doesn't work the day they promised, I complain.

If I buy a TV and it is faulty, I complain.

This isn't rocket science.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like you just enjoy complaining about everything that doesn't go completely as expected, even if it wasn't even promised. That's a lot of your life that will be spent doing nothing useful or constructive in a lot of situations where things are going as good as they can be considering the circumstances, and you seem to have no bearing on when that is or isn't true. Learning that bearing and when to act on it would make things a lot easier on you, but that's your choice. I don't think it's a productive way to live life.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

i crashed during the last stress test....NOW the game is running amazing...NO PROBLEMS YET

everything has been amazing soo far for me at least

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like you just enjoy complaining about everything that doesn't go completely as expected, even if it wasn't even promised. That's a lot of your life that will be spent doing nothing useful or constructive in a lot of situations where things are going as good as they can be considering the circumstances, and you seem to have no bearing on when that is or isn't true. Learning that bearing and when to act on it would make things a lot easier on you, but that's your choice. I think it's a dumb way to live life.

+1

In reality, it's just an immature approach to life in general, tbh. Sadly, some people live their entire lives that way...playing 'the victim of life's unfairness', LOL.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• theedge767theedge767 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub
    Originally posted by theedge767

SO many kids so little time .

Guys I have a secret for you . It's not launch day .

Heres a pro tip : Launches are all rocky

Every single mmo that has launched since the very first mmo has had some jackass start a thread somwhere on the internet  that goes somthing like this

OMFG OMFG THIS THE WORST LAUNCH OF ALL TIME.

Protip #2 : No one really thinks alaunch will go off with out a hitch and there was only one super bad launch in the history of mmos and it aint this one .. acutally there are two that I can recall

Auto Assault

and Tabula Rasa

That's not true at all.  SWTOR and RIFT both had very smooth launches, TSW as well.  So much so that threads began popping up saying that a smooth launch is now the norm the nothing to brag about.  A major title hasn't had a bad launch in quite some time.  Also look back at the above launches all of them counted the head starts as part of the launch.

First , I never said Swtor and rift had bad launches . Notice I was talking about tabula rasa and auto assault when I said bad launch .

Second,  if you didn't read the numerous  complaint threads about swtor launch you must have been in one of the multiverses  where swtor doesnt exsist.  Rift could be the acception to this however I do recall a few threads on lag and how the patches were runing peoples sickdays/vaction days.

I don't know what plane of exsistence you come from but on this plane there has never been a launch of any title from a a major studio and publisher that has not seen its fair share of the sky is falling threads on the day it goes live or the launch day .

Anyways as all gamers know when a game launches there is always a thread on how bad a launch it is no matter how smooth the launch was . Somone will always take exception to something that is going on in game or with the servers or whatever .  EVERYONE knows this . So why are you even trying to argue lol /boggle.

Originally posted by crewthief

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like you just enjoy complaining about everything that doesn't go completely as expected, even if it wasn't even promised. That's a lot of your life that will be spent doing nothing useful or constructive in a lot of situations where things are going as good as they can be considering the circumstances, and you seem to have no bearing on when that is or isn't true. Learning that bearing and when to act on it would make things a lot easier on you, but that's your choice. I think it's a dumb way to live life.

+1

In reality, it's just an immature approach to life in general, tbh. Sadly, some people live their entire lives that way...playing 'the victim of life's unfairness', LOL.

Going by this logic, if you buy anything and it doesn't work, you shouldn't complain at all.

Can I sell you a broken car / TV / Phone / cable plan etc?

Gdemami -

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

Seriously guys.. this had to be expected.

On launch day the login servers are getting hammered by thousands of requests at the same time. So do you people think they should get uber servers JUST for 2-3 days and then let them collect dust once things settle down?

From a business standpoint, it doesnt even make sense. I think people will have to live with it, because thats how it works. Theres no magic button to make a launch "smooth". Heck, even D3 had a rough launch with error 37...

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I didnt read all 32 pages of this thread, but I was a little surprised to see it. I set my alarm last night for 0300 EST,  logged right in, made some toons and played till I left for work at 0530. I got home around 1700, logged in and played for a couple more hours. So far I havent experienced a hiccup. Have I just been lucky?
  • AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Praetalus

So this is what pisses me right off. When TOR or TSW has a "head start" and has issues, people say that it's actually a failed launch, as early access is basically a staggered opening. When gw2, does it, they defend it saying that it's not a launch...  so no one should be bitching... gotta love double standards. 

whos to say those ppl that are defending gw2 didnt defend TOR or TSW...you cant just automaticly think that if ppl defend gw2 that they didnt defend the other games

• theedge767theedge767 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by scotty899

This is my 4th MMO launch so yes, I do know what it is like. :)

However, I don't agree that 'complainers should be quiet because XYZ'.

As I have said many times, if someone pays $$$ for a product and it doesn't work, why should anyone tell them to be quiet?

If I buy a cable plan and it doesn't work the day they promised, I complain.

If I buy a TV and it is faulty, I complain.

The terms of service for a cable guy installing your cable is vastly different then the terms of service for an mmo . That said you do realize that if said cable guy installs your cable and does everything in his power to make it work and then a  satellitecrashes its out his control right ?

So if the game company buys all the best hardware for a game server and they set it all up to the best of their ability and run the game in beta with x amount of people on the server and its fine,  then they have done what is expected of them .

When something happens on the server on the day they let the headstart people say maybe  an HDD malfunctions casuing part of the code to go haywire, would this not be the same as the cable guy not being at fault if the sattelite crashes after he installs the cable .

They work on it they fix the problem and they bring the service back up . Its all that can be expected . In the terms of service you clicked ok to without reading any of it it clearly states in the first few lines  "when service is availible " thats what you agree to if you dont like go outside and play a game with your friends. However whenon of them breaks their ankle and cant play anymore dont scream and shout about it like you do on the internet about an online game lol .

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Logged in at 9PM PST on the 24th, stayed on for about two hours. 

Logged in at around 2 PM on the 25th with no trouble as well.

Probably one of the best early starts I've ever experienced.  Then again I guess those weren't "prime time" points in time where the servers were hammered.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

Going by this logic, if you buy anything and it doesn't work, you shouldn't complain at all.

Can I sell you a broken car / TV / Phone / cable plan etc?

You're impression of 'our logic' is way off. According to our logic, if a broken car / TV / Phone / or cable plan doesn't work, use some intelligence to find the best course of action to fix it. Taking it back is the obvious step, to have it fixed or replaced. You don't need to complain to everyone online about how terrible it is that something happened unexpectedly. All of us know some players are having a little difficulty. They are working on it. Complaining is a waste of time at this point, and that's why I hate hearing it. You are getting that fixed car, tv, phone, or cable plan so give it a rest. You will get what you paid for as soon as they can fix it.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

I find a lot of this very ironic. Sure you have the right to be unhappy with a service that underperforms to your expectations as is the case with everything in the consumer market. You have to look at this in context. For a product designed to provide hundreds of hours of enterainment a few hours of issue at the begining isn't a large deal in the grand scheme of things, this isn't an p2p mmo where' your $60 only gets you a month and afterwards you'd have topay monthly, then you realy should complain, as that is an expensive premium product. In this modern Era of single player games going through sometimes several pacthes even those without online component. I think you can quit frankly give a b2p mmo a bit of slack. Would you moan at f2p mmo's launch for being buggy when you can't payed a dime for the game, no a logical person would accept it. No this example isn't quite as extreme as that, but really I think expectations should be comparitive.

You may expect the world for what you pay for but that is never going to be the case. You may complain and may even be successful for the majority you must have logical and comparitive expectation. Services will never be perfect and teh greater the deal slides towards you the more lenient you have to expect to be.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

7 pages of people who fed the troll.. tsk tsk

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

Ive been playing on and off all day. No problems other then getting stuffed into overflow. Sorry to hear others arent having as much fun as I am.

No, really. It hurts me that you think otherwise.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

This discussion has been closed.