Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 levels behind...

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Every place I go I seem to be stuck 2 levels behind what I should be.  Not sure what I skipped.  I'm only level 5, have done what I could find on my way to story parts and doing the 'heart' stuff and nearby events.

Any way to get a couple quick levels to catch up?  

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Every place I go I seem to be stuck 2 levels behind what I should be.  Not sure what I skipped.  I'm only level 5, have done what I could find on my way to story parts and doing the 'heart' stuff and nearby events.

i'm 2 levels OVER what i'm fighting.. try some crafting... look at my sig couple videos on leveling

one i'd suggest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHC-RyGCU8&feature=g-user-c

but couple others in there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Dynamic events, crafting, vistas, PVP; any of that stuff.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Ya, I did a lot of exploring. 
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Ya, I did a lot of exploring. 

yea just exploring gives a really good amount of XP

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i'm 2 levels OVER what i'm fighting.. try some crafting... look at my sig couple videos on leveling

one i'd suggest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHC-RyGCU8&feature=g-user-c

but couple others in there

Tha't my issue too, level 8 in a level 1-6 zone.  :)  2nd level low-level zone to be fair, I just figured it would be easier to get the skill points from a few of the beginner areas before moving into the 7-12 area I just started.  I also do some crafting, some gathering, some exploring, etc.  Not just hearts and DE.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I'm probably 3 levels higher than I should be only because I feel the need to do EVERYTHING in each area. Sometimes multiple times as it starts all over while I'm waiting for a miniboss to pop or whatever you'd call them.

I'm finding that there's just soooo much to do!

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Even if you don't craft... GATHERING.

No tradeskills needed (just the gathering tools) and it is great XP and either useful for later if you do craft or for coin if you sell them on Black Lion (when it comes back up)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I do some gathering, but I don't know where to buy more gathering tools, where to learn crafting etc.  I'm a total noob.

edit: wasn't paying attention, used karma to buy mining picks too high level for me to use.  winning.

Also apparently I missed a bunch of heart locations.  I imagine other people likely will be following where the green marker takes them without noticing this other stuff, but maybe it's just me.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

I do some gathering, but I don't know where to buy more gathering tools, where to learn crafting etc.  I'm a total noob.

Also apparently I missed a bunch of heart locations.  I imagine other people likely will be following where the green marker takes them without noticing this other stuff, but maybe it's just me.

Nope don't worry about it at all.

You are not alone and many of us went through similar experiences in our first BWEs.

Gathering Tools are sold by merchants near the entrances of all the major cities I believe. They are also sold on the 2nd(??) tab on all Crafting Trainers (The Trainers are all in the Cities btw). You need to equip them after you get them.

It took me 2-3 times to get the "pace" of GW2. Go slow. Listen to the NPCs (their conversations will often lead you to new or chain DEs). Stroll instead of rush. And don't be afraid AT ALL to wander off the beaten path "just to see what is over there?"

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I've actually been over the level as well. And I would like to add, that I love that as a feature.  I've been sucked into WvW hardcore and I'm probably four levels above where I last left off questing.  The great part is knowing I can still go back to questing, and not have to skip easy content, or get bored with it.

Also, those of you who don't normally play pvp should try WvW.....it is very accessible and fun as hell.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Welcome to GW2 where you must do everything. Well not really but if you focus on  personal story alone you will be extremely gimped. You have to touch on everything or repeat DE a lot of times to level in GW2. Enjoy your stay and do tell  how you feel about it after a week to a month.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Clocksimus
    Welcome to GW2 where you must do everything. Well not really but if you focus on  personal story alone you will be extremely gimped. You have to touch on everything or repeat DE a lot of times to level in GW2. Enjoy your stay and do tell  how you feel about it after a week to a month.

That hasn't been my experience with two characters, but then again I am enjoying the game fully as it was designed.  I certainly dont feel like I'm forced to do anything as you seem to imply.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I'm level 13 and I haven't done anything around level 11 hearts. I'm counting already 36 DIFFERENT Dynamic Events done only in Queensdale and without going to level 11+ areas, I want to try and find them all, also, Personal Story gives insane amounts of experience I don't remember it being so high during the BWEs.

I go around searching for crafting nodes, but my real purpose for going back is to find events I haven't seen yet.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Clocksimus
    Welcome to GW2 where you must do everything. 

Not everything, but you have too use your brain. I am really happy that again I have to "work" for my levels. I have to think, whats my status and what to do next. Not just jumping fully braindead from one questhub to the next.

Repeating some stuff, perhaps even waiting for some good stuff to happen or being very versatile was key before WoW and EQ2 ruined this genre with handholding from lvl 1-max. GW2 is still too much handholding for me. I prefer games where nobody tells you what to do: skill up, get money and try to survive. Thats all i need.

The original early version of GW2 must have been very good. No hearts, just stuff happens. Stay in a zone until you are high enough. Its up to you, what you do. Just do something. And dont complain, if you got no idea, what to do. Thats your fault.

Now they have hearts, but just for (mis)orientation. The way the game works is still the same.

PS: btw, i am always 1-2 levels behind, intentionally. This game is way too casual if played on even level.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

cotton candy says it gives +10 xp per kill, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything of the sort.

edit: btw, I didn't start this topic to draw out fanboy defensiveness, please leave it behind, same with criticisms about the game.  (though there's a whole 1 of those to 3 instant defenses lol)

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    It's hit and miss for me. Some areas I'm a level ahead, others I'm a level behind. I'm not really going in a straight line though, been running in a huge zigzag through queensdale lol. Honestly I prefer going in behind because it increases your rare loot chance if you fight higher level mobs.

cotton candy says it gives +10 xp per kill, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything of the sort.

edit: btw, I didn't start this topic to draw out fanboy defensiveness, please leave it behind, same with criticisms about the game.  (though there's a whole 1 of those to 3 instant defenses lol)

how was my post defensive? gave you video help on the subject you asked about

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    I'm a level 11 Slyvari and my next step in my personal story is for level 8. All one has to do is take it slow. I started off by exploring every nook and crany of the main city, just to get that zone completion chest & got a level & a half in the process. Just been exploring since. I guess the completionist won't have any issues with this game's levelling.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Personal story is a great boost of xp, 1 personal story its like half the bar,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316

To the original poster, I've found there is much more experience to be had in the starter zones, but the game is definitely built around rewarding exploration rather than a more typical quest hub type thing.  So just going out and exploring every little corner rewards you both directly and indirectly by letting you stumble upon dynamic events.   

I had a great experience today where I was with a few people exploring some caves, and while clearing out some toxic worms looking to see if we could find an exit, a troll (champion) started smashing his way down the cave from somewhere deeper in, hitting both worms and us as he went.  We fought him off but all of us got wasted but the warrior, who managed to kite him back out the way we came in into the open fields.   

We respawned near there, and ran over to help and downed him after a 4-5 minute fight.

Stumbling across moments like that while exploring is pretty awesome.

• AgartAgart Member UncommonPosts: 82
    A lot of dynamic events don't appear on the map, you will trigger more by exploring areas. Also, i recommend doing some crafting, gathering, do the skill points challenges when you see them, find all the binding points, the points of interest,etc. I'm level 11 and i'm doing level 8-9 quest at the moment.

I'm level 8, I thought I was caught up, then I go to the quest just 3 steps away from the last one called "Voices from the Past" and I'm supposed to defeat a bunch of level 10s simultaneously?

Kind of peeved.  I don't mind exploring around a bit, but I just don't get what I'm supposed to do outside of WvW and crafting, which I'm just not interested in right now.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    i am too, op. i think it's because i'm running right behind a horde that's finihsing off all the des before i get there. :P
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm level 8, I thought I was caught up, then I go to the quest just 3 steps away from the last one called "Voices from the Past" and I'm supposed to defeat a bunch of level 10s simultaneously?

Kind of peeved.  I don't mind exploring around a bit, but I just don't get what I'm supposed to do outside of WvW and crafting, which I'm just not interested in right now.

It sounds like you're just following specific content the key is to journey around the starting area looking for DE's. There are quite a few at your level range from what I recall. As someone else mentioned there's the personal story segements as well. Point is there really is no shortage of PVP content at your level.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

discover all the points of interest and teleporters in the major city, play the minigames in the cities, do the primary storyline instance quests, gather materials for crafting (been doing that it's a huge boost), run around discovering areas outside the city, do the various skill challenges in each races beginning zones. Lots of stuff to do.