Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I already got BANNED.

Comments

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

eheheh

2 things i'd say:

a) What a start you did in GW2. lol

b) Very restrict at arenaN.

I'm not telling you shouldnt say stupid things like that, but thats the way you present your opinion. Rugh but it's way. The ban, it's a bit more ridiculous than the phrase. Turning a MMO into a perfect world (im not pub) it will never turn into a nice end. I guess my decision of waiting a litle more it's not so wrong. Has i see GW2 is getting too much perfect. As my friend Jab says, if there's no Drama, definitely something is wrong.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by Jagarid

Don't take this the wrong way.  But I'm glad you got a temp ban.

Not that I find what you said offensive, but it is good to know they are taking a firm hand in enforcing their policies instead of being wishy washy like some other games where just about anything goes.

The community on my server is freaking amazing.  Everyone, and I mean literally everyone, is friendly and courteous.  It is nice to know that a few bad apples won't spoil it because they won't get away with it.

Im kind of glad as well, we need more of this to stop games from becoming WoW chat.  Letting people do and say what ever they want is what ruins a community.  I do hope you get your account back, at least you will (hopefully) think twice before saying something innapropriate.  M rated/ Adult talk should be left to private chat, party or guild...even then, you should know if your in front of a mature, understanding group of people.  Not everyone wants to hear people and their foul mouths....even though its a game, show some respect...not just to others, but for yourself!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Well, I'm glad they're not gonna allow the kind of fowlness that goes on in WoW.
  • clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Fratman
    You got banned in GW2 for saying something silly like that? Wow, I'm glad I didn't buy the game. I'd probably last about 5 mins before I was banned too.

Yeah, seriously.

You know this game wasn't made by an american company because there is no fucking way they could term your service after buying a product for making an innapropriate joke.

Now, if they were simply banning you from the forums, i could see that, still a bit draconian IMO, but still i could see it.  But actually banning your account?  I'm pretty sure you'd be able to bring a lawsuit against them if you had wanted.

More....

/facepalms

Probably the only reason they would be able to get away with it is because it is not a sub based game.  If it were a sub based game then the us govt would define that as you paying for a service.  Now, a company has the right to deny service based on basically any reason they want, but they have to refund your money unless they provide that service.  So, facepalm all you want, but there was *some* validity to my statement.

now, would anyone actually try to bring a lawsuit over a $60 game? no, if they did they'd be an idiot, or just someone with too much money and too much time on their hands.  But the legal precedent would exist.

Pretty sure the ToS says that they reserve the right to ban you for whatever reason they feel like. Id wager 99% of MMO's include that in their ToS.

First google result http://us.ncsoft.com/en-gb/legal/user-agreements/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct.html

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Ghern
    You got banned in GW2 for saying something silly like that? Wow, I'm glad I didn't buy the game. I'd probably last about 5 mins before I was banned too.

Yeah, seriously.

You know this game wasn't made by an american company because there is no fucking way they could term your service after buying a product for making an innapropriate joke.

Now, if they were simply banning you from the forums, i could see that, still a bit draconian IMO, but still i could see it.  But actually banning your account?  I'm pretty sure you'd be able to bring a lawsuit against them if you had wanted.

Are you serious?

You know that box you checked when you agreed to the terms of service and probably did not read?  (few do read it)

It will be in there. Lawsuit? Good grief, I think my IQ dropped  a little just reading that comment.

I was discussing a hypothetical.  I don't own GW2, nor do i have any intention of buying it.  Anyways, don't take my post as condoning his actions, i still disagree with them.  My point is that generally companies can't get away with shit like that, regardless of terms of service.

I for example work in the auto insurance industry, and you'd be amazed at the shit that gets thrown out of a signed written contract because a judge or a jury decides that it wasn't valid or fair, etc.

For example, you can put into your terms of service that if you are ever to wear a red shirt while playing our game, your account can be banned.  Now, most people on this forum would go "well idiot its in the TOS and you agreed to it, so blah blah blah".   When if someone actually did get their service termed for wearing a red shirt and playing the game they could EASILY bring a suit against that company, assuming said company did not refund their money.

Basically once they define it as a service, they have to provide that service, or they have to refund your money, they can't can you for no valid reason and keep your money.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94
    I'm not saying I shouldn't have been banned. I'm just saying I was banned.
  • bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Yeah, seriously.

More....

/facepalms

Probably the only reason they would be able to get away with it is because it is not a sub based game.  If it were a sub based game then the us govt would define that as you paying for a service.  Now, a company has the right to deny service based on basically any reason they want, but they have to refund your money unless they provide that service.  So, facepalm all you want, but there was *some* validity to my statement.

now, would anyone actually try to bring a lawsuit over a $60 game? no, if they did they'd be an idiot, or just someone with too much money and too much time on their hands.  But the legal precedent would exist.

Um...all the courts agree that video games are a service. When you purchase a game, ANY GAME, you do not own the rights to that game. You purchase the ability to play said game. If said person breaches a companies terms of service, they have the right to terminate your access to the service. Depending on the laws, some services may be required to provide a refund for the remaining time of the subscription. This isn't a subscription based game. Considering he had received the service (with BWE, and headstart) and used it, he is not entitled to a refund for being banned. 

Let me put it this way, he would have no case and the courts would laugh at him as he has to pay the legal fees associated with bringing a ridiculous lawsuit to court. He violated ArenaNet's terms of use, and is therefore able to be removed from said service. 

There is no validity to your statement.

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Ghern

Yeah, seriously.

Are you serious?

You know that box you checked when you agreed to the terms of service and probably did not read?  (few do read it)

It will be in there. Lawsuit? Good grief, I think my IQ dropped  a little just reading that comment.

I was discussing a hypothetical.  I don't own GW2, nor do i have any intention of buying it.  Anyways, don't take my post as condoning his actions, i still disagree with them.  My point is that generally companies can't get away with shit like that, regardless of terms of service.

I for example work in the auto insurance industry, and you'd be amazed at the shit that gets thrown out of a signed written contract because a judge or a jury decides that it wasn't valid or fair, etc.

For example, you can put into your terms of service that if you are ever to wear a red shirt while playing our game, your account can be banned.  Now, most people on this forum would go "well idiot its in the TOS and you agreed to it, so blah blah blah".   When if someone actually did get their service termed for wearing a red shirt and playing the game they could EASILY bring a suit against that company, assuming said company did not refund their money.

Basically once they define it as a service, they have to provide that service, or they have to refund your money, they can't can you for no valid reason and keep your money.

You don't think that overly offensive language in a rated T game would constitute as a valid reason?

• UnfriendlyUnfriendly Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Please prove it OP
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by lerwen

72 hours i think 

i got banned for my toon name screw you

I love that they ban people like you. I don't want you in my game.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

It wasn't as offensive as much as it was stupid. Nothing personal against OP, but some general  guidelines should be followed, meaning we should be careful what we say, online or not.

Originally posted by Damzilla

It wasn't as offensive as much as it was stupid. Nothing personal against OP, but some general  guidelines should be followed, meaning we should be careful what we say, online or not.

This is true.

• Rambo621Rambo621 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I actually didn't think it was funny at first, but after reading all these replies now i keep laughing when i read it over again.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by bookworm438

Yeah, seriously.

More....

/facepalms

Um...all the courts agree that video games are a service. When you purchase a game, ANY GAME, you do not own the rights to that game. You purchase the ability to play said game. If said person breaches a companies terms of service, they have the right to terminate your service. Considering he had received the service (with BWE, and headstart) and used it, he is not entitled to a refund for being banned. 

Let me put it this way, he would have no case and the courts would laugh at him as he has to pay the legal fees associated with bringing a ridiculous lawsuit to court. He violated ArenaNet's terms of use, and is therefore able to be removed from said service. 

Jesus christ you people have no idea how the law works in this country

Let me make it simple.  A company can make a ToS, and you can agree to it.  That does not make it LAW.

You can bring a lawsuit against that company and challenge it in court.  Now, as to your second point, is there a possibility it could be laughed out of court by the judge, yes.  It all depends on the reason for the lawsuit.

Example, if in the terms of service it says you will not willing exploit the game, and they have solid evidence that your participated in an exploit, or lets say hacked the service to your advantage.  Yes, you would get laughed out.  Now, if they had something ridiculous in their TOS like saying you can't use the words Blizzard, or World of Warcraft in our global chat channels.  You could easily challenge that in court.

Let me give you a real life example.   In Texas in 2009 a US district court ruled that an arbitration clause in blockbuster's ToS couldnt be upheld because Blockbuster included in their ToS that they reserved the right to change their ToS at any time for any reason.  The court ruled that blockbuster wasnt offering anything in exchange for the plaintiffs agreement to arbitrate.

Work in any industry that has to deal with regular lawsuits and you'll find that things like ToS's are basically worthless in court.  They're there to scare 99.9% of people away from actioning against it.

Once again, LAW =/= ToS

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yeah, seriously.

More....

/facepalms

Um...all the courts agree that video games are a service. When you purchase a game, ANY GAME, you do not own the rights to that game. You purchase the ability to play said game. If said person breaches a companies terms of service, they have the right to terminate your access to the service. Depending on the laws, some services may be required to provide a refund for the remaining time of the subscription. This isn't a subscription based game. Considering he had received the service (with BWE, and headstart) and used it, he is not entitled to a refund for being banned. 

Considering that the game isn't even released yet and he is unable to play it I think he woudl actually have a case... in some fantasy world where you bother to sue someone over $60.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Stupidity can be expensive. Buy another copy.
  • VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Yeah, seriously.

More....

/facepalms

Considering that the game isn't even released yet and he is unable to play it I think he woudl actually have a case... in some fantasy world where you bother to sue someone over $60.

^ dat post ,  rofl realy i havent bought it yet but  thank god there are good admins, wich will mean: no 15 yr  olds raging ... glad you got banned, draw a lesson from it

[CENTER]image

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    wtf is gyazo.com?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    wtf is gyazo.com?

Instant screen grabbing

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

Pretentious dogs aside... is there anything to actually "get" with OP's quote? Doesn't make sense to me... lol

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Demandman

Pretentious dogs aside... is there anything to actually "get" with OP's quote? Doesn't make sense to me... lol

That's why I posted what I did earlier in the thread. There must be some sort of medical, genetic or chemical reason....

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by clbembry

I said something along the lines of:

"You know you're addicted to Guild Wars 2 when your father gets drunk and beats your mother."

Innappropriate? Yes. Deserving of a ban? Maybe. Does anyone know how long these bans last for?

EDIT: I'm not complaining that I'm banned. Just want to throw that out there. I'm take full responsibility for my actions.

EDIT2: Because someone wanted proof http://gyazo.com/32f0f2b7697022dd8bc93159d4629665.png?1345922249

This isnt the sort of thing most players want to read in any game quite frankly.

Deserving a ban ...... yes ....... permanent... maybe

Are you implying people don't just say things to say them?
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Leaving aside the fact that what you did was incredibly dumb, i hope its only a temporary ban as you seem nicer than your post. If you make a habit of saying things like that in RL, this could be actually a good lesson for you...losing a GW2 account for saying something stupid is no big deal, you can always buy another, losing a job or a girlfriend over a dumb comment is.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Urko
    Originally posted by clbembry

I said something along the lines of:

"You know you're addicted to Guild Wars 2 when your father gets drunk and beats your mother."

Innappropriate? Yes. Deserving of a ban? Maybe. Does anyone know how long these bans last for?

EDIT: I'm not complaining that I'm banned. Just want to throw that out there. I'm take full responsibility for my actions.

EDIT2: Because someone wanted proof http://gyazo.com/32f0f2b7697022dd8bc93159d4629665.png?1345922249

This isnt the sort of thing most players want to read in any game quite frankly.

Deserving a ban ...... yes ....... permanent... maybe

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet that GW2 has an ignore function. Why should he be banned for saying somethign that isn't vulgur? You don't like what he says you can ignore him. I think this is probably just a troll post, but you are being a bit harsh.

I mean the whole focus of the game is killing things, but you can't say something about Dad beating on Mom? Those mobs probably hav elittle pixelated children somewhere and you can murder them. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

This discussion has been closed.