Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linkrealms - A free sandbox mmorpg to rediscover

LeFrushLeFrush Member UncommonPosts: 3

Hi guys, so a few weeks ago I've been looking on the web for a game similar to the good old Ultima Online and I stumbled (again) on Linkrealms. Here my opinion on the game. A due preamble: it's a super indie mmo, basically developed by a two-people team (one coder and one artist). 

http://linkrealms.com

I recall I heard of that already long ago but I thought it was a dead project. The game instead has been moving on, very slowly, but there have been several addition and changes and it's quite active now. It is still in beta, but the developers have stated on the forums there will be no wipe of the server when beta ends. So I asked myself, why not trying it? Good choice indeed, since it turned out to be a nice surprise.

The game reminds me so much of UO, same isometric visual, same mouse-led, tile-based movement, and several other details like the inventory and so on. It's very old school, even in the graphics, but they actually look much nicer than UO, even if they are simple. Look here:

The game is totally free to play, it has an item store but with a good philosophy that "goals are meant to be achieved in game, not in the store", as it says on the store page - another thing that intrigued me a lot, and playing I found out it is true:

https://www.linkrealms.com/index.php?page=store

A brief summary of its features: [B]Land Ownership, Customized Characters, Skill Based, Non-Instanced Dungeons, Farming, Crafting, In-Depth Pet System, PvP Action[/B]. They're described more in detail here:

http://www.markeedragon.com/index.php?cat=20

On this website you can get a beta key too, or you can ask for one on their website [url]http://www.linkrealms.com/index.php?page=beta-test-application[/url] (they always give them out).

One feature that is really unique is land ownership they way they implemented it, check out what players can do with their plots of land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCmxbeRk5qI

The real problem with this game is that, to me, the first impression it gives is quite bad. There is no tutorial and the game is very different from today's mainstream games, which scares many people. Plus, they had the bad (imho) idea of adding "quests" for noobies that sometime make sandbox-loving player think the game is quest-based - which is actually not, quests are just for noobies. Fortunately the community is very helpful, you always find players answering your questions and giving you a hand. You also find other ones trying to kill you and take away what you leave on your corpse in PvP areas but that's a different story eheh.

Well, what else can I say.. I think such a small project brought to life by such a small team with quite good results deserves some attention. Hope to see some of you in game guys! If you have any questions ask me, hoping I can answer eheh.

See you!

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

cool thanks

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I was thinking about this game earlier today as an example of a good cash shop versus a bad cash shop.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Tried it and revisited it several times. Other than it being isometric, I found no other similarity with UO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Jarko89Jarko89 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I was thinking about this game earlier today as an example of a good cash shop versus a bad cash shop.

Yeah I've been playing it for quite some time and I have to say that it's true, it has probably the best cash shop I've ever seen after League of Legends... Particularly because there's nothing in it that can make a player more powerful (no armors, no weapons, no stat boosts and so on).

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Tried it and revisited it several times. Other than it being isometric, I found no other similarity with UO.

Linkrealms is not like “pre trammel UO”. It does however resemble current day UO, and in my opinion does a much better job with its appearance and gameplay. The ownership of realms is a great feature, allowing players to have an impact on the world. It is not open world pvp like the pre tram UO, but they have a focus on the pvp aspect of the game. They recently added pvp lands with incentive for players to fight and own realms there. The area includes a pvp dungeon that has unique rewards. There is also another dungeon that is pvp specific. The game provides a mix of pvm and pvp.

I have been playing Linkrealms for about a year and can say it is polished. I find the game refreshing in today’s “wow” like genre. Finally a (small) team is working build upon the foundation of what UO started. Linkrealms is not a copy of UO and never will be. But ideas from UO can be used to make Linkrealms a better game. The UI may seem foreign for new comers. Most MMO players are used to a totally different UI and play style. After a short time, and maybe a little guidance, players will feel right at home.

Anyone who is going to check out this game should visit Jarko's videos on youtube. Right now he has 12. You can find his Skills and Stat guide here:

http://youtu.be/O9gZ6MAXP3A

Check out his other videos also. He has some good information.

Originally posted by wrekognize

Anyone who is going to check out this game should visit Jarko's videos on youtube. Right now he has 12. You can find his Skills and Stat guide here:

http://youtu.be/O9gZ6MAXP3A

Check out his other videos also. He has some good information.

Ahah you're too good, I just try to help newcomers (and more skilled players if possible) a bit. Thanks! :)

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Applied for beta :)
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

KK I have about a week in game now (off and on since I am testing another game as well) and I have to say +1 from me to recomend anyone interested in sandbox games to give it a try. I will be honest, there is some things I see flawed (or just dont like) but overall am very impressed with this game.

Persoanally the art style is fantastic IMO and its a very "pretty" game. The Customization options for your character are phenominal , the crafting is deep and the dungeons seem decent (I have only been to two)- Community is hit and miss with some very cool and friendly people .

Anyhow I will certainly be playing this off and on to see where it goes- But very happy thus far.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I agree with the OP.

A great game with unique, old school charm, fun and bizarre features (like cockerel breeding, lol) and a nice and helpful little community. If they continue development at a decent pace it could be a niche hit. Housing is awsome, you use an external program to design your own "realm" and then upload it into the game world for everyone to see and visit.

The only thing lacking imo is open world PvE; there are vast areas that are completely empty. With the easy fast travel, most people just teleport around between dungeons, home and the bank, making traveling useless which is bad in a sandbox game. I'd like to see more points of interest around the world, random mob encounters, etc, especially since the world is so atmospheric and sometimes beautiful in its simple way.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Biskop

I agree with the OP.

A great game with unique, old school charm, fun and bizarre features (like cockerel breeding, lol) and a nice and helpful little community. If they continue development at a decent pace it could be a niche hit. Housing is awsome, you use an external program to design your own "realm" and then upload it into the game world for everyone to see and visit.

The only thing lacking imo is open world PvE; there are vast areas that are completely empty. With the easy fast travel, most people just teleport around between dungeons, home and the bank, making traveling useless which is bad in a sandbox game. I'd like to see more points of interest around the world, random mob encounters, etc, especially since the world is so atmospheric and sometimes beautiful in its simple way.

Bis, I TOTALLY agree with you.

On EVERYTHING.

I wandered around for HOURS and there werent even Mobs anywhere that I could find. The main area where the  farm/bank/crypts/etc are is active but beyond that I  wander forever to get to other points of interest and dont find anything while traveling.

-Other than that I am loving the game.

Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Biskop

I agree with the OP.

Bis, I TOTALLY agree with you.

On EVERYTHING.

I wandered around for HOURS and there werent even Mobs anywhere that I could find. The main area where the  farm/bank/crypts/etc are is active but beyond that I  wander forever to get to other points of interest and dont find anything while traveling.

-Other than that I am loving the game.

I definitely agree with you guys. They did recently add two separate spider dungeons (two different difficulties) that randomly appear in realms throughout the world. There are also two random events that spawn randomly in the world. The lizzgoth spawn that guards a level 45 chest and there is a green mushroom spawn. This is a step in the right direction, but I agree there needs to be more creatures/events.

• DorrianDorrian Member UncommonPosts: 16

I am having a great time in this game! Skill based system 4tw! and the Linkrealms Map Editor that comes with the game is so amazing and detailed for creating your own home or farm almost anything you can imagine you can decorarte till your hearts content! The community is pretty freindly and yes you can get PKed and drop your cash plus other various item that dont stay on you, like crafting mats, food (which provieds a method of healing like potions). This is not a hold your hand, spoon fed MMO that a 3 year old can spam some hot keys and presto... EPICs. You have to hone your skills, develope your charecter and become self sustained.

I loved UO played it back in 1998-2004 and this has been the closest thing to ever remind of that since then! Come try it out, give a good testing too and next thing you know, you will be emerced in the game.

Originally posted by Dorrian

I am having a great time in this game! Skill based system 4tw! and the Linkrealms Map Editor that comes with the game is so amazing and detailed for creating your own home or farm almost anything you can imagine you can decorarte till your hearts content! The community is pretty freindly and yes you can get PKed and drop your cash plus other various item that dont stay on you, like crafting mats, food (which provieds a method of healing like potions). This is not a hold your hand, spoon fed MMO that a 3 year old can spam some hot keys and presto... EPICs. You have to hone your skills, develope your charecter and become self sustained.

I loved UO played it back in 1998-2004 and this has been the closest thing to ever remind of that since then! Come try it out, give a good testing too and next thing you know, you will be emerced in the game.

Oh, Dorrian! I saw your name a lot in game, I never knew you posted here.

I wish I still had time to play Linkrealms as before. Is there anyone in this community playing it?

Also, registration is open now for about one day maybe? If you want to try this out, it's the right moment!

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

For everyone who loving UO: dont think, get in the game NOW!

Some beta keys in the discription of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mckt4jMnNX4&feature=share

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You're kidding right?  It's like an UO clone.

The skill system is the same, the lack of a player class, grinding for skill gain, the interface is almost identical in the sense of picking up gear with your mouse, dragging it around, between containers, etc.  The player doll is similar as hell, and many of the skills are EXACTLY from UO, or just like those in UO.

It's like UO-light, to me, or, ultra-light... Pretty graphics with almost 0 content after a week of playing.  UO had 100x the content and functionality on day 1 (I was a beta tester) than this game has in 3 years of development.  It doesn't matter to me why.  I just want a game to play that's actually finished and gives me a reason to play it.  This game doesn't.

• MellowdaveMellowdave Member Posts: 1

I saw this post a few weeks ago and decided to register for Beta and try this game and I must say I am really enjoying it!  I started with UO as my first MMO and over they years have played them all... but it just amazes me that a mainstream game has not done this same route.  I really hope this game continues to develop.

This game very similar to UO for me so far, but also much improved.... the the chat system for example, and I haveen't even explored the realm editor yet which seems like a great idea to me.  I highly suggest trying this game out for any old school player, or someone that really wants to try an alternative to wow and it's clones.  This is a true rpg.