Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

where is gw2 on the hard drive?

svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

During the download I saw that it said I was downloading thousands of files, but all I can find on the hard drive is gw2.exe, gw2.dat, and gw2.tmp (all in the /download directory).  Where is the downloader putting the game?  Am I starting the game with the wrong gw2 file?  

Comments

• CyflymCyflym Member Posts: 30
    Just a guess but i'd assume the dat is a container file (kind of like a zip) with all content in it.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Ok, but the reason I started looking is that the game startup is odd and it made me think Im starting the wrong file.  When I click on the gw2 file, windows pops up with a window asking "Do you want to run this file" as if the file was a new download and never has been installed.  Is it that way for everyone?  Not very professional, but forgivable for a game thats technically in pre-release.  Id just like to know that its them not me.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

umm window popup msgs asking if you want to run the file is common its been built in to windows since vista. its got nothing t o do with if the file is new or installed. my steam some times pops that msg up, as its a built in safety alert depending on how secure you set your system.

as for the files them selves. try setting windows to show the expanded file view and then right click the files and see how big they are, most games download their installer/files in a sort of torrent style so come down as a parted zipped set that recompile when you access the file (in this case my guess would be gw2.exe) 

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    All of the updates go into the .dat file.  At least thats where it goes if your still using the client from the beta weekends.  If you did a full reinstall it will be in your Program Files (x86)/ Guild Wars 2 folder for Win7.  I dont recall if mine installed the same way...only being like 3 or 4 files when done, I didnt check...but if there are only a those files in your GW2 directory, the .dat file is updated and is the client.  Screenshots n such go into your User directory folder....they are not in the GW2 folder.
    Originally posted by stringboi
    All of the updates go into the .dat file.  At least thats where it goes if your still using the client from the beta weekends.  If you did a full reinstall it will be in your Program Files (x86)/ Guild Wars 2 folder for Win7.  I dont recall if mine installed the same way...only being like 3 or 4 files when done, I didnt check...but if there are only a those files in your GW2 directory, the .dat file is updated and is the client.  Screenshots n such go into your User directory folder....they are not in the GW2 folder.

See there's the thing.  I would expect it to have installed in program files (x82), but it didnt.  It stayed in my /download directory.  If yours installed like normal (/program files) then I got to think something is hokey with my install.  Or are you saying it only does that if I reinstall?  What, like if I intentionally deleted it all and redownloaded everything?

Originally posted by Ichmen

umm window popup msgs asking if you want to run the file is common its been built in to windows since vista. its got nothing t o do with if the file is new or installed. my steam some times pops that msg up, as its a built in safety alert depending on how secure you set your system..

Thats news to me.  Ive installed a lot of games and never ever had that popup except on the initial install.  Any game already installed just starts.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by svann

umm window popup msgs asking if you want to run the file is common its been built in to windows since vista. its got nothing t o do with if the file is new or installed. my steam some times pops that msg up, as its a built in safety alert depending on how secure you set your system..

Thats news to me.  Ive installed a lot of games and never ever had that popup except on the initial install.  Any game already installed just starts.

It depends on how strict you have set up the program access policy. Different installations may have different setting.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

Originally posted by Leethe
    Originally posted by svann

It depends on how strict you have set up the program access policy. Different installations may have different setting.

This program is behaving differently than other programs, or windows is treating it differently.  I havent changed any settings.  Let me ask you, are you getting the same behavior from gw2?  It would help to know if its like this for everyone or if its just me.  Or do you even have gw2 installed?

Or wait, after rereading your post I have to ask are you saying it depends on how I installed gw2?  That makes no sense to me since there was no option presented to install it one way or another.  I just clicked it and it installed itself.