Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are so many complaining about "launch"

Comments

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    Launch went perfectly for me. Slept for a few hours, woke up to my alarm clock at around 4AM EST, created a toon and played for about two and a half hours, then logged off to mow grass, see to kids, etc...

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by chopstix906
    The misconception I think most people have is that this is not a launch at all. It's a head start. The point of a head start is to have a smaller number of players to stress test the servers.

False. If you have evidence to the contrary provide it.

i would say the same to you

These servers are the same, final ones at the official launch.

During alpha/beta, the company informs that they are there to test the game. A stress test, like the many ANet had, are to stress it, as informed by the developers aswell.

A headstart, again, is, by the defenition of the word, an early launch.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by chopstix906 The misconception I think most people have is that this is not a launch at all. It's a head start. The point of a head start is to have a smaller number of players to stress test the servers.

"A Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchase involves buying the game in advance—that is, making full payment either through our website or through one of our authorized retailers. Those who pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 earn special benefits, including guaranteed access to our Beta Weekend Events, admittance to the game three days before release during the Headstart Access period"

Clearly 2 separate things.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

The misconception I think most people have is that this is not a launch at all. It's a head start. The point of a head start is to have a smaller number of players to stress test the servers. There are two reasons why it is not going as smoothly as some hoped. 1. Head start is necessary to solve issues before the entire player base starts playing. 2. This is probably the highest population head start of the year. There are a ton of people participating so it's not going to be as smooth as some of the other smaller head starts other games had. Have some patience and understanding. Wait until the actual launch before you criticise.

A head start is a soft launch of the game. Its all about marketing. Head Starts are made to sell a game, allowing those who pony up the cash to gain access before those who didnt. In most games its for those who spent extra on CE's or Special Editions. In GW2 its for those who bought the game in full before its 'street date'. No matter how you or the company spins it, a Head Start is still the launch of the game. Only those who claim a headstart is not a launch are the ones who have misconceptions.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

The misconception I think most people have is that this is not a launch at all. It's a head start. The point of a head start is to have a smaller number of players to stress test the servers.

These servers are the same, final ones at the official launch.

During alpha/beta, the company informs that they are there to test the game. A stress test, like the many ANet had, are to stress it, as informed by the developers aswell.

A headstart, again, is, by the defenition of the word, an early launch.

Not gonna burst anyone's bubble, but its probably gonna be the same exact thing on the 28th and 27th for hte Pre-orders. 

Again, the launches aren't an issue or a factor in a game's survival, it will always be its contents. And GW2 has contents, even DE that I think is new might be old DE that I just never encounter.

Other major issues usually takes over,

If first day Launch Woes never disappears( means people still use it as an Negative) , then we should be very happy with ANet, because usually by the first week of release, other Major issues would have taken it over. 

So lets hope this is the only issue we will encounter. 

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• chopstix906chopstix906 Member Posts: 60

I get that. It's sort of a gimmick to get people to buy the game early. What I'm saying is that this is probably the most traffic Anet has experienced thus far and have been overwhelmed by it. From what I've heard, they're doing everything in their power to have everything fixed asap. I respect the amount of hard work and dedication they've put into this game as a whole and am willing to forget about this sub par "launch". If we all expected MMO companies to be perfect then no one is ever going to be satisfied.

±MeDiC±

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

Vast majority of players that complain about launch are the in-experienced MMO gamers, they are use to there console gaming.Every BIG MMO that came out, had very similiar issues, but then again, you pple complaining know everything about gaming dont ya:P

Originally posted by vardar
    Vast majority of players that complain about launch are the in-experienced MMO gamers, they are use to there console gaming.Every BIG MMO that came out, had very similiar issues, but then again, you pple complaining know everything about gaming dont ya:P

What are you talking about, People have been bitching forever about 'bad launches" it has nothing to do with 'experienced gamers'.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    RIFT, TOR and TSW had superior pre-order access periods compared to GW2. That is a fact.
  • ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Mouth
    RIFT, TOR and TSW had superior pre-order access periods compared to GW2. That is a fact.

Agreed

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245

The misconception I think most people have is that this is not a launch at all. It's a head start. The point of a head start is to have a smaller number of players to stress test the servers. There are two reasons why it is not going as smoothly as some hoped. 1. Head start is necessary to solve issues before the entire player base starts playing. 2. This is probably the highest population head start of the year. There are a ton of people participating so it's not going to be as smooth as some of the other smaller head starts other games had. Have some patience and understanding. Wait until the actual launch before you criticise.

Bull. The pount of a headstart is marketing to get you to plunk down your cash early. GW2 is launched. Stop making bs excuses.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

people bitch about anything and everything they can no matter what game it is.

also, anyone expecting that a game should have a flawless launch are either new to the genre or one of the people i mentioned in my first sentence.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by vardar

What are you talking about, People have been bitching forever about 'bad launches" it has nothing to do with 'experienced gamers'.

yes and those people never seem to learn, do they?

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by baphamet

people bitch about anything and everything they can no matter what game it is.

also, anyone expecting that a game should have a flawless launch are either new to the genre or one of the people i mentioned in my first sentence.

People defend every action from a soul less corporation as if they are actually vested in the "brand" and feel personally insulted by anyone not willing to look past every flaw- Its pure brainwashing no matter which PR and Marketing team start some hype and buzz and like the pide piper playing the flute for mocking bird fanboys.

Also, anyone pointing out any flaw are either not brainwashed or can see past hype and understand that the second coming isnt really here...

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

pre order is LAUNCH.

only cause its GW2 the game that cures cancer and brings world peace, has fanbois that defend it to no end

these same people bash every other game that comes out.

the GW2 is the worst launch or pre order early access however you want to spin it, in the last 2 yrs

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    game is running pretty smooth right now, at least on Isle of Jantir server. Just finished a couple of hours of play with nary a hiccup, Trading post was not working but in game play was great. Did some WvWvW and PvE in human area and game itsrlf ran great

I miss DAoC

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    People that payed for the headstart in advance should get the money back. If you cant log in and play until the sc "real launch" it could be considered fraud. You are entitled to play. Because you payed for the product. This is no beta and no test...
  • 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by ghaiana
    Originally posted by Mouth

Agreed

They were also bad games.

a yo ho ho

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Seems a bit strange that they should have a reoccurence of a fault that happened in one of the beta weekends, it does kind of imply that they have released too soon, hope this is not due to pressure to maintain a deadline etc.. hope all goes well, because a bad launch isnt something modern MMO's recover from very easily, not these days at least.image

Originally posted by 3-4thElf
    Originally posted by ghaiana Originally posted by Mouth RIFT, TOR and TSW had superior pre-order access periods compared to GW2. That is a fact.
    Agreed
    They were also bad games.

Subjective...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    The real question is why do the same people who won't accept issues at launch, continue to buy games to play at launch? Same issues just about every time. Hence why I always skip them for a week or two.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Phry
    Seems a bit strange that they should have a reoccurence of a fault that happened in one of the beta weekends, it does kind of imply that they have released too soon, hope this is not due to pressure to maintain a deadline etc.. hope all goes well, because a bad launch isnt something modern MMO's recover from very easily, not these days at least.image

Seriously, I would NORMALLY agree with you...But...

The Launch could be horrid for a Month and it does nothing to impede the boxes already sold- And with no sub all that matters is Box Sales.

GW2 did something very clever in essentially over hyping aand marketing a F2P game with cash shop as a "buy to play"- With no sub, a bad launch really wont hurt the game much.

And I LIKE GW2- For what it is. Will be playing to kill a few hours here and there when not playing my main game. I just see lots of people dissapointed since the bought on hype and the product isnt going to deliver what they THINK- But since a box was sold that is all that matters and a success to ANET.

• metal0xmetal0x Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Hurvart
    People that payed for the headstart in advance should get the money back. If you cant log in and play until the sc "real launch" it could be considered fraud. You are entitled to play. Because you payed for the product. This is no beta and no test...

Seems to be alot of this going around... but I mistakenly pre-ordered from gamestop and paid in full. Even the clerk at the desk said I would ge the 3 day head start but still can't log in.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

The Launch could be horrid for a Month and it does nothing to impede the boxes already sold- And with no sub all that matters is Box Sales.

GW2 did something very clever in essentially over hyping aand marketing a F2P game with cash shop as a "buy to play"- With no sub, a bad launch really wont hurt the game much.

And I LIKE GW2- For what it is. Will be playing to kill a few hours here and there when not playing my main game. I just see lots of people dissapointed since the bought on hype and the product isnt going to deliver what they THINK- But since a box was sold that is all that matters and a success to ANET.

there are always those that sit on the fence with the 'wait and see how it goes' attitude, i've been burnt in the past with buying games, last time it was APB.. so much so that no matter how much a game is hyped. i don't buy until after release, im not saying this is another FFXIV moment, but i can see people waiting until they know the game is working fully before buying, which will hurt box sales in the short term. Arenanet needs to totally sort this issue out, as long as it doesnt reoccur, then no problem.. image

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

there are always those that sit on the fence with the 'wait and see how it goes' attitude, i've been burnt in the past with buying games, last time it was APB.. so much so that no matter how much a game is hyped. i don't buy until after release, im not saying this is another FFXIV moment, but i can see people waiting until they know the game is working fully before buying, which will hurt box sales in the short term. Arenanet needs to totally sort this issue out, as long as it doesnt reoccur, then no problem.. image

You and me both buddy =)

But I forsee the real backlash in the coming Month(s) for a variety of reasons which are not worth debating... Suffice it to say I think you and I undestand hype but I think MANY bought this on "HOPE in the HYPE" and are going to be a bit dissapointed in the coming times.

I played Beta and liked it, know P2W items are coming and feel its close now) and see fairly shallow content which is pretty mindless- But to me its a great game to "blow oifff steam" in quick spurts and with no sub I feel it was money well spent.