Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just want to say THANK YOU to ArenaNet!

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I logged on this game last night at about 3 seconds after they opened up the servers and I played for six hours straight before I finally peeled myself away from the game to get some sleep.  I had so much fun it was ridiculous!  

I know some people had problems gettting in the game this morning, but I also know that out of any game company out there, ArenaNet has been working their arses off to prevent and now fix the issues.  I've been gaming online for a couple decades now, and I've seen every type of launch possible.  On the scale of my experience, this is a good launch.  Not great, but all things considered, good.

Considering the number of people I saw playing in the middle of the night (Pacific Time!), and that my server Jade Quarry went from Low population to High in about five minutes after the servers went up, it is no wonder at all why ArenaNet might be getting hit by the ultimate stress test right now.

I want to thank them for that looks like is going to be an amazing ride in this game.  It is clear they have poored their hearts and souls into Guild Wars 2.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

yea can't believe how fast JQ filled up think they got more pre-purchases than expected though but glad game is up.. now I have to go to my daughters friends birthday party so ill be back in Tyria later today!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I bet they're feeling the appreciation, with $3,000 worth of cupcakes headed their way. :D

But I feel you, I've already gotten my moneys worth in the betas and now this is just icing.

By the way, hello from another JQer! Yeah, it was pretty crazy, we were full in what...a half hour? But then the caps went up and all was well. I wonder if it's still full.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

The FI (Fanboy Index) on MMORPG.COM just hitted its all time high.

Calling this a good launch, when all EU players can't log in for most of the day is a new record.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Poison_Adele

I bet they're feeling the appreciation, with $3,000 worth of cupcakes headed their way. :D

But I feel you, I've already gotten my moneys worth in the betas and now this is just icing.

By the way, hello from another JQer! Yeah, it was pretty crazy, we were full in what...a half hour? But then the caps went up and all was well. I wonder if it's still full.

right now there is 2 fulls servers Sea and JQ.. then the rest high with 2 medium and 1 low for US

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Thillian

Calling this a good launch, when all EU players can't log in for most of the day is a new record.

It seems he could play so for him its probably a good launch. 

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    People need to understand, that the game isn´t '' launching '' ... this is a '' head-start '' and is first of all made, to test the servers before launching it. You can´t even '' rate '' Guild Wars 2 launch, becasue it is not out yet and people who have wanted a head-start should have known, that these three days were made to try the servers and solve the issues, or they would have just make the launch 3 days earlier.
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Its a good launch for me as well, but I am in the US, so too bad for the EU, I also heard you guys got the short end of the stick because you have to paid more for pre-purchase. Because in the US we paid for the same amount pre-purchase or not. 

So too bad for the Europeans, I do feel bad for you all, I hope the server is back up for you and that European players can play without any issues now. But because I am in the US, its really hard for any of us to try and see if European server is up. 

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by eGumball
    People need to understand, that the game isn´t '' launching '' ... this is a '' head-start '' and is first of all made, to test the servers before launching it. You can´t even '' rate '' Guild Wars 2 launch, becasue it is not out yet and people who have wanted a head-start should have known, that these three days were made to try the servers and solve the issues, or they would have just make the launch 3 days earlier.

People undestand it well, it is you who need to understand that pre-launch is still a launch.

Pre launch is a benefit for those who pre-ordered (majority of players), it does not serve to TEST the servers.

REALITY CHECK

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Being a 7 year GW vet I coudn't wait until GW2 launched. Now I have a 10 month old and can get barely any time to play. Enjoy everyone! I'll be around when time permits. Thanks ANet for a great game. I only played a little last night but LOVED IT!

People undestand it well, it is you who need to understand that pre-launch is still a launch.

according to? it's A launch but not THE launch.. game launches the 28th

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

People like "gumball" need to understand that today, a head-start is a launch. You get a head-start on the launch. Not the dev, not the beta - the launch product. Do you understand this? TOR did a great launch, TSW did a great launch - but these are pay to play, and that does bring lesser squeeze in the door, I am sure. And I dont care, I think GW2 will be very accessible in a couple of days, but the head-start launch is so far a fail in the EU. 

You saying that GW2 is not yet launched is making me feel sorry for you.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

This isn't beta. The production servers are live. What is so hard to understand ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I actually didn't experience a single problem, so if you want to call me a fanboy, go for it.  I played for six hours, and when I got up four hours later, the servers were up and working fine.

I know some people had problems this morning, but I think you need to get a serious bit of perspective on life.  Everyone would have liked this launch to go off without a hitch, but in my mind it's a good thing, and ANet is already fixing all the problems.  I've seen games where launches went on like this for weeks.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you are so eager to declare "failure", and then later you should laugh at yourself when you consider how wildly popular this game is going to be even despite these tiny early access issues.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    amen Mephster!
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

The servers, client, players, everything you see now will not be wiped on August 28th. This isn't beta or alpha.

In fact, look at the word "headstart". You can call things like early access, head launch, early launch, anything. If the majority of the buyers are already here, which most likely they are like all other mmos, this is the launche time. On August 28th nothing new will happen or change.

Anyway, this isn't about the topic, so, OP, image Happy gaming

If i remember correctly, you're also a fan of TSW and are waiting for The Repopulation. That's alot of stuff to enjoy and if you didn't have problems with the launch, congrats. Enjoy yourself my friend. I'm not going to play GW2 myself, but still image

Pre launch is a benefit for those who pre-ordered (majority of players), it does not serve to TEST the servers. 

REALITY CHECK

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I actually didn't experience a single problem, so if you want to call me a fanboy, go for it.  I played for six hours, and when I got up four hours later, the servers were up and working fine.

I know some people had problems this morning, but I think you need to get a serious bit of perspective on life.  Everyone would have liked this launch to go off without a hitch, but in my mind it's a good thing, and ANet is already fixing all the problems.  I've seen games where launches went on like this for weeks.

Perhaps you should ask yourself while you are so eager to declare "failure", and then later you should laugh at yourself when you consider how wildly popular this game is going to be even despite these tiny early access issues.

Not being able to log in, for the entire day so far, IS a failure. Nice for YOU that you can play but a lot of us other's cannot.

Originally posted by Mephster

This isn't beta. The production servers are live. What is so hard to understand ?

game release date is aug 28th what do you not understand?  pre-access has has always been a bonus for people who paid early nothing more.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

game release date is aug 28th what do you not understand?  pre-access has has always been a bonus for people who paid early nothing more.

Yes a bonus which we dont get. That is called false advertising because the pre-PURCHASE was sold on the premise of head start, which is not happening for lots and lots of people.

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Perhaps you should ask yourself while you are so eager to declare "failure", and then later you should laugh at yourself when you consider how wildly popular this game is going to be even despite these tiny early access issues.

Not being able to log in, for the entire day so far, IS a failure. Nice for YOU that you can play but a lot of us other's cannot.

The "entire day"?  Even if it went down from when I went to bed last night at 4am PST and then was back up at 8am, it would have only been four hours.  How long was the actual down time?  2 hours?  Get a grip.

if you actually believe that your are very dillusional. Of course a game is going to test servers before pre-access but to say pre-access is not a partial test for release day is a joke

Yes a bonus which we dont get. That is called false advertising because the pre-PURCHASE was sold on the premise of head start, which is not happening for lots and lots of people.

where in writing does it say guarnteed 24/7 3 days of play before RELEASE.. no MMO guarntees that even after launch.. please

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

It really doesn't matter if Launch is successful or not, so many games that launched successfully and still wasn't successful and many other games launch was unsuccesssful and still it wasn't successful or was. Its all about the contents in the game when you do log in that matters.

WOW had log in issues, but really , how many remebers it, as long as the game experience was successful and popular then people always forgets the launch issues. 

SWTOR had the loudest Launch problem ever in my experience, I was in the game and still I can see chat discussing the streams and how Bioware was avoiding the launch issues and that the server went down a few times trying to fix the issues. But atm, no one is talking about it, its all about the contents or lack thereof for the contents. 

TSW and TERA had launch issues as well, but still with the today gamer's memory spand, it doesn't really matter anyways, its all about the contents. 

Most players already experienced it in BETA so the content is already there, we know its there so there really is no issue at all. 

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

where in writing does it say guarnteed 24/7 3 days of play before RELEASE.. no MMO guarntees that even after launch.. please

What are you dense? It says clearly on their web page that you get a 3 days head start. Not 1 or 2.5 but THREE. If the game does not allow you to log in then what kind of headstart is it? Headstart for them to get their hands on our money, that's what.

Please uninstall the game and quit playing then.  haaha  Talk about FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.  Go visit your local homeless shelter and get some perspective.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

So headstart is a place to iron out all the last minutes bugs or in this case login and patch sever problems? do you like paying for an unfinished product? do you feel thats a "bonus" as you put it for paying early? I'm sure many others wouldn't put that way.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

This discussion has been closed.