Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mythic wants to make Ultima Online 2

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    I'd want to see what they have in mind before I could decide if it's actually "UO" redone. I'd be very interested if it were in fact that, but I really don't have faith in EA or the rest of this industrial "gamey" fraternity of controlled "fun".

Once upon a time....

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

I feel I strongly need to chime in here with my two bits.

[1] I blame EA, squarely for the downfall and cancellation of numerous games/mmos. Once you add EA into the structure of an MMO it doesn't matter how PASSIONATE a dev team is, they are mid level employees... meaning some jackhole in the top tier who golfs and has never played an MMO makes the final decisions.

[2] Mythic has and still has a ton of passion.. the only difference is they weren't inhibited by EA early on to let their passion shine through in their game development. It doesn't matter how much a dev or that annoying british sounding guy spouts his damn mouth, it only gets so far in the structure. The structure says the masses like dumbed down farm-fest crap, therefore you will get dumbed down farm-fest crap.

[3] Even if Richard Garriot joined the ranks it would only get so far. You need the people with the ideas and the drive for creativity at the top of the pyramid, not in the middle.

[4] If you genuinely ask people who still play UO if they want a UO2. Most say no simply because they have 10+ years into their characters. What they want is an upgraded graphics system, better UI and a few new trinkets to match. I know they came out with kingdom reborn but that wasn't near an upgrade.

[5] We need to put up a fund to make a new project where garriott directs it. We can call it Ultrama Online.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    EA/Mythic/Bioware needs to FOADIAF

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190
    TOA marked Author's turn for the worst.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    After dealing with their last two MMORPGs, NO... Their team simply lacks the talent and vision to create it.  Have you ever listened to them describe how games should be put together in modern times? Their UO would be another generic, lifeless, combat grind oriented themepark with a PVP battleground, too many voice overs, worthless crafting, and no end game.  I have utterly no confidence in them to do UO based on what they do and say. I take no pleasure in writing that either.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

"Support our crappy ARPG Ultima-in-name-only game and maybe we'll get the chance to make UO2!"

Yeah, up yours buddy. Firstly, you massacred the Warhammer IP. Secondly, you aided in massacring (to a lesser extent, admittedly) the Star Wars IP. Thirdly, you're in the act of massacring the Ultima IP...

No. Just no. Go fuck yourselves, Mythic.

Couldnt of said it better myself. Two Thumbs up.

Same here. imageimage

Two more thumbs up. Way up  where the sun don't shine Mythic!

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by rygard49

Why bother making anything. Jeeez guys...

Many people in this forum only want games done on their terms. If they get their wish, we will have no games at all because non will live up to their standards.

Yes, we apologize for having standards.

No no, it's fine for big publishing companies to keep churning out garbage and sticking an air freshener on it.

See... we didn't choose to have standards, we just made the mistake of playing MMOs back when they were still good and we foolishly assumed they'd stay that good.

The game could have the brightest minds, biggest budget, most creative team ever assembled, but you guys already write it off as rubbish before it even gets off the ground. You will never be happy.

Yeah, cause those things worked out SO WELL for SWTOR lmao.

And sure I'll be happy. When devs can live up to the quality of MMOs made by 30 men teams on a shoestring budget in the 90s again, then I'll be happy. Until then, Vanguard will have to do.

So right here, I know that no game will ever live up to your standards, and now I understand exactly why you would desire to stifle a new creative project sight unseen. You're afraid that even with the best and brightest behind the game, it won't be an MMO that you'll want to play.

Here's why I would support this being created:

• It's not my money. I literally lose nothing by lobbying for EA to fund a game done by Mythic.
    • The Ultima IP is owned by EA. No other publisher will be able to create a sequel unless EA sells the IP. I'd rather throw the dice and hope for an awesome UO2 than to sit on my hands wait for that to happen.
    • This doesn't prevent other game companies that are considered "More Worthy" from creating a sequel in spirit. No one has stepped up to the plate thus far with a decent project.

Many people in this forum only want games done on their terms. If they get their wish, we will have no games at all because non will live up to their standards.

No no, it's fine for big publishing companies to keep churning out garbage and sticking an air freshener on it.

See... we didn't choose to have standards, we just made the mistake of playing MMOs back when they were still good and we foolishly assumed they'd stay that good.

The game could have the brightest minds, biggest budget, most creative team ever assembled, but you guys already write it off as rubbish before it even gets off the ground. You will never be happy.

And sure I'll be happy. When devs can live up to the quality of MMOs made by 30 men teams on a shoestring budget in the 90s again, then I'll be happy. Until then, Vanguard will have to do.

So right here, I know that no game will ever live up to your standards, and now I understand exactly why you would desire to stifle a new creative project sight unseen. You're afraid that even with the best and brightest behind the game, it won't be an MMO that you'll want to play.

Here's why I would support this being created:

• It's not my money. I literally lose nothing by lobbying for EA to fund a game done by Mythic.
    • The Ultima IP is owned by EA. No other publisher will be able to create a sequel unless EA sells the IP. I'd rather throw the dice and hope for an awesome UO2 than to sit on my hands wait for that to happen.
    • This doesn't prevent other game companies that are considered "More Worthy" from creating a sequel in spirit. No one has stepped up to the plate thus far with a decent project.

Don't you ever use the words new or creative to describe a EA/Mythic title. It makes you look like a complete tool.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Scot

The MMO genre has been hoisted on the petard of better graphics, so doubt a small man team will make a mainstream MMO again.

I don’t think Mythic were as bad as some are making out here, but not good enough to get my unequivocal support either.

An MMO doesn't need cutting edge graphics. WoW lookslike garbage but people play it.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    After dealing with their last two MMORPGs, NO... Their team simply lacks the talent and vision to create it.

Last two MMOs? WAR and DAoC? DAoC was amazing.

Incorrect, if any of the people originally behind DAoC or UO1 were making this game, and EA was involved, I'd be excited. But neither of those things are true.

Here is what I do know. EA has never made a good MMO. Their most recent four Ultima games were complete and total garbage.

So excuse me for not getting excited.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

The MMO genre has been hoisted on the petard of better graphics, so doubt a small man team will make a mainstream MMO again.

I don’t think Mythic were as bad as some are making out here, but not good enough to get my unequivocal support either.

An MMO doesn't need cutting edge graphics. WoW lookslike garbage but people play it.

After dealing with their last two MMORPGs, NO... Their team simply lacks the talent and vision to create it.

Incorrect, if any of the people originally behind DAoC or UO1 were making this game, and EA was involved, I'd be excited. But neither of those things are true.

Here is what I do know. EA has never made a good MMO. Their most recent four Ultima games were complete and total garbage.

I agree...But the very mention of UO 2 stirs something of excitment in my bones.

As much as I hate EA I would probably give this a shot knowing its going to fall short but still (possibly) surpassing the current sandbox attempts we currently have.

UUoUU

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

those guys are making TESO.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

well i believe EA owns UO...so youll have to dance with the devil no matter what to play UO2.

id say give them a shot...worst case scenario ...i dont play it.

• Originally posted by rungard

well i believe EA owns UO...so youll have to dance with the devil no matter what to play UO2.

id say give them a shot...worst case scenario ...i dont play it.

Pretty zen approach. I approve.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Everything EA "owns" eventually comes out the EA poop machine completely tarnished, so it is automatically doomed anyways. Have at it Mythic.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Originally posted by doragon86
    As much as I would like to see a UO2, after what Mythic did with WAR, I'd prefer they not bother. 

Blame EA, not Mythic.

Originally posted by Brixon
    Even the old Mythic couldn't be trusted, look how they screwed up DAoC.

DAoC didn't truly go down the tubes until EA bought them.

It's really sad that the company behind one of the best designed MMos in the history of the genre... now has its name forever laughed at because of EA and WAR.

Actually Mark "The Shitstain" Jacobs was already destroying DAoC before EA bought Mythic. Jacobs created his worthless pile of garbage expansions calle Trials of Shit, and Shit Frontiers. Those 2 worthless expansions were killing DAoC long before Mythic sold out to EA. The Lancelot server that I played on lost around half its playerbase within 3 months of Shit Frontiers. Nobody liked that crap.

Actually, New Frontiers was quite popular and well recieved by the majority of the community. ToA was not. Hence why the classic servers came into being. Mythic was planning both a true classic server (roll back to pre SI) and a sequel, but EA canned both projects when they bought Mythic.

IF Shit Frontiers was so well recieved by the majority of the players then why did it end up losing about 70% of its population within months of its release?

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    As much as I would like to see a UO2, after what Mythic did with WAR, I'd prefer they not bother. 

Blame EA, not Mythic.

It's really sad that the company behind one of the best designed MMos in the history of the genre... now has its name forever laughed at because of EA and WAR.

Actually Mark "The Shitstain" Jacobs was already destroying DAoC before EA bought Mythic. Jacobs created his worthless pile of garbage expansions calle Trials of Shit, and Shit Frontiers. Those 2 worthless expansions were killing DAoC long before Mythic sold out to EA. The Lancelot server that I played on lost around half its playerbase within 3 months of Shit Frontiers. Nobody liked that crap.

Actually, New Frontiers was quite popular and well recieved by the majority of the community. ToA was not. Hence why the classic servers came into being. Mythic was planning both a true classic server (roll back to pre SI) and a sequel, but EA canned both projects when they bought Mythic.

As a former DAOC player I can attest to this. New Fronteirs was the "good" expansion. It was very well received.  TOA was not and created a bigger grindfest. People didnt want to grind, they wanted to PvP and fight in Darkness Falls (which was a GREAT concept)

Of course once EA comes along, they stop anything thats an improvement. In this case, its the rollback to classic.

Idk where you got that 70% number. I doubt its legit. I played the game.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Ugh, stop moaning like some hurt teenagers.  What do you have to lose to make you snub the idea of a UO2?  Who cares if you don't like the company.  There may be a slight chance that you will like the game, and you don't want it created because you don't like the companies behind it?  Like I said before, you're not losing anything, let them make it, if it's bad don't play it... 

At the very least it would be interesting to see how it turns out.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

those guys are making TESO.

No, only ONE of those guys is making TESO. Sadly, its not enough. He sounds like he's doing the RvR right, but the PvE sounds absolutely awful. The guy preached about the virtues of open dungeons (which I agree with) then in the same breath talks about how TESO will have phasing and instanced storylines.

THEY DO NOT WORK TOGETHER>

Blame EA, not Mythic.

IF Shit Frontiers was so well recieved by the majority of the players then why did it end up losing about 70% of its population within months of its release?

Because Trials of Atlantis came out around the same time and people hated it?

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

If they want to remain true to the spirit of Ultima then i'm all for it.

If however they want to include elves, ninja's, goofy weapons with a million edges, or armor that makes you look like a cross between a power ranger and a hummer, then i'm definitely against it. image

Originally posted by Indol

If they want to remain true to the spirit of Ultima then i'm all for it.

If however they want to include elves, ninja's, goofy weapons with a million edges, or armor that makes you look like a cross between a power ranger and a hummer, then i'm definitely against it. image

You mean, the stuff that EA Bioware and Mythic have alreadyed added to original UO?