Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: August 28th = Everything

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you've been checking on big releases for some of your favorite MMOs, you've already noticed that August 28th is a banner day. Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and The Secret World, to name a few, all have big plans for the 28th. In the latest Very Scary column, we take a look at that day and what it all means. Read on!

August 28th is quickly approaching. At first we thought we would be freely frolicking in the fields of Tyria with a frenzy of feline friends, but before we could say, “SKAA-Massengill”, the pandas plopped a 5.0 fanatic Pokemon fighter on us. What were we thinking to think Guild Wars 2 could get out of the gates without a fight from the bloated, Blizzard bear? The MMO business is not for the weak or hairless Gremlins; it’s like a steel cage UFC MMA fight… to the death. We all know MMO companies have a secret fight club they beat the crap out of each other for release dates.

Read more of Scary Booster's Very Scary: August 28th = Everything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    maybe the maians miscaluclated sth and it aint december after all!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Thane
    maybe the maians miscaluclated sth and it aint december after all!

You dont quietly end the world.... you build up to it. This is just the beginning....            of the end.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

August 28th is simply the last release Tuesday in Q3...there is no conspiracy.

("Nothing personal, ArenaNet, it's just business.")

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Thikn they all moved their released 4 months earlier, just incase the Mayans were right about December 21th :p
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Naevius

This makes the most sense.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

My birthday is the reason why. :D  Everything is epic on my birthday.

BOOYAKA!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

There's no conspiracy, everyone that follows events knows that Blizzard deliberately targeted the GW2 launch date to draw attention away from its launch as it sees it as its biggest competitor this year.

A simple business decision.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

OT: Where did the "Sh*t just got real!" come from? Every time I see it, it makes me laugh and I have no clue why.

Edit: Really enjoyed the article. The visuals you gave me will haunt me for quite some time. I think that's a sign of good journalism, when you can scar someone and make them laugh at the same time...

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    How to sensationalise the MMO release dates. It's 2 games not WW3 breaking out. And 1 of them has no sub. PLAY BOTH! But please stop making this out to be some big all out war between evil mega-corporations.
  • ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

You know What? I didnt have a clue what was coming out on 28th till I read this... Now I know I still could'nt give a dog's diddler.. 

:)

• MykaiMykai Member Posts: 13

You do realize that Q3 includes September, right?

• dalestaines1dalestaines1 Member Posts: 107
    i've always thought it was stupid to put things on the same day. If they spread it out from others then they'd have a bigger base of people who don't want to buy 2 things at the same time.  For consumers, it's more exciting to have new things coming out periodically than once or twice a year having everything on the same day. 

• SahuaromanSahuaroman Member Posts: 1
    this is a load of garbage really, Guild Wars 2 is a "pay to win" game?.."no end game"? REALLY?!! perhaps you shoud read a little about the game you are going to critizice before talking about it, because if you did you wouldn't be posting these lies about a game that is way more solid than others out there, yes I am talking about a game that is so desperate to get players back that introduces pandas as a playable race..nothing wrong with being a WoW fan boy/girl, just put down games without knowing the first thing about them. 
  • Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104

I think this good compitiion between the companies will make both games better, because they'll be more focused on how to keep us with their game. And not so much on how to squeeze every last dime out of us. Yeah, I know this opinion is mostly garabage, but there's some truth in what I said.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

GW2 was all like "Yeah, my birthday is the 28th!" and WoW was all like "FU, I got pandas comming the 28th" and TSW said "Can I play with you guys, I'm having a tea party the 28th" and WoW and GW2 were all like FTL oO... 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Roman291
    I think this good compitiion between the companies will make both games better, because they'll be more focused on how to keep us with their game. And not so much on how to squeeze every last dime out of us. Yeah, I know this opinion is mostly garabage, but there's some truth in what I said.    

Except that Blizzard doesn't sem to have the creativity or any vision beyond their short sighted greed to make anything "better"

Beyond that, they have painted themselves into a corner with WoW. I don't know how they could ever undo the damage they have done to their own title.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I don't see how having the most successful MMO ever made, and probably the most profitable game ever are bad...but the spin doctors of this site (the users not Bill and the gang) will tell us otherwise.

GW2 will be a good game, and I'll be playing it, but I'll also be playing WoW also.  I have a feeling that alot of people are going to be disappointed, just like every other MMO released within the last year.  People over-hype the game, then it could never live up to that hype.

Edit: If you enter the game without a preconcieved notion, there are alot of MMOs that are listed as "failures" that are actually pretty good.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Interesting read. But all in all this date will stayin people's thoughts for quite some time.  

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

In two months, the biggest compliment people will have for GW2 is "most hyped game ever".

Disaster is inevitable. The resulting implosion when people realize how fast they'll get burned out is probably going to consume the internet, and compress it into a ball of dark matter that eats earth.

Sigh. At least the collapse of GW2 will mean less crappy generic fantasy art direction/ worlds in the future. And hopefully people will be so sick of fairies that new "Elder Scrolls"-wannabe-but-not-anything-like-Elder-Scrolls MMO won't sell a single copy.

• VolarinVolarin Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Cantorage

In two months, the biggest compliment people will have for GW2 is "most hyped game ever".

Disaster is inevitable. The resulting implosion when people realize how fast they'll get burned out is probably going to consume the internet, and compress it into a ball of dark matter that eats earth.

Sigh. At least the collapse of GW2 will mean less crappy generic fantasy art direction/ worlds in the future. And hopefully people will be so sick of fairies that new "Elder Scrolls"-wannabe-but-not-anything-like-Elder-Scrolls MMO won't sell a single copy.

Absa-F-ing-lootly you speak sense Mister. Trouble is people are so blinkard they think WOW and EQ2 and now this new GW2 are the way MMO games should be. Wow in particular is responsible for the retardation of the MMO genre for near 8 years!

There are some good MMOs out there though and a few near release. Eve is as awesome as ever, we have PlanetSide 2 and then some new interesting games like The Repopulation and others.

What makes me laugh is when I hear about how original GW2 is and unique and exciting features .... LOL I mean come on!! How many ways can you serve up the same burger before people get sick of the meat regardless of the sauce you put onto?

I tried SWTOR the other month .... seriously this is meant to be a modern game? How come it plays the exact same way as EQ1 did ten years ago then?

Anyway leave this crap for the idiots to lap up, I wonder if GW2 will still have the same interest that games like Eve Online have 9 years after release? Answer - not a chance in hell!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

For those of you trying to stretch your gaming hours, my sympathies.  Me, don't intend to play any of them ATM, I am locked in leveling an avatar in Lotro and of course have weekend tskirmishes planned for Eve.

I will probably get GW2, but I do not see myself reentering Wow again and I just do not play Funcom games anymore.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Sahuaroman
    this is a load of garbage really, Guild Wars 2 is a "pay to win" game?.."no end game"? REALLY?!! perhaps you shoud read a little about the game you are going to critizice before talking about it, because if you did you wouldn't be posting these lies about a game that is way more solid than others out there, yes I am talking about a game that is so desperate to get players back that introduces pandas as a playable race..nothing wrong with being a WoW fan boy/girl, just put down games without knowing the first thing about them. 

Well they already have bulls as a playable race, why not pandas??....Maybe kung fu panda really inspired them or something....And don't even link TSW with these 2 games.....Its already peaked at 350k and will decline faster than Tabula Rasa most likely.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Felines, panda's... what is this crap... for the love of god, Ps2 can't come quick enough to show people what true epic online play is. :)
  • SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195
    The human  race would probably have the Moon completely colonized by now, and Mars Terraformed, if it spent less time ******* with each other.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Don't care about Guild Wars 2 but The Walking Dead Season 2 and Boardlwalk Empire Season 2 came out today on the 28th on Blue-Ray !!!