Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by vmoped
    [mod edit]

-1 for inaccurate information (its headstart, not launch mate)

I have patience so it isnt a big deal but lets not kid ourselves. Headstart is the new launch these days .... and with less people.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by fat_taddler
    It actually makes me appreciate the SWTOR launch

The Prophets of Doom verbiage sounds almost identical, in fact.

Every day's a tempest in a teapot, here at mmorpg.com.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• strumpfstrumpf Member Posts: 13

Yeah it is. Of course, there haven't been that many launches, but that's besides the point.

As for this not being launch or "all MMOs have problems", whatever makes you feel better, even though the first is just marketing and the second is just not true when it comes to this issue, plenty of headstarts went fine. Besides, they could have known the number of users they were dealing with, that's the point of the prepurchase and registration. They were still stress testing only a few days ago. Still they were not prepared.

More importantly however, it's the first broken promise. Now I will agree that to a certain extent you'll run into those with every game, but they promised big and their fanboys made everything even bigger. Those are the things that decide a game's future, we'll see how well they do on the other ones, but it's not a great start.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by GeezerGamer Let's all cut the nonsense. ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver. In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days. Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths. And this one is that ANET took money for something they FAILED to deliver. That is still FAIL!
    Not to be rude, but people need to use common sense. You only have a certain amount of servers and tens of thousands of people are rushing to login and play. It is impossible for it to work that way! 

You say then, "just add more servers"! Well that sounds awesome, but there are other things involved. Not only the money for the servers but the big fact is that once the population levels out, what happens to the playerbase on each server? What next then? Well you have to then start shutting down and combining servrers. Players get upset, you lose money from the initial server setup and everyone loses. Or, here is the sensible thing, you project what you need in a week or two, and work from there. 

Understand something.This.....is not my problem. That's all logistics. It's ANET's problem. That's all their is to it. For them to sell this product, all that logistics stuff you mentioned is something they needed to have already figured out. That is part of doing business.

They sold it and we don't have it. Why is this a hard concept?

Not hard to conceive my friend, I'm just presenting a logical sensible reason, not an answer to something I am not in charge of. If you want to be upset with how things are that is fine, it bothers me none. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by ScribZ
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Man the sense of entitlement is hysterical. The games been up for 9 hours now and I played for 5 of them earlier before getting off for sleep and I pop in to see someone claiming this is the worst launch of 2012? I won't claim it was a perfect start because I wasn't able to join up with the wife when she was on, but lets try to keep the rage to a rational level. I don't know how long the game has been busted, but I know I got plenty of playtime and it was sweet. 

Yup... I remember when wow started... Anyone else remember not being able to kill the boars cause of lag, or waiting as much as an hour for your quest mob cause other people were camping it? Not to mention the constant disconnects, guild and party problems, lag...

I remember wackin on a node of copper, bending over to pick it up and never standing up again, never getting the ore, and then never being able to loot anything else until I logged out and back in again. This didnt just happen the first day of WoW launch either, it continued for near a month. But that was ok, since we had so many days of not even being able to stay connected that Blizz gave us all free months to hang around so they had time to fix stuff.

Don;t worry, I am sure ANet will give us free months too, just like Blizz did.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Server down for 3 hours on first day of highly anticipated game...

MMORPG says: WORST MMO LAUNCH EVA????

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by NetSage
    All those saying patience stop.  Not all of have all the time in the world to just play a game.  If I didn't have to go to work today I might agree with you.  But, I paid for early access and I'm not getting.  I thought everything would be fine since people were playing when I got home from work last night.  So let the downloader finish while I'm sleeping to find out I can't log in and then I see it's not just me.

Really? I paid for the game. Didn't know they had a separate price they listed early access. Last time I thought if you just bought the game before release, early access is a benefit. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by Khondor
    It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.

O RLY!?

So by your logic that means A-net is using their most hardcore fans as guinea pigs and is making them pay for the pleasure of getting shat upon. What a BRILLIANT fucking marketing strategy.

Face facts guys this is a direct result of how popular the game is. Any big game will get overwhelmed the first day, been seeing this shit since the launch of SWG. Although massively entertaining for those of us who aren't playing, the people nerd raging at this are only hurting themselves. Give them some time, they'll get your precious game up and running soon enough.

Until then . . .

You know its a pretty sad fucking day when someone like ME becomes the voice of reason around here.

LMAO!!! You know what, I'm tired, didn't get much sleep, and I'm kind of grouchy. That last sentenced perked me right up!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153
    No, far from it. Now TOR, that was terrible. Log in, nobody else is there yet /who claims there's hundreds in the zone. That'assuming you could log in, or make it past the queue.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Man the sense of entitlement is hysterical. The games been up for 9 hours now and I played for 5 of them earlier before getting off for sleep and I pop in to see someone claiming this is the worst launch of 2012? I won't claim it was a perfect start because I wasn't able to join up with the wife when she was on, but lets try to keep the rage to a rational level. I don't know how long the game has been busted, but I know I got plenty of playtime and it was sweet. 

Yup... I remember when wow started... Anyone else remember not being able to kill the boars cause of lag, or waiting as much as an hour for your quest mob cause other people were camping it? Not to mention the constant disconnects, guild and party problems, lag...

I remember wackin on a node of copper, bending over to pick it up and never standing up again, never getting the ore, and then never being able to loot anything else until I logged out and back in again. This didnt just happen the first day of WoW launch either, it continued for near a month. But that was ok, since we had so many days of not even being able to stay connected that Blizz gave us all free months to hang around so they had time to fix stuff.

I see what you did there...

Unless, of course, you were serious.  In which case, I bonk thee over thine head.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

I give it F2P in 3 months TOPS, ohh wait LOL Nm

maybe thats why they can't afford server support , no sub fee , I see the devs now " Hey jim , how about ordering these servers? " Na those are too exspensive, remember we are dealing with  F2P Players after all " Ahh yeah sorry I forgot, we'll order 5 $100 buck servers that should get their panties in a twist " .

LOL Sorry guys I had too bad joke I know :P

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Khondor
    It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.

O RLY!?

*snip*

So by your logic that means A-net is using their most hardcore fans as guinea pigs and is making them pay for the pleasure of getting shat upon. What a BRILLIANT fucking marketing strategy.

Face facts guys this is a direct result of how popular the game is. Any big game will get overwhelmed the first day, been seeing this shit since the launch of SWG. Although massively entertaining for those of us who aren't playing, the people nerd raging at this are only hurting themselves. Give them some time, they'll get your precious game up and running soon enough.

Until then . . .

*snip*

You know its a pretty sad fucking day when someone like ME becomes the voice of reason around here.

major kudos for trying to instill some sense of perspective in this little flame war. too bad no one will listen. (also major kudos for extremely apt use of the princess bride.)

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    first off, diablo is'nt a open world mmorpg with 1,000s of players running around, gw2 has way more players than tera and, tsw so the servers are FULL and LAGGY, so calm down and be patience please.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Khondor It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.
      O RLY!? 

Face facts guys this is a direct result of how popular the game is. Any big game will get overwhelmed the first day, been seeing this shit since the launch of SWG. Although massively entertaining for those of us who aren't playing, the people nerd raging at this are only hurting themselves. Give them some time, they'll get your precious game up and running soon enough.Until then . . .

This is a question of accountability. And this community isn't going to make it better. By not holding ANET accountable, We are making it OK for the next company to come along and take a squat in our Corn Flakes and then try to charge us for the added content.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Well it has only been down for a couple of hours on it's initial day. I wouldn't go as far as saying I am owed something because of it. Some people are making it sound worse than it is. If the game is down all day I can see this level of animosity, but I fail to understand why so many are claiming they are owed compensation already. GW2 has been live less than 10 hours and a couple of them have been down. I fail to see the need for mass panic on the scale we are seeing. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Oh man.... I'm amazed on how many people that neither purchased, nor played the game at all gathered infos here and there from single threads, put them together and jumped right into the hating so they can some excitement in their lifes.

Seriously guys, if you didn't play then do us all a favor and keep your "ha has" and other comments for you or go find a new hobby or put the time into the game you are playing instead of coming here to show us proof of a "failed launch" among other ridicoulos statements you are spreading only to poison others peoples excitement.

As about issues:

- they gave us 3 hours prior to the headstart while the counter were still going so it was obvious that in these 3 hours they will keep working on the game (which they did since I had to download 2 patches).

- I already created 5 characters, my main is level 6, I played pve and world vs world vs world and had only 2 disconnects in between because they dropped the server to work on it.

That all on the jade quarry server which was the one of the two servers that had the heaviest load to carry.

Should I add I'm from EU and had barely any lag at all on this US server?

Created my guild aswell and added the first 7-8 people.

Played from the 3 hours prior to headstart which was 6am for me till 3pm with only 3-4 disconnections in overall.

Stopped after cause I needed a pause.

My HoM worked perfectly btw.

If someone doesnt have their portal stone you can get it from the charr npc at the hooligan route that is a kama merchant (need to click on his second bag and you'll get it for zero coins).

After you use the stone you will end up in your main hall in which all terrestrial pets you unlocked from GW1 can be charmed.

If you go to the back side you will see the pool of wisdom from EotN and the underwater pets in it.

There is Kirmes the historian (his ghost) that has all the weapons, armors and mini pets you unlocked.

The PvE ones are skins you can apply on any of your weapons (needs to be same type of course) while the pvp ones are for level 80 characters.

Gonna login later again so see you in game.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

I thought the actual "Launch" went pretty smooth, got in right away at midnight, made my character, played till about 5 am with no problems at all, no lag, no downtime.  It's too be expected with any launch guys, biggest hyped MMO in years, even more hyped than SWTOR was.

You have to consider I, like many others, more than you think, chose to not play the BWE's in order to experience the game fresh at launch, so there was an even bigger load than the BWE's.

I was quite happy with the performance on my lower end video card, no lag, no fps issues or overheating, quite impressed and looks like this is my new home until Planetside 2!

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

Unless, of course, you were serious.  In which case, I bonk thee over thine head.

Yeah, and have you seen the lag on mmorpg.com this morning? They don't even have the excuse of it being a launch... What is their excuse?

As for GW2... If they don't shape up I foresee this game totally going F2P within the year. :p

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

How many hits per hour do you suppose this generates for our favorite MMO site?

You can just feeeeel the net bogged down, even before you hit "post".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

THAT... is so true!!!

Just kidding Tard... you are often a voice of (snarky) reason! :D 

(and that is meant as a compliment!)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

This is a question of accountability. And this community isn't going to make it better. By not holding ANET accountable, We are making it OK for the next company to come along and take a squat in our Corn Flakes and then try to charge us for the added content.

Case and point.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by Khondor It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.
      O RLY!? 

Face facts guys this is a direct result of how popular the game is. Any big game will get overwhelmed the first day, been seeing this shit since the launch of SWG. Although massively entertaining for those of us who aren't playing, the people nerd raging at this are only hurting themselves. Give them some time, they'll get your precious game up and running soon enough.Until then . . .

Yeah but does it pay for better server support? Because if it does ohhh boy we may have to work something out LOL

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Preacher26

I logged in @ 12:00am EST (3 hours prior to official head start) and the game was running very smooth. Played for 3 hours and logged off. I had no issues at all.

Woke up to get back in and it seems the witch hunt is on. How do people not understand how launches work by now?

Even your beloved WoW had a ton of downtime at launch.

People are annoying.

+1

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    So i guess lessons are learned that it was not a good idea to flame every other MMO that released in past 2 years or so by GW2 fans.

Its known as... Poetic Justice.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by BartDaCat

Yeah, and have you seen the lag on mmorpg.com this morning? They don't even have the excuse of it being a launch... What is their excuse?

As for GW2... If they don't shape up I foresee this game totally going F2P within the year. :p

WHOA That right there sir is copy righted!!!! I already used that a page back ,.... or was it two? LOL

This discussion has been closed.