Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

Comments

• bladedancerbladedancer Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Considering the game has'nt been launched yet, today is only the headstart for people who prepurchased, so I'd say no, it is not the worst launch "yet". Patience is a virtue :)

Peter Griffin: you know those germans, if you dont join the party, they?ll come get ya

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Let's all cut the nonsense.

ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver.

In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days.

Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths.

And this one is that ANET took money for something they FAILED to deliver.

That is still FAIL!

Not to be rude, but people need to use common sense. You only have a certain amount of servers and tens of thousands of people are rushing to login and play. It is impossible for it to work that way! 

You say then, "just add more servers"! Well that sounds awesome, but there are other things involved. Not only the money for the servers but the big fact is that once the population levels out, what happens to the playerbase on each server? What next then? Well you have to then start shutting down and combining servrers. Players get upset, you lose money from the initial server setup and everyone loses. Or, here is the sensible thing, you project what you need in a week or two, and work from there. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    Can not at all log in now. What did i pay for when i preordered? Frustration it seems, as ncdoft in their wisdow did not limit preorder sales. Greed leads to the preorder customers sugfering. Official word from ncdoft on facebook is that they are having "issues". Will be intersting to see if sorted for when us wakes up, soon.
  • GrudakGrudak Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Khondor
    It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.

The game has launched. I know people who have played it including myself. Buying into their marketing gimmick of "early access" as an excuse for a poor launch is ridiculous.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by steeler989
    IT IS NOT EVEN THE REAL LAUNCH YOU FARTCLOUD

its amazing how successful marketing schemes are at fooling the public.

I mean are you actually saying headstart is beta? Because that is the only way that your logic makes any sense to me.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• agusliemagusliem Member Posts: 5
    Seems it will take a while for them to fix the problems.... It's still a good game, Give them a chance folks, maybe we will get companse for this lolx... Hope they will give 2x exp bonus XD XD

Real Gamer never use CHEAT

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by oti32123
    [mod edit]

- Played from launch until a few hrs ago non stop with no problem.

-Lie or exaduration.

- lol It happons at every big MMO launch.

-You know they linked their accounts and went through the starting area then?

-I made 5 alts never d/c from the game.

-They are on twitter updating every 30 min to an hr on what's going on so that's another lie.

-Get better internet.

-Didn't bother joining a Guild yet.

-Didn't try.

-Some servers prehaps, but not mine or my overflow.

-It has been pretty smooth but you can't plan ahead for everything.

-Server is screwed up der.

-Their fault.

This is the only big MMO that has lauched this year so that is a stupid question.

And no, I'm not going to fix any of my typos, misspellings, or grammar because I'm too tired from all the GW2 I played last night .

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Man the sense of entitlement is hysterical. The games been up for 9 hours now and I played for 5 of them earlier before getting off for sleep and I pop in to see someone claiming this is the worst launch of 2012? I won't claim it was a perfect start because I wasn't able to join up with the wife when she was on, but lets try to keep the rage to a rational level. I don't know how long the game has been busted, but I know I got plenty of playtime and it was sweet. 

Yup... I remember when wow started... Anyone else remember not being able to kill the boars cause of lag, or waiting as much as an hour for your quest mob cause other people were camping it? Not to mention the constant disconnects, guild and party problems, lag...

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

You'd think this was the first time a MMO had a difficult launch due to it being so popular that servers couldn't handle the initial load of eager fans, or something...

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    [mod edit]

Lol..are you sure you are not Otinanai?because the last thread of you err* otinanai it was about mmorpg mods are Gw2 fans..

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Scumbag Guild Wars 2. Worst MMO launch 3 days before it launches.

People need to calm down and accept that this is how MMO releases work. You have the next many years to play GW2, simmer down and take a bath while we wait for servers to be up again.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.

Genius, They have head starts so they can take your money in advance.

Head start is a launch - at least in EVERY mmo that i have done it with (RIFT, SWTOR, etc.). The MAIN reason that I pre-purchased the game was to get into the game early. No I am not happy. I can sympathize with Anet somewhat but I am still not happy.

Well, I am a little happy. The GW2 fanboys are really taking hits now. I like the game too but the rabid fanboys were un-bearable. I feel guilty but I am enjoying the fanboys being defensive. Shame on me!

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by steeler989
    IT IS NOT EVEN THE REAL LAUNCH YOU FARTCLOUD

I 'lol' to the most random things...

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Pretty much the worst MMO launch of the year, yeah. To think I paid an extra 15euros to play the headstart (prepurchase is 55euro, whereas the box without headstart is 40euro). I'm starting to want my money back..
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    Man the sense of entitlement is hysterical. The games been up for 9 hours now and I played for 5 of them earlier before getting off for sleep and I pop in to see someone claiming this is the worst launch of 2012? I won't claim it was a perfect start because I wasn't able to join up with the wife when she was on, but lets try to keep the rage to a rational level. I don't know how long the game has been busted, but I know I got plenty of playtime and it was sweet. 

Yup... I remember when wow started... Anyone else remember not being able to kill the boars cause of lag, or waiting as much as an hour for your quest mob cause other people were camping it? Not to mention the constant disconnects, guild and party problems, lag...

Vanilla WoW's initial launch was a friggin' pain in the ass; massive lag, hyper-extended queue times, continual patches and downtimes while they improved the infrastructure...

This is nothing.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer Let's all cut the nonsense. ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver. In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days. Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths. And this one is that ANET took money for something they FAILED to deliver. That is still FAIL!
    Not to be rude, but people need to use common sense. You only have a certain amount of servers and tens of thousands of people are rushing to login and play. It is impossible for it to work that way! 

You say then, "just add more servers"! Well that sounds awesome, but there are other things involved. Not only the money for the servers but the big fact is that once the population levels out, what happens to the playerbase on each server? What next then? Well you have to then start shutting down and combining servrers. Players get upset, you lose money from the initial server setup and everyone loses. Or, here is the sensible thing, you project what you need in a week or two, and work from there. 

Understand something.This.....is not my problem. That's all logistics. It's ANET's problem. That's all their is to it. For them to sell this product, all that logistics stuff you mentioned is something they needed to have already figured out. That is part of doing business.

They sold it and we don't have it. Why is this a hard concept?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah this sucks, might go back to sleep...

But I already got a good chunk of time in, got my Guardian up to level 10... hopefully they'll be back up in the next few hours.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

Vannila WoW's initial launch was a friggin' pain in the ass; massive lag, hyper-extended queue times, continual patches and downtimes while they improved the infrastructure...

This is nothing.

That was 8 years ago. Comparing GW2 with an 8 year old launch doesn't make GW2 look good if that is what you are trying to do here.

Bite Me

• DularakiDularaki Member Posts: 4
    I would be concerned about the headstart issue if it would have any affect on the inevitable success of this game....but we all know it will not. Reveiw scores will still be high, people will still buy it, and all of us are still going to play it. 
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Also this. :3

Originally posted by Tardcore
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    All those saying patience stop.  Not all of have all the time in the world to just play a game.  If I didn't have to go to work today I might agree with you.  But, I paid for early access and I'm not getting.  I thought everything would be fine since people were playing when I got home from work last night.  So let the downloader finish while I'm sleeping to find out I can't log in and then I see it's not just me.
  • ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

I remember wackin on a node of copper, bending over to pick it up and never standing up again, never getting the ore, and then never being able to loot anything else until I logged out and back in again. This didnt just happen the first day of WoW launch either, it continued for near a month. But that was ok, since we had so many days of not even being able to stay connected that Blizz gave us all free months to hang around so they had time to fix stuff.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by agusliem
    Seems it will take a while for them to fix the problems.... It's still a good game, Give them a chance folks, maybe we will get companse for this lolx... Hope they will give 2x exp bonus XD XD

There is no excuse for that type of problems. Most companies know how to prevent them. But few wants to spend enough money to do that. That is the sad truth... They know that millions will try to log in and play at the same time the first days...

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

O RLY!?

So by your logic that means A-net is using their most hardcore fans as guinea pigs and is making them pay for the pleasure of getting shat upon. What a BRILLIANT fucking marketing strategy.

Face facts guys this is a direct result of how popular the game is. Any big game will get overwhelmed the first day, been seeing this shit since the launch of SWG. Although massively entertaining for those of us who aren't playing, the people nerd raging at this are only hurting themselves. Give them some time, they'll get your precious game up and running soon enough.

Until then . . .

You know its a pretty sad fucking day when someone like ME becomes the voice of reason around here.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

This discussion has been closed.