Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paid extra for this early start

2»

Comments

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

On guild wars 2 site digital edition prepurchase is 49.99 £ while on amazon.co.uk is 34.97 £ so yes,people who got the pre purchase edition payed extra for a game they have problems playing.Good thing that after so many mmos disappointments I didn't tried to play in early launch because I would have been annoyed like so many people which payed more for a game and can't log in.Funny how some people can find so many problems with other games but when is about gw they are ready to defend a poor prepared launch.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Raven
    Originally posted by Urko
    It aint about the time , its an extra £15 roughly i paid to play on the 25th and i cant.

That's quite a lie you put up there, or some local reseller did rip you off. ArenaNet did sell GW2 both pre-purchase and regular edition for the same price.

It is roughly 15 quid more for the digital pre purchase than it is for the standard boxed edition with 1 day headstart only.

Standard edition £34.97 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Wars-Standard-Edition-DVD/dp/B007YZ5B0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345897973&sr=8-1

You get exactly the same thing except for 15 quid more you get to play 3 days before everyone else instead of 1. 

Funny that you're NOT showing the rest of the page there. Right above this part there stands:

All Pre-Purchase editions include these exclusive bonuses:

Three days of Headstart Access
    Hero’s Band

Looks like you just picked the wrong box and now blame ArenaNet for it :D

Think you are missing the OP's point.  He has the pre-purchase, but could have got the standard edition £15 cheaper.  He paid the extra because he wanted to be in the head start.  Which he currently can't play, due to the technical issues.

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by eldaris

On guild wars 2 site digital edition prepurchase is 49.99 £ while on amazon.co.uk is 34.97 £ so yes,people who got the pre purchase edition payed extra for a game they have problems playing.Good thing that after so many mmos disappointments I didn't tried to play in early launch because I would have been annoyed like so many people which payed more for a game and can't log in.Funny how some people can find so many problems with other games but when is about gw they are ready to defend a poor prepared launch.

Another who sees the light , cheers :)

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Raven
    It aint about the time , its an extra £15 roughly i paid to play on the 25th and i cant.

That's quite a lie you put up there, or some local reseller did rip you off. ArenaNet did sell GW2 both pre-purchase and regular edition for the same price.

It is roughly 15 quid more for the digital pre purchase than it is for the standard boxed edition with 1 day headstart only.

Standard edition £34.97 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Wars-Standard-Edition-DVD/dp/B007YZ5B0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345897973&sr=8-1

You get exactly the same thing except for 15 quid more you get to play 3 days before everyone else instead of 1. 

Funny that you're NOT showing the rest of the page there. Right above this part there stands:

All Pre-Purchase editions include these exclusive bonuses:

Three days of Headstart Access
    Hero’s Band

Looks like you just picked the wrong box and now blame ArenaNet for it :D

Think you are missing the OP's point.  He has the pre-purchase, but could have got the standard edition £15 cheaper.  He paid the extra because he wanted to be in the head start.  Which he currently can't play, due to the technical issues.

Im glad there are some out there who can see what im on about.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Things happen at launch.. Get over it

You obviously didnt pay extra or your loaded

Sorry if I sounded like an ass.. Why did you have to pay extra?  Is that something some countries have to deal with?  Here in the United States you didn't have to pay extra.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

Except you are wrong. Anet never SOLD you the headstart, Amazon did. I prepurchased from Anet, and I do not see Anet offering anything cheaper without a headstart. Headstart was intended by Anet to be a BONUS.

Amazon is now selling this bonus, not Anet.

Originally posted by impiro

Except you are wrong. Anet never SOLD you the headstart, Amazon did. I prepurchased from Anet, and I do not see Anet offering anything cheaper without a headstart. Headstart was intended by Anet to be a BONUS.

Amazon is now selling this bonus, not Anet.

If its £49.99 via ANet with the head start, and £34.97 from Amazon without.  How on earth is it Amazon selling the head start?  ANet certainly are, as that's the only difference, unless you also want to get into a paid for beta scenario.

• DutchSmurfDutchSmurf Member CommonPosts: 9

Sorry if I sounded like an ass.. Why did you have to pay extra?  Is that something some countries have to deal with?  Here in the United States you didn't have to pay extra.

You don't have to pay extra anywhere. It is just that some shops offer the game for less than the 'standard' price. The same happens with every game and isn't exactly new. You can buy GW2 for less than 25 pound if you want to. That doesn't mean Anet makes anyone pay more for the headstart. It means some shops give you a nice discount. Not sure why this Urko person makes such  a big deal out of this, unless this is the first game he ever bought. Any 50 pound game released in the last year and any 50 pound game going to be released in the next year can be bought for 10-15 pound less than the standard price in certain shops.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Dunno why NCSoft sells it cheaper on UK Amazon (if it is NCSoft selling it) while in the US all versions are the same price, including the one directly on GuildWars2.com...

Only means Urko could have spent 15GBP less instead of telling he paid extra :p

Originally posted by DutchSmurf

You don't have to pay extra anywhere. It is just that some shops offer the game for less than the 'standard' price. The same happens with every game and isn't exactly new. You can buy GW2 for less than 25 pound if you want to. That doesn't mean Anet makes anyone pay more for the headstart. It means some shops give you a nice discount. Not sure why this Urko person makes such  a big deal out of this, unless this is the first game he ever bought. Any 50 pound game released in the last year and any 50 pound game going to be released in the next year can be bought for 10-15 pound less than the standard price in certain shops.

I think the issue is more around only the pre-purchase gets the three days head start.  Usually head starts aren't segregated by purchase options.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

The regular pre purchase edition was 15 quid more than a non pre purchase in the UK. 

That is why I bought a Russain version.

Dunno why NCSoft sells it cheaper on UK Amazon (if it is NCSoft selling it) while in the US all versions are the same price, including the one directly on GuildWars2.com...

Would tend to agree, if it weren't for the typical price of a pc game in the UK being £29.99 - £34.99.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by grapevine

Would tend to agree, if it weren't for the typical price of a pc game in the UK being £29.99 - £34.99.

I can get GW2 now from eBay for €15 cheaper than I paid for my Pre-purchase. Yet I'm not whining that I've paid €15 extra :P

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

The standard price was £34.99 for most retailers in the UK for the game with 1 day head start. The 3 day head start version was either unavailable or clocked in at £49.99. There is a clear difference there.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Wasnt amazon too the one that bungled the beta keys or something? Seems most strange things happen with this game when bought thru Amazon uk.

15 £ to get into pre launch and not being able to play - annoying
    seeing arena net 'defenders' at work - priceless

The game is overpriced on arena net site.amazon can sell the game at 35 because nc soft agreed on that price,is not like amazon sells the game at a loss.So you want it or not,arena net asked more on their site because they knew people will pay and put the 3 days of play in it to make people overlook the 15 £ difference.Now they can't play and is normal to be upset and no,gw 2 is not the only popular game to launch and quite a few of them (LOTR,Rift ) didn't had problems.

The game is overpriced on arena net site.amazon can sell the game at 35 because nc soft agreed on that price,is not like amazon sells the game at a loss.So you want it or not,arena net asked more on their site because they knew people will pay and put the 3 days of play in it to make people overlook the 15 £ difference.Now they can't play and is normal to be upset and no,gw 2 is not the only popular game to launch and quite a few of them (LOTR,Rift ) didn't had problems.

There are tons of reasons Amazon can offer the game for less. As I said, the same happens with every game. You can always get it cheaper. Sometimes at Amazon, sometimes at another site. That doesn't mean you pay more for pre launch. It means that site is giving you  a discount. You would have a point if in 3 days Anet suddenly starts selling the game for less. But you and I both know that won't happen. The price at the Anet site will stay the same for the coming months. The same it has been for the past months. Making this whole argument not about paying for head starts, but about Amazon's price policy.

The only reason arena net offers the game on their site together with prepurchase is because otherwise most people will not bother to get it from them when can they order it from someplace else for 15 £ cheaper.Yes,some want the game faster and downloading it is easier than waiting for it in mail but the number will not be so big when the difference is 15 £.So arena net sold the game at that price mostly because of 3 days of play in prelaunch.You can defend them as much as you want ,in the end is still a poor launch and since so many of gw 2 defenders laughed at blizz and diablo3 37 error don't complain now that error 42 makes gw launch as bad.Btw I had to wait 2 hours to play diablo 3 at launch ,had quite a few disconnects the next few days and i found that launch really bad for a game which should only have had optional multiplayer.

Originally posted by DutchSmurf

There are tons of reasons Amazon can offer the game for less. As I said, the same happens with every game. You can always get it cheaper. Sometimes at Amazon, sometimes at another site. That doesn't mean you pay more for pre launch. It means that site is giving you  a discount. You would have a point if in 3 days Anet suddenly starts selling the game for less. But you and I both know that won't happen. The price at the Anet site will stay the same for the coming months. The same it has been for the past months. Making this whole argument not about paying for head starts, but about Amazon's price policy.

The pre-purchase is actually slight more expensive on Amazon, so that logic (while usually correct) doesn't stand in this case.

We are talking the differences between the two versions and why one would pick one over the other.  Which is the headstart.

The only reason arena net offers the game on their site together with prepurchase is because otherwise most people will not bother to get it from them when can they order it from someplace else for 15 £ cheaper.Yes,some want the game faster and downloading it is easier than waiting for it in mail but the number will not be so big when the difference is 15 £.So arena net sold the game at that price mostly because of 3 days of play in prelaunch.You can defend them as much as you want ,in the end is still a poor launch and since so many of gw 2 defenders laughed at blizz and diablo3 37 error don't complain now that error 42 makes gw launch as bad.Btw I had to wait 2 hours to play diablo 3 at launch ,had quite a few disconnects the next few days and i found that launch really bad for a game which should only have had optional multiplayer.

Some sites are offering the prepurchase for the exact same price as Anet. Some sites are offering the prepurchase for less. Some sites are offering the prepurchase for more. The download speed makes no difference, because in all cases you will be downloading from the Anet servers. Personally I paid less and if the servers would be working, I would be playing now. But the servers being up or not doesn't make a difference for this discussion. I'm not defening Anet or trying to make anyone believe there aren't any problems. I'm just pointing out anyone who says you had to pay more for prepurchase is wrong. Anyone who paid more only has himself to blame.

The prepurchase currently on Amazon isn't the one from Amazon itself it looks like, but from someone selling through Amazon. So it's price isn't an indication for the price Amazon uses normally.