Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, when will the servers be back up?

2»

Comments

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by vmoped

Minute 15 since crash: Spirits remain high.  We are using this time to stretch and care for the animals.  I'm sure this will be over soon.

Minute 30 since crash: Wife went insane.  She began babbling and frothing at the mouth... I had no choice... I had to... My god... Forgive me!

Minute 45 since crash: Hot pockets and red bull are all gone.  My bladder tells me to leave, but I know my precious will be back soon... soon...

Minute 60 since crash: I hear the howling downstairs.  No sign of login servers, was forced to make a horrible decision.  No supplies... so hungry... wife's sleeping form looks so damn delicious....

Cheers!

Lol!

My wife attacked me last night at 9:00pm right when servers opened (she's not a gamer), and I thought 'Okay, after this I'll play.' Then the baby woke up, and I was up 'til midnight. Too tired to play after, and now the servers are down. Noooooooo!

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Digna
    I assume that 'server crash' refers to the login servers? I've been on for the past 6 hours. A few minutes ago I got up for coffee and came back to see the login error.

Yes the servers are still running, but no one can log on.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113
    Finally REAL stress test :))

• SpankadinSpankadin Member Posts: 8
    After being able to log in for well over an hour before "Official" "Pre-Launch" and mucking around for about 7ish hours, It has been a great lauch imo. As mentioned previously, most of North America is waking up and pounding Arenanet. Soon it will all be smoothed out and our small respite will be forgotten quickly. I too made the mistake of logging out to go to the store. I suppose thats what I get for terrible prepping. There is still plenty to learn about whilst servers are down. Keep your chins up!
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    I assume that 'server crash' refers to the login servers? I've been on for the past 6 hours. A few minutes ago I got up for coffee and came back to see the login error.

TY. I guess my physician was right. Should have cut back on coffee. Might still be playing (wink)

• TempramentalTempramental Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

TY. I guess my physician was right. Should have cut back on coffee. Might still be playing (wink)

Or put the coffe-maker next to your pc.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Darkmoth
    Originally posted by vmoped

Much like Blizzard during WoW's launch, I believe Arenanet miscalculated number of players due to so many last minute sales.  I saw multiple threads of people prepurchasing >1-2 days prior to headstart.  That does not give them enough time to allocate more servers.  This happens so often, yet players seem so upset and shocked each time.

Cheers!

I suspect one of the reasons players becomed shocked and upset is because it happens each time. I have to admit, even I'm a little surprised the industry hasn't figured out launch authentication capacity planning by now. The game runs like a dream, but same old same old with the login servers.

I don't think they haven't figured it out. It's just that it's not financially sensible for them to commit to solving it.

Every major new MMO has this huge overcrowding issue at launch - say, for the first week. The only way they can battle it is more servers. And that means more money spent - for hardware that's not going to be needed after just a few weeks. In some games this also means empty servers after a few weeks as well. 

SWTOR did try to battle it. They opened up a huge number of servers. Servers which, after a couple of months, were practically ghost towns. That meant quite some money wasted and an exceedingly urgent problem on their hands.

I'm guessing ArenaNet will be cautious with the hardware upgrades.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Tempramental

Or put the coffe-maker next to your pc.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by solarine

I don't think they haven't figured it out. It's just that it's not financially sensible for them to commit to solving it.

Every major new MMO has this huge overcrowding issue at launch - say, for the first week. The only way they can battle it is more servers. And that means more money spent - for hardware that's not going to be needed after just a few weeks. In some games this also means empty servers after a few weeks as well. 

SWTOR did try to battle it. They opened up a huge number of servers. Servers which, after a couple of months, were practically ghost towns. That meant quite some money wasted and an exceedingly urgent problem on their hands.

This!

My daytime job just so happens to be "operations"

I have seen many game openings over the years, many... many many. and have been just as upset as I took off from highschool, college, dates, work, my wedding........ and many other events just to catch the opening of a game only to be let down as the game became unplayable the first days.

now that I work BEHIND the scenes myself, its exactly as the above poster said. imagine each server you play on, is actually 2 computers strapped together (raid2 server) so when it crashes you have a backup to it. so thats 7-9k for each one, you put out 30 servers and after the hype dies down of the first day you only needed 26. and after the hype dies down from the first month you only needed 22. and after people get bored/add kicks in and you are left with only the people who will play the game long term you have 18.   so you just wasted $98,000 for 6  weeks worth of time.

So you still have to have backups, but to have that much extra hardware to solve all problems just isnt economicly rasonable.

• TempramentalTempramental Member Posts: 21
    At least I'm getting a different error message. Something must be happening. image
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by kraiden
    Originally posted by solarine

This!

My daytime job just so happens to be "operations"

I have seen many game openings over the years, many... many many. and have been just as upset as I took off from highschool, college, dates, work, my wedding........ and many other events just to catch the opening of a game only to be let down as the game became unplayable the first days.

now that I work BEHIND the scenes myself, its exactly as the above poster said. imagine each server you play on, is actually 2 computers strapped together (raid2 server) so when it crashes you have a backup to it. so thats 7-9k for each one, you put out 30 servers and after the hype dies down of the first day you only needed 26. and after the hype dies down from the first month you only needed 22. and after people get bored/add kicks in and you are left with only the people who will play the game long term you have 18.   so you just wasted $98,000 for 6  weeks worth of time.

So you still have to have backups, but to have that much extra hardware to solve all problems just isnt economicly rasonable.

That's because for the past 5 years game developers keep making the same crap over and over again that we as players have said - we don't want.

I have been praying every game launch for a game that's fun, engaging, truly innovative that allows me as a player to have an impact in the game world I'm playing in. Not some hamster wheel instanced pvp in a can.

I lasted in TSW a month.

I lasted in SWTOR about a month.

If you believe in your game, and you believe you've actually made something that players will want to play - you will make enough servers to ensure a good launch - this is just another example of gaming companies taking their players for granted.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Soon, valve time!