Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free To Play vs Pay To Play

daeamarthdaeamarth Member Posts: 24

I am curious to hear peoples experiences and reasons for going free or pay to play in Everquest 2. Personally I like the option and was P2P for sometime but since I do not have time to play as often (short times once a month at most) I find it not worth the monthly fee and rather use my SC built over time to mitigate issues I run into due to being silver. Thoughts?

Comments

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Imo, this game is only worth playing if you subsribe. And if you do, it's a great game.

I didn't vote since I've stopped playing. This has nothing to do with the game itself, which is one of my favourites, it's because of the retarded PSS1 crap we're forced to accept here in Europe.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I'm to the point where I"m not doing sub games anymore..  It just isn't worth it..  I only play casual and with so many options in the market, there is no reason for me to dedicate ALL my playing time to just 1 game (subscription based), since I can tinker around with many F2P..  So.. if companies want my play time, my account and my casual spending, they need to go F2P or B2P.. I will no longer support a monthly sub based game, especially considering the lack of content they give.. 
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Currently Gold on one All Access account. I have another one on Silver, and the others are Free.

When the game transitions to PSS1 I will either not play, or they will be free or silver, and I have no intentions on putting any money into PSS1, as I do not trust their security.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i cant stand the restrictive F2P model that a lot of games (like EQ2) have.

i just end up subscribing because i want all the bells and whistles, i don't wan t to be gimped just because i don't want to fork over a few dollars every month.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I just redownloaded the game tonight and have a level 6 Warlock. I'm on a free account right now as a kind of try before buying thing. Not sure if I'll like it yet or will move on to another game to play with a few friends. Will give it a little bit and decide, leveling seems pretty fast so far.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

if havent already ,,,  type /claim

to get a Ring of Swift Travel from the Welcome Travel Pack

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/claim_items

These were added December 6, 2011, when EQII went Free-to-Play. They are one per Character.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i stopped playing the game .the day they said that you cannot pay for your membership through station cash
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

If you plan to play this game for any length of time you need to go gold as their F2P system is horrid. Probably one of the worst I have seen in a lot of F2p/hybrid games.

Its not even so much the class restrictions as the gear restrictions

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I have a gold account, started as free but found myself playing alot.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• daeamarthdaeamarth Member Posts: 24

The two biggest drawbacks to F2P in EQ2 are cash and gear. The gear though is very easily remedied and for a very tiny cost (the unlock keys). The ability of only having X cash on character overall though is a big kick in the butt. The worst part is you cant get past it. That is, you cant say buy an expansion fo 100pp to you account.

IMHO this isnt just a detriment to the end users that are F2P but the game at large as it diminishes the otherwise healthier trader system and player economy if you have more participants.

They should at least provide an out path here such as buying more cash allotment or up the cap at least to say flat out four times what it is currently, or something.

I personally like having the ability to go f2p and still have some access as times of IRL interfering its nice.

The current f2p cash system is the best Ive seen and Id love to have a debate on what is better and what can be improved. Ive played many a games in both modes and and few, if any, compared to EQ2. DDO is the closest Ive seen and that is only because you can buy individual quest packs although they cost far more than the exp packs in EQ2 comparatively.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by daeamarth

The two biggest drawbacks to F2P in EQ2 are cash and gear. The gear though is very easily remedied and for a very tiny cost (the unlock keys). The ability of only having X cash on character overall though is a big kick in the butt. The worst part is you cant get past it.

Sure there is: invest your spare cash in crafting fuels and store them in your bank or house vaults. When sold, you get back 100% of the purchase price. If the problem is a broker price higher than what you can actually hold, then contact the seller and barter the fuels for the item.