Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you recommend GW2 to ex-wow players?

tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I was talking yesterday with 2 rl friends about the mmo scene.Talk went about Gw2. We were wondering if we should get busy with gw2.. All 3 of us played wow together in defias brotherhood rp-pvp server for 5 long years.

So the question is and goes mostly to ex-wow players that actually used to play aot and liked wow during vanilla and BC times. Will it appeal to us? Note that we used to get burned in bg's and arenas later on,but we also did ofc dungeons and raids. 

Dont missunderstand me. I know and read plenty positives views about gw2 here in mmorpg. Im mostly intrested though in guys that played wow and know well what it was like and now they beta tested gw2. That opinion matters alot.

Thnks in advance...

Comments

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

watch these videos as compiled by forum user Aerowyn, and see if you like the game based on what you see:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359874/page/1

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I quit WoW right before Cataclysm... couldn't stomach yet another reset on the gear grind, grinding more levels to start the treadmill all over again. Granted, some people love it, I did, it just... got old. After playing GW2 extensively in the BWEs et.al. ... yeah, I won't miss WoW.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    I would. The explorable modes in dungeons should offer raiders challenges as well as WvW and high level DEs. I mean it is at the very least worth checking out. Quite the world GW2 is offering overall. Worth experiencing. Especially if you're like me and experienced WoW from the beginning. Gonna be cool to see this unfold as well imo.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

In one word.... 

NO

No one should have to be convinced to like GW2, they are either interested in it because of the MASSIVE amount of information available or they are not.

Lolipops !

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88

Depends on why you are an ex WoW player honestly

p.s. drinking and waiting for headstart dont take it personal if I fail to reply :-)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I have two friends who I honestly thought would never quit WoW, who finally did to play GW2.

One of them has over =3 years= of playtime.  That's not 'owned WoW for 3 years', that's 'logged on and playing for over 3 years of time'.

They were both in the top raiding guild on their server, and were always at the latest hard mode content.

Tired of WoW, tired of raiding, giving something else a try.

They're currently plotting how to kit themselves out in all legendary gear and get all the armor skins they want.  Hopefully that'll keep them busy a while. :D

(edit:  A good portion of their guild quit and is going with them.  Which sadly is why I couldn't convince them to join my server... because they're all going to try and be heavily PvP oriented on one of the major WvW oriented servers)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It's a silly question to be honest.
    Also any answer that is a definitive YES or NO, is also silly.

Why? Only you can answer the question.

I'll guarantee you we could scour the country and put every single MMO player in a room, then list all the major features of GW2 keeping only those who truly disliked the majority of features listed in GW2. By that logic you'd think they'd all not enjoy it. Yet some will regardless.

When we say we don't like a particular feature, it's usually because we experienced it in a different setting where it didn't work for us. But that same feature may or may not have the same impact in a different setting.

This was kinda similar to my own experience with the game. Yes, I only played for a few hrs. But I enjoyed it. Yet there are a lot of listed features I wouldn't put in a game.

You won't know until you play.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Seriously, this is a bizarre question.

Almost EVERYONE who plays MMOs is an ex-WoW player....

I would be willing to wager that at least 95% of the millions of people who have pre-purchased GW2 are "Ex-WoW" players (or current WoW players, for that matter).

And so are probably at least 95% of those who are absolutely not interested in GW2.

There's just no way to drawa  parallel between the two to conclude if a person will like GW2 or not.  At least not in my opinion.

I will say this though, I'm an Ex-WoW player and GW2 is the first MMO i have been excited about since vanilla WoW.  YMMV, however.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

In one word.... 

NO

No one should have to be convinced to like GW2, they are either interested in it because of the MASSIVE amount of information available or they are not.

i agree just about everything you would want to know about this game is laid out before you.. much of it in a nice little organized package:P  if what you see interests you I'm sure you'll probably enjoy the game

love the sig btw Voiidiin:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

GW2 is a very different game in many ways. However, it also offers world space, content and "fun factor" on par with vanilla WoW at it's launch. It's also the only game since WoW that has given me that same feeling of anticipation and joy leading into launch. I've been a long time MMO vet and logged over 150 hours of GW2 play test time. I can't get enough of this game and I actually see myslef playing it for the long haul.

Sharp contrast to many games since WoW that haven't been able to hold my interest for more than a month a two.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The only way to know if you would like it, is to try it out. I can't say yes or no really. Like any mmo I've ever played I always tried it out in beta or just bit the bullet and bought it, if I didn't play the beta to see if I liked it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by tazarconan

I was talking yesterday with 2 rl friends about the mmo scene.Talk went about Gw2. We were wondering if we should get busy with gw2.. All 3 of us played wow together in defias brotherhood rp-pvp server for 5 long years.

So the question is and goes mostly to ex-wow players that actually used to play aot and liked wow during vanilla and BC times. Will it appeal to us? Note that we used to get burned in bg's and arenas later on,but we also did ofc dungeons and raids. 

Dont missunderstand me. I know and read plenty positives views about gw2 here in mmorpg. Im mostly intrested though in guys that played wow and know well what it was like and now they beta tested gw2. That opinion matters alot.

Thnks in advance...

I quit WoW at the end of 2011 when I finished the DS raid. I loved my time there, but something had changed after 6 years. It was either me, the game, or both.

GW2 has brought back that sense of wonder for me. And I don't mean in that "oh it's shiney and new and therefore amazing" way. I've spent about 150 hours in game and can't wait to spend more.

It's different than WoW. If you enjoyed exclusivley the raiding in WoW, you may end up disappointed. But the again, you may not, as end-game is still very much a mystery.

If you do jump in, I hope it works out for you.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

It really depends on why they quit WoW, honestly.

If they loved raiding, then I'd say GW2 isn't the game for them, for instance.

If you like doing things in a group, but didn't like how the Holy Trinity held you back, then GW2 might be something you'd like.

If you want to see an event system instead of quests, where you interact with the world in a more natural way by going around and exploring it, then GW2 has that.

If you want a more skill-based PvP system and like messing around with character builds in PvP and PvE, then GW2 would suit you well.

Honestly, GW2 is a Themepark, but it is massively different from what is out there.  Imho, that's one reason why people arguing it is mostly the same as what has come before are just plain wrong.  You can't say "if you liked game X, then you'll like GW2", because there just isn't an MMO close enough to GW2 to make that a valid comparison.  Since what you might like or hate about WoW would vary compared to others, it is hard to say.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I've recommended it to previous guildies if they want to hang with us but otherwise no.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

In one word.... 

NO

Maybe u missed the point of my question. It is not about convinced or not. Let me explain.

When u were playing for alot of time wow and u actually used to like it u r are used to certain things. Good standards of polishing,working interface,good animations,a big and  massive world to explore without zones and loading screens ( exactly what was wrong with aoc ,ddo etc), a crafting system not extensive like eq2 and quite simple but it was working,talent trees were there and there were alot of combo possible speccs to experiment and i did create some speccs that none other had and were working great,and thats somethign very important for me, my toon to be somethign different from the rest guys in same class, and especially in vanilla wow u had that magical fewling u were actually playing a good fantasy mmorpg,

Now , u r saying that there is massive ammount of data,backffed,infos and videos to check out. I have done that already. It tells u jackshit. In videos and backfeed and opinions from loads of ppl Vangaurd,aoc and some other mmorpg's,seemed great and innovative but when i bought them ,i ended up quitting them 1-3 weeks cause all of them when u played them had flaws one way or another,some were boring,other had too problems in gameplay department things that in videos u cant tell they exist but only when u play them u can tell.

Since now im unemployed,hell yeah,im thinking to throw money right and left. For all the above im asking ex-wow players specifically, cause they ve been to that trip.Played, liked vanilla wow,got tired after some years of it, they are used to high quality standards,and they can judge better if some mmorpg has a good and working formula. 

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I don't think anyone can give a proper answer. Many player WOW vanilla and love GW2. Many played WOW vanilla and don't care for GW2.

You liking of a game depends only on yourself, your own tastes and nothing more. So, even if you added a poll with 95% of the results going 1 way, positive or negative, your view can still be different.

Look for info, watch vides, reviews, impressions, both positive, ngeative and otherwise, and try to find to decide the best you can.

You haven't bought the game yet, then i suggest waiting a month or two at this point.

BTW, what do you like about WOW mostly then? The pve, pvp, raiding, world design, polish, etc? If you loved WOW then something add to make so. That may be present in GW2 or not.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Drachasor

It really depends on why they quit WoW, honestly.

If they loved raiding, then I'd say GW2 isn't the game for them, for instance.

If you like doing things in a group, but didn't like how the Holy Trinity held you back, then GW2 might be something you'd like.

If you want to see an event system instead of quests, where you interact with the world in a more natural way by going around and exploring it, then GW2 has that.

If you want a more skill-based PvP system and like messing around with character builds in PvP and PvE, then GW2 would suit you well.

Honestly, GW2 is a Themepark, but it is massively different from what is out there.  Imho, that's one reason why people arguing it is mostly the same as what has come before are just plain wrong.  You can't say "if you liked game X, then you'll like GW2", because there just isn't an MMO close enough to GW2 to make that a valid comparison.  Since what you might like or hate about WoW would vary compared to others, it is hard to say.

Personally i quitted wow due to the direction that the game took. Charcter choises got restricted too much leaving few choises to character talents, interaction with other players went to hell thnks to the tool joining queqes,open world where back in vanilla and bc,was full of ppl exploring ,with countless of epiq random pvp encounters,meeting and helping ppl and making friends, ended up dead after vanilla and bc.hell the game ended up with 10k ppl sitting in one city checking and watching anouncments  instead of actually playing the game. Classes in combat terms were also fucked up in a way making everything automated and easy.Pve also got dumbed down with little skill usage.Items were easy to get also it just required time.

Thanks for the answers about gw2 though dude, it was eluminating.