Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a game for me?

LlynnLlynn Member Posts: 4

Would I like this?

I ask because from the few vids I've seen, there seem to be a couple things that cause me to reconsider.

1. No healers. The one part of the trinity I enjoy most. I suppose strategy later in the game will push certain players into more support roles as opposed to zerging encounters each doing their own thing, so this might be ok.

2. No raids. Getting a guild together for a planned event with a group is a big part of any MMO for me. Is there anything like this in the game?

3. Twitch gaming. From the few bits of gameplay I've seen, this seems to be a big thing. I'd never roll a thief in any RPG and don't like PvP in most games.

Bonus question: If I am going to get the game, what class would be best suited based on the above?

Comments

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    you will love it; roll elementalist and sieze the day

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

5 hours :40 minutes to go, hop on the wagon before it leaves town

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    There is never a guarantee. GW2 does things different. No raids, no healers, but still large group events, cooperative gameplay. No one can guarantee you that you like it. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

No this game is not for you please do not pay for it and go play Rift , WoW, Vanguard, TSW, SWOTOR, or any of the other existing games that do have all of those things that you desire from an MMO.

There is no reason for someone to attempt to sell someone else on GW2 if said someone needs conventions "NOT" available nor intended to ever be in GW2. 

I dunno, i know i am coming across as rude, but there is such an overwhelming glut of information available o make an enducated and informed decision. Alot of these threads asking this exact same thing come across as a passive aggressive troll in my book, but i might just be so fed up with the constant barrage of trolls making garbage up about GW2 that i might be seeing the worst in most posts.

Lolipops !

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Llynn

2. No raids. Getting a guild together for a planned event with a group is a big part of any MMO for me. Is there anything like this in the game?

Bonus question: If I am going to get the game, what class would be best suited based on the above?

It could be a bit of an issue if large party raiding is the only thing you like in mmo's.  I've been saying all along though that I wouldn't be at all surprised if ANet doesn't implement larger party dungeons in the future.  They did it to some extent with the elite missions in GW.  I guess I wouldn't want to be "behind the cart" if they do because I chose this very reason to not play.

Not specific to this thread, but I'm still a little surprised that some balk at roughly 60 bucks for a subless AAA mmo.  I filled my gas tank yesterday and it was $61 and some change.  That will always feel like flushing money... or burning it, since essentially we are inside the engine. :P

I guess people are still looking at Ele's and Guardians for those that normally play healer classes. 

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

Would I like this?

I ask because from the few vids I've seen, there seem to be a couple things that cause me to reconsider.

1. No healers. The one part of the trinity I enjoy most. I suppose strategy later in the game will push certain players into more support roles as opposed to zerging encounters each doing their own thing, so this might be ok.

3. Twitch gaming. From the few bits of gameplay I've seen, this seems to be a big thing. I'd never roll a thief in any RPG and don't like PvP in most games.

I'm with you. GW2 doesn't have alot of what I love about mmorpgs.

But if you can set that aside, and play it for what it is, you'll have a good time. It's a fun game.

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

Would I like this?

Going by what you have put here I can honestly say No GW2 is not for you.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Originally posted by Llynn Would I like this? I ask because from the few vids I've seen, there seem to be a couple things that cause me to reconsider. 1. No healers. The one part of the trinity I enjoy most. I suppose strategy later in the game will push certain players into more support roles as opposed to zerging encounters each doing their own thing, so this might be ok.

I normally play Healers in most MMOs, and I absolutely love GW2, so I don't think you should let that consideration influence your decision. The group content in GW2 is absolutely not "zerging encounters". Every single individual needs to be paying attention and working within the team and willing to make effective decisions and react appropriately throughout the encounter.

Technically, as you said in your last sentence, no matter what profession you play, you are partially playing a "support role" in this game.

The game does have this, just not in the same way that you are used to. I can't give any details on late game aspects, but I can assure you that most "raiders" will not actually be at all disappointed with what the game offers. Unless, of course, they need a constant grind of multi-tier gear-progression.

This one is trickier. Dodging and mobility are essential no matter what profession you play. You cannot get away from it. Additionally, reaction to what is occuring in battle is important as well, throughout the entire battle. You can't jush a pre-defined sequence of buttons over and over again to win. I'm just not sure what you mean by "twitch gaming" though.

Your best bet for this one, if you decide to try the game, is to play each class a little bit and decide for yourself.

If you do go this route, make sure you try various weapons in each profession because switching the weapons you use makes a HUGE difference in how the profession plays in many cases.

At the end of the day, only you can decide "will you like this game". I love fps games, but I hated Halo. Obviously if I just followed the crowd I would have bought it anyway.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Would I like this?

I always play healers in MMOs. I don't miss it here. My main will be an elementalist and part of that is for the utility heals they have, I still like to help people, but I like not being a slave to other people's health bars.

There are still things for guilds to do together. It just won't be large dungeon raids. Level scaling will make it much easier for guilds to do things together and include all members of the guild, rather than the clique at the top being the special place to be. There are areas and events that will also be well suited for high level gatherings among the guild.

You do want to learn to move and dodge in this game, but it's not a game where you constantly have to didge at the exact right moment or die. Ranged weapons, (most professions have some ranged option), give those with slower reflexes more room for error. The nice thing is that the game slowly increases the need for mobility and dodging, so players have time to adapt to the new form of combat. There is still tab targeting, for those who want to use it, so it isn't an all out action combat, but it is a dynamic, tactical form of combat.

If you are willing to learn a profession with a higher skill cap, Elementalist may be a good choice for your first. A staff Elementalist in particular. There is a lot to learn with the attunements, but you can still do well as you learn with one or two elemental attunements. Water attunement for staff also gives the best utility heals. Being ranged, you also have some breathing room with the more active form of combat.

Guardian has some heals, good support, medium range options and good survivability.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I don't know. I don't know you. That's like asking what's on venus...will you like it? Well I like it. No, I love it.
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i believe you will like it. most people think they know what they want and never try new things because of this, as a result they are missing out on a lot of stuff they probably would have loved if they tried it.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• jaybird50jaybird50 Member UncommonPosts: 23

i want to punch the OP for no good reason...maybe because ive been trying my luck at logging in for three hours...or that he is asking like 3 hours before launch.

no good reason I guess.