Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"... enough voice text to make 90 full length feature films"

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

watch some story sequences from GW2 then go watch some for swtor.. I liked a lot of the dialogue in swtor but comparing them side by side find GW2 better in many cases. Nothing oscar worthy here but perfectly acceptable for a MMO imho

Nah...I think SWTOR's is better. However, what GW2 does insanely above SWTOR is use it to set the immersion and ambiance in the open world leaps and bounds above SWTOR. Which makes the world seem alive unlike SWTOR.

That and it doesn't water down the game with so much story cinematics that the voiced cinematic scenes lose their uniqueness or ability to stand out.

Well...that and you don't have to hear your toon say the same goddamn line for the hundredth time.

this x 1000

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

watch some story sequences from GW2 then go watch some for swtor.. I liked a lot of the dialogue in swtor but comparing them side by side find GW2 better in many cases. Nothing oscar worthy here but perfectly acceptable for a MMO imho

Nah...I think SWTOR's is better. However, what GW2 does insanely above SWTOR is use it to set the immersion and ambiance in the open world leaps and bounds above SWTOR. Which makes the world seem alive unlike SWTOR.

That and it doesn't water down the game with so much story cinematics that the voiced cinematic scenes lose their uniqueness or ability to stand out.

Well...that and you don't have to hear your toon say the same goddamn line for the hundredth time.

There will be no survivors.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Too bad all of it is painfully bad voice text.  

Haters gonna hate.

Eh...kind of agree with him. The voiceacting I have heard so far is rather lackluster for the most part.

However, since storytelling via cinematics isn't the overall focus of the game it doesn't really bother me. Works well enough in the open world to help set the ambiance and immersion anyways.

it's extremely exaggerated how bad it is, quite sad. the only ones i found bad were the humans and norn and even then it's exagerated how bad. but when it has so much more to offer than the games that only have presentable cutscenes, that's something you've gotta let slide and laugh while those other games fail into ruin and take their place in the MMO graveyard.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Wickedjelly Originally posted by Aerowyn watch some story sequences from GW2 then go watch some for swtor.. I liked a lot of the dialogue in swtor but comparing them side by side find GW2 better in many cases. Nothing oscar worthy here but perfectly acceptable for a MMO imho
    Nah...I think SWTOR's is better. However, what GW2 does insanely above SWTOR is use it to set the immersion and ambiance in the open world leaps and bounds above SWTOR. Which makes the world seem alive unlike SWTOR. That and it doesn't water down the game with so much story cinematics that the voiced cinematic scenes lose their uniqueness or ability to stand out. Well...that and you don't have to hear your toon say the same goddamn line for the hundredth time.
    this x 1000

lol so true

and then your alt says the exact same things your main said 100 times in a different voice.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I love how NPCs act things out in the world... whether it's physically trying to get your attention by shouting at you, or talking to each other between dynamic events so they flow naturally.

Quests violate the 'show, don't tell' principle.  There IS a story to dynamic events (They're not just random shit that happens), but it's laid out in the world.

That's a great use of voice acting, and one I'd like to see more of (As opposed to cut scenes).

Though the story cut scenes at the beginning of dungeons and your personal story are interesting, I like the art style they use for that.  .. .and there's not enough of it to get annoying. :D

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Too bad all of it is painfully bad voice text.  

Beats the hell out of those god awful wannabe Maine accents. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by heartless

There will be no survivors.

Dear god...been months and when I read that I could still hear it as being said by my toon. Thanks :P

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.