Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Guild Wars 2: Final Thoughts Before Launch

Comments

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Deto123
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

point taken.. was more or less just pointing out  the poster said it looked like Rift but actually playing the game is really nothing like Rift in how it plays:)  imho of course

Aside from the fact that you get forced into a group when a Dynamic Event (Rift/Invasion) opens up near you, don't say a single word or interact with anyone in your group/raid, are given a series of stages to complete, and then everyone goes their separate way with no sense of actual community once the DE/Rift is completed.  

But yeah, other than that....

how about trying the game before making rash generalizations about it.

I ve played both, still will, and can t disagree with that at all. No one chats, nor cares to, during those times at all , in either game.

made a long post about this before.. but in betas many know characters will be wiped many play the game like a srpg to get to know the game/controls/skills ect.. Personally it's how I play betas.. once a game is launched and I'm in my permanent home and know my char isnt going to be wiped I join guilds, interact, and make friends.. so i'd wait till after release to make that claim.

I ll agree, more chatter amongst people will happen, but the design makes it hard to chatter much with anyone during these events. You re constantly moving and killing in both games to even say hi. Thus I still beleive it will be a fairly anti social area of GW2 as it is in Rift. Other activities less so I would assume.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

point taken.. was more or less just pointing out  the poster said it looked like Rift but actually playing the game is really nothing like Rift in how it plays:)  imho of course

Aside from the fact that you get forced into a group when a Dynamic Event (Rift/Invasion) opens up near you, don't say a single word or interact with anyone in your group/raid, are given a series of stages to complete, and then everyone goes their separate way with no sense of actual community once the DE/Rift is completed.  

I ve played both, still will, and can t disagree with that at all. No one chats, nor cares to, during those times at all , in either game.

made a long post about this before.. but in betas many know characters will be wiped many play the game like a srpg to get to know the game/controls/skills ect.. Personally it's how I play betas.. once a game is launched and I'm in my permanent home and know my char isnt going to be wiped I join guilds, interact, and make friends.. so i'd wait till after release to make that claim.

I ll agree, more chatter amongst people will happen, but the design makes it hard to chatter much with anyone during these events. You re constantly moving and killing in both games to even say hi. Thus I still beleive it will be a fairly anti social area of GW2 as it is in Rift. Other activities less so I would assume.

vent, teamspeak, and all the rest are your friend:) GW2 promotes interaction with players more than any MMO i have ever played.. the talking aspect is up to the individuals

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

vent, teamspeak, and all the rest are your friend:) GW2 promotes interaction with players more than any MMO i have ever played.. the talking aspect is up to the individuals

Lol, I m not talking about friends/guild members. I m talking about, solo people trying to make friends etc. The design doesn t cater to it at all. If people don t talk in these events at all or rarely, I m sure they re not going to take the time to join your vent server, let alone take the time to see the info your telling them, nor care for that matter.

Lol, I m not talking about friends/guild members. I m talking about, solo people trying to make friends etc. The design doesn t cater to it at all. If people don t talk in these events at all or rarely, I m sure they re not going to take the time to join your vent server, let alone take the time to see the info your telling them, nor care for that matter.

it does.. again play at launch you will see.. using my magic crystal ball here of course

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I have been looking forward to GW2 for a long time now myself. I have enjoyed the beta and stress test events. It is great to see a game that draws you in on sooooo many levels. I too agree one of the great things I noticed in the game is there is no "kill steals', no "resource racing". Everyone can mine that node. Everyone gets to chop that tree. Everyone can join in at anytime to claim the rare event boss. So even if your not in a party you get credit for helping others in the world around you. It may not be the death of the elitiest jerks, but GW2 is putting Co-op back in the mmo world and I love em for it!

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Let the euphoria explode, because we gamers like to party hard :D

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

*snip for length*

it does.. again play at launch you will see.. using my magic crystal ball here of course

Even back in the earlier betas, there has always been a good amount of /chatter. Even the press beta had a lot. To say that 'no one talks' in GW2 usually means one of 2 things. Either A) the person power-lvled to a zone with very few players, or B) the person was not actively trying to communicate in the game.

All GW2 does is provide an environment that encourages and supports social interaction. It doesn't force anyone to talk to each other, and you really can't expect it to. That's not the game's fault. It's like living in a city, you can go about your daily life not socializing, and not really meet many new people; or you can be more proactive, and meet tons of new people. The choice is entirely yours. I've already met a bunch of new people outside of my friends that will be joining us for launch. We ended up adventuring a lot, even when my friends weren't online.

This all happened from just going about my business, having fun, and talking to random people I came across. Stumble upon a new DE, and then notice there's a thief, or an engineer nearby. Send an invite, if they except 'hey hows it going? lets do this'. It's really not that hard. (This is, of course, on top of all the random /map chatter about how awesome the game is, random noob questions, etc. to be expected in any MMO).

I agree chatting isn t that hard, you re all missing the point. Alot of, I d even say most MMO players nowadays are anti social, and don t really care about who s playing next to them . I ve seen a downward spiral as far as social communities in MMOs for years, and GW2 isn t going to change that. I really wish people would stop hyping the crap out of every aspect this game has, all it s doing is bringing a crapload of disappointment to alot of players.
  • SandbloxSandblox Member UncommonPosts: 180

I think the whole no one talking because of Dynamic Events is a very flawed perspective...

A game can not force someone to be social unless it forces grouping mechanics on the players and that has been something not seen since EQ2 before they revamped the game to be more like WoW. 

I remember long ago there was the raging debate on soloers vs. grouped content. Back then most content required a group and there was very little solo content. However as time went on games began to create content for the soloer and here we are today where soloing is the norm and if a game was made to not allow that or make it very difficult it would not work in todays market. 

However if you want to be social the only thing stopping you is yourself. I actually tested this out in one of the stress tests. I read similar complaints before and so I went out of my way to talk to people during an event and I got some people to socialize with me. I then was roaming solo and came across someone else, we began fighting the same mobs and then I struck a conversation and we ended up talking and hunting together for a while. 

A game is not meant to force you or anyone else to socialize or even make friends, just in real life it is up to you to do so. Take going to a party, are you going to be the guy who stands in the corner looking at his feet or the guy who makes an effortt to meet others and enjoy the party? 

Further blaming it on a game mechanic, that being DE's is laughable. Im sorry but when your grabbing your slew of quests at the quest hub are you all of a suddent socializing with people and forming groups and friendships? No, not in modern games as those quests are by and large soloable. For many people now a lot of socializing comes from joining guilds with people you relate to and enjoy. 

GW2 has the ability for you to joing multiple guilds

GW2 has the same global / zone whatever chat going in a plenty 

GW2 does not force you into being anti social, that is a personal choice. 

The trend of solo play began long long ago well before GW2 and even WoW. 

One thing that does promote community that is failed to be mentioned is that unlike other games where you have to fight for spawns, loot and xp, GW2 allows the players to assist eachother without any negatives. No more having to curse under your breeath because you see some guy coming to your favorite little hunting spot and losing out on xp and loot, we can all play nice in GW2. 

Originally posted by Sandblox

I think the whole no one talking because of Dynamic Events is a very flawed perspective...

A game can not force someone to be social unless it forces grouping mechanics on the players and that has been something not seen since EQ2 before they revamped the game to be more like WoW. 

I remember long ago there was the raging debate on soloers vs. grouped content. Back then most content required a group and there was very little solo content. However as time went on games began to create content for the soloer and here we are today where soloing is the norm and if a game was made to not allow that or make it very difficult it would not work in todays market. 

However if you want to be social the only thing stopping you is yourself. I actually tested this out in one of the stress tests. I read similar complaints before and so I went out of my way to talk to people during an event and I got some people to socialize with me. I then was roaming solo and came across someone else, we began fighting the same mobs and then I struck a conversation and we ended up talking and hunting together for a while. 

A game is not meant to force you or anyone else to socialize or even make friends, just in real life it is up to you to do so. Take going to a party, are you going to be the guy who stands in the corner looking at his feet or the guy who makes an effortt to meet others and enjoy the party? 

Further blaming it on a game mechanic, that being DE's is laughable. Im sorry but when your grabbing your slew of quests at the quest hub are you all of a suddent socializing with people and forming groups and friendships? No, not in modern games as those quests are by and large soloable. For many people now a lot of socializing comes from joining guilds with people you relate to and enjoy. 

GW2 has the ability for you to joing multiple guilds

GW2 has the same global / zone whatever chat going in a plenty 

GW2 does not force you into being anti social, that is a personal choice. 

The trend of solo play began long long ago well before GW2 and even WoW. 

One thing that does promote community that is failed to be mentioned is that unlike other games where you have to fight for spawns, loot and xp, GW2 allows the players to assist eachother without any negatives. No more having to curse under your breeath because you see some guy coming to your favorite little hunting spot and losing out on xp and loot, we can all play nice in GW2. 

good post and very much agreed:)

• Almost read the article, then i remembered what site i was on. 

I already know what the comments say too.

Boohoo about your PvE you just cant get easymode in PvP for doing it anymore, still there - and is better than in other games.

Its not all just hype, game is better than the one youre currently playing thats making you salty about this one.

Thats all, gw2 > all of you and the crappy games you play.

• RenamedRenamed Member Posts: 10

What I care about the most is the end content. What am I going to do after I hit lvl80? Am I just going to run around and do the exact same events over and over again? What rewards am I going to strive for? Is my character going to stop getting any better?

I think the end game content will either get me hooked for years or prematurely end my GW2 experience and let me go back to searching for a better game.

• marcelimarceli Member Posts: 20

Been playing in GW 1 for 2 years with my guild, almost every day. The only thing that interested me was Guild vs Guild mode  (8 vs 8) and if I read correctly, there's nothing like this in GW2?

That's why I'm still hestitating... :/

palmiarnia.info

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Everytime i tried to post my true feeling about the game and tell my pros and cons, comparing GW2 with GW1 and other games I was BANED !!!

That tells a lot !

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818

Wait a month, read a review not a preview or a post view. Check out the videos of gameplay, see what players and friends are saying. Thats how you make an informed decision, not rocket science is it? Pre-order is for those who can't see the hype for the trees or those who treat games like this months fashion.

• AngelvsAngelvs Member Posts: 2

[quote=Bill Murphy] But nearly eight years have passed since then, and for half of those I’ve been right there with many of you clamoring for change in the MMO genre. No more WoW-alikes. Give us something refreshing! We’re getting it this year. [/quote]

Not with this game we're not Bill, this is exactly the same genre as WoW, yet another Sword & Sorcery MMO.

MMO writers/designers are continuing to play it safe 'overall' and this is no different.

I hope everyone who gives this a go truly falls in love with it and has an incredible experience over several years, fair play to you all, but this is looking like the same old stuff in a different suit to me.

Over 90% of MMO's are Sword & Sorcery, if 90% of movies/books were the same genre we'd have given up a long time ago. I'm not knocking this game, it may be stunning, but there's no denying that we need many, many MMO's that are truly original, no swords, no magic, no hunters, no elves. The wait continues...

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

After playing wow for so long and quitting out of bordom, GW2 is a bit...meh. It's just more of the same stuff we've have been seeing for the last 7 years.

I'm going with planetside 2 instead for a F2P mmo.  At least they have made something different from the 100s of wow clones.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I just can't get into anything except fantasy ( sword and sorcery) types. I think swtor makes for a good example. If you want to do something different, how about an age of empires mmo.

GW2 servers are cooked right now btw

Made it into the JQ last night though yippy!!!
  • freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Read this as Final Thoughts Before Lunch. The tried and tested games are great and this series looks like a keeper. The world vs world is a great idea it reminds me of Kurzicks vs Luxons where you compete for zones on the map with benefits for whatever faction holds the spot. PVP was great in guild wars and now it is even better for both PVP and PVE. Another class A game for arenanet even though it is just Guild Wars
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Angelvs

[quote=Bill Murphy] But nearly eight years have passed since then, and for half of those I’ve been right there with many of you clamoring for change in the MMO genre. No more WoW-alikes. Give us something refreshing! We’re getting it this year. [/quote]

Not with this game we're not Bill, this is exactly the same genre as WoW, yet another Sword & Sorcery MMO.

MMO writers/designers are continuing to play it safe 'overall' and this is no different.

I hope everyone who gives this a go truly falls in love with it and has an incredible experience over several years, fair play to you all, but this is looking like the same old stuff in a different suit to me.

Over 90% of MMO's are Sword & Sorcery, if 90% of movies/books were the same genre we'd have given up a long time ago. I'm not knocking this game, it may be stunning, but there's no denying that we need many, many MMO's that are truly original, no swords, no magic, no hunters, no elves. The wait continues...

It has guns, turrets, mortars and cannons.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I think MikeB nailed it with this part:

"Players don't react with a sense of trepidation when encountering each other in Guild Wars 2. You're never worried someone is going to steal your experience, items, or even resource nodes. MMOs are at their best with great communities, but they have, ironically, always been in their own way on this front." 

How many launch days for other games were low level quests impossible because quest mobs would  be wiped out by masses of new players?  More than I can count!  That will never happen in GW2.  Can't wait to finaly play this game for real!

No competition for anything , sounds like a good solo player game to me. Or an everyone wins, pityfull

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

I've been watching streams all day long about this game, I honestly can't see the big deal with it. At least for PvE it seems very cookie cutter stuff.

Perhaps it'll look better when i see endgame PvP, but at the moment I'm glad I didn't buy it.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Rawiz

I've been watching streams all day long about this game, I honestly can't see the big deal with it. At least for PvE it seems very cookie cutter stuff.

Perhaps it'll look better when i see endgame PvP, but at the moment I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Yeah I completly agree with you, Guild Wars 2 is nothing new, the only thing differn't about it is it's combat system, all I ever hear from people is how much it's so differn't from other MMO's.. I think those people have not played very many MMO's or are new to the Genre because everything else has already been done in past mmo's it's just done in a differn't way and in a more refined way in Guild Wars 2. GW2 is a good game but it isn't what everyone is protraying it out to be. I'de still rather play TSW over GW2, but I guess it's just prefrence.

• sofakingdumbsofakingdumb Member Posts: 54

[mod edit]

"How many launch days for other games were low level quests impossible because quest mobs would  be wiped out by masses of new players?  More than I can count!" You must have one finger to count with because there was only one game that did this. Lineage 2 at F2P launch. OTher games that have gridnable mobs are already notorius and shut down like 2moons... But that is comparing apples and ORanges.

The author posted you dont worry of people stealing your exp and items??? What? That is a problem in what other games? And if it iexists in games; like the chance to drop an armor pice in PWI, that is called CHALLENGE! that is not wow. That is hard core. That creates compition on a whole new level! SOme people like it, others dont; but the epicness of deuling the guy that called you noob, and then have a 5% chance his chest piece drops is rewarding. But sure, some people cry, so we got other games like aION where you can openly pvp epicly and keep your armor. So WHAT IS NEW here? Oh yeah...NOTHING! 

[mod edit]

The launch attracts millions. Most launches do. That will dwindle, later, but I Wish you all good luck for those who did not taste beta. GW has been and always will be the failmans MMORPG alternative. Something EASY to feel good. ORiginal GW gave those people who couldnt handle EQ something to do until Wow came out. WoW came out and GW kept a fan base. Because GW was still EASIER to play than WoW. 

PErsonally I Am happy GW2 gonna filter out all those: "power level me please" - "I cant find it" - "I just made a group of level 40 for a 60 instance" annoying players out of my current mmorpg and put tham all in that GW2 title! YES! I cant wait! a home for all those fail players!

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

sofakingdumb, no, your entire comment is a big fail because of one simple thing. GW and GW2 have their fanbase and keep their fanbase because they're the only MMOs out there with true sPvP that is based on player skill and not equipment. Too bad you're criticizing a game you know nothing about. If you want a HARD MMO you play GW PvP, if you want something easy you play all the other games you mentioned.

Bottom line is that you're a pve scrub that thinks he's good because he can beat mobs in PvE. Yeah, you're great. wow, just wow...

Oh and 1 more thing. Elite dungeons in GW1 were much harder than anything i've encountered in other MMOs. But ofcourse you know nothing about that, you're just an ordinary GW franchise hater that pukes nonsense without a basic experience in the game...