Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: The Jace Hall Show Ruined the Latest Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment took a gamble and decided to work with the folks behind The Jace Hall Show to create the newest PlanetSide 2 trailer. The results are....interesting. Check it out!

Today, the results are in... and things couldn't have been more awkward. The Jace Hall team delivered what may be called the "Nanite Ned" trailer (starring PlanetSide 2 Creative Director Matt Higby) and it's safe to say, SOE President John Smedley is not pleased. Luckily, the entire process from pitch to final trailer has been documented. Smedley has ordered the SOE team to immediately spread the word on the trailer in hopes of creating awareness of the epic failure as well as to save industry peers from making the same mistake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

imageimage

Didn't knew the show before, i had a good laugh tho. Awesome ! image

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Holy sh*t. Classic. 

These guys are good. Foreal. Weekly video column plzzz.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Nanite!
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    It's very "American" isn't it. 
  • sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129
    That was awesome. I love how Smedley was wearing the same crappy hawaiian shirt.
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I don't know why americans think the rest of us are so stupid we cannot see a 'staged' production?

And notice all the product placement - "Free Realms". 

I guess Smedley is just trying to reach a wider audience.  Pitty he is trying to reach a lower brow type of audience...

It shows that he still hasn't realised what the vast majority of MMO Devs and Players have realised too - that is that you are building your community with this crap.  It sets the tone.  So when Planetside 2 community devolves into a bunch of trash talk in chat and the gameplay is ruined by gank squads who think they are soooo 1337... you can see why those people were attracted to your game in the first place?

It also shows Smedley's character by who he associates with...

So - this Jase Hall bloke has "several hundred thousand" games does he?

And he paid for all those?

Because if not.... not the sort of person a Game Dev needs to be associating with?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Smedly is just making one bad decision after another. Why don't they just do the opposite of what Snively thinks?

Funny he can tell that the video belongs in the toilet, but can't tell that all his decisions belong there too.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Since it's promoted by SoE it's obviously just a funny viral marketing tactic.. why are sites marketing this as something other than that?

They made a pretty good video though.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

after watching that did any1 else want to rip one of those guitars off the wall and bash smedly in the face?

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Well, Smedly actually said some true things there. "You can't edit this" and "i didn't pay for this". Probably some more.

Another funny thing: While the fake trailer is obviously really really bad, and the official trailer looks really really awesome, the fake trailer actually shows more about the actual game. The other one would make for an epic movie, but it doesn't say anything about the game.

There are a lot of companies doing awesome CGI trailers, especially Blizzard, but they (except lately) delivered awesome games. If all you can do is making awesome trailers, you should stick to that. Like, Blur. If it actually was an in-house team, and not Blur, who did the PlanetSide trailer.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Vandali
    It's very "American" isn't it. 

I don't know if it's american (as I'm not from US), but I sure know it isn't funny (imho of course). The part about arcade machine was actually funny and interesting. Also, the real trailer for planetside 2 itself isn't that great .

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Completely retarded.

But the commercial was pretty good.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

$medley mean with money? Utterly unconvincing! Why he's an angel that gives out money to poor hard up DEVs *cough* McQuaid *cough* whilst farting rainbows and casting fairy dust around the offices.

If that video was real and those guys had wasted Smed's cash he would have garroted that man then cut him up and sold his organs on the black market to make some cash back. If it wasn't enough to break even he'd have turned his fat into candles and used them to light the offices until he was back in the black!

But hey, he is putting everything into Planetside 2, using every method possible to get the word out. He maybe the most ruthless bastard in the MMO industry, but it seems this time his head and heart are in the right place.

Planetside 2 is an amazingly intense MMOFPS with some real heart stopping massive warfare, he just needs to get people to try it once because after that it sells itself ... and it's going to be free to play.

See you on Auraxis soldier!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

I fail to see the humour in this.

If SOE spent the same amount of time, effort and money on the actual game it would be finished by now.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Not the funniest of the Jace Hall show, by any means.

But its alright.

• SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Some of you guys are way too serious. It was a joke. Get over it ;)
  • rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    bunch of whiny babies that's all this site has turned out too be i thought it was awsome and watched the whole trailer.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    Would love to get a copy of that commercial before it gets banned lol. Friggin hilarious!