Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could Star Wars Galaxies 2 be possible now??

ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

OK guys.. Don't have a stamping paddy about another SWG thread, I had a thought the other day [mod  edit] Someone said to me that a new Star wars Galaxies would not be possible due to the nature of the large open worlds and the modern game engines available now that could cope with such size and be a visual treat also. Well ... I'm Currently Playing the PS2 Beta and that  Forgelight engine is amazing, Can't say much(NDA).. Surely that engine  could easily handle all the planets in the SWG miniverse in stunning detail with all thoses wookies running round too.  Am I still clinging to a wish that it wil happen or just sandbox mad. Just bored of the F2p trash popping up al the time.  ..Ok im done... ready for the abuse...

:)

Comments

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Lol does your friend work at Zenimax? They seem to think a lot of things aren't possible over there...

To answer your question, SOE still has EQ next and some current projects to finish before they can even think about SWG2. I'm not saying its not possible, just that it wont happen for a long, long time, unless someone buys the rights or something.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    It's possible... if WoW copied a bunch of things from SWG then SWTOR would follow promptly behind them.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I doubt we will ever seen SWG 2.
    But there is nothing stopping SOE from taking it's own game, removing all references to SW, totally rebuilding it from the ground up....

In essence, SoE could Clone it's own game without the IP.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

No.

How many times.

No.

SWG was dying a long time before SWTOR released due to the way it was handled by SOE. It was like an old sick fleabitten mangy horse. The kindest thing to do was to shoot it.

There is no market for a game like SWG anymore(despite what you may see on this site, but MMORPG.com is like the last bastion for SWG fanboys) - that is what prompted the NGE, excluding the few hardcore fanboys that all descended on MMORPG.com, no one wanted to play the game how it was. The masses did not want to play Pre-CU and Pre-NGE SWG, thats why those "upgrades" were introduced in the first place. 

Unfortunately SOE screwed up the implementation of those changes so incredibly badly that it is still considered the most epic fail in the history of MMOs to this day

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Please allow me this opportunity to shamelesly plug The Repopulation.. though I did not play SWG I think it's the closest thing you are going to find to SWG2. (No affiliation to the game, just a fan of the direction it is taking)

Often lurking, rarely posting

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Well they could just release the NGE under the name SWG2 it might do ok--. heaven knows it really is what they should have done the first time.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by stragen001

No.

How many times.

No.

SWG was dying a long time before SWTOR released due to the way it was handled by SOE. It was like an old sick fleabitten mangy horse. The kindest thing to do was to shoot it.

There is no market for a game like SWG anymore(despite what you may see on this site, but MMORPG.com is like the last bastion for SWG fanboys) - that is what prompted the NGE, excluding the few hardcore fanboys that all descended on MMORPG.com, no one wanted to play the game how it was. The masses did not want to play Pre-CU and Pre-NGE SWG, thats why those "upgrades" were introduced in the first place. 

Unfortunately SOE screwed up the implementation of those changes so incredibly badly that it is still considered the most epic fail in the history of MMOs to this day

The masses that did not want to play Pre-CU were the reason for the survival of the NGE and later brought us the re-made NGE, aka SWTOR. How well did that turn out?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Sandbox

No.

How many times.

No.

The masses that did not want to play Pre-CU were the reason for the survival of the NGE and later brought us the re-made NGE, aka SWTOR. How well did that turn out?

Hey, Im not saying SWTOR was a good game. Far from it, but SWG was also bad, just in different ways. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Elijarh

OK guys.. Don't have a stamping paddy about another SWG thread, I had a thought the other day whilst playing a  "Hush hush-dead game/reborn mmo)  Someone said to me that a new Star wars Galaxies would not be possible due to the nature of the large open worlds and the modern game engines available now that could cope with such size and be a visual treat also. Well ... I'm Currently Playing the PS2 Beta and that  Forgelight engine is amazing, Can't say much(NDA).. Surely that engine  could easily handle all the planets in the SWG miniverse in stunning detail with all thoses wookies running round too.  Am I still clinging to a wish that it wil happen or just sandbox mad. Just bored of the F2p trash popping up al the time.  ..Ok im done... ready for the abuse...

image <--- Because there is no dead horse being beaten emote on this site...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

No.

How many times.

No.

Hey, Im not saying SWTOR was a good game. Far from it, but SWG was also bad, just in different ways. 

SWG should have been put out of its misery right after the NGE release.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Give it up already...

I loved the game too man, but face facts, it is gone and is never coming back. You have one option left if you wish to enjoy the glory that was once SWG, an option I cannot mention here, but that I am sure you are aware exists.

Take the option, and let go of SWG retail.

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

No.

How many times.

No.

Wow . Do you hold the licence rights for Star Wars? If so Dam then I Guess your right no SWG2 . Are you the chairman of George's board? Do you have a single clue about the Gaming industry and finally do you play Warcraft & possibly reached puberty yet?

Lol. what a pathetic cycnical one sided view. People like you add very little to conversations.  SOE Don't Hold the right's the the SWG licience any longer It was due to expire in 2012 anyway, But this is not about SOE , Any company could buy the rights to produce a new title and it not be Identical to SWG1 . That would be pointless.  I was just speculating at the possibility of what could be possible being such a popular IP with todays Graphic engines.   Your entitled to you opinion of course, but Im quite sure you have zero power in corporate decision making.

If theres money to be made and in the right hands anything is possible.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

No.

How many times.

No.

I'll agree that we'll never see SWG2, but I'd have to disagree that there is no market
    There is. And it's very much alive.
    The repopulation is going to be the closest thing to the original SWG[mod  edit] 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWG didn't make that much money and SWToR, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140

I'd pay any amount of money for a subscription for SWG 2. 15, 20, 100 who cares.

Or even buy a lifetime sub like I did for TSW. I also want a lifetime sub for SWG2 if it ever comes.

But I guess it will never happen. Now Bioware ruined the SW IP for ever.

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

The Star Wars's IP is almost dead for LA, since no new movies based on Star Wars are planned.  If someone was to throw enough money at LA for the rights to make a SWG2 they may snap at it.

I feel that is someone was to make SWG2 the best time period for it would be after all the movies.  Trying to pick up all the pieces and rebuilding everything.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

OK guys.. Don't have a stamping paddy about another SWG thread, I had a thought the other day whilst playing a  "Hush hush-dead game/reborn mmo)  Someone said to me that a new Star wars Galaxies would not be possible due to the nature of the large open worlds and the modern game engines available now that could cope with such size and be a visual treat also. Well ... I'm Currently Playing the PS2 Beta and that  Forgelight engine is amazing, Can't say much(NDA).. Surely that engine  could easily handle all the planets in the SWG miniverse in stunning detail with all thoses wookies running round too.  Am I still clinging to a wish that it wil happen or just sandbox mad. Just bored of the F2p trash popping up al the time.  ..Ok im done... ready for the abuse...

LA is a B***H!

Conspiracy Theories state that LA closed down SWG so SWTOR would rock the MMO world. So why would they allow a SWG2?

why would Sony invest in a SWG2 knowing LA could pull this kind of move again?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, attempting to mention but not quite mention things that are against our RoC here still counts. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by lizardbones

Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWToR didn't make money and SWG, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.

It's the other way around. I fixed that for you.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

I would certainly be one of the first to sign up to try out a SW:G 2.....

But this is the problem, as I see it...

LA has stated that it will no longer outsource the IP for MMO's.  TOR and SW:G are the only MMO's that are going to be/have been produced outside of LA"s own MMO division (Clone Wars Game not withstanding).

SW:G 2 would need a serious Engine for starters.  The game would have to revisit the Crafting System and Player run Economy of the original SW:G just to hope to get peoples attention.

And I'd bet they would have to start the 'new' SW:G in at the very least...the Return of the Jedi era.....and hopefully, not have anything Clone Wars related.  SO we'd probably be able to get the Hoth Heroic, the Tusken King heroic, the Themeparks (Imp/Rebel/Jabba/Nym/Meatlump/Valarian/Gungan/Nightsisters).  And we might be able to get Dagobah and Kashyyyk and Dathomir....and maybe a Yoda Themepark and Force Cave instance with "Vader" as the end Boss.  Maybe even get a Endor Heroic focused around the Shield Generator (Defend/Destroy faction based). And maybe with the Under construction Death Star in orbit over Endor, we might be able to get a Space themed PvE/PvP battle like the ones that were added in 2011 in SW:G...with assistance from Rogue Squadron for the Rebels and the 181st Starfighter Wing for the Imperials...and the ability to Merc is up for the Neutrals....

Lots of Potential.....and one can always Hope.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

OK guys.. Don't have a stamping paddy about another SWG thread, I had a thought the other day [mod  edit] Someone said to me that a new Star wars Galaxies would not be possible due to the nature of the large open worlds and the modern game engines available now that could cope with such size and be a visual treat also. Well ... I'm Currently Playing the PS2 Beta and that  Forgelight engine is amazing, Can't say much(NDA).. Surely that engine  could easily handle all the planets in the SWG miniverse in stunning detail with all thoses wookies running round too.  Am I still clinging to a wish that it wil happen or just sandbox mad. Just bored of the F2p trash popping up al the time.  ..Ok im done... ready for the abuse...

Yeah the only two companies I've seen that have been able to make a huge open world are Aventurine in Darkfall...

And SoE's MMOs (Planetside 2, Vanguard). EQnext is using the same engine as PS2, so maybe SWG as well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWToR didn't make money and SWG, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.

Meh. Neither game came close to what the developers, publishers or Lucas Arts wanted. SWToR is making more money than the monthly expenses, and I would assume SWG did the same or it would have closed sooner but that doesn't mean the games are doing or did 'good'. Doesn't matter how it's said though, nothing about SWG and SWToR would indicate that there's any good reason to make a third SW MMORPG.

If another SW MMORPG gets made, it's going to have to be on the game's merits, not on the SW franchise. It's really doubtful in my eyes that this would happen coming from Paradox Interactive.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by lizardbones Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWToR didn't make money and SWG, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.

Meh. Neither game came close to what the developers, publishers or Lucas Arts wanted. SWToR is making more money than the monthly expenses, and I would assume SWG did the same or it would have closed sooner but that doesn't mean the games are doing or did 'good'. Doesn't matter how it's said though, nothing about SWG and SWToR would indicate that there's any good reason to make a third SW MMORPG.

If another SW MMORPG gets made, it's going to have to be on the game's merits, not on the SW franchise. It's really doubtful in my eyes that this would happen coming from Paradox Interactive.

If, I say if, SWTOR are making more money than the monthly expenses, that's because the are running a live support team now after all the lay offs. No way the investors will ever get profit or their investment back. That's a huge difference compared to SWG. SWG did make profit, even after the NGE.

And for the record, SWG having 200-300k subscribers for the 30 first months during 2003-2005 brought in more money than SWTOR with a max of 1.7 millions subscribers for a short period of times (few months only).

And there are a reason for this; SWG gave you a gaming experience, SWTOR was just plain business.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

It CAN be done.

The Star Wars IP is very strong and benefits from a huge fanbase.

Former SW games were very popular, but making an MMO is very different from single player games.

I honestly dont think there will be a SW MMO that everyone likes, the past indicated that clearly;

some loved PRE-CU, others like me, loved NGE and others like SWTOR.

Im sure SWG could have co-existed along with SWTOR, they appeal to different playstyles.

Well, we will have to wait to seewhat the future brings...

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

No.

How many times.

No.

There may not be an official market for SWG but there can be for a SWG 2, or a MMO in the Original Trilogy timeline, one with an up to date engine.

LA gave the IP to SOE, then they gave it to Bioware, next they will try it again themselves. 3rd time lucky?