Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To a woman. "Yes, sir!"

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

That was either laziness - "It takes too long to make voice-recordings for both female and male characters" - or penny-pinching - ""It costs too much to record two versions" - or pig-headed arrogance - "In hard sci-fi, they call all genders 'Sir'" - and they were compounded because no-one at the top levels of the game, either a developer, a marketer or even Q&A, recognised that this was stupid and put their foot down.

Laziness, Penny-Pinching, Arrogance, Lack of Leadership.

These are the qualities that caused the massive flaws of this game that even the most senior bosses of the company that made it now call 'diappointing'.

Comments

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I don't even like Star Wars, but I seem to remember they called even females "Sir" in the movies.  Game still blows though ;)
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by noncley

That was either laziness - "It takes too long to make voice-recordings for both female and male characters" - or penny-pinching - ""It costs too much to record two versions" - or pig-headed arrogance - "In hard sci-fi, they call all genders 'Sir'" - and they were compounded because no-one at the top levels of the game, either a developer, a marketer or even Q&A, recognised that this was stupid and put their foot down.

These are the qualities that caused the massive flaws of this game that even the most senior bosses of the company that made it now call 'diappointing'.

Higher ranking females are refered to as sir in the army.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    In the Military unless we were talking to a Civilian female we addressed all Offercer personal as Sir. 
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Vaelgard
    I don't even like Star Wars, but I seem to remember they called even females "Sir" in the movies.  Game still blows though ;)

No they didn't. Not in any of the moviers. They called Princess Leia, 'Princess'. And Senator Amidala, 'Senator'.

Originally posted by Istavaan

Ha ha. No.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Weretigar
    In the Military unless we were talking to a Civilian female we addressed all Offercer personal as Sir. 

What he said!

My god, are you all drinking the same Cool-Aid. In every army in the world - EVERY - a senior female non-com or officer is called "Ma'am". Now stop making crap up - and stop pretending you were in the military.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

umm no you don't,  well not in the US military at least.. they might do this in other countries not sure. Female officers are addressed as Ma'am

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Thorbrand

What he said!

But what he said was nonsense.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Ha ha. No.

HAHA yes.

Source 52nd agbn for knox kentucky A company 515. All officers are refered to as sir.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Yeah, there's only like two women in Star Wars and at no point is either of them referred to as Sir.

Slip-ups are in every video game that allows you to make a female character.

Skyrim: The other day I was at a blacksmith in the game with a female character and the Blacksmith said something to the effect of "You're quite a strong man, to do that."

Its all over the place.  Games are by Default, male slanted.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

My god, are you all drinking the same Cool-Aid. In every army in the world - EVERY - a senior female non-com or officer is called "Ma'am". Now stop making crap up - and stop pretending you were in the military.

A female non-com is not called ma'am.. she's called by her rank like all other non-com's... I was in the army, I know that much.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

umm no you don't,  well not in the US military at least.. they might do this in other countries not sure. Female officers are addressed as Ma'am

Agree. I spent 24 years in the US military, and the only time you would call a woman Sir is if Billy Jean King were commissioned! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Ha ha. No.

HAHA yes.

Source 52nd agbn for knox kentucky A company 515. All officers are refered to as sir.

USAF from 2001-2005 and USCG from 2007-current.. never once have I seen a female officer called Sir.. well actually I did in boot camp and that kid got his ass reamed.. only time I see this is if the person is really nervous around the female and they mess up.. proper way to address female office is yes ma'am no ma'am

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Oh, and a female Sith is not 'My Lord', it's 'My Lady'.

Another piece of arrogance, laziness or just general stupidity left in by the developers.

And before some idiot say "Oh, but female siths were called 'lords'"...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumiya

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Olaris_Rhea

Ha ha. No.

HAHA yes.

Sorry, kid, but you're lying. No female of senior rank is called 'Sir' not even in the unit you're pretending to be a member of.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

I'm just entertained at the amount of stupidity and lengths people will go to in trying to somehow further point out this games faults.

The game played out like a single player with the hopes dailies and dungeons would entertain the trillions of people they hoped to have playing it. It did not work out, I'm certain that's been noted already, I'm also certain the game is not mandatory and you can go and not play something else.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    If a woman's testosterone levels are high (ie she is quite manly), then Sir will do.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Talgen

A female non-com is not called ma'am.. she's called by her rank like all other non-com's... I was in the army, I know that much.

She is if she's of senior rank to you. if she's of equal or lower rank then she's referred to by her rank.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Clearly some aren't into sci-fi much.  Calling a woman Sir is quite common.  Started with Star Trek, I believe.
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Clearly some aren't into sci-fi much.  Calling a woman Sir is quite common.  Started with Star Trek, I believe.

this is true

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Same in the British armed forces. Sir or Ma'am, depending on gender.

• JJOnewayJJOneway Member Posts: 112
    With all due respect, this is possibly one of the least important issues with the game.
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Didn't you post about this in the SW:TOR forums as well? You really care too much tbh.

Anyway, it's a fictional universe and I see no reason why women couldn't be referred to as 'sir' in it. Unless you think we Have to distinguish females from males, in which case I wonder why....

As for the Sith Lord thing, the General practice in SW is to refer to females as 'Sith Lord' as well. It's far more uncommon with Sith Lady or Dark Lady of the Sith than with calling females Sith Lords. It's a title. In this case (Star Wars - again, a fictional universe), 'lord' is not an exclusive male term.

Regardless, SW:TOR is hardly the only ones doing this, and to be frank, if That's what you think is wrong with SW:TOR I, personally, think there's something wrong with You. It has far bigger problems than something like this.

Also, while at it, who not complain about all the slutty dressed women that populate video games. After all, it's not practical to run around in a chainmail bikini nor historically acurate if you compare it to the 'real world'. And neither are huge as swords... or lightsaber.. or magic.. etc.

This discussion has been closed.