Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Guild Wars 2: Final Thoughts Before Launch

Comments

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by odinsrath

my final thought ....looks like rift

good thing it plays/feels nothing like it:)  although I did liek Rift... games are nothing alike aside from both being fantasy

I disagree.  Do I think Rift and GW2 are the same?  Heck no!  However, to say they aren't similar at all besides being Fantasy is not correct either.

Rift events are indeed similar to GW 2 dynamic events, not the same, but similar.

The graphic stylings are similar in both games, not the same, but similar.

Some of the classes are similar, again, not the same but similar.

Both games are themeparks, so again, similar.

It's not genuine to say they aren't similar at all.

I played both games very extensivley.. obviously way more so with Rift since I played it for 9 months.. but they play/feel nothing alike OVERALL you can nitpick features here and there and say some are similar but the overall feel of the games is nothing alike imho

You have now ret-conned your response to indicate that OVERALL they don't feel similar and that's fine.  I was objecting to your broad statement that the games are nothing alike except for being fantasy and that is untrue.  I merely pointed out ways in which the initial poster may have indeed found similarities which are valid. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

good thing it plays/feels nothing like it:)  although I did liek Rift... games are nothing alike aside from both being fantasy

I disagree.  Do I think Rift and GW2 are the same?  Heck no!  However, to say they aren't similar at all besides being Fantasy is not correct either.

Rift events are indeed similar to GW 2 dynamic events, not the same, but similar.

I played both games very extensivley.. obviously way more so with Rift since I played it for 9 months.. but they play/feel nothing alike OVERALL you can nitpick features here and there and say some are similar but the overall feel of the games is nothing alike imho

You have now ret-conned your response to indicate that OVERALL they don't feel similar and that's fine.  I was objecting to your broad statement that the games are nothing alike except for being fantasy and that is untrue.  I merely pointed out ways in which the initial poster may have indeed found similarities which are valid. 

point taken.. was more or less just pointing out  the poster said it looked like Rift but actually playing the game is really nothing like Rift in how it plays:)  imho of course

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

"I am the hype and the words;

blind is my body and WoW is my blood;

I have created over a thousand threads;

Unknown to thought;

Nor known to reason;

Have withstood logic to create many blogs;

Yet those hands will never play good games;

So as I pray... "Unlimited Fanboi Works".

As you can see, what you face are unlimited fanbois, the pinnacle of annoying.  So... what are you waiting for?!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

My Final thoughts... 

It's been a horrid year for MMO's, actually it's been a horrid few years. I feel like I've been playing the same game with different skins for several years now. Very few offering much of any noticable difference, some do offer minor things but all in all at the core most MMO's have just been rehashes with less and less content. 

With that said though GW2 has changed that for me. No it's not a messiah lol, but it is an MMO that truly offers a different experience at it's core. It's an MMO that has found satisfactory solutions for many of the problems many MMO gamers have had for years. It's an MMO that appeals to several audiences all at once. It's not the messiah of gaming but it truly is the something new many of us have been asking for over the past few years (Being generous here). 

I've played pretty much every MMO on the market for a few months at least (Most of them for free lol!) with very few exceptions. The only ones to hold me for any length of time were UO and FFXI after that sadly the only other ones were DFO and APB. Many mmo's had features I really like/liked but few had the core elements to keep me. Now we have a new MMO just over the horizon that looks as if it will finally keep me entertained for some length of time... GW2. 

No, it's not perfect. No, it's not the Messiah of gaming. No, it will not cure cancer. I don't even truly consider it revolutionary. GW2  is simply the first truly unique experience we've been given in a rather long while. At it's core it is different from other MMO's. It's core in PvE isn't about competition, its about fun and cooperation while PvP is about Fun and small scale and large scale team work. Class doesn't matters, you can play with the people you like rather than those that simply have the class/job/skill you need. It's a game that rewards you for exploring and gives you structured content for when you want it. 

It's a new MMO, finally. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I cant take it anymore, its 22:48 and the game launches between 06:00 / 09:00 if iam correct.

Sleep will bro's and sister's as our wait is over within 10 hours :)

NN all !!!!

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

10 hrs to go... maybe 7 if we're lucky ;)

That said, was a cute article. Not sure I would say it was a "great year for gaming, though" I'm thinking more "a potentially great year that so far hasn't really delivered." But different strokes for different folks and all of that.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

what time does it start?

Originally posted by Myrdynn

what time does it start?

http://gw2status.com/events/5-3-day-headstart

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Hodo

[mod edit]

And like when have I ever bought a game based on reviews from a gaming site?  Never.  You apparently are the only one actually listening to them.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

LOL just love all the haters last minute responses. Like i've said before, i hope the mods don't have alot to deal with while the rest of us are enjoying this gem of a game tomorrow! I wouldn't get my hopes up tho, someone's bound to start mass posting nonsense again.

Thanks for your positive responses about this on this site and good luck to your mods this weekend!

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

As is often the case lately I would agree with Aerowyn....

on a personal note, I hated the way Rift looked and love gw2 so I can't even begin to imagine how they look to similar to you.

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I still can't decide on a class and profession :(   WUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Bill your portion of the article was "Spot the frack ON"  Its what I've been trying to say for 2 years now on this forum so its nice to see one of the writers here agree with pretty much everything I believe to be true.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SandbloxSandblox Member UncommonPosts: 180

Very excited for the headstart! I have been playin MMOs since EQ came out, only EQ and WoW held my attention for multiple years, everything else was lucky to get a few months from me. 

GW2 does indeed bring back that feeling of excitment and fun. It just feels really good and fresh much like EQ did and WoW for me. 

As for a great year for gaming eh....that I do not understand.  In the MMO scene aside from GW2 what has there been really? I guess MoP for those still into WoW. 

Also do not see how someone can compare Rift and GW2 aside from the most basic surface level details. I bought Rift and could not even get through my first month with it because it felt so bland, to me it felt a lot like WoW without any of it's own real style, just far to much whitebread for me :P

So yea GW2 has a TON of hype but at the same time I get it. TOR also had a lot of hype and I held out on that one until free weekend pass...I lasted a few hours and found the game miserable and cheap feeling. Just an example there...but if after so so many years and so many games GW2 brings back that magical feeling for me and others I think they have something special, something that has been missing from games for a long time. 

• kp695304kp695304 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I bet if GW2 really is wildly sucessful(like WoW was) we will see a decade of GW2 clones and incremental innovations. 
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Oh dear, with any other game you would have posts from people asking how much the publisher paid for that article.

Not a single critical remark? Not a single person on the staff that has another opinion? Not a single member of the MMORPG.com staff that likes something else than another themepark? Not a single man or woman here that has a different taste? All assimilated?

Time to rename the website to GW2fans.com me thinks ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i hope the game doesnot fail like swtor and do something good for the community :)
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Larsa

Oh dear, with any other game you would have posts from people asking how much the publisher paid for that article.

Not a single critical remark? Not a single person on the staff that has another opinion? Not a single member of the MMORPG.com staff that likes something else than another themepark? Not a single man or woman here that has a different taste? All assimilated?

Time to rename the website to GW2fans.com me thinks ...

Well... even you must admit the list of complaints and negativity surrounding GW2 as a whole is pretty lacking. I mean even you came in and couldn't seem to find more to complain about other than the lack of complaints lol. 

We can't all be schills, this is just one of those titles thats grabbed most or at least intrigued them enough to see how things go. Game isn't faultless, but there don't seem to be any major glaring deal breaker flaws. 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

point taken.. was more or less just pointing out  the poster said it looked like Rift but actually playing the game is really nothing like Rift in how it plays:)  imho of course

Aside from the fact that you get forced into a group when a Dynamic Event (Rift/Invasion) opens up near you, don't say a single word or interact with anyone in your group/raid, are given a series of stages to complete, and then everyone goes their separate way with no sense of actual community once the DE/Rift is completed.  

But yeah, other than that....

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Aside from the fact that you get forced into a group when a Dynamic Event (Rift/Invasion) opens up near you, don't say a single word or interact with anyone in your group/raid, are given a series of stages to complete, and then everyone goes their separate way with no sense of actual community once the DE/Rift is completed.  

Lol, so true. GW2 is a decent game, but this gushy, omg I can t sleep stuffis well a little sad for grown men/women IMO. I ll play it, but it is going to be a very casual experience. Never cared for the pve at all, WvW is good, until PS2 is released, then it will become a coaster for my beer.

how about trying the game before making rash generalizations about it.

• FormlessOneFormlessOne Member UncommonPosts: 35

I'm actually excited - I pre-ordered, so I'm staying up until midnight just to get in as soon as the head start opens.

It's been a while since I've been this excited about an MMO. I only hope GW2 lives up to their marketing - a truly dynamic world, with dynamic events, in which I can actively play with folks without having to worry about ninja looting, kill thieves, or the usual PUG shenanigans. If they're even close, they will change the way folks view MMOs - casual players will once again matter!

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55

Or, here's a crazy idea, you try and talk to people.  I did it and *GASP* people talked back.  We even went adventuring together!

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

I ve played both, still will, and can t disagree with that at all. No one chats, nor cares to, during those times at all , in either game.

Originally posted by Deto123

I ve played both, still will, and can t disagree with that at all. No one chats, nor cares to, during those times at all , in either game.

made a long post about this before.. but in betas many know characters will be wiped many play the game like a srpg to get to know the game/controls/skills ect.. Personally it's how I play betas.. once a game is launched and I'm in my permanent home and know my char isnt going to be wiped I join guilds, interact, and make friends.. so i'd wait till after release to make that claim.