Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - the last medieval fantasy MMO before the industry finally moves on?

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Regardless of what you think "has been beaten to death", fantasy MMOs aren't going anywhere.  Two of the biggest hits of the past decade were fantasy in nature.  No one seems to be able to make anything good when they try sci-fi or even horror (ie: look at SWTOR and Requiem for examples).
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw has its flaws, but pve leveling wise its excellent. Don't rope it in the same category as bloody swtor
  • PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Medieval/fantasy > all(mainly if it has eastern art style(I prefer eastern art in MMOs and they usually have better graphics))
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tsw has its flaws, but pve leveling wise its excellent. Don't rope it in the same category as bloody swtor

Sorry, as I played a lot less of it than SWTOR I shouldn't have lumped it in next to that war crime... it's hardly fair.

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Muerte_X
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

Is this a joke?

Neverwinters Online

ArcheAge

EQ Next

TESO

Should i continue.Seriously though,i like GW2 as much as the next man but this is getting pathetic.

Sylvarii nailed it. There are a ton on the horizon, so, no. Although I am not sure why you tie cartoony graphics in with medieval. They do not have to go hand in hand.

You really need to read more about the hobby if don't understand "cartoony" art style.

Please elaborate. I was referencing the OP's comment about medieval/cartoony games. So if you are going to make personal attacks on people who need to 'read more' it would be better if you actually explained yourself. If you are refering to the fact that MMO's tend to be made more 'cartoony' because they tend to be less graphics intense and therefore able to run on a broader range of hardware, and that more 'cartoony' graphics do not look dated as quickly as realistic ones, well I would say no shit. I don't need to read more. If you are refering to something else elaborate.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Where are the Christian Fantasy games? I want to ride on a dinosaur 6000 years ago, and do other outraageously unbelievable things.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by cippalippa

GW2 is more steampunk or high kind of fantasy, far different from the classic fantasy.

Pity there are instead very few mmo with low fantasy settings which is far more intriguing.

GW2 is hardly steampunk, there are very faint traces of it but that about it and that is usually centered upon the Charr.

GW2 is.... a different twist I'd say.  It is one of the few games that present things in a refreshing way.  It is fantasy with some steampunk elements but not much.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Misaris

I wonder if GW2 marks the end of the medieval fantasy/cartoon MMO genre. Honestly I think this horse has finally been beaten to death and there won't be anything else coming after GW2.

is the industry finally able to move on and discover other timezones/settings and graphics styles?

World of Darkness, Secret World, Titan, Otherland, Repopulation, Planetside 2...medieval MMOs, a relict of the past in 2013?

You could say GW2 is the last in generic fantasy based MMO's.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Where are the Christian Fantasy games? I want to ride on a dinosaur 6000 years ago, and do other outraageously unbelievable things.

Uh, their calendar only goes back roughly 3000 years, no?

Danger Will Robinson

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Calerxes

I wonder if GW2 marks the end of the medieval fantasy/cartoon MMO genre. Honestly I think this horse has finally been beaten to death and there won't be anything else coming after GW2.

is the industry finally able to move on and discover other timezones/settings and graphics styles?

World of Darkness, Secret World, Titan, Otherland, Repopulation, Planetside 2...medieval MMOs, a relict of the past in 2013?

You could say GW2 is the last in generic fantasy based MMO's.

You could, but you'd be wrong.  TESO is much more 'generic fantasy' than GW2 and it won't be out for a while yet.

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

For some GW2 is such a game, can you see where I'm going with this? image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Get use to it, because it isn't going anywhere.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by TruthXHurts Where are the Christian Fantasy games? I want to ride on a dinosaur 6000 years ago, and do other outraageously unbelievable things.

For some GW2 is such a game, can you see where I'm going with this? 

No, I can't, but then again, Alot's eyesight isn't all that great. : /

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yes as of midnight PST all other fantasy based MMORPGs in development will be cancelled,no games of any type in any genre single player or otherwise will every use a fantasy setting again,no fantasy books will ever again be written and no fantasy based movies including fiary tales will ever be made again.

EDIT: I really need to typo check before hitting post.

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by TruthXHurts Where are the Christian Fantasy games? I want to ride on a dinosaur 6000 years ago, and do other outraageously unbelievable things.

For some GW2 is such a game, can you see where I'm going with this? 

No, I can't, but then again, Alot's eyesight isn't all that great. : /

Well GW2 might actually help you with that or so I'm told. Half an denari for me life story!

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    There are just too many people that love high fantasy. So it's not likely that it will ever die.
  • ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Personally, I hope so. Not because of there is something inherently wrong in the setting but because sticking with swords and sorcerers is like, in Henry Ford's words, inventing a faster horse. 

That said, my ideal MMORPG of this time and technology would be the following (simplifying things of course):

• the setting from TSW
    • the mechanics from GW2
    • the economics/rest from EVE
    • multiple clients to participate in the dynamic and persistent world independently from the primary client ie. PC (which odf course depends on a level of sandboxiness from the game)
    EDIT: The next big thing ie. "WoW" (as much as I like gw2 which is not it) is based on a persistent simulated alternate reality enabled by new tech like 3D, screens in your eyes (sorry, forgot the right term) and implants (yes, I really said that). Until then it's going to be only incremental improvement of the same old stuff. What TRION is doing is a great stab at something like that although linking a game with a cheesy mainstream TV show is still quite cheesy.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Is this a joke?

Neverwinters Online

ArcheAge

EQ Next

TESO

Should i continue.Seriously though,i like GW2 as much as the next man but this is getting pathetic.

^this^

Really the OP seems to not be aware of current events

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

The wheel keeps turning, and even though there are is a plenty of awesome fantasy genre IP that can be made into awesome MMORPGs  game companies have justifiably felt the need to differentiate themselves from WoW/Rift/EQ/dragons/elves n so on. 

And why shouldnt they? Personally I dont think GW2 will be the last of the "generic" fantasy games... far from it. Its just that since that one MMORPG has hit 10 million users people seem to expect another behemoth 2.0 game that will bring millions of players under one roof. But the scene has changed and there is so much choice to be had now that in 2005 would simply have been unimaginable.

Even though some lust to recapture the nostalgia of the bygones the truth remains that those early MMOs/MUDs drew alot of their strength from their communities. Since 1996 till forever I played on a MUD with an active population of no more than 300... we all knew ech other and it was great fun! Now if a game has a pop of under 1 million it is deemed a failure. Times change. 

There are plenty of genres that deserve attention still. I tip my hat to TSW for originality and breaking new ground and most assuredly wait for Shadowrun/Cyberpunk themed games due soon. But overall I think the commercialization of the industry and the exponential growth of the MMO playerbase means that we will have games of every flavour and variety catering to everyone. Some will be good... some will be average and some will be forgotten. 

/nosig4thelulz

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I hope to see a broader range of mmorpg settings for sure, but I really hope they are made better than TSW.

After my hour in the stress test last night, I had even more respect for TSW and the vision of their lead developers. TSW is a incredible game that's ahead of the curve in tech and other respects.

I think that limited money forced them to develope the pve side (best I've seen) far more than the pvp side though. PvP lacks content, but not depth.

It's a great time to be a gamer.

I can see that :) Different strokes for different folks and all. I loved the concept of the game but hated the pve (and also the pvp). The idea was good, great even, but the implementation was horrible imo. But that's all subjective and I can definitely see why others enjoy it.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Is this a joke?

Neverwinters Online

ArcheAge

EQ Next

TESO

Sylvarii nailed it. There are a ton on the horizon, so, no. Although I am not sure why you tie cartoony graphics in with medieval. They do not have to go hand in hand.

Also agreeing with Sylvarii.

However, I wouldn't say the graphics are cartoony.  They are quite distinct from WoW graphics (which are more cartoonish).  It's really a different style altogether.

They certainly are stylized and for good reason.  Stylized graphics age better and can be used on lower-end systems easier.  Personally I don't have a problem with stylized graphics.

Maybe we'll see a game come out with a Cubist art style.  You never know!

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Hasn't been beaten to death for me.

I'm still waiting for "my ultimate fantasy game".

Still don't have it.

The Elder Scrolls single player games are my ultimate fantasy game. I love them.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Is this a joke?

Neverwinters Online

ArcheAge

EQ Next

TESO

Also agreeing with Sylvarii.

However, I wouldn't say the graphics are cartoony.  They are quite distinct from WoW graphics (which are more cartoonish).  It's really a different style altogether.

They certainly are stylized and for good reason.  Stylized graphics age better and can be used on lower-end systems easier.  Personally I don't have a problem with stylized graphics.

Maybe we'll see a game come out with a Cubist art style.  You never know!

Minecraft springs to mind

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

It doesen't mark any end if you ask me. Personally, I prefer fantasy setting. Just can't stand that dark cold metal sci-fi stuff.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by cippalippa

GW2 is more steampunk or high kind of fantasy, far different from the classic fantasy.

Pity there are instead very few mmo with low fantasy settings which is far more intriguing.

GW2 is hardly steampunk, there are very faint traces of it but that about it and that is usually centered upon the Charr.

GW2 is.... a different twist I'd say.  It is one of the few games that present things in a refreshing way.  It is fantasy with some steampunk elements but not much.

Guns, gunpowder, breathing masks, harpoons, charzookas just to name some.

Then we have asuras and sylvari which falls more into the high fantasy settings.

To be honest the kind of fantasy in gw2 is fairly similar of that of WoW, which is indeed steampunk, or steam fantasy as you prefer to call it, which then went int high fantasy with BC expansion.