Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

A message from an ANet dev

1246

Comments

  • KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

    "I'm going to try to get some sleep, because I'm exhausted, and tomorrow is going to be a very long day. There is such a range of emotion I'm experiencing right now, but mostly I just want to say that I hope you guys love it. Love it forever, or love it and then move on to something else, but just love it, and know that three hundred of us melted down our hearts to give it to you. It's all yours soon."

     

     

    What a nice thing to read before going to bed, in few hours I'm sleeping and having wonderful Tyrian dreams, charging batteries to GET IT ON, first thing in the morning I wake up. Need to set several alarms up on my phone to remember take some breaks here and there during the day :D

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Creslin321

    I completely believe this dev is genuine.  And I don't base that on some kind of fanboy loyalty, or "hype," or ArenaNet's marketing...

    No, I base this on my actual experiences in the game.

    When I played GW2, it just seemed obvious to me that the developers loved this game.  There is just SOOOOO much detail in places that don't really need it at all. 

    Like the fact that all the tombstones in the Queensdale cemetery have inscriptions that can be read.  Or the fact that there is an organ in the game that you can actually walk up to and play.  Or the fact that hay in a field sways when you use magic that exerts a force on it.  Or the recently discovered fact that the dance animations in GW2 seem to have far more detail and length than any dance animation I have seen in an MMORPG.

    You don't get that kind of attention to detail and loving care without passion.

    And I can go on and on about the immense details in TSW like how you can see the numbers on the mailboxes and how the stairs going to houses have individual grooves in them...see where I am going with this?

    i feel both TSW and GW2 dev's put a lot of love into their games.. hell any dev is going to but it does feel some devs are more or less going through the motions at this point while others a bit more passionate about their product.

    Yes, but what some of us are pointing out is you can't just use this one quote from a random employee as your basis for determining that other developers in other companies are not passionate.  I can totally buy it if you base your opinions on what you've experienced in game as Creslin stated. 

    anyone who has played GW2 can see how many "little extra" touches were put into this game compared to many others

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=channel&list=UL

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Creslin321
     

    Where in my post did I ever say anything about TSW?

    Where in my post did I ever state that passionate devs = good games?

    I'm pretty sure that completely non-passionate devs = bad games...but passion is definitely not the only ingredient oyu need for a good game.

    And finally, why are you determined to turn this into a my game versus yours thing?

    Hint: Not you, Creslin.

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by grimal

    Edit: I understand the frustration people are having with where this thread has turned...but what started out with a simple post was immediately swayed when someone very vocal about other games decided to imply..no wait....said OUTRIGHT that "passionate devs = good games"

    If you want to get mad at someone, look back at that.

    So what was wrong with my statement?

    I said nothing. NOTHING.

    I did not say "passionate devs = good games, which is why GW2 is good and no other game is" and I did not say "passionate devs = good games, which is why every game except GW2 is shit."

    People assign meaning to what they read based on their own bias.

    I didn't make this thread negative.

    "Well said!

    Passionate developers = great games."

    Yep, all my fault... wtf?

  • lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by grimal

    Edit: I understand the frustration people are having with where this thread has turned...but what started out with a simple post was immediately swayed when someone very vocal about other games decided to imply..no wait....said OUTRIGHT that "passionate devs = good games"

    If you want to get mad at someone, look back at that.

    So what was wrong with my statement?

    I said nothing. NOTHING.

    I did not say "passionate devs = good games, which is why GW2 is good and no other game is" and I did not say "passionate devs = good games, which is why every game except GW2 is shit."

    People assign meaning to what they read based on their own bias.

    I didn't make this thread negative.

    "Well said!

    Passionate developers = great games."

    Yep, all my fault... wtf?

    What i got from your post was that as if  passionate devs exist  only in GW2. Which might have rub other people in wrong way. 

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    ... what's wrong with the statement that passionate developers make great games?  I mean, other than maybe being a bit overly optimistic, since there's a lot of bad games made by passionate people. :)
  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by grimal

    Edit: I understand the frustration people are having with where this thread has turned...but what started out with a simple post was immediately swayed when someone very vocal about other games decided to imply..no wait....said OUTRIGHT that "passionate devs = good games"

    If you want to get mad at someone, look back at that.

    So what was wrong with my statement?

    I said nothing. NOTHING.

    I did not say "passionate devs = good games, which is why GW2 is good and no other game is" and I did not say "passionate devs = good games, which is why every game except GW2 is shit."

    People assign meaning to what they read based on their own bias.

    I didn't make this thread negative.

    "Well said!

    Passionate developers = great games."

    Yep, all my fault... wtf?

    What i got from your post was that as if only passionate devs exist in GW2. Which might have rub other people in wrong way. 

    NO no and NO.

    You people are BIASED - just like the rest of us.

  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Creslin321
     

    Where in my post did I ever say anything about TSW?

    Where in my post did I ever state that passionate devs = good games?

    I'm pretty sure that completely non-passionate devs = bad games...but passion is definitely not the only ingredient oyu need for a good game.

    And finally, why are you determined to turn this into a my game versus yours thing?

    Hint: Not you, Creslin.

     Okay that's fine then, but you did say that in response to my post so you can see where the confusion would be made ;).

    Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Tonin109

    there is a positive message from a dev and some people just need to put some negtive comment, are you serious

    pretty sure if the message was from blizzard or funcom they will double triple post it and show to the face of people this

    if you dont like then just leave why do you need to spread your negative waves?

     

    ever see some kids having a blast making sand castles on the beach then some kid walks by and stomps on it and runs off? yea same thing here

     

    That's a good example.

     

    But what you left out was that those kids having a blast building the sand castle also spent the last hour making fun and dissing the other kid's sand castle. He finaly had enough and got his revenge. Sometimes you reap what you sow...

     Or maybe...

    The kid who got his sand castle crushed took his revenge out on kids that had nothing to do with his sand castle being crushed and just happened to be in the same general area as the bullies that crushed his castle.  Maybe that kid should learn that two wrongs don't make a right.

     

    Nope. The kids all go the the same beach every day. The mean kids have been kicking sand in the boy's face and poking fun of his sand castles for months. He knows them by name. He's cried in his sleep evey night because of THEM and now he finally got some payback.

     

    The good news is another new kid will be  moving into town and he may team up with the other kids to make fun of the new kid!! Yay!

     

     

  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    ... what's wrong with the statement that passionate developers make great games?  I mean, other than maybe being a bit overly optimistic, since there's a lot of bad games made by passionate people. :)

     I personally am so outraged by the fact that this GW2 dev stated that he was passionate about the game, that I just may end it all tonight.

    Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  • lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    ... what's wrong with the statement that passionate developers make great games?  I mean, other than maybe being a bit overly optimistic, since there's a lot of bad games made by passionate people. :)

    Devs don't make bad or good games they just follow the good and bad ideas of people above them. And i believe every MMO dev is passionate and want to do his or her best.

  • Grimlock426Grimlock426 Sacramento, CAPosts: 159Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Creslin321

    I completely believe this dev is genuine.  And I don't base that on some kind of fanboy loyalty, or "hype," or ArenaNet's marketing...

    No, I base this on my actual experiences in the game.

    When I played GW2, it just seemed obvious to me that the developers loved this game.  There is just SOOOOO much detail in places that don't really need it at all. 

    Like the fact that all the tombstones in the Queensdale cemetery have inscriptions that can be read.  Or the fact that there is an organ in the game that you can actually walk up to and play.  Or the fact that hay in a field sways when you use magic that exerts a force on it.  Or the recently discovered fact that the dance animations in GW2 seem to have far more detail and length than any dance animation I have seen in an MMORPG.

    You don't get that kind of attention to detail and loving care without passion.

    And I can go on and on about the immense details in TSW like how you can see the numbers on the mailboxes and how the stairs going to houses have individual grooves in them...see where I am going with this?

    i feel both TSW and GW2 dev's put a lot of love into their games.. hell any dev is going to but it does feel some devs are more or less going through the motions at this point while others a bit more passionate about their product.

    Yes, but what some of us are pointing out is you can't just use this one quote from a random employee as your basis for determining that other developers in other companies are not passionate.  I can totally buy it if you base your opinions on what you've experienced in game as Creslin stated. 

    anyone who has played GW2 can see how many "little extra" touches were put into this game compared to many others

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=channel&list=UL

    I'm going to try to make this easy for you. 

    OP posts message from one Anet employee stating how much love she poured into the game.  That's very nice and cool.

    Some followed it up with posts about how nice that was.  That's cool too.

    Then some chose to use the nice post by one passionate employee as a subtle attack on other companies by implying that they were not as passionate and thus their games fail.

    This is the point some of us took exception to just point out that just because you didn't happen to see ONE quote by a random employee in these other companies doesn't mean they didn't have just as many passionate employees who poured their hearts and souls into their games in the hopes you'd love them.

    We didn't "hate on" GW2.  Most of us are just as excited as you are to play.  We're just saying, don't use this good post from the Anet employee as a means to attack other game company employees or undermine the same sacrifices they make. 

    Does that make sense?

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by BadSpock

    People assign meaning to what they read based on their own bias.

    I didn't make this thread negative.

    "Well said!

    Passionate developers = great games."

    Yep, all my fault... wtf?

    What i got from your post was that as if  passionate devs exist  only in GW2. Which might have rub other people in wrong way. 

     Read what he said in red.  That's EXACTLY what you just did.  He didn't say, anywhere in his post, that passionate people are exclusive to GW2.  It only rubs people the wrong way who are automatically inclined to think the worst of people just because they like GW2.

    Which is an unhealthy way to function or be able to hold any sort of meaningful conversation.

  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Creslin321
     

     Okay that's fine then, but you did say that in response to my post so you can see where the confusion would be made ;).

    Yep, I see.

    OT: Is your avater Peter Dinklage?

  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

    I know one thing, I am damn sorry I posted this now. 

     

    Why?

  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

    I blame it on twitter... Some one go knock that dev out so he can be ready to patch bugs. And the rest of you go sleep so you can be ready to play rather than talking over the equivalent of a man's toilet habits in your boredom. I mean how cynically shallow is it to accuse them of this being some f'n marketing tactic? Whippity, he felt the need to post WUV DUV after a tiring job he felt good about. Yay good for dippity, who really cares? And now it's an forum incident for a multipage conspiracy thread with people looking to stab each other with written knives.

     

    I swear if I ever get famous again I am going to tweet about taking a shallow crap one evening just to seee what people on the forums write...

  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Tonin109

    there is a positive message from a dev and some people just need to put some negtive comment, are you serious

    pretty sure if the message was from blizzard or funcom they will double triple post it and show to the face of people this

    if you dont like then just leave why do you need to spread your negative waves?

     

    ever see some kids having a blast making sand castles on the beach then some kid walks by and stomps on it and runs off? yea same thing here

     

    That's a good example.

     

    But what you left out was that those kids having a blast building the sand castle also spent the last hour making fun and dissing the other kid's sand castle. He finaly had enough and got his revenge. Sometimes you reap what you sow...

     Or maybe...

    The kid who got his sand castle crushed took his revenge out on kids that had nothing to do with his sand castle being crushed and just happened to be in the same general area as the bullies that crushed his castle.  Maybe that kid should learn that two wrongs don't make a right.

     

    Nope. The kids all go the the same beach every day. The mean kids have been kicking sand in the boy's face and poking fun of his sand castles for months. He knows them by name. He's cried in his sleep evey night because of THEM and now he finally got some payback.

     

    The good news is another new kid will be  moving into town and he may team up with the other kids to make fun of the new kid!! Yay!

     

     

     Look...you obviously feel like you've been bullied for some reason.

    Worse, you feel like you've been bullied because someone insulted a video game you liked.  You need to get over that.

    People should have to right to express a negative opinion about a video game.  That's fine.  When it gets too much is when you start getting this mentality of "oh you got my game, now I'm going to get yours!"

    At that point, you aren't expressing a negative opinion about a game, you are trying to attack people through a game.  And that's just silly.

    Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

    Assuming that ONLY GW2 devs care about their product is a complete BS. So all other devs hate what they do, right?

    Lets get down to Earth.

    This is where it all fell apart.

    THIS is the idea that was put into your head that anyone before was talking about other games and other devs not being passionate.

    This, was the moment of inception.

    *GONG*

     

     

    *edit*

    Removed name to protect the innocent.. or not so innocent.

     

  • lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by BadSpock

    People assign meaning to what they read based on their own bias.

    I didn't make this thread negative.

    "Well said!

    Passionate developers = great games."

    Yep, all my fault... wtf?

    What i got from your post was that as if  passionate devs exist  only in GW2. Which might have rub other people in wrong way. 

     Read what he said in red.  That's EXACTLY what you just did.  He didn't say, anywhere in his post, that passionate people are exclusive to GW2.  It only rubs people the wrong way who are automatically inclined to think the worst of people just because they like GW2.

    Which is an unhealthy way to function or be able to hold any sort of meaningful conversation.

    People have the right to interpret your one line comments in any way they like. That was my interpretation since there was hardly any expalantion. However he did explain it later that this is not what he meant. That is why i mostly avoid posting one liners just to avoid drama because people often interpret it in their own way. 

     

  • RelGnRelGn halalaPosts: 494Member

    Dont fall for words till u play the game in full.

    Play the game and then say if it was worth it or not.

    Trust has been lost in mmos and i wont bite so easily till i play it and if it is good i will support it.

    The truth is hard work prospers very very well.

    Descent work is worst than crap work.

    If it's truly a hard work game then it will earn a lot of money just like lol.

    I personaly dont like lol's theme very much but i will always play a game or 2 every month.Others just like it and play all day long.

    But in general lol has succeded because there is no sub fee and has a nice gameplay and response in comparison to dota 2 that commands take action after 0.7 secs.

    Only 9 hours left to find out how good gw2 is and all our predictions and feelings will be clear about it.

    It's just those 9 hours that feel like 2 days.

    But other than that it's finally after all those fucking years here.

    image
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Creslin321
     

     Okay that's fine then, but you did say that in response to my post so you can see where the confusion would be made ;).

    Yep, I see.

    OT: Is your avater Peter Dinklage?

     Indeed :)!

    Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Creslin321

    I completely believe this dev is genuine.  And I don't base that on some kind of fanboy loyalty, or "hype," or ArenaNet's marketing...

    No, I base this on my actual experiences in the game.

    When I played GW2, it just seemed obvious to me that the developers loved this game.  There is just SOOOOO much detail in places that don't really need it at all. 

    Like the fact that all the tombstones in the Queensdale cemetery have inscriptions that can be read.  Or the fact that there is an organ in the game that you can actually walk up to and play.  Or the fact that hay in a field sways when you use magic that exerts a force on it.  Or the recently discovered fact that the dance animations in GW2 seem to have far more detail and length than any dance animation I have seen in an MMORPG.

    You don't get that kind of attention to detail and loving care without passion.

    And I can go on and on about the immense details in TSW like how you can see the numbers on the mailboxes and how the stairs going to houses have individual grooves in them...see where I am going with this?

    i feel both TSW and GW2 dev's put a lot of love into their games.. hell any dev is going to but it does feel some devs are more or less going through the motions at this point while others a bit more passionate about their product.

    Yes, but what some of us are pointing out is you can't just use this one quote from a random employee as your basis for determining that other developers in other companies are not passionate.  I can totally buy it if you base your opinions on what you've experienced in game as Creslin stated. 

    anyone who has played GW2 can see how many "little extra" touches were put into this game compared to many others

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=channel&list=UL

    I'm going to try to make this easy for you. 

    OP posts message from one Anet employee stating how much love she poured into the game.  That's very nice and cool.

    Some followed it up with posts about how nice that was.  That's cool too.

    Then some chose to use the nice post by one passionate employee as a subtle attack on other companies by implying that they were not as passionate and thus their games fail.

    This is the point some of us took exception to just point out that just because you didn't happen to see ONE quote by a random employee in these other companies doesn't mean they didn't have just as many passionate employees who poured their hearts and souls into their games in the hopes you'd love them.

    We didn't "hate on" GW2.  Most of us are just as excited as you are to play.  We're just saying, don't use this good post from the Anet employee as a means to attack other game company employees or undermine the same sacrifices they make. 

    Does that make sense?

    i agree with that I honestly only read the OP and the post i quoted.. everything else i have posted was general statements nothing really to do with the argument you are talking about

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • RedempRedemp Hot Springs, ARPosts: 1,042Member

     It's interesting to watch the attempts at justification for the negativity. 

    Negativity for the sake of negativity ; I hope the Mods lock and clean this thread.

  • heartlessheartless Brooklyn, NYPosts: 4,993Member
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    ... what's wrong with the statement that passionate developers make great games?  I mean, other than maybe being a bit overly optimistic, since there's a lot of bad games made by passionate people. :)

     I personally am so outraged by the fact that this GW2 dev stated that he was passionate about the game, that I just may end it all tonight.

    I'm cancelling my prepurchase and reactivating my WoW sub. The gall of these ArenaNet people. Who do they think they are? Don't they know that other developers are passionate about games too? What gave these Anet blowhards the right to be passionate about their game?

    image

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

    People have the right to interpret your one line comments in any way they like. That was my interpretation since there was hardly any expalantion. However he did explain it later that this is not what he meant. That is why i mostly avoid posting one liners just to avoid drama because people often interpret it in their own way. 

     

     If everybody acted as if everybody else was basically trying to be a decent human being unless they prove otherwise (Say, by explicitly saying bad things), I think this forum would be a lot more awesome place.

    Probably just talking crazy here though.  :)

    Like I said, it's probably super unproductive to automatically assume that other people are saying things in the worst possible way with lots of unwritten mean game-hating context.  Unless that's all that person does and the person just forgot to write all that stuff in their most recent post. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.