Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A message from an ANet dev

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    People need to stop bastardizing the sincerity behind intent of this thread.

Why not try a different approach, focus on the intent of the thread and ignore the rest? The thread goes where we take it.

Back to being positive :)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Bioware should learn from Anet.

Case in point.  I'm sure there are plenty of Bioware employees who had the exact same sentiment as the Arenanet employee.  That's all I'm pointing out. 

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

there is a positive message from a dev and some people just need to put some negtive comment, are you serious

pretty sure if the message was from blizzard or funcom they will double triple post it and show to the face of people this

if you dont like then just leave why do you need to spread your negative waves?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Tonin109

there is a positive message from a dev and some people just need to put some negtive comment, are you serious

pretty sure if the message was from blizzard or funcom they will double triple post it and show to the face of people this

People would just say they were being DESPERATE. The hypocracy is not lost on me. Is it lost on you?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Redemp

Wow ... it doesn't matter what the threads about, Negative Nancy's pour in.

There's absolutely nothing constructive about it, it's just being negative for the sake of being negative. =/

yea seriously every single happy or positive thread on here is diminished in a cespool of hate.. very sad

Please, goes both ways. Someone brings up an issue, dilemma, or concern and people thrash them them with insults and the same negativity.

So you can cut the fucking pity party routine out. Not to mention the irony in some posters that keep bringing this up had no problem doing the same thing on other game forums here. You didn't...but some others sure the hell did. Some even in this thread amusingly enough.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

ever see some kids having a blast making sand castles on the beach then some kid walks by and stomps on it and runs off? yea same thing here

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

There's absolutely nothing constructive about it, it's just being negative for the sake of being negative. =/

yea seriously every single happy or positive thread on here is diminished in a cespool of hate.. very sad

Please, goes both ways. Someone brings up an issue, dilemma, or concern and people thrash them them with insults and the same negativity.

So you can cut the fucking pity party routine out. Not to mention the irony in some posters that keep bringing this up had no problem doing the same thing on other game forums here. You didn;t...but some others sure the hell did. Some even in this thread amusingly enough.

you been around these forums long enough you know how many actual "sincere" complaints are around and how many are just "stirring the pot"

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    Originally posted by Exilor
    Imagine what would happen if the game wasn't a success. The poor thing.

Possible a few years ago, but the amount of hype and pre-purchases alone make it a pretty big success.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

ever see some kids having a blast making sand castles on the beach then some kid walks by and stomps on it and runs off? yea same thing here

That's a good example.

But what you left out was that those kids having a blast building the sand castle also spent the last hour making fun and dissing the other kid's sand castle. He finaly had enough and got his revenge. Sometimes you reap what you sow...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

So you can cut the fucking pity party routine out. Not to mention the irony in some posters that keep bringing this up had no problem doing the same thing on other game forums here. You didn;t...but some others sure the hell did. Some even in this thread amusingly enough.

you been around these forums long enough you know how many actual "sincere" complaints are around and how many are just "stirring the pot"

I've seen plenty of both on this and other forums. Including the pot stirrers. Which is why I made the statement.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

And then that bully kid goes and creates his own sandcastle and says how much better it is and doesn't deserve a stomping because it was made out of "love". The little kids with the stomped castle start to complain and then all the other kids call  them "mean" and "negative" for not recognizing theirs deserved to be stomped because it was't made out of love, only greed,

Originally posted by Psychow

That's a good example.

But what you left out was that those kids having a blast building the sand castle also spent the last hour making fun and dissing the other kid's sand castle. He finaly had enough and got his revenge. Sometimes you reap what you sow...

lol nice comeback

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I completely believe this dev is genuine.  And I don't base that on some kind of fanboy loyalty, or "hype," or ArenaNet's marketing...

No, I base this on my actual experiences in the game.

When I played GW2, it just seemed obvious to me that the developers loved this game.  There is just SOOOOO much detail in places that don't really need it at all. 

Like the fact that all the tombstones in the Queensdale cemetery have inscriptions that can be read.  Or the fact that there is an organ in the game that you can actually walk up to and play.  Or the fact that hay in a field sways when you use magic that exerts a force on it.  Or the recently discovered fact that the dance animations in GW2 seem to have far more detail and length than any dance animation I have seen in an MMORPG.

You don't get that kind of attention to detail and loving care without passion.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

I completely believe this dev is genuine.  And I don't base that on some kind of fanboy loyalty, or "hype," or ArenaNet's marketing...

When I played GW2, it just seemed obvious to me that the developers loved this game.  There is just SOOOOO much detail in places that don't really need it at all. 

Like the fact that all the tombstones in the Queensdale cemetery have inscriptions that can be read.  Or the fact that there is an organ in the game that you can actually walk up to and play.  Or the fact that hay in a field sways when you use magic that exerts a force on it.  Or the recently discovered fact that the dance animations in GW2 seem to have far more detail and length than any dance animation I have seen in an MMORPG.

And I can go on and on about the immense details in TSW like how you can see the numbers on the mailboxes and how the stairs going to houses have individual grooves in them...see where I am going with this?

Edit: I understand the frustration people are having with where this thread has turned...but what started out with a simple post was immediately swayed when someone very vocal about other games decided to imply..no wait....said OUTRIGHT that "passionate devs = good games"

If you want to get mad at someone, look back at that.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by grimal

And then that bully kid goes and creates his own sandcastle and says how much better it is and doesn't deserve a stomping because it was made out of "love". The little kids with the stomped castle start to complain and then all the other kids call  them "mean" and "negative" for not recognizing theirs deserved to be stomped because it was't made out of love, only greed,

That would be retalitation then,  which is against the posting rules of this community. So I'll give you the chance to edit your post, to explain the reasoning behind your and others negativity in this thread from something other than a retaliation for past fanboy grievances.

Growing up ... is so hard to do.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

And I can go on and on about the immense details in TSW like how you can see the numbers on the mailboxes and how the stairs going to houses have individual grooves in them...see where I am going with this?

And exactly what does TSW has to do with a comment made by an ArenaNet developer?

i feel both TSW and GW2 dev's put a lot of love into their games.. hell any dev is going to but it does feel some devs are more or less going through the motions at this point while others a bit more passionate about their product.

That's a good example.

Or maybe...

The kid who got his sand castle crushed took his revenge out on kids that had nothing to do with his sand castle being crushed and just happened to be in the same general area as the bullies that crushed his castle.  Maybe that kid should learn that two wrongs don't make a right.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Edit: I understand the frustration people are having with where this thread has turned...but what started out with a simple post was immediately swayed when someone very vocal about other games decided to imply, said OUTRIGHT that "passionate devs = good games"

I agree, the topic was fine till that comment. But some GW2 fans love to undermine other MMOS in whatever possible way they can.

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Edit: I understand the frustration people are having with where this thread has turned...but what started out with a simple post was immediately swayed when someone very vocal about other games decided to imply, said OUTRIGHT that "passionate devs = good games"

Where in my post did I ever say anything about TSW?

Where in my post did I ever state that passionate devs = good games?

I'm pretty sure that completely non-passionate devs = bad games...but passion is definitely not the only ingredient oyu need for a good game.

And finally, why are you determined to turn this into a my game versus yours thing?

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

i feel both TSW and GW2 dev's put a lot of love into their games.. hell any dev is going to but it does feel some devs are more or less going through the motions at this point while others a bit more passionate about their product.

Yes, but what some of us are pointing out is you can't just use this one quote from a random employee as your basis for determining that other developers in other companies are not passionate.  I can totally buy it if you base your opinions on what you've experienced in game as Creslin stated. 

That's a good example.

Or maybe...

The kid who got his sand castle crushed took his revenge out on kids that had nothing to do with his sand castle being crushed and just happened to be in the same general area as the bullies that crushed his castle.  Maybe that kid should learn that two wrongs don't make a right.

:) retaliation is bad mmmkay

That would be retalitation then,  which is against the posting rules of this community. So I'll give you the chance to edit your post, to explain the reasoning behind your and others negativity in this thread from something other than a retaliation for past fanboy grievances.

Growing up ... is so hard to do.

Umm, that "retaliation" wasn't by me.   Read a little deeper.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I know one thing, I am damn sorry I posted this now.