Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until GW2 is proclaimed a failure by the masses?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by ariboersma DAMMIT "this post has already been reported" that was fast :(
    Well, sadly one has to report things like this, but in general i feel sorry for people posting things like this, what in earth can have made people negative like that?

I took the post to mean GW2 would be declared a failure no matter what happens with the game, so how long will it take? I don't think that's a negative commentary on the game, more of a commentary on the people of this site (or possibly the internet).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This thread needs going through, so locking it until it can be cleaned up a bit. Will update.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Yay, not locked! Logic and reason win this time!!
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

Oct will be a rough patch for GW2 - MOP will be going into full swing, alot of the people that rushed through the content will be getting burned out, and there are slew of F2P titles comign out in the fall.

Also Lord of the Rings Online :Riders of Rohan will also be coming out in oct. If arena.net wants to avoid GW2 falling into obscurity, it will have to pull some punches in oct.

Honestly, there is so much competition for the fall - I don't see any game that is not world of warcraft having any sort of sustained buzz, there will simply be too much options for gamers.  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Amana
    This thread needs going through, so locking it until it can be cleaned up a bit. Will update.

Wow...you mods are like Jekyll and Hyde around here I swear lol

Ah well, makes for good entertainment.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Why would this one be locked based on the primise.  People here flood the Wow threads with doom and gloom and GW2 fanbois seem to attack every other game in their forums.  If GW2 can not take people's negativity then the game truely is doomed.
  • travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417
    It depends on what site your veiwing. Here, probably never. On other sites it has already began.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by kalrhael

Oct will be a rough patch for GW2 - MOP will be going into full swing, alot of the people that rushed through the content will be getting burned out, and there are slew of F2P titles comign out in the fall.

Also Lord of the Rings Online :Riders of Rohan will also be coming out in oct. If arena.net wants to avoid GW2 falling into obscurity, it will have to pull some punches in oct.

Honestly, there is so much competition for the fall - I don't see any game that is not world of warcraft having any sort of sustained buzz, there will simply be too much options for gamers.  

May the most fun game win!  My money is on GW2.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Why not? I'm tired of Fantasy. Where are the good sci fi games at? If I see one more Elf or Gnome I'm gonna puke up my Lucky Charms. I don't doubt GW2 is a good gmae, but my god man get off the fantasy kick. It's been almost 20 years. Can we please get some decent variations in the genre?

so true. 

/signed

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by megera23
    Originally posted by Misaris
    My guess is 24 hours after launch, when the rose tinted glasses reveal another medieval fantasy MMO starring cartoon critters, defending villages from attacking bears the 362th time?

What does 24 hours have to do with anything? I have 100+ by now and my "rose tinted glasses" as you put it have shown no sign of coming off. Oh and most of them were spent in one single zone (lvl 1 - 15). I can't wait to go back to it again.

While you might be sick of the things you listed, it doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Why not? I'm tired of Fantasy. Where are the good sci fi games at? If I see one more Elf or Gnome I'm gonna puke up my Lucky Charms. I don't doubt GW2 is a good gmae, but my god man get off the fantasy kick. It's been almost 20 years. Can we please get some decent variations in the genre?

its a good thing there are no elves or gnomes right?

Just Sylvari and Asura...

plant people and a small non gnome race.. are all small races now gnomes? and are all forest races now elves.. come on >.< You cant make an asura look like a gnome and its not easy to make a sylvari look like an elf.. how about actually LOOKING at the races before generalizing.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    You think i care anything about the "masses" ... only the real GW2 elite will conquer Tyria anyway!
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by BlueLantern
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Still waiting on GW1 to be declared a failure...

Isn't "It's not an MMO" enough?

that's the cop-out so people don't have to deal with it. 

Actually, if you go to the GW1 faq the claim it isn't an mmorpg.  So anyone who thinks it is an mmorpg is wrong.  Very wrong.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

as is the case of most games here that are deemed a failure, it won't really be proclaimed a failure by the masses.

It will however be declared a failure by a small handful of people, who will each create thread after thread after thread moreless stating, "now that everyone sees that this game is a failure..."

And my bet is that that process will start... 2 months ago.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    DAMMIT "this post has already been reported" that was fast :(

Well, sadly one has to report things like this, but in general i feel sorry for people posting things like this, what in earth can have made people negative like that?

I know! Just like this guy! 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/forums/thread/357043/Why-did-you-quit-this-game.html

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by ZekkCC
    Alright.  Choose a month/date, people.  

The "masses"? When it shuts down.

The very vocal minority? Well you've already made up your mind have you not?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by Psychow
    DAMMIT "this post has already been reported" that was fast :(

I know! Just like this guy! 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/forums/thread/357043/Why-did-you-quit-this-game.html

Glad I'm not the only one that found the irony in his post.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140

it's only a matter of days until people will discover this game is not the second coming.

Anyone remembering the TOR hype...? It's sad when reality hits one month after release. It won't be anything different with Gw2, except it's already gone F2P, not 9 months after release like TOR

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    We usually know in three months how things are going long-term for these games - so December.  If things are looking great for Xmas time, they're doing fine.

it's only a matter of days until people will discover this game is not the second coming.

Anyone remembering the TOR hype...? It's sad when reality hits one month after release. It won't be anything different with Gw2, except it's already gone F2P, not 9 months after release like TOR

Can't say I agree that it will go the same route as TOR. This game is designed a lot better than TOR was in several areas.

There will be some that will eventually be let down though. Some simply built unrealistic expectations for the game and some others here do the same song dance with every mmo that comes down the pipe.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    truth be told, it will never fail, just as GW1 hasn't. why? because it doesn't have a sub.
    You buy the game, if you're satisfied...win, no fail.
    Down the road there will be expansions we will buy, maybe you can make a case then. For now, pretty much everyone playing has bought the game and are satisfied, there is no sub to keep asking the question.

er... the genre was born of Dungeons and Dragons, with a smidgen of ShadowRun and WarCraft.  The genre will always be fantasy RPG based in everything it does.

To be honest we have sci-fi games, we have superhero games, we have war games.. we actually have a tremendous amount of other-than-fantasy mmos currently, but they are all niche games at best.

2 of the last 3 major games released were sci-fi, but the numbers supporting those type of games don't equate nor represent anything long lasting, as that crowd will always find a better game to their liking in the FPS market (minus EVE, who holds the majority of that true mmo populace). You also have PS2 and DayZ on the horizon, 20 years? really?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

the Tor hype was actually built on misinformation from the Devs interviews themselves actually whereas Anet has kept people in the know and revealed just about everything. (not the island of Orr sadly) but everything else. And the devs aren't sitting around telling us that we'll be doing things we've never done before EVAR or that the combat is so awesome the game will make us poop light sabers which pretty much sums up the interviews I've seen prelaunch of TOR of the head of their dev team.

So there IS a huge difference there. oversimplifying things really doesn't help your case much.

Originally posted by Wolvards

The "masses"? When it shuts down.

The very vocal minority? Well you've already made up your mind have you not?

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284
    We usually know in three months how things are going long-term for these games - so December.  If things are looking great for Xmas time, they're doing fine.

Nah, in december the people who are against the game will say "b-b-b-but, no.. .april this time I promise".

Then they'll keep moving the date back.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Uh, about six months ago?

Oh, "the masses" means someone besides our already resident Prophets of Doom? 

Wouldn't it be maybe actually worthwhile to address the sub-groups of gamerdom who almost certainly would not be happy with a purchase?  Warn them off?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Horusra
    Why would this one be locked based on the primise.  People here flood the Wow threads with doom and gloom and GW2 fanbois seem to attack every other game in their forums.  If GW2 can not take people's negativity then the game truely is doomed.

It's clear and present baiting that's why it should be locked. If they went and locked every GW2 bait thread as fast as they did TOR threads that were well thought out and had evidence to back up the claims of the posters when TOR was launching, this thread would have had 1 reply before locking and the OP being banned for life.

This discussion has been closed.