Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Guild Wars 2: Final Thoughts Before Launch

Comments

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

My thoughts on GW2:

The first thing that made me look into to this game more was WvW. That was the main thing I was looking at, I was looking for open world pvp in previous new titles but failed to show it since the game is so instanced. GW2 is a good game overall I've done the pve content with a bunch of other players and its fun working together and that hasn't happened ever. It is like 100 percent guaranteed you will be working together with people doing content. That percentage of guarantee isn't like that in the other mmos.

The issues i have with this game which is all minor is UI customization, like I at least want to change the UI color theme. I'm not a fan of GW lore or fantasy games but I can care less at this point I really have no choice since other mmos do not have what I really want. In my opinion the combat animation needs to improve, the first default attack you get is repetitive, same with the other attacks, so basically if they add more animations it wouldn't be repetitive and everyone comes home happy.

On a side note, I'm sleeping as much as I can to at least play for an hour and a half before I go to bed.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

I wish them nothing but the best, Arenanet appears to be dedicated towards it's customers and their product.  I hope this game is very successful and I will be playing the ^&%&^%&^ out of it.  

Cheers,

Faulkner

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

First, people forget that WoW was a continuation of Warcraft II and III, one of the most popular PC games of their times. This was one of the most important factors that contributed to WoWs succes.

This is what GW2 is for me; continuation of original Guild Wars, a game that I had a ton of fun with. It's not some next big AAA MMO that everybody are waiting for.

Sure, SWTOR was also a continuation of KotOR I & II, but for it to be succesful, continuation has to actually be better than its predecessor. It has to be an evolution of original ideas from the prequel as well as popular features and ideas from other games. Evolution, not a copy-paste.

Blizzard has build its name on Warcraft and Diablo, ArenaNet can do the same with Guild Wars.

• 9larsons9larsons Member Posts: 4
    I think you can still get the 3-day from Amazon. Don't hold me to that though :P
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Because MMORPG.com is ALL about objectivity! Keep it honest and real, rename the site GW something something.
    (And no, they will never give this game anything less than a 8.8 Because you know, they're objective.)
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I'm not blown away by it personally. It doesn't fit my tastes so i can't justify paying 60$ for it right now. If it drops the price, i may pick up later on.

But i hope you guys enjoy yourselves, aswell as the rest of the GW2 community.

BTW, is it just me, or do i have a feeling the mmorpg.com staff as decided on the final score their official review already? image

I feel the same and despite the forums here being completely infested with fanbois there are a great many MMO gamers for whom GW2 offers nothing at all.  I do however hope that the game is a success but not to the extent that every developer and his grandmother copies it for the next ten years.

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    I just pre-purchased last night @ around midnight PST with the 3-day. And just checked thier site right now, and you can still get the 3-day head start. https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Often lurking, rarely posting

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

I'm not blown away by it personally. It doesn't fit my tastes so i can't justify paying 60$ for it right now. If it drops the price, i may pick up later on.

But i hope you guys enjoy yourselves, aswell as the rest of the GW2 community.

BTW, is it just me, or do i have a feeling the mmorpg.com staff as decided on the final score their official review already? image

well ive never seen the MMORPG staff and writers so excited about a game like this before...so yes its a little obvious what there score might be lol.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

GW2 really looks like it will going to be great.

I remember the betas of a great variety of MMOs and there were always concerns (not ready to be released, performance issues, bad content, etc.). This is the first MMO since WoW, where everything seems to be ok.

Of course there are some negative remarks in this and other forums, but they are full of missinformation and blatant lies. And do not forget that testers have been able to play and speak about GW2-content for about one year now. The only reason for scepticism is the fact, that we have no clue about what happens after level 30 - in most MMOs this part of the game tends to be worse than the stuff in the starter-areas.

The comparsions to SWTOR are absurd. GW2 is hyped, because it does everything differently, so it is the complete opposite of SWTOR, which was just WoW in space with voice-overs.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Good article, essentially felt the same about GW2. =)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Well written article by all.

Like Suzie, I think I enjoy the support part the most.  To help with the building of siege equipment, or repairing a gate, or just blocking some enemies with a "wall" ability I throw down all sounds like fun to me.  I like that there is actually some strategy involved, and I hope it stays that way.

I think I'm going to have a blast in WvW.  Can't wait.

PS - I really hope they launch 3 hours early like they hinted.

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I want this game but I don't want to just get started and have to quit because Borderlands 2 comes out 18 days later.  When I've played through that I'll bet GWII.  Have fun

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Final thoughts before launch? Ok.

There is really not much missing from Guild Wars 2 from the list of things I like in a game.

I would like a robust housing system, something they say they are working on. But even though you get a "home" instance I have to count the lack of customizable housing as a minus for now.

There is no real "non combat" option for charater creation and you are stuck in one of 8 level based archetypes. I would prefer a more free form skill based system overall, but skill based advancement systems have their own set of problems too. I would call this a minor minus.

Some people have complained about a percieved lack of endgame. I will worry about that bridge when I cross it. I have played enough already to know that there is months of content already in front of me. I was never a fan of doing a raid more than a couple times anyways so lacking traditional raiding doesn't concern me as long as there is something there to do on the same epic scale which I am sure there will be. I'll probably be in WvWvW most of the time I play at max level anyways. I am not concerned about running out of things to do for quite some time.

I am concerned I will run out of character slots far too soon.

On the plus side - everything else !

Now, I am not trying to say this is the second coming or any such overstated hyperbole or that it is any sort of giantkiller. Simply that I have had a lot of fun so far and that is what gaming is supposed to be about, Having Fun. Without any comparisons, Guild Wars 2 is fun on its own merits.

The world is huge, the lore is well established high fantasy with a healthy dose of steampunk. The classes are diverse even if a bit typical. The races are a bit different than the usual, though I think Norn and Human are a bit too alike.The event system and downleveling keep things fresh and challenging. PVP is always available, yet kept seperate from the day to day world.The crafting I've seen so far is serviceable and has some interesting twists, plus the nature of gear in GW2  allows for a lot of gear diversity and crafting usefulness. The environments are truly beautiful. Plus there always seems to be some secret just waiting to be discovered behind each door or over each hill or down each winding dark alley.

All in all, I can't wait to uncover each and ever secret for myself!

Oh, and just in time for back to school !  (just had to rub that one in a little)

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I think MikeB nailed it with this part:

"Players don't react with a sense of trepidation when encountering each other in Guild Wars 2. You're never worried someone is going to steal your experience, items, or even resource nodes. MMOs are at their best with great communities, but they have, ironically, always been in their own way on this front." 

How many launch days for other games were low level quests impossible because quest mobs would  be wiped out by masses of new players?  More than I can count!  That will never happen in GW2.  Can't wait to finaly play this game for real!

Agree 100%.  There should never be ANY feeling of negativity from other players during a PvE experience.  Yet in most modern games the first thoughts that pop into your head when someone comes into view out in the field are often: 

"Awww crap, here they come to swipe me nodes!"

"He's beelinin' for me boss!  Noooooooooo!"

etc...

I mean, if you never played an MMO... would you ever imagine that helping someone defeat a mob they were fighting should make them angry?  Yet that became common MMO law for nearly a decade.

I can't say whether GW2 will have a great, or even a good community, but I do believe I can say that it has done its best to get out of our way as we try to foster goodwill within it.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

I think what intrigues me is a AAA MMO experience without the subscription.  Like I've said before, $15 isn't expensive.  It's just that I can't identify if I'm getting enough value for the price in many cases.

I'm much more interested in GW2 since it's only a box cost.  I can play it, take a break, come back and not have to worry about any additional costs if I don't want.  That's a nice feeling in addition to it being an incredible game that addresses many of the gameplay elements in other MMOs that have gotten very stale over the past 8-12 years.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I remember first hearing about this game and thinking it was going to be another clone that I'd already played a million times and wasted hours trying to get into with no luck... luckily ANet kept their promises and I'll finally be able to start collecting that phat loot and crafting tonight instead of avoiding key areas of the game because my stuff was just going to get wiped anyway...

Have fun all.

• jommybgoodjommybgood Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Nadia

prepurchases are still possible

heres the 3 digital sites ANET lists for NA  (my hong kong friend prepurchased yesterday using DLGamer)

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/retailers

Digital GameFly.com
      GreenManGaming.com
      DLGamer.com

Just an FYI...

GameFly is only selling the collector's edition at the time of this post.

GreenMan is selling both for $60 and $80.

DLGaming is selling standard for $56 ($4 off) and the deluxe edition for $75 ($5 off).

Actually You can enter the code DERHE-RRDER-RINGE at GreenMAn and get the price to 48.00! Dont know if anyone already made a post on this, just sharing to make sure! 

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by theniffrig

BTW, is it just me, or do i have a feeling the mmorpg.com staff as already decided on the final score their official review already? image

Hopefully not if their SWTOR launch-scores out of 10 article is anything to go by! Most of them gave that game 8/10's, and the guy who gave it a 6/10 they fired! Lets hope they give GW2 a good solid month or so before they send out the review, you know, let all the hype die down first.

It's possible to get to level cap in GW2 in a few weeks without killing yourself, so I would have thought that doable by MMORPG's review staff.

Oh yea? I didnt know that. I didnt realise anyone had leveled from 1 to 80 already. Dont get me wrong. You are probably right. I hope you are wrong, but you are probably right. But you should try not to state things as fact without actually knowing the facts.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

my final thought ....looks like rift

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I certainly don't see how GW2 is that innovative. They have changed some things when compared to WoW but it is really just another themepark. I think true change in MMOs will come from smaller indie developers. One of them will make it big with something and everyone will copy that.
  • MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    I just bought the game directly from ArenaNet and assume I have headstart. It still says that you get headstart below the edition options.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by odinsrath

good thing it plays/feels nothing like it:)  although I did liek Rift... games are nothing alike aside from both being fantasy

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

good thing it plays/feels nothing like it:)  although I did liek Rift... games are nothing alike aside from both being fantasy

I disagree.  Do I think Rift and GW2 are the same?  Heck no!  However, to say they aren't similar at all besides being Fantasy is not correct either.

Rift events are indeed similar to GW 2 dynamic events, not the same, but similar.

The graphic stylings are similar in both games, not the same, but similar.

Some of the classes are similar, again, not the same but similar.

Both games are themeparks, so again, similar.

It's not genuine to say they aren't similar at all.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I disagree.  Do I think Rift and GW2 are the same?  Heck no!  However, to say they aren't similar at all besides being Fantasy is not correct either.

Rift events are indeed similar to GW 2 dynamic events, not the same, but similar.

The graphic stylings are similar in both games, not the same, but similar.

Some of the classes are similar, again, not the same but similar.

Both games are themeparks, so again, similar.

It's not genuine to say they aren't similar at all.

I played both games very extensivley.. obviously way more so with Rift since I played it for 9 months.. but they play/feel nothing alike OVERALL you can nitpick features here and there and say some are similar but the overall feel of the games is nothing alike imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i will wait for 3 months before jumping on the gw2 wagon .