Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Interesting sneak peek at Guild Wars 2 economy.

BigGertyBigGerty Nashua, NHPosts: 27Member

I'm sure many of you have seen this posted on the Guild Wars 2 main site.  Pretty interesting to see where the gold is coming from.  I'm curious what changes they will make to keep the 50% equality distribution when the game starts to age...should be intersting.

Economy

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    Surprised that gold earned had rewards beating dynamic events, albeit not by very much. 
  • Spartan212Spartan212 Dearborn, MIPosts: 55Member

Interesting.  I had no idea there were monthlies :)

As for the other stuff, ANet said that they adjust gem and gold prices based on supply and demand so I don't forsee it being an issue when the population changes

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,503Member Uncommon
    Wow, it's really interesting to see the actual stats. Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it yet.
  • BigGertyBigGerty Nashua, NHPosts: 27Member
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Surprised that gold earned had rewards beating dynamic events, albeit not by very much. 

I'd figure that will probably be only a blip, given that many of those rewards are one time only, where dynamic events are repeatable.  It will be intersting to watch as the game ages, and I hope they keep posting information like this.  Helps show the how/why of ingame price fluctuations and inflation.

• GamefunGamefun Mesa, AZPosts: 290Member
    Never mind. I found it.
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    Where do you find this picture on the Guild Wars 2 website?.

Link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/john-smith-on-the-guild-wars-2-virtual-economy/

From John Smith, Anet's GW2 house economist.

• GamefunGamefun Mesa, AZPosts: 290Member
    Originally posted by BigGerty
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    Where do you find this picture on the Guild Wars 2 website?.

Link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/john-smith-on-the-guild-wars-2-virtual-economy/

From John Smith, Anet's GW2 house economist.

Thank you.

• rykim86rykim86 winnipeg, MBPosts: 236Member
    Hopefully that chart shuts up the people whining about Keys being in the Gem shop.  1% lol...so insignificant.
  • fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

Nice info, but such a tease. I really wanted the article to be much. much longer. :)

I think it's great they have a full time resident economist to track and tune the economy, rather than some game developer that just took an economics course in college. I also appreciate the goal of trying to have a better distribution of wealth across the playerbase. I'd love to know how they tune the influx of gold and the various cash sinks to achieve that.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Well, rewards appears to include map exploration and such.  As the game gets older, the only recurring rewards that'll be a big hit are the daily/monthly achievements, and that shouldn't be enough to be more than dynamic events. :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

Always impressed when a game hires a real world economist.

I guess with the market being game wide instead of server specific the meta matters a whole lot more to them.

• leinad312leinad312 Kirkland, WAPosts: 313Member
    That's really neat seeing the Lorenz curve in a video game publication, wish I took more economics courses in college.

Playing - FFXIV, TSW
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ESO

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon

Sad when something this important only has 2 pages of responses within hours of creation, yet make a thread about how the cash shop will destroy an economy and you'll have 20 pages of bandwagoners in minutes.

Hopefully this either gets a sticky, or gets added to one.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by fiontar

Nice info, but such a tease. I really wanted the article to be much. much longer. :)

I think it's great they have a full time resident economist to track and tune the economy, rather than some game developer that just took an economics course in college. I also appreciate the goal of trying to have a better distribution of wealth across the playerbase. I'd love to know how they tune the influx of gold and the various cash sinks to achieve that.

That is what I find most intriguing, since most of the options would entail altering drop rates or NPC item prices, which I'm sure would anger much of the fan base.  I originally thought they would be able to handle (and still may be) the fluctuations through the gem/gold exchange rate, but it seems they will allow the prices to adjust based on a free market trading model (with a ceiling and floor to avoid major price fluctuations...I'm assuming).

I wonder if they have a behavioral psychologist on staff as well...may be a good idea, since when the staff economist starts calling for WvW siege plans to cost 100 gold (..hehe...) so as to drain some value from the economy, bringing it closer to equality...I can see the angry posts now... :P

Originally posted by BadSpock

Always impressed when a game hires a real world economist.

I guess with the market being game wide instead of server specific the meta matters a whole lot more to them.

It is pretty cool...but do you actually think they will allow him to make the required adjustments to the model (price changes/drop rate adjustments/etc..), if the economy does start to fluctuated violently?

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Sad when something this important only has 2 pages of responses within hours of creation, yet make a thread about how the cash shop will destroy an economy and you'll have 20 pages of bandwagoners in minutes.

Hopefully this either gets a sticky, or gets added to one.

It's the nature of the beast...I suppose.  Most people will look at the economic chart in passing and say..."Oh cool...next post".

But I'm just happy that there are some people who do enjoy this sort of "hard economic data" (at least for a video game) as much as I do.   :)

• WinterhoundWinterhound Danbury, CTPosts: 66Member
    Does the trading post value chart (bottom right) suggest inflation (and a high rate at that too, in this case)? Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Winterhound
    Does the trading post value chart (bottom right) suggest inflation (and a high rate at that too, in this case)? Thoughts?

Expected inflation...I believe.  Early on, there will be many more items for sale in the trading post then there are buyers, so prices will be lower (supply/demand).  But as more gold becomes available, and demand rises, the prices will increase, which is why we see prices rise over time.  

This should steady as the economy stabilizes and should only grow gradually, with possibly a few major price fluctuations when someone sells a vast quantity of gems (I'm talking tens of thousands, if not hundreds), or a guild/alliance learns to manipulate certain commodity prices thorugh hording (creating shortages to drive up prices...i.e. monoply) or overselling.

However, if more gold is being pumped into the economy then is being removed (gold sinks), this trend could, theoretically, continue indefinitly.

• WinterhoundWinterhound Danbury, CTPosts: 66Member
    Originally posted by BigGerty
    Originally posted by Winterhound

Expected inflation...I believe.  Early on, there will be many more items for sale in the trading post then there are buyers, so prices will be lower (supply/demand).  But as more gold becomes available, and demand rises, the prices will increase, which is why we see prices rise over time.  

This should steady as the economy stabilizes and should only grow gradually, with possibly a few major price fluctuations when someone sells a vast quantity of gems (I'm talking tens of thousands, if not hundreds), or a guild/alliance learns to manipulate certain commodity prices thorugh hording (creating shortages to drive up prices...i.e. monoply) or overselling.

However, if more gold is being pumped into the economy then is being removed (gold sinks), this trend could, theoretically, continue indefinitly.

Hm, yeah, the data was collected during beta weekend and I think gems didn't come into play then. I guess the gems will be the major money sink to combat inflation....